Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,515Posts
    • 9,224Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 104
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 11th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    I will not harass my sol today - there is no point.

If my vendors get news about their mortgage provider accepting the indemnity insurance I'm sure they'll contact us. Of course they will

I will not email, I will not email

Instead since I'm off work I'm cooking slow roasted lamb (already in oven) with griddled veg for dinner and I'm going to do some match betting.

I will not email, I will not email
    Last edited by CommitedToChange; 11-01-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Received all the searches back and there is nothing back on the extension that was done to show building regs on the property we are buying just says refer to local land charges planning entries ?????

I had thought that there would be some kind of certificate stating what was done ????
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 11th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Littlebobo - when was it done? Yes there should be something showing it was signed off. Defo one to discuss with your solicitor.

This is what's is causing the delay for me as my vendors don't have anything for their onward purchase so waiting to see if their mortgage company will accept indemnity insurance.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 11th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    2007 I think ..we are very aware it's not been done to a high standard but at least thought that they would have got building regs for it ..one thing after another ..so fed up !
    • 22cuddles
    • By 22cuddles 11th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    22cuddles
    Havenít checked in for a while.

Our buyers have had problems with their mortgage application, finally approved only to find out their solicitor wasnít on their lenderís panel It appears this might now be resolved but solicitors have now sent over further enquiries yesterday, 7 months after buyers made their offer. Weíre very close to pulling out and putting it back on the market now as Iíve gone through every emotion over the last few months from stressed, fed up, upset and now heading rapidly towards getting stroppy!

Hope others are having better luck.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 8,181 Posts
    • 40,591 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear 22cuddles! Does sound like it's rather dragging on!

We didn't even check for building regs - the extension on the one we're buying was built in the 70s though so if it was going to fall down or the council was going to object I suspect it's likely it would have happened by now... Did have a full buildings survey done though (plenty wrong with the original house but not much with the extension other than a bit of damp round the chimney).

Chased our estate agent today as we're now 22 weeks in and 6 weeks since our buyers accepted a new offer on their house after their original buyer pulled out. Apparently our buyers' solicitor has just responded to queries from the new person's solicitor, which suggests the searches are back, so if everything's ok with the answers then we shouldn't be too far off

But we were at this point back in November so I won't be holding my breath just yet
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 11th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    Our solicitors stated when we signed that they want paying upon completion - we paid £200 up front to start searches.

Would you take that to mean the day of completion we pay them? I don't want to keep bothering them with daft questions, but an unexpected car expense, and the vendors pushing for an earlier exchange and completion that we'd anticipated means we're a little short (bar using our agree overdraft) on solicitors fees.
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 11th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Our solicitors stated when we signed that they want paying upon completion - we paid £200 up front to start searches.

Would you take that to mean the day of completion we pay them? I don't want to keep bothering them with daft questions, but an unexpected car expense, and the vendors pushing for an earlier exchange and completion that we'd anticipated means we're a little short (bar using our agree overdraft) on solicitors fees.
    Originally posted by Firsttimebuyers
    I think confirming payment dates are the kinds of questions they are happy to deal with!

Mortgage- £415,836
    BTL- £162,782

• Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 11th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    I think confirming payment dates are the kinds of questions they are happy to deal with!
    Originally posted by FloppyDisk

True! We were going along happily thinking completion would be February, so this sudden push for a quick completion has thrown us slightly.
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 11th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    I did it - I didn't email my sol. Of course they haven't contacted me so I'm not sure this is a win.

Sigh. Still in club frustrated.

Firstime- I paid my fees at the same time I paid my deposit ready to exchange. That was back in December and still hasn't happened. But hey my money is safe in their client account.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 11th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    First time - we paid upfront made it easier also i didn't feel guilty hassling them because they had my money already

So apparently the extension was done 30 years ago and the local council don't keep any record of consent older than this ...mmmm convenient ..anyway have asked for indemnity but SIGH ..hoping that is the right decision ..

I'm lucky that my estate agents are really good ..mostly i think because we are buying and selling with them so they have a lot to lose or gain depending on how you look at it !
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 11th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Drove past the new house tonight - the estate agents 'sold' sign is gone! It was still up last week. Other half says it means nothing, wind probably blew it over etc etc. I'm catastrophising that the vendor has changed his mind but not told anyone. What do the sage minds of MSE think? Our solicitor haa been chasing for building regs and planning permission for a good few weeks now, though they have recieved some verbal responses to other enquiries from the vendors solicitor on jan 3rd.
    • Midwifelife
    • By Midwifelife 11th Jan 18, 7:10 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Midwifelife
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and I'm a first time buyer with no chain. Our venders have already moved out and bought another property outright. Have been reading everyone's posts and frustrations for the last month or so to try and keep my own sanity !!!128514; I'm at the point of frustration now that I need a rant! This is our timeline:

October 17th: viewed and put in offer.
    October 20th: offer accepted.
    October 27th: all documents provided to mortgage advisor, given AIP and solicitors instructed.
    November 7th: 2nd viewing to show family.
    November 10th: mortgage offer.
    November 22nd: searches requested by solicitors and prompted venders solicitors to chase draft contacts as no documentation had been returned from vendors at this point.
    November 23rd: vendors apologise saying they thought they had already given in all documentation but found all papers in a box and ensure us they will send asap.
    4th December: contract documentation received by solicitors and 5 enquiries raised.
    14th December: mortgage deeds and contracts signed by us.
    10th January: EA and vendors solicitors prompt vendors for the hundredth time to answer enquiries. Deposit funds sent over to ensure no delays on our behalf when vendors finally decide to get their bums into gear and answer the remaining 4 enquiries!

Now just waiting. My frustrations lie with the vendors!! Don't understand why they are taking so long with all their paperwork!! You'd think they'd want a quick sale considering they aren't even living in the property we are purchasing anymore.
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 11th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    mutley74
    still nothing from my solicitor since Monday. I emailed them on Tuesday and again today - no phone back. Supposedly completing 2 weeks tomorrow, and an admin still not resolved.
    Thinking if i should message vendor if he knows what is happening? (as i need to plan my work schedule for the next few weeks).
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 11th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Drove past the new house tonight - the estate agents 'sold' sign is gone! It was still up last week. Other half says it means nothing, wind probably blew it over etc etc. I'm catastrophising that the vendor has changed his mind but not told anyone. What do the sage minds of MSE think? Our solicitor haa been chasing for building regs and planning permission for a good few weeks now, though they have recieved some verbal responses to other enquiries from the vendors solicitor on jan 3rd.
    Originally posted by JaneyLouWho
    I'd say calm down phone the estate agents in the morning and ask ?
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 11th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and I'm a first time buyer with no chain. Our venders have already moved out and bought another property outright. Have been reading everyone's posts and frustrations for the last month or so to try and keep my own sanity !!!128514; I'm at the point of frustration now that I need a rant! This is our timeline:

October 17th: viewed and put in offer.
    October 20th: offer accepted.
    October 27th: all documents provided to mortgage advisor, given AIP and solicitors instructed.
    November 7th: 2nd viewing to show family.
    November 10th: mortgage offer.
    November 22nd: searches requested by solicitors and prompted venders solicitors to chase draft contacts as no documentation had been returned from vendors at this point.
    November 23rd: vendors apologise saying they thought they had already given in all documentation but found all papers in a box and ensure us they will send asap.
    4th December: contract documentation received by solicitors and 5 enquiries raised.
    14th December: mortgage deeds and contracts signed by us.
    10th January: EA and vendors solicitors prompt vendors for the hundredth time to answer enquiries. Deposit funds sent over to ensure no delays on our behalf when vendors finally decide to get their bums into gear and answer the remaining 4 enquiries!

Now just waiting. My frustrations lie with the vendors!! Don't understand why they are taking so long with all their paperwork!! You'd think they'd want a quick sale considering they aren't even living in the property we are purchasing anymore.
    Originally posted by Midwifelife
    Welcome MidwifeLife ...our vendors are a total pain in the bum given we thought that it would be easy to buy from them as the property is vacant they are just taking forever and everyone else in the chain beneath us is getting rather annoyed :/

Good luck im sure you will be in before you know it
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 11th Jan 18, 8:47 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    still nothing from my solicitor since Monday. I emailed them on Tuesday and again today - no phone back. Supposedly completing 2 weeks tomorrow, and an admin still not resolved.
    Thinking if i should message vendor if he knows what is happening? (as i need to plan my work schedule for the next few weeks).
    Originally posted by mutley74
    That is really poor Mutley, I took to driving to my sol's but as they are only 5 mins down the road it's easy for me to do this ..i hear some real horror stories about the poor service people get and feel grateful that mine isn't 'too' bad !
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 11th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    mutley74
    That is really poor Mutley, I took to driving to my sol's but as they are only 5 mins down the road it's easy for me to do this ..i hear some real horror stories about the poor service people get and feel grateful that mine isn't 'too' bad !
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    will call sol tomorrow, potentially if vendor does not resolve the covenant restriction issue which had been raised by their sol in November, and i made my case clear early December i want it formally approved by the council, the deal will be further delayed.
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 11th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    Evening Everyone!!

News today
    Sellers Solicitors received the redemption certificate today and have double checked with sellers that amounts are correct before sending to ours...that was about 5pm
    So should hear from our solicitor tomorrow and she predicted Exchange

So watch this space
    Hope everyone else is fine and dandy xxx
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 12th Jan 18, 5:55 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Nearly there Sassy! Fingers and toes crossed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

7,942Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin