Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Dashcam: Do you have one in your vehicle

Yes - I fitted it

63.72% • 144 votes

Yes - it was already in when I bought the vehicle

0% • 0 votes

No

36.28% • 82 votes

You may not vote on this poll

226 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 27th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 9,003Posts
    • 21,788Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Dashcam: do you have one fitted in your vehicle?
    • 27th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    Dashcam: do you have one fitted in your vehicle? 27th Jul 17 at 10:54 AM
    Hi folks

We're interested in what the level of dashcam ownership is on the Forum.

Do you have one?

Did you fit it or was it already fitted when you bought the vehicle?

If you have one, have you ever needed to use it for insurance purposes?

Let us know

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Matt; 02-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 4
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 20th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Not got one but wish I had ....
    Originally posted by xpf
    Me too- I've only had one incident in the past 20 years or so, but it was a classic;

...a driver, late for the school run, in Kimikaze mode, who stopped unexpectedly in front of me, then reversed 10 metres or so (to park or turn?) , biffed me, then, after getting home decided to lie, revise their memory, and contact their insurer to accuse me of driving into them!

My insurer said that without witnesses, it wasn't even worth me invoking my legal protection to force her to lie in court... GRRR.

What really hurt more than the damage was that, as they weren't returning my calls (we exchanged names and telephone numbers but I didn't get their address), I googled 'em; to find that they had so comprehensively laundered the truth that they were now slagging me off on facebook as

... an "old git in a hat" (actually, a rather stylish trilby) who had driven into them. Lots of sympathy... " the ones in hats are the worst!

Last laugh? Their claim exceeded their excess by £19 and I bet they lost their no-claim! I had a gazillion years of protected no-claim so no lasting impact on premium in my case; Roll with the blows, smile and move on.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 20th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 20,429 Posts
    • 12,652 Thanks
    dacouch
    My dashcam came in handy recently when a Traffic Warden took offence when I corrected him that I was entitled to unload in a permit bay.

My cam continues recording after I park and showed him ignoring me showing him a print out from his own councils website stating it is permitted. It also recorded him ignoring me carrying boxes from my vehicle to an adjacent building and issuing a ticket.

It even picked him up hanging around my vehicle and laughing at me about the ticket.

Amusingly when I returned to the vehicle fully laden with boxes it even picked up my arm knocking an empty drink bottle off a wheelie bin that was in the road. The CEO promptly threatened to issue me a ticket for littering, when I watched the footage back, it was the CEO who had dumped the empty bottle on top of the bin.

A letter of complaint along with the footage resulted in him being disciplined.

Live by the sword, die by the sword
    • Evertonized
    • By Evertonized 20th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Evertonized
    Really interesting to see how many have got dashcams installed! I didn't think it would be that high.

I haven't yet, but plan to get one installed.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 20th Nov 17, 9:42 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Really interesting to see how many have got dashcams installed! I didn't think it would be that high.

I haven't yet, but plan to get one installed.
    Originally posted by Evertonized
    How can you tell its 'that high'? Only people interested in and with dash cams have bothered to reply.

I don't have one and don't intend getting one. There its a bit lower now.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 22nd Nov 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    did give footage to another driver after they were involved in a crash in front of me.
    Originally posted by Huskydays
    Ditto, we have after-market ones fitted in all our cars and have supplied footage to third-parties after witnessing a collision.

My theory is that the £200 or so the cam cost
    Originally posted by Nilrem
    £200?!?! You can pick up full 1080p HD dashcams for as little as £20, at that sort of price it's a bit of a no-brainer.

Dashcam 1080p HD for £20
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Interesting that the option for fitted with the car is blank.

I was talking with a product manager for one of the big manufacturers, and he was querying with his team why, when they have cameras all over the vehicle for all the intelligence like lane detection, and that they are saving the images for diagnostics, why isn't this feed made available to the customer?

The team apparently were paranoid about privacy, even though the car is clearly already doing its best to break data protection laws. My mate thought a tick box option on the car would have covered it.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 8th Mar 18, 5:24 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    I've got a Nextbase front-facing camera. Has helped me twice in just a few months - one with a car hitting mine in a car park, and again recently when I was rear-ended.

But what is the point of a rear-facing camera?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    • 5,937 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Here's mine in the snow last week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L6JeBrRhQ8
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    EssexExile

But what is the point of a rear-facing camera?
    Originally posted by Deastons
    It would've helped identify the chap that drove into the back of the wife's car last week. We got the vehicle on the front facing camera as he passed but there is no proof that he was the one who hit her.

And many other scenarios.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Mabr
    • By Mabr 8th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Mabr
    Fitted just in time
    I fitted my dashcam on a Sunday night after much nagging from my OH. Two days later I was involved in an incident with a cyclist who seemed to appear from nowhere and land in front of my car. I thought I’d hit them but was basically stationary at the time, waiting to pull out of an entrance. The footage showed they had cycled up the footpath, from the wrong direction and ‘fallen off’ in front of my car - there wasn’t a smudge in the dirt on the car! It was all very suspect and as soon as they saw me and my passenger reviewing the dashcam footage they quickly took off! I wouldn’t be without one now - I think the outcome may have been very different!
    • patman99
    • By patman99 8th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 8,195 Posts
    • 9,653 Thanks
    patman99
    Fitted one myself a year back. Records plenty of bad driving, but cannot be bothered to add my footage to the pile already on youtube.

Interestingly, every time I take my car in for a service or MOT, they unplug the dashcam. Before it goes in again I intend to hardwire the dashcam and superglue the power lead into the camera to stop them pulling it out.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £1000/ £1000 (that's 100%)

3-6 month EF £631.65/£3600 (that's 10 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    fatrab
    A few years ago I had a 9 month fight with my insurance company following a non fault claim. A dashcam at the time would have resolved the case in 30 seconds so to me the dashcams we have fitted in all 3 family vehicles are a necessary evil.

I'm not a believer in sharing the instances of bad driving that I see, but in the event of an accident or incident being recorded I would happily share it with the involved parties.

We have Transcend dashcams, very easy to use and their customer support is fantastic. One of ours developed a fault and they couldn't have been more efficient in resolving the issue.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 21/31 AFDs, 13/18 lunches.
    37 x £2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 9th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    I have a DrivePro 220 and I wouldn't be without it. DH got it for me when I kept complaining about being bullied all the time in the Fiesta I used to drive. It's very user friendly but doesn't have motion detection - just records on a loop when the engine is running. I generally use it to show DH some of the p*ss poor driving I see on a day to day basis so we can have a bit of a laugh.

Seriously though, I've had some close calls (people pulling out from side roads in front of me going down a national speed limit road and then giving me the finger) and it gives me general peace of mind. It also makes me a better driver as I'm aware that if I cause an accident, it will all be on camera! I'm now looking for a budget rear cam due to a bit of tailgating I've been experiencing lately. Being a blonde female seems to be like a red rag to a bull sometimes I'm afraid. Unfortunately, I live in an area extremely popular with boy racers and aggressive middle-aged men making up for their small wotsits in enormous 4x4s

EDIT: Before I get lambasted for being sexist/bigoted - please take my last comment to be the light-hearted gag it clearly is
    Last edited by Piggywinkle; 09-03-2018 at 2:45 PM.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 9th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 4,490 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Fitted one myself a year back. Records plenty of bad driving, but cannot be bothered to add my footage to the pile already on youtube.

Interestingly, every time I take my car in for a service or MOT, they unplug the dashcam. Before it goes in again I intend to hardwire the dashcam and superglue the power lead into the camera to stop them pulling it out.
    Originally posted by patman99
    Garages I take my car into do that as well, it's annoying as it's all wired around the car and into the centre console where the charger is, no reason at all to unplug it. Annoyingly causes issues with digital radio, have reduced it with shielded cable and RF blockers on each end but it's not perfect (though might also be black spots when I drive). Pondering also hard wiring at some point
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Car 54
    I fitted my dashcam on a Sunday night after much nagging from my OH. Two days later I was involved in an incident with a cyclist who seemed to appear from nowhere and land in front of my car. I thought I’d hit them but was basically stationary at the time, waiting to pull out of an entrance. The footage showed they had cycled up the footpath, from the wrong direction and ‘fallen off’ in front of my car - there wasn’t a smudge in the dirt on the car! It was all very suspect and as soon as they saw me and my passenger reviewing the dashcam footage they quickly took off! I wouldn’t be without one now - I think the outcome may have been very different!
    Originally posted by Mabr
    Which is the right direction to cycle on a footpath?
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Mar 18, 6:15 AM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    cjdavies
    No.

I should have one though, front and rear.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 10-03-2018 at 6:19 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,744Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin