MSE News: No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports

Options
MoneySavingExpert.com is calling on 18 UK international airports to offer free drinking water fountains to passengers in their departure lounges...
Read the full story:
'No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 2:54PM
    Options
    In other non first world problem water news, children are dying from dirty water in the Yemen https://www.oxfam.org.uk/bucket
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    For more than a decade, passengers have not been allowed to take liquids of more than 100ml through security at airports – meaning they're often forced to purchase expensive bottled water once airside.

I buy Buxton bottled water from Boots airside, I think it's a 750ml (maybe 500ml) sports bottle, usually on offer 2 for £2.

Not sure how that compares with the High Street price but I wouldn't exactly call it 'expensive'.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And all the eateries will give free tap water.

Another MSE click-bait non-story, yawn.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the price of a bottle of water is of so much concern then the passengers who struggle to afford it should probably not be flying in the first place.
  • PosterBoy77
    PosterBoy77 Posts: 358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can afford to buy water, but I think it is a wasteful and bad for the environment to force people to buy bottled water which has been trucked all over the country or even across Europe. I also hate being forced to buy something I forcibly have to give up. Filling up a bottle with tap water is entirely reasonable.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    mikael wrote: »
    I also hate being forced to buy something I forcibly have to give up

Why would you have to give it up?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    If the price of a bottle of water is of so much concern then the passengers who struggle to afford it should probably not be flying in the first place.
    If saving money is not a concern then people should probably not be reading moneysavingexpert.com in the first place.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    In other non first world problem water news, children are dying from dirty water in the Yemen https://www.oxfam.org.uk/bucket
    Whereas here we're wastefully paying for water we could get free just because we can and it's mere trivial loose change for us.

Personally I'd prefer to donate my loose change to the likes of Oxfam rather than lazily spending it boosting airport retailers' profits.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mikael wrote: »
    I can afford to buy water, but I think it is a wasteful and bad for the environment to force people to buy bottled water which has been trucked all over the country or even across Europe. I also hate being forced to buy something I forcibly have to give up. Filling up a bottle with tap water is entirely reasonable.

You don't have to 'forcibly give up' water if you don't bring it to the airport in the first place.

TBH I'm amazed at the number of people who feel it necessary to buy a bottle of water, drink a 1/4 of it then throw it in the bin before they go through security. If they had an ounce of common sense, they would have waited until after security to buy it.

As it is, you can take an empty bottle with you if you wish and fill it p at the fountains where available or ask any of the eateries to fill it up with tap water.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Alan_Cross
    Alan_Cross Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    The bottled water business generally is a racket, built largely on combination of people's ignorance and oneupmanship. 50 years ago it didn't exist and amazingly, nobody died of thirst. I never buy the stuff and I recommend heartily that nobody else should do so.

Go green, for God's sake. Ditch all this ridiculous plastic and totally unnecessary refrigeration.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure