Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 15,357Posts
    • 51,477Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge 12 - 008
Page 33
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Aug 18, 6:43 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,895 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope it went well
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 11th Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Can the rabbits not go out now?
    Originally posted by Pooky
    Yes, but I am away next weekend, and Mum wasn't keen on having them outside to look after. So they will move out when I am back (bit close to end of holidays but the vaccinations were late too.)

Hope it went well
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Hmmmm.

Well

Well.

No.

I have tried on EVERYTHING I OWN. My back hurts? Weird.

I have a big bag of donations.

I have 4 dresses that make me look like a multi-coloured doughnut. Which for some reason I am keeping - well I know the reason - one day I will be a thinner healthier doughnut and they will look good. Plus I loathe and detest clothes shopping.

The rest of the wardrobe is ok, decent tops for work, need skirts. Out of work wardrobe iffy. 4 decent "going out dresses" but no cardies or jackets.

When I am away I will do some shopping.

I have made progress, room and yesterday I phoned the scary Mary tax office. And have sorted my tax code. Very nice man.

I apparently get the over paid tax in my August pay but I will believe that when I see it.

XXX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,895 Thanks
    beanielou
    You do NOT look like a donut

Good news on the tax xxx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 36,518 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I have 4 dresses that make me look like a multi-coloured doughnut.
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    Rather a donut than a potato - which is how I feel trying clothes on I bet you look amazing...
    December in the Tardis #16 nsd = 9 New life = new debt
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 12th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    You do NOT look like a donut

Good news on the tax xxx
    I really do... you know where doughnut sort of creases......

Rather a donut than a potato - which is how I feel trying clothes on I bet you look amazing...
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Lets just say we both aren't overly thrilled with our shape Silhouette wise there probably isn't much between a doughnut and a potato!! And at least you are doing something about it, well impressed with the trainer and the 3.5 weight loss!
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 12th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady

Also I bet you look amazing, you definitely move about more than I do!! I would only look amazing to doughnut lovers!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,895 Thanks
    beanielou
    Buffster~~As I have met you I can REALLY say you do not look like a donut! xxx

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 12th Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffster~~As I have met you I can REALLY say you do not look like a donut! xxx
    A Potato then

Beanie you are too kind, really too kind XXX
    thank you XXX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,895 Thanks
    beanielou
    It seems so long ago Buffster.
    B was still at school!!
    xxx

***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Aug 18, 12:10 AM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 10,060 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Buffy, you are not a donut or a potato. And you might be interested in this - lots of free stuff, and the fb group is fabulous.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 12%

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 32,294 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I'm struggling with the donut comparison. What kind of donut? Jam filled or with a hole in the middle?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 71,743.47, target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 412.27 target 5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund 1,100/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 13th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I'm struggling with the donut comparison. What kind of donut? Jam filled or with a hole in the middle?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Jam for sure. all squidgey and round!

and incapable of this -
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 13th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Another 100 Days
    Ok, Amara is running 100 days challenge from today till 21 November.

I went looking for a new challenge you see.

I need something to shift my bum. I can tread water quite well, managing life, work etc and have made progress in terms of organisation (savings for Christmas is now a normal thing,) I don't buy things like magazines or clothes on a whim.

However the animals are costly. My random presents/food/garden shopping is a cost.

So................current loan is 3898. By the 21st of Nov I want it to be 3000.

If I get a decent tax rebate it might be lower but I suspect I will need that to pay off the credit card and reinstate some of the emergency fund.

Too hot and tired but by the 21st of Nov I want to be ready for Christmas, be exercising regularly and be eating at least 3 (I know it is five but baby steps, I exist on chocolate and biscuits) fruits or veg each day.

I also want the house decluttered. All room usable.

Each day I will make progress towards these goals.

xxx
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 14th Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    After fighting so hard to be positive yesterday and starting the day well today with getting things done - animals and washing (!) I just crashed. I don't know why. I managed breakfast ok, and then just got lower and lower. I feel like everything here in this house is insurmountable. I had have time to do things (and I have) but my mum's constant negativity is wearing. The first couple of weeks at home were good - holiday, visiting friends, out to dinner, shopping, interspersed with work on the house. But after that I stayed in, friends on holiday, dentists (!) and it has just been Mum and I and we have a good time - so long as it is just food and light easy plans nothing big. And it is all big. So nothing done really.

And I am so tired. I sleep for about 3 hours in the afternoon at the moment. And feel hideous.

Am away on Thursday, with a mate for a drunken weekend with her family. Trouble is that is stressing me out too as it is only a week and a bit till I got back to work. And the house will still be a mess. And this breaks my heart. I cannot manage everything if I don't have space and organisation.

There is enough time. Ultimately I just have to be disciplined. Me. And I have to put the glass cloche over my head when Mum is being negative (I worked out a long time ago that she has low expectations and is highly protective - it comes out in funny ways)and push on. Until it is done.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Aug 18, 9:09 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 12,855 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Buffy, you are not a donut or a potato. And you might be interested in this - lots of free stuff, and the fb group is fabulous.

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Seconded - transformational in the way I think about what I wear and how I feel about the way I look.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 12,855 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Much sympathy on your last post, can only suggest that you break it down into small steps.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,895 Thanks
    beanielou
    Keep plodding xxx

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 14th Aug 18, 10:57 PM
    • 15,357 Posts
    • 51,477 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Seconded - transformational in the way I think about what I wear and how I feel about the way I look.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I have had a read. I don't know. I like being a plain jane and loathe clothes shopping. Funnily enough my RL friend had her colours done, she loved it, thing is she is a size ten and blond so there isn't much that looks bad on her to start with!

Much sympathy on your last post, can only suggest that you break it down into small steps.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Yes.
    That is hard to do with mum, she wants things tidied away in the same day.

Keep plodding xxx
    I shall.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 15th Aug 18, 2:03 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    badmemory
    Keep plodding fine - but GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK. Time to think about what YOU would do what YOU would choose.

Maybe it is time to try the dump it method. You pick the room that has the most space (to dump it). Then you choose the room that needs the least clearing. Then you dump everything from that room into the other. Then you only put back what can seriously be given a home & the rest - you dump it. Just dumping obviously isn't the most MSE, but is sometimes the only sanity preserving, solution.

I have found that STUFF is a problem. It is there, it is in your face (even if actually in your loft), you need to get rid of it but you can't or not that easily. I have STUFF in my loft since 1990/1 & I think I have got rid of half of it.

So anyone in the market for every Agatha Christie book in paperback? I may have a couple of very late books missing as I stopped commuting back in 1976. I never really figured out why the journey in was 23 mins but out again was 24 mins but I hear it is 30 mins now. Progress is a wonderful thing!

As for clothes shopping - I hated it 50 years ago & it hasn't got any better.
    Last edited by badmemory; 15-08-2018 at 2:07 AM.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 10,060 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I have had a read. I don't know. I like being a plain jane and loathe clothes shopping. Funnily enough my RL friend had her colours done, she loved it, thing is she is a size ten and blond so there isn't much that looks bad on her to start with!
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    I'm not keen on clothes shopping itself either - I don't like the crowds or most of the experience - but I don't have to do as much now I know better what works for me, and get more use of what's already in my wardrobe and a much improved hit rate with 3bay and online orders. And you are perfectly entitled to stick with plain if that's what you like - one of the things I love about that site and the group is that it really does support everyone in developing their own style, not pushing you into someone else's.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 12%

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

2,551Users online

Martin's Twitter