Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 15,288Posts
    • 50,956Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
Page 23
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 17th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    The honeyed thighs made me ill!

Well I think it was that anyhow.

Not bee well since Sunday morning. Sunday was horrendous. The dogs poor things have had an awful time of it. They are such a mess and I am deeply upset about it. Today they were ill and once I had cleared up, I it better than to give them any food but dog two got so anxious that he didn't get his treat he started to shake and drool. He is a bag of nerves and Dog one is totally withdrawn. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my pets and today has just devastated me. It is a shame really as yesterday ( I left work early but couldn't today) we went for a walk and went to see my sister and we had a lovely time. Just left them too long today.

But there is nothing I can do this week. Just got to get them through the next 3 days in one piece. Or as near as I can.

Then next week I will make the downstairs areas a bit more interesting, up the adaptil and leave blankets I have had around me with them. I might find some toys again for them.

Both are asleep on the sofa now. I am at a loss as to what to feed them.

I don't have any other news apart from I am so so tired, but taught good lessons today.

Had turned the heating off but bloody freezing now!
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 6,132 Posts
    • 41,430 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Another one here who turned off the heating yesterday and turned it back on today.

My dog is so fussy. I got her some posh dog food and she won't touch it, she prefers the cheap stuff, she's such a chav LOL The cat likes the posh dog food so it won't be wasted.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,546 Thanks
    beanielou
    Why are the dogs not at their best Buffy?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 17th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Why are the dogs not at their best Buffy?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    They are so upset with out Mum, me leaving for work is very normal but but being alone is very stressful for them esp as the idiot next door has the big dog barking away.

I dozed off and they woke me up eating my remaining oven chips.... and then wanted a treat for finishing their "dinner"

ugh.

they got one........

Both settled after that.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 22nd Apr 18, 12:10 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    ok.........so in some ways I am doing better - dogs are better and eating. doing well on walks. Work is ok, home not so much.

I don't want to go into huge details here but I had a major problem with my neighbour on Thursday. I ended up calling 101 and it is now with the police for further investigation.

This means I need to pay to put up a fence. I have a quote from my gardener that it will be 1500 pounds.

I am thinking for piece of mind re neighbour watching me and allowing the dog to bark at mine (which will lead to either dog jumping the current 3/4 foot fence and God knows what would happen then.) 1500 pounds is a fair price.

Just need to work out the money.

Life is too short.

xxxx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,546 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey, I dident think it would be so dear.
    Hope you can work out thre money xxx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 23rd Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Blimey, I dident think it would be so dear.
    Hope you can work out thre money xxx
    If I am completely honest I think it is too much for what I am getting but as is usual in my life I don't have time to wait for other companies to give me a quote and if I wait till Mum comes home she won't do it and we won't be able to use the garden freely.

And since it is a big part of my sanity and my future I need the garden.

Had salmon for dinner. It was really nice.

Expensive mind. but also dinner tomorrow night.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 23rd Apr 18, 9:15 PM
    • 6,132 Posts
    • 41,430 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ugh Buffy the neighbour sounds dire Big hug from me xx
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 24th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    The neighbour is dire.

I have e mailed four more fence people, one can't give an estimate till May 12th.

The others haven't answered yet.

I decided after reading my post from yesterday that Mum would just have to put up with the fence being built. I only have two weeks till she returns and I can't rush spending this amount of money.

Ultimately she won't use the garden till the neighbour problem is solved

so there we are.

Current CC bill,

180 for hotel for wedding, ,
    40 on phone top up (for Mum whilst abroad)
    53 pounds on Sainburys (less a two pound refund for something..)

Best go feed the dogs (emergency vets yesterday 114 pounds)

they have upset tummies post vaccinations.... so much fun!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,546 Thanks
    beanielou
    It just never stops Buffy

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 24th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    It just never stops Buffy
    I am kinda feeling like that. I am sure it will pass. My aunt sent me a picture of my Dad as a boy and I miss him so much. So much.

In some good news my friend wants to go on holiday to somewhere silly like Spain so will make that plan in a few weeks.

Ugh. the weeks are hard at the moment guys.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,546 Thanks
    beanielou
    I miss my dad too.
    6 years

Good news on a holiday adventure

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 24th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Hugs Beanie XX

I was doing really quite well before BIL got sick and whilst obviously my sister and him have been most affected everything - all my plans for the last year have been on hold. And now the pressure is off for me to an extent I just don't have the fight in me. And I definitely need a new job.

i haven't the energy for either!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,546 Thanks
    beanielou
    No wonder you have no energy.
    Hopefully you can regroup at some point.

***Keep plodding***
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 25th Apr 18, 7:26 AM
    • 6,906 Posts
    • 44,011 Thanks
    Pooky
    How's your BIL doing?
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 25th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 6,132 Posts
    • 41,430 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It's one expense after another for you at the moment. Everything seems to have happened at once. I think you're going to have to get the fence done for your own sanity. I know it's expensive, anything to do with gardens usually is.
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    No wonder you have no energy.
    Hopefully you can regroup at some point.
    I have temporarily given up marking some classes. The dogs are now on day four of diarrhoea, poor boys. They have had chicken and rice the last two nights and it has helped.

How's your BIL doing?
    Originally posted by Pooky
    This is an awkward one, I think he is doing ok, I have been round with the dogs once or twice a week and take shopping and when I am there all seems good, my sister loves a routine so they are working that out with the carers. He looks SO much better than when he was in hospital. Although he doesn't remember home directly he says he feels safe there. She can't leave him tho and even if you are in the kitchen (making drinks) he calls out and gets...concerned. So it is an enormously steep learning curve. I am worried about my sister. She hasn't left the house since he came home, I get it he can't so she won't. Plus he doesn't like being left alone. the whole situation is just so unreal. But I will do what I can.

It's one expense after another for you at the moment. Everything seems to have happened at once. I think you're going to have to get the fence done for your own sanity. I know it's expensive, anything to do with gardens usually is.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I think ...........I try and think I can technically afford this, being in debt has happened so easily and I am so rubbish with money but my credit rating is good so I am lucky I can do this. It does make me so angry but he isn't every going to turn out sane in my view. So to protect Mum the dogs and me I will do it. Sounds a bit dramatic I know! but it is how I feel after Thursday.

Had a nice dinner of omelette and chips tonight. yum.

XXX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,546 Thanks
    beanielou
    I dont envy your sister

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I dont envy your sister
    No, I really don't know how that will work out. I don't know.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 26th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 6,906 Posts
    • 44,011 Thanks
    Pooky
    If she speaks to the GP or care team they should be able to get him sorted with a wheelchair so they can at least get out and about (ramps can be put in for him to get out of the house). Getting out and about was what saved my sanity after E's accident.

Does he have family that can visit and take over for a few hours so she can get out on her own?

And poor dogs! They seem to have very sensitive tummies, does stress set them off? Is there a dog version of feliway? Maybe that would help.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

597Posts Today

5,040Users online

Martin's Twitter