Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 15,170Posts
    • 49,946Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
Page 19
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 1st Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 28,865 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Just make sure that it's spent on things that will enhance your life.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,897.72, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 227.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 2nd Mar 18, 5:26 PM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 49,946 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    another snow day - which is lovely like a respite from the job, days off without guilt or expectation.

Mum's isn't well tho. bad cough. Due to the snow (I don't if anyone has noticed but we have had a bit of snow ) she hasn't been giving my sister lifts and I think the rest has allowed her to slow down and relax and well......with all of us that tends to lead to illness!

Despite my natural tendency to be lazy the women in this family were made to keep going! If we stop we really stop!

The money is in my bank now. I have left 3000 to buy a car, moved the other two to my other current accounts and set it up so a 1000 pounds cycles through all the accounts (leaving a 100 or so in each one) to get a little interest until I pay for stuff like the dentist and the garden.

Feel a bit sick if I am honest.

But something has to happen!

In other news, well there isn't any! three snow days has meant I have done nothing
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 54,128 Posts
    • 214,722 Thanks
    beanielou
    Dont feel sick Buffy.
    You have done what is best for you at this moment in time.
    Hope your mum is on the mend soon.
    Take care of you xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 2nd Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 28,865 Thanks
    in need of direction
    what beanie said
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,897.72, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 227.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Progress not perfection.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 3rd Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Hi Buffy, just a lurker popping in to send you some solidarity and strong thoughts. Sounds like you have been having a very tough time of things so don't beat yourself up about the loan. You have the rebate coming and it's not a massive amount of money to pay back in the scheme of things.

I am heartily fed up with the snow now - two days at home this week and I have cabin fever. Pathetic as when I have work five days a week all I want is a day at home. And as soon as I have it I start to go mad in a slightly different way!

I really really hope something shifts in a positive direction for you and your family soon. Spring must be on its way which should health. Book yourself a holiday! Is it worth posting an SOA to see if it would have you focus on saving a bit more? I know you know your stuff though so ignore me if it's the last thing you want to do.

Hope you get a new car sorted very soon. M100
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 54,128 Posts
    • 214,722 Thanks
    beanielou
    Day 5 of snow here now

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 37,631 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Don't feel bad about the loan Buffy, at least you know you can afford to repay it and it will get you sorted with all the things you need to pay out. I felt the same when I re-mortgaged to do my house up, I'm so pleased I took the plunge now.

Hope your mum feels better soon xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 250.33
    Debt 2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 4th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 49,946 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    In 2013 I borrowed 7000 to pay for a car (which was totalled whilst parked) my Masters and the boiler. I had forgotten about it.

I bought my current car with a tax rebate and savings. I paid for the bathroom with savings. I am so all or nothing!

I paid it off, some how and went to Munich for a weekend with a very good friend who I chatted to this very afternoon - i do love her, so understanding and supportive. So I haven't left the country since 2013 not 2011. Not so bad.

It is quite funny reading my old diaries, sometimes I can tell that I was really happy - even if I don't directly say.

It did lead to some horrible thoughts, there was one bit where I was moaning (I know - a shock! about family and I realised as I was reading it that that would never happen again and how much more relaxed I was. Felt bad.

I don't think I said but Mum has been really ill this weekend, had whatever I had last weekend. I have never in my life known her to be this ill. This is the second time - first was in the summer. But yesterday I thought I would be getting an ambulance. I am very worried about her, she went to bed yesterday, like in the afternoon and on Friday ordered loads of stuff on Sainsbury's we didn't need and didn't remember doing it.

In other news - how have you people kept up with me? I at least used to be funny but recent diaries I have been tired and had toothache! And SO ill so often - no wonder Beanie spends half her life telling me to go to the doctors!

It is funny tho, reading it all again, I haven't done that badly. I mean I am a disaster as far as money is concerned! You wouldn't believe how much I am laughing as I type this! 2016 sucked in a lot of ways but there was always an upside and 2017 taught me SO much it is unbelievable.

I had better post this, been here hours.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 4th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 49,946 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Plans for tomorrow, as well as Work Obviously!

1. Ring gardener
    2. Ring Mortgage people, Been looking at a couple of properties up North for months. It was something I was thinking about way back at the end of 2016 but couldn't do anything due to BIL over the summer in terms of investigating properties, I looked at them all summer. I am still on the mailing lists and liked two properties recently. This mortgage company take all comers so we shall see.
    3. Need to take Mum's car to the menders.
    4. Planning!

3 weeks 4 days till next holiday!
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 5th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 28,865 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Don't just look at the takes all comers mortgage company. You're probably a better prospect than you know. How's the dental work coming along?
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 54,128 Posts
    • 214,722 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh Buffster
    I dont tell you to go to the DR's all the time~~much

Sorry about your mum, the stress has probably caught up with her too

Not long til the next holidays
    How is car hunting going?

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 5th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 49,946 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Oh Buffster
    I dont tell you to go to the DR's all the time~~much

Sorry about your mum, the stress has probably caught up with her too

Not long til the next holidays
    How is car hunting going?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Mum is doing ok I think, ate some lunch has stayed in all day as I have the car. so that is good.

Mechanic has a Nissan Micra to look at so we shall see.

Rang gardener, half sorted car - not making the bloody noise now so didn't want to drive it there unnecessarily and look like a muppet.

Mortgage people.... I think you might have a point INOD. I have requested a call back for tomorrow. I really think it is time for a financial advisor.

Got planning to do. Didn't spend any money today. xx
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 6th Mar 18, 7:22 AM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    So where are you planning to go on holiday Buffy and how much are you planning to spend....
    Today is a new day 93/310 10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 6th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 6,852 Posts
    • 43,335 Thanks
    Pooky
    Have a look online at mortgage rates, eldest DD just did a mortgage in principle application online with her bank and got a much better figure than we thought.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 54,128 Posts
    • 214,722 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a look online at mortgage rates, eldest DD just did a mortgage in principle application online with her bank and got a much better figure than we thought.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    Thanks great Pooky

Good idea Buffy

***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 9,235 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I spoke with an IFA recently and he was very helpful and not at all pushy (though I did choose the company that work with one of the big unions). And not sniffy at my lack of savings.

I'd try an IFA or mortgage advisor, or actually more than one and then you can check them against each other
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 9,235 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oh and the company that sponsor the FTB guide on this site were also very good. I didn't go with them in the end as I felt happier knowing that my mortgage advisor was local and the deal was about the same, but I will definitely ask them about a remortgage.
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 10th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 49,946 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    sorry to have disappeared for a bit, Mum got a bit better but today has been worse. pain in her head which is concerning.

Gardener let us down which caused stress and upset. Also he is working for neighbour so we won't call him back and to be honest he has messed us about loads. Grrrr.

so a rotten rotten day. Headache and feel sick. Should go to bed but can't see me sleeping for a while.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 10th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Hugs. Horrible when family is ill and things don't go to plan
    Today is a new day 93/310 10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 54,128 Posts
    • 214,722 Thanks
    beanielou
    Bloody gardener is all.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,101Posts Today

6,615Users online

Martin's Twitter