Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 15,177Posts
    • 50,235Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
Page 15
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 8th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Gardener finally answered message, he got his days mixed up, his wife (who speaks 0 English) saw the messages but didn't understand them and once he saw them he turned up yesterday ! Garden looks way better. And he is coming on Monday to do the fence.

I am shattered and in loads of pain, back shoulders and heart burn. Last day tomorrow, not been good lately, loads of people unhappy and really quite grim in places.

I first thought I would stay another year at first but these days it is a day by day changing decision. In my room is mostly ok, but I do have to be a hard faced !!!!! in some lessons. should be planning one now.

I have spent loads on Amazon - shovel(clay), bird bath (symmetry in the garden!), tiger balm (migraine), drill bits (raised beds)

Mum has just said my Dad's cousin who has Alzheimers (however you spell it) has got worse. We should have stayed in touch but we didn't. Never any time you see. My cousin had twins today. I remember her when she was a baby. I cannot tell you how dreadfully sad I feel, wasted life. Never stayed in touch with my Dad's family, never made any bonds. connections. never had children, never bothered seriously with men or relationships. Always been work, family friends. which isn't so bad but I do feel hollowed out by it all some days. Dear God I am so tired. Didn't mean to write all that, Mum took me by surprise.

This is always a bad time of year. Just seems so much worse now.

Dentist on Saturday, Garden on Sunday, fence Monday, Dogs and vets Tuesday. After that, house, work and sleep. Interspersed with picking up sister.

I am going to send flowers to my Dad's cousin. And a gift to my cousin.
    Then I will make plans to see my friends.

I need to make more for me, I am so uncomfortable with being selfish writing that sentence makes me cringe. But I do. I can't afford this house, I am alone, much more so than I realised. I do need more "me stuff"

Silent Witness is well good.
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Do do make time for you.
    You are worth it xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Buffy, big hugs.

And a thought just in case useful - do you have any vision boards on Pinterest? I find it a dead easy way to have some me time just being drawn to things I like, even if it's just five minutes pootling through things, and somehow being wordless is more restful when I haven't the brain space for anything resembling an actual plan. Then sometimes when I go back to them, I find there's something there that's turned into an idea.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5,067 Posts
    • 29,428 Thanks
    in need of direction
    There's a difference between self preservation and selfish behaviour. You can't be strong for others if you are completely depleted. Take care
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,536 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Look after you for once Buffster xx

Don't worry about random relatives. I lost all of my dad's side of the family when he left my mum and started up another secret family. They all sided with him, sad really, lost four cousins, an auntie, uncle and grandad.

Glad the gardener hadn't disappeared.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy half term Buffster.
    Hope you can get some much needed me time xxx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 9th Feb 18, 10:36 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Holiday is here.

I survived.

Just. Was really unwell this morning.

Ok. so found a basic exercise programme. and bought a book.

catch up in a few days, the dog wants a cuddle! XXX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy xxx

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 10th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Busy day here, filling became root canal, so costly(437). I also bought some fish(22) went to poundland (16) and got petrol (30.62)

so now very poor. Need to figure out money, move it from savings

hey ho. One day I will have savings!!
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 10th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    So I spent 516 pounds today.

I moved 600 pounds from the savings. I now have 1100 left.

I know I am lucky to do this. But I really need to go back to tutoring and look for a better paid job.

I am lucky though. I need to remember that and pray I don't need more dental work!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Feb 18, 8:04 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that the root canel went well & eek to the cost.

***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 14,087 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Popping out of lurking, I wasn't quite sure what to say before.

Hope the treatment on the tooth stops all the pain now. Expensive but oh so worth it if it does what it's supposed too.

Don't be too hard on yourself about work and home and all things. You have a whole load going on.

Be kind to yourself

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,536 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Buffy I have Denplan and although I have to pay £23 a month, I don't pay for treatment and my dentist is private not NHS.

Glad you've broke up for half term but you need to sort something out work wise if you're not happy.

Take care xx
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 10th Feb 18, 10:53 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    My old dentist had denplan, but I need so much work done at the moment I could never get it. I will probably get it at some point (I don't think my new dentist does it tho. not sure)

I have a vision board Rosa, your post made me look at again - have done quite a few of them and aside from the travel and romance most are under way.

Tooth doesn't feel too bad. Checked my CC, forgot I bought make up.
    oops.

I am going for a wander round the boards and see what ways I can make money....

XX
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    • 5,067 Posts
    • 29,428 Thanks
    in need of direction
    please tell me the cost of the fish was 22 as opposed to 22 fish
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 11th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    please tell me the cost of the fish was 22 as opposed to 22 fish
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    LOL. Yes, they cost 22 pounds, it was basically a treat for dealing with the surprise root canal!
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 11th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    What is going on with the boards, seems like a LOT of spam about
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    What is going on with the boards, seems like a LOT of spam about
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    Seems to be the way of it these days sadly.

WEll, at least it wasent snails Buffster

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 15th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I have had the right hump since the start of the week. The amazingness of having the fence built and concreting the side of the garden (for bins) was massively over shadowed by my BIL getting quite sick. They thought he had some kind of infection. He does but he also has the flu. We are back to the refusing treatment and him being awful to people, the nurses doctors and my sister.

I just can't feel any more bad. or any worse if you see what I mean. I cannot get over how terribly terribly ill a person can be. I just want him to get better.

Mum is exhausted with worry and keeps saying she is ok.

I haven't seen my friends this break at all. not one. It has been a round of dentist and vets. Today is the first day I haven't had an appointment.

I wanted to start a new diary for Lent but everything is so tense here I don't have the energy. I think I will do practical things.

Got a massive credit card bill. Oh yeah part of me having the hump at everything involved me buying a mini tank for my room....and some houses for the guinea pigs...and posh food for the rabbits. a huge bag which will last them ages mind so I am going with it - it helps their teeth. Cheaper than a dental.

So instead of wallowing massively I shall find a jumper and my coat and venture out in the garden.

Buffy
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,536 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear BIL is unwell. His immune system will be rubbish and this will go on for years unfortunately. He must be so cheesed off with it all and unfortunately takes it out on those who care for him. If my mum had still been here when Mr SA was ill she would've been just like your mum, she'll be worried for your sister, bless her.

Good idea to do something practical to take your mind off things.

Take care Buffster xx
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin