Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 15,178Posts
    • 50,237Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
Page 13
    • urg123
    • By urg123 7th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 9,530 Thanks
    urg123
    Oh Buffy - it sounds like life is really taking its toll ...What happened at the vet?
    I know it might not help but remember how bad it was before you really got started? If all that stuff was around now, things would be much, much harder.
    In some of my really sh*t days, I tried to write three good things. Some days it was as much as - got up, cleaned teeth. Would that help at all today - even one good thing?
    Sending you lots of hugs xxx
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 29,459 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Have been catching up on some diaries. One good thing for you to list was that you have been able to make another MSEr feel better by your support!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,268.93, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 247.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,520 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I just wanted to pop on and echo what has been said about you supporting other MSE'ers. You've certainly helped to pull me through some tough times. I'm so sorry that life has dealt you such a c r a p p y hand at the moment and that you just never seem to catch a break. Thinking of you, and lots of love.
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 10,783 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Buffy, I often lurk but didn't want to read and run when you clearly have so much going on. Much sympathy from me, and hope the tooth pain is easing off.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,989 Thanks
    beanielou
    Keep plodding Buffster xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,360 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Just adding virtual hug

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 5,847 Posts
    • 38,634 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh Buffy Things can only get better. Big hugs xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jan 18, 10:03 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,989 Thanks
    beanielou
    How are things Buffy xxx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 10th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    You guys are honestly my safe place, I hope you know that. Thank you so much XXX

Work was a shocker. Was actually very proud of myself that I went in on Tuesday, I was so broken up, sat on the bed for 15 minutes having to convince myself to go to work.

I did it. Some of my lessons were very good actually, was surprised. The kids are always a good tonic. I don't teach that many shits these days so it ok.

Today I was exhausted. I stayed up to mark and it just ruined me. Can't do this job on three hours sleep.Came home and slept for a couple of hours.

Needed to do more marking tonight but cannot face it. Full teaching day tomorrow and will just have to work around the marking !!!! up.

Money wise things are ok, pretty good I think.Havent gone mental with spending (pet shop, M and S - sandwiches, not that great FYI) Once I get paid on the 26th I should be able to split my savings up and move money around current accounts to make the most of the interest malarky.

Vet wise, Piggie needs an op, cost should be about 150. but I have the money and the vets are good. Fingers Crossed.

I write all this and then watch the news. Syria.

My God this is hell on earth. Truly, we are lucky. Eight years of war.

we are a mess people. Poor children. Beyond comprehension.

XXXXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 29,459 Thanks
    in need of direction
    buffy, could you do a news black out? sometimes i have to as seeing that stuff really doesn't help my state of mind.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,268.93, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 247.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5,847 Posts
    • 38,634 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    There are so many atrocious things going on in the world Buffy we can't always do something about it, unfortunately At the end of the day you have to take care of you and yours. I always say if everyone bl@@dy behaved themselves the world would be a much better place - but they don't.

Take care Buffster and stop worrying about things you can't change xx
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 14th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Fairly raging toothache, not as bad as before. Thought it was going to be the last visit, but she was very good, wants to leave the crown fitting for a few months, in case the tooth doesn't last (think it is about 90% filling!) so it only cost 97 pounds today. Really good dentist. Must write a review.

January sucks. But doesn't it always?

One of my friends, an old work colleague, she died Christmas day.

Funeral is next week. Can't quite believe it. In fact I don't believe it. I have to ask permission to go.

After that I have a mini Ofsted at work.

Must check the bank and attempt to pack my bag for work.

It wasn't a great weekend but have got in touch with the gardener and arranged for that to start again, also to build a fence in the front garden - that will be in half term so I can be here in case of trouble with the neighbour.

Spoke to my best friend Friday, made me feel about a million times better than I have been. I am so thankful for my friends. Especially her, as she has known me so long that she reminds me I am not going crazy!

Got to keep doing. Soon January will be over.

xxxxxxx
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 5,847 Posts
    • 38,634 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear about your friend Buffy, what sad news

Pleased to hear your bestie made you feel better, that's what friends are for.

Half way through January now, soon be Spring.

Take care xx
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,520 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sorry about your friend Buffy
    I had to find my own cover for my cousin's funeral last week, but people were really generous.
    Love to you and I hope your toothache disappears soon.
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,989 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry about your friend.
    Hope you can get cover.

***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 15th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Thanks. Not really real. At all.

Today went, wake up late, shower, forget to rinse hair. raining, late for work. still with the tooth pain. taught some seriously crap lessons (could barely speak at some points.) hair looked dreadful. couldn't eat.

Did have a successful meeting tho, decent year 11 lesson.

Mum had a powercut and was very relieved when I came home early and sort of sorted. The outdoor electrics were the problem.

Now I feel significantly better, had soup and bread, apple tart (YUM) got petrol, picked up sister.

Really need to check my current account.

And eat some chocolate.

thanks again folks, love to you all XX
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 17th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Today was the funeral, her daughters did very well, her sister did well and I felt I had been right to go.

I didn't like it tho, I know you aren't supposed to. But it stirred up stuff that has been happily festering away ignored.

Need to mark about 30 books tonight really should have started. also recycling needs to go out. ok. time to get on.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jan 18, 8:15 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,989 Thanks
    beanielou
    These things do unfortunatly.
    Big hugs my friend xxx
    Now get marking!!

***Keep plodding***
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 18th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    You have had such a lot on your plate Buffy.
    Hugs
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt 72,520>>01/06/16 68166>01/02/17 66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=200,300 Jan17180,700>OCT17 170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 51
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 19th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I think I marked about 75 books at home this week.

my shoulders hurt continuously.

BIL has kidney infection, been in agony all day, needs an operation to change his stent. My poor sister has had to watch this.

Mum is handling quite well so far.

I am not. I am so !!!!ing tired. I have taught almost every how shall I put this....challenging child in the school and I am dead.

Just waiting for sister to come home.
    with news. I just don't know how she is coping with this. I just feel like I can't do anything to help and it is all SO rubbish.

I was looking forward to a bath and bed tonight. Friday is the only night off from marking. But might stay up for a bit with Mum as she will be awake worrying if we go to bed.

I did an epic tidy of my classroom which was good.

Dog is sitting in front of me wanting a walk. Catch you later

And Beanie if you are reading this, you are bloody marvellous and I love you.

Buffy XXX
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,021Users online

Martin's Twitter