Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gers
    • By Gers 24th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 6,412Posts
    • 40,542Thanks
    Gers
    Clearing an neglected garden
    • 24th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    Clearing an neglected garden 24th Jul 17 at 5:07 PM
    In front of my house, across the track and in a field, is an area of fenced off used-to-be-a-garden. I reckon about 10m by 15m.

In the past (pre-me) this garden was very well tended and had a great variety of fruit and vegetables in it. Amongst all the overgrown weeds and rubbish there are two redcurrant bushes and some lovely rambling rose plants.

Until the herd of cows broke in to the other week it was very difficult to walk around it, however they munched through a load of juicy thistles and dandelions and assorted other stuff.

Now I want to have it cleared, turned over, refenced and brought back into use. It's south facing so could make not only a productive space but a lovely place for an open air sitooterie. Could be great for gatherings, raised beds and even (perhaps) a poly tunnel. My ideas are overlapping and rushing around.

I need some advice about the order of early processes. I wouldn't think that having a digger brought in and the earth turned over should be the first task as it won't get rid of the overgrowth, just give it new life. Of course, I am nowhere near expert on this.

So... do I have it all the weeds and so on cleared out and removed before having it all dug over? Or will having it dug over first be best to have the weeds act as fertiliser? It's a question of order so please help with this first part.

Thanks
Page 5
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th May 18, 9:40 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Have you bought the mozzie net yet?:-)

That soil does look good. You never thought about a season growing spuds before moving on? I grow in raised beds but the basic clay soil here (next stop France) really benefited from it.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    They're in the back garden hiding in the long damp grass!

As for tattles, no, I don't eat many and everyone else remotely close by grows their own. And I refuse to be made into a gardener! Neither my fingers nor my brain are green and my motivation for it is seriously lacking.

Sitting watching the sun slip away whilst sipping something slightly alcoholic is what I'll be mostly doing in there.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th May 18, 2:07 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Membrane all done now.

I've been in and ordered the bark for next week - six big bags.

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 25,053 Posts
    • 92,600 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Slightly upset , as you're making more progress than I am just now!

I hope the 'big bags' really are BIG.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th May 18, 3:19 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Slightly upset , as you're making more progress than I am just now!

I hope the 'big bags' really are BIG.
    Originally posted by Davesnave

Yes - 1 cubic metre each. Those huge bags! Don't be sad, get cracking!

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Rolawn-Landscaping-Bark-Chippings-Bulk-Bag-1m%C2%B3/p/228832
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th May 18, 4:19 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    New fence stobs arrived!

Fencer is cutting down larch next week. All moving on well, so far.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th May 18, 9:00 PM
    • 25,053 Posts
    • 92,600 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Yes - 1 cubic metre each. Those huge bags! Don't be sad, get cracking!

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Rolawn-Landscaping-Bark-Chippings-Bulk-Bag-1m%C2%B3/p/228832
    Originally posted by Gers
    Ah, we call those 'dumpy bags.' We use the empty ones to move prunings, weeds etc to the bonfire area; just drag them around. It's easier and larger than a wheelbarrow.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Came home just now and found these:

First four of many. Lads have been busy this morning, they've cut down this tree and planked it. More progress.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 17th May 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 6,690 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Thanks for keeping us up to date Gers. I love watching your progress and am learning with you, thanks to the good advice you are getting. With the mention of Mozzies I just wanted to add a recommendation for Mosquito Milk. Not cheap, but works well here, after being a target for anything flying for years. A trip to get the washing in was usually a hazardous venture! Haven't tested it in your area yet but will be taking it with me next time I venture into Dumfries and Galloway! Nothing to do with the company but I'm so thrilled to find something that works!
    Sorry to go off topic...
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Thanks for your encouragement!

As for midges - I'm using a spray called Smidge. Seems effective so far.

Chappie has just turned up with more ripped planks, his radio and talking about which way the planks have to face. I don't know...

Seems the planks have to go on the outside of the stubs so that the cattle can't just lean on them and shove them in. As I said...I don't know and am happy either way.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers

It's happening!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 18, 6:32 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Things cooking on gas today!

First thing this morning - the chap on the left dug out all the old stobs and cleared out the corner of 'stuff'.

When I got back home this afternoon all the new stobs were in, some concreted, and the really difficult corner at the extreme right cleared of some honeysuckle.

Worked stopped for small child bath time! One will come back later to do some more.

It's all coming together eventually. Not quite there but well on the way. Bark is coming next week though I think it won't be spread until the week after. I can wait!
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 18th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 6,690 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Well done! Exciting times
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 20th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Fence is finished. Larch panels from local trees are much better than the old pallet slats.

Gate is still to be done once the better weather comes back.

Another large step done to bring this back into use. Bark is coming this week and will be spread on Sunday.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 20th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Fence is finished. Larch panels from local trees are much better than the old pallet slats. G
    Originally posted by Gers

True, but I'm rather fond of pallets which form the basis of my wood stores and my kindling supplies..

Looking good though!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 21st May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    True, but I'm rather fond of pallets which form the basis of my wood stores and my kindling supplies..

Looking good though!
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Pallets have their place, as you can see the old fence was pallets but you can also see how much they had detoriated in about 30 years. They served well, now the larch has a chance to serve equally well.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 23rd May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    Gers
    Next stage done - the delivery of six 'dumpy' bags of bark today.

Driver reckons I'll need two more, that's better than not needing it all. It'll be spread on Sunday if the weather holds.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,499Posts Today

8,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin