Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thoragunnr
    • By thoragunnr 23rd Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 51Thanks
    thoragunnr
    am I allowed 2 current accounts in different banks
    • 23rd Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    am I allowed 2 current accounts in different banks 23rd Jul 17 at 5:13 PM
    I want to keep my natwest current account for bills only as I don't want to go through the hassle of switching everything over and becuase all my bills are on this account.

I wanted another current account to transfer spending money to another current account to use as personal spending money to help me track where my actual spending is going/to know i only have that amount to spend on myself in that month as well as to open savings account as the one i'm looking at offers more interest on the savings account compared to Natwest.
    •• #238 £1000 ef; £14.00/£1,000 •• H2B; £120.00 •• BLS:£10.88/£15,000 ••
    •• Retirement: £4.86 •• New Home FundJar: £5.83p •• VOSS Jar £0.00 ••
Page 1
    • datlex
    • By datlex 23rd Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    datlex
    • 23rd Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 23rd Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    You are allowed as many accounts with as many banks as will accept you and that you can meet the requirements of. Many folk on here have multiple accounts across a number of banks to benefit from rewards.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 23rd Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 9,214 Posts
    • 8,045 Thanks
    colsten
    • 23rd Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 23rd Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    It's a wise move to have at least 2 current accounts at two totally unrelated institutions, in case there's a problem with one of them.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 25th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Don80
    • 25th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 25th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    I want to keep my natwest current account for bills only as I don't want to go through the hassle of switching everything over and becuase all my bills are on this account.
    Originally posted by thoragunnr
    Yes you can have more than one account, and they don't have to be at the same bank. For example, some accounts reward you for paying bills by direct debit (Natwest has one, Santander and Halifax). You can switch your Natwest account easily - just open the new account and you ask to switch your account. It takes 7 days, everything is done for you - there is no hassle. Also, for 3 years any payments that should have come out of your old account are automatically paid from your new account.

I wanted another current account to transfer spending money to another current account to use as personal spending money to help me track where my actual spending is going/to know i only have that amount to spend on myself in that month as well as to open savings account as the one i'm looking at offers more interest on the savings account compared to Natwest.
    This is exactly what I do.

I use the Bank of Scotland for this, they pay 2% interest and you get some cashback for using your debit card using your every day offers. I earned almost £4 last month. You need 2 direct debits set up, so I have 2 small ones, which comes to £15 a month.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 25th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 7,146 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 25th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 25th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    Allowed............ it's a basic requirement of you want to hang around on this board.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 26th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Marvo5
    • 26th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    • 26th Jul 17, 6:13 AM

This can't be said often enough.... THERE IS NO HASSLE!
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 15th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    anyone done a combo of M&S and San 123 acc,ive not thought this through fully but gut idea im thinking it might be easiest to switch my San 123 acc to M&S and then once done go and open a 123 acc again(for the interest benefits) any tips?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Sep 18, 10:22 AM
    • 26,480 Posts
    • 15,723 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:22 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:22 AM
    Open another account with Santander.

Move or create 2 DDs (for M&S they must be active but need not pay monthly).

Switch that account to M&S.

https://bank.marksandspencer.com/current-accounts/mands-current-account/
    • Vet
    • By Vet 15th Sep 18, 10:21 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Vet
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:21 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:21 PM
    yes absolutely. you can have as many as you need
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 16th Sep 18, 12:11 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    I currently have 8 with 4 different banks. And possibly looking at a couple of others.
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 16th Sep 18, 9:17 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    im not married! are you sure i can open a second San 123 account in my position? thanks in advance
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 16th Sep 18, 9:19 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    see t&C's
    To be eligible to open this account you must be 18 years old or over and live in the UK for tax purposes. You may only hold a maximum of
    two 1I2I3 Current Accounts, one in your name and one in joint names. Any additional requests for a 1I2I3 Current Account may result in a
    joint account holder becoming aware of your existing 1I2I3 Current Account(s). If you open or hold any additional 1I2I3 Current Account(s),
    we may change them to another current account. We’ll give you at least two months’ personal notice if we decide to change the account.
    If you aren’t happy with the change, you’re free to close the account or there may be other current accounts available to you
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 16th Sep 18, 9:56 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    Would you even ask yourself the question if it was "can I shop at Tesco when I already shop at Sainburys?"
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 16th Sep 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    ceredigion
    im not married! are you sure i can open a second San 123 account in my position? thanks in advance
    Originally posted by thecolonel62
    see t&C's
    To be eligible to open this account you must be 18 years old or over and live in the UK for tax purposes. You may only hold a maximum of
    two 1I2I3 Current Accounts, one in your name and one in joint names. Any additional requests for a 1I2I3 Current Account may result in a
    joint account holder becoming aware of your existing 1I2I3 Current Account(s). If you open or hold any additional 1I2I3 Current Account(s),
    we may change them to another current account. We’ll give you at least two months’ personal notice if we decide to change the account.
    If you aren’t happy with the change, you’re free to close the account or there may be other current accounts available to you
    Couple of options.
    Be adventurous and see what happens.
    or
    Open an everyday account instead, which will maintain your relationship with Santander.
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 16th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    hardly the same, i know i can have two or more accounts, its how to best go about it thats being discussed, but thanks for your input
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 16th Sep 18, 11:05 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    Couple of options.
    Be adventurous and see what happens.
    or
    Open an everyday account instead, which will maintain your relationship with Santander.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    thanks that might well be the workaround
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 16th Sep 18, 11:16 AM
    • 30,218 Posts
    • 18,110 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    hardly the same, i know i can have two or more accounts, its how to best go about it thats being discussed, but thanks for your input
    I think some people are answering the question in the thread title, not yours, which was asked well over a year ago!

You might have been better starting a new thread for your question (to avoid any confusion), rather than resurrecting a 15 month old one.
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 16th Sep 18, 5:03 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    I think some people are answering the question in the thread title, not yours, which was asked well over a year ago!

You might have been better starting a new thread for your question (to avoid any confusion), rather than resurrecting a 15 month old one.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Okey dokey, fair enough, thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,254Posts Today

8,374Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin