Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,519Posts
    • 11,742Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 64
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 12th Dec 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 11,742 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

7 days to go . Today has been busy but on the whole a nice day. The children are a weird mix of exhausted and excited and there's more than a smattering of winter bugs so there's never a dull moment!
    I've spent the evening with my dad who is much better after a volatile period so I'm very grateful for that.

Today's small steps included;

Drank enough water

Went for a short run

A good sleep

Cheap,healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch and a game roast dinner using lo veg,Yorkshire and potatoes from Sunday with some ys pork steaks)

Lunches ready for tomorrow

Marking back log cleared

Night night

PP xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

23,095.71/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Dec 18, 10:16 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 11,742 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

Today was a nsd but tomorrow won't be as I need to do the grocery shop and it's Christmas party time which is all prepaid but I'm sure there'll be some additional spends. I haven't had a boozy night out in ages so I'm really looking forward to it. I got an evening dress off eBay in the summer for 1.75 plus postage it's bnwt and is lovely. I've got shoes I've had for years that tend to only come out at Christmas and have a per una shrug that I got from a Cs a couple of years ago so I'm really pushing the boat out!

Other small steps to success and wellbeing included;

Got my work expenses so paid them straight off my CB CC

A good sleep

Drank enough water

Spin class done

Laundry up to date but a lot is still drying

Cleaned the kitchen

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch and risotto and salad for dinner)

Lunches ready for tomorrow

Recycling sorted out

Went to see mum

Finished decorating the Christmas cakes

Done next week's meal plan and shopping list

Only 6 days until the end of term

Happy Thursday to you

PP xx

23,095.71/15,000
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 14th Dec 18, 7:36 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,835 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    You're on fire, girl!!

Current balance 219,990.00. Offset 0. 219,990.00 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 12/28 but aiming for 12/23 - 2019 Overpay & Offset 0
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 14th Dec 18, 8:48 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    selloptape
    Have a lovely night out!
    GC Jan 106.96/278.61
    Save 12k in 2019 #8 180/1,5000
    MFiT T5 #?? Save 20k over 3 years
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 14th Dec 18, 11:55 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Evening dress for 1.75?!? Wow! Hope you have a great night out.

We had ours on Wednesday and although it was a civilised pace of drinking over dinner, and all decent quality, I was useless yesterday. Utterly useless. I don't have the stamina or the stomach any more!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Dec 18, 6:23 PM
    • 5,871 Posts
    • 41,048 Thanks
    CathT
    Hope you have a great night out and a relaxing weekend too.
    Jan 2019 - part 1 - 73,109 part 2 - 44,433
    Total - 117,542 109 months to go!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 17th Dec 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 11,742 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Thank you ladies

I've neglected my diary a bit but I have had a lovely weekend

My staff party was good with no spends as it was all paid in advance including wine so not a cheap night but at the least it was spread over three payments in November.

The weekend has been really relaxing although Saturday was a right off (see above ). Sunday was lovely though - got out for a run and the spent the day pottering, reading, watching tv and having a bubble bath so plenty of self care

Had another three nsds although today was a spend day as I needed fuel and I also got a dress for a wedding in the spring off eBay so 34 and 5.45 respectively.

Other small steps to success and wellbeing included;

Lots of good sleep

Drank enough water (except for Friday when I drank plenty of wine instead )

Stuck to the meal plan over the weekend and today . Took breakfast, lunch and coffee to work

Laundry up to date.

Wrote a day by day to do list for last week and this and have stuck to it.

Made 82 on eBay over the last two weeks which has gone to my os account. The last four parcels are ready for posting tomorrow.

Wrote a meal plan for Christmas week based on what I've got in and taking into account the days we have been invited to things. Most of Christmas lunch is prepped and in my mum's freezer along with a ys turkey crown. Guests are bringing a starter and a cheese board, I've got lots of hm chutney so I've only really got to get dessert ingredients and some nice breakfast treats . I've done the shopping list which is looking reasonable providing I stick to it. I'm determined not to go nuts and end up with way more than is needed as I've done in previous years.

Only four more teaching days until the holidays

Happy Monday to you

PP xx

23,095.71/15,000
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 18th Dec 18, 6:33 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,835 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    The Christmas meal plan and resultant shopping list is on my to do list for today. The time is whizzing by and I really am far less organised than usual!

Current balance 219,990.00. Offset 0. 219,990.00 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 12/28 but aiming for 12/23 - 2019 Overpay & Offset 0
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Dec 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 15,309 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...except for Friday when I drank plenty of wine instead )...
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    I LOVE how the wine appears on the successes list!

I"m counting down the days to a glorious two weeks away from the office!!!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 22nd Dec 18, 6:55 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Hey pinky
    Yay on end of term!
    on wine over water!
    Hope you have a relaxing and fun Xmas!!
    MF planning for the simple life
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 25th Dec 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 15,309 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Merry Christmas PP - hope you are having a wonderful day with the family!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 2nd Jan 19, 2:34 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    woodfired
    Happy new year PP. Hope had a great Christmas and that you are now off having lots of relaxing time before you go back to school.xx
    Nov 17: Mortgage Balance 135 900 Business Loan 83 000 Savings 10 500
    Nov 18: Mortgage balance 125 770 Business Loan 76 127 Savings 9 800
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 13th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 6,289 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hey Pinky Hope your ok missing your posts x
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,835Posts Today

9,702Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Did I really just hear in the Commons "his politics is the politics of Vicki Pollard yeah, but, no, but yeah!" Or h? https://t.co/ak6iBlvVX4

• Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Follow Martin