Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,470Posts
    • 11,357Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 61
    • CathT
    • By CathT 9th Nov 18, 6:49 AM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 40,532 Thanks
    CathT
    It's a great thread isn't it. I'm so glad apple signposted me. It's definitely the little things that make a difference and I'm also a true believer in self care and compassion and it's quite a nurturing thread.

That was a mammoth food shop for you.

Any weekend plans?
    Nov 2018 -
    part 1 - 74,947
    part 2 - 44,678
    Total - 119,625
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Nov 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 8,884 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I had a look at the nst thread too, think I may pop over and join you all.

Thank you.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Nov 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,357 Thanks
    pinkypig
    It's a great thread isn't it. I'm so glad apple signposted me. It's definitely the little things that make a difference and I'm also a true believer in self care and compassion and it's quite a nurturing thread.

That was a mammoth food shop for you.

Any weekend plans?
    Originally posted by CathT
    I had a look at the nst thread too, think I may pop over and join you all.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    It is indeed fab. So useful and so positive

Hope you're both well
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

21,220.89/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,357 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

I missed my post yesterday but it was Friday night and so chose to enjoy a nice dinner with the kids and a girly night in with DD watching a chickflick. It was so nice. Waking at 2.15 am and staying that way until gone 4am was less nice so I'm feeling a bit frazzled. I've also had extensive parent duties today and tonight so very little has been achieved I'm afraid.

Yesterday's small steps to success and wellbeing included;

A nsd

A walk and a chat at lunchtime

Dealt with a load of work frogs without getting my knickers in a twist

Drank enough water

Had lovely family time

Lit the wood burner as soon as I got in so the living room was lovely and cosy for our film night

Laundry load done and left in front of the wood burner overnight to dry

Cheap healthy (ish) eats (porridge for breakfast,lo and salad for lunch and hm steak and mushroom pie, mashed potatoes and veggies for dinner)

Today's were very small and there were not many of them

A nsd

A nice, grown up chat with dd

Made the kids pancakes for breakfast

Had the day with dad and had a phone chat with mum

Was a taxi service inbetween parental duties

Lo for lunch and freezer dive for me and ds for dinner as dd was out.

As dad was settled I got a huge amount of marking done included a class set of extended writing which takes hours Quite boring but a great job to get done.

While dad was watching a film tonight I read through all my pension advisor stuff and did some research. I feel my understanding is clearer and I know what I think I should do. I'm going to get a second opinion and will then get on with it. I'd like to have things done or at least in motion by the end of the year.

I'm off to my lovely warm bed with a book and a cup of tea. Perfect Saturday night for the aging bore I'm becoming

Happy Saturday to you

PP xx

21,220.89/15,000
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Nov 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 14,798 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...I'm off to my lovely warm bed with a book and a cup of tea. Perfect Saturday night for the aging bore I'm becoming...
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    PP, bed is the perfect place to be no matter your age - lol

2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Nov 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,357 Thanks
    pinkypig
    PP, bed is the perfect place to be no matter your age - lol

Originally posted by rtandon27
    It is lovely isn't it?: Xx

21,220.89/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Nov 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,357 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

Today has been so wet and windy I've not ventured far and have had a lovely day pottering. I've got a horrendously busy see this week so I've focussed on my turtle task - get organised

As I'm going to be low on exercise opportunities this week I went for run despite the weather. I got soaked but in a weird way I like running in the rain. I then spent the rest of the day reading in amongst domestics.

So today's small steps to success and wellbeing included;

A good sleep

Coffee and an hour reading in bed

A run and 20 minutes weights

Drank enough water

Made a batch of Bolognese sauce, one for tomorrow and two for the freezer, two lots of chicken curry and some leek and potato soup. I had naan dough in the freezer so this was just to roll out and bake.

Lunches for the next few days ready

Hoovered

Beds changed

Cleaned out and organised fridge to use up or freeze so they'll be no waste this week.

Wood burner lit early so no heating needed and laundry will be dry by morning

A nsd

I'm off for an early night (again)!

Happy Sunday to you

PP xx

21,220.89/15,000
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Nov 18, 7:17 AM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 8,884 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Is it parents evenings by any chance? Always a killer
    Hope it goes better than expected.

Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,211Posts Today

8,738Users online

Martin's Twitter