Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,382Posts
    • 10,872Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 56
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Sep 18, 8:25 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Morning

Week 2 done and managing to keep my head above water at work and domestically. Hope I can keep it up! My schedule with Dad is quite heavy as he's settled well but doesn't really like it The staff are nice but so busy and as he's very quiet and generally well behaved he often has long spells with no company so we have a rota so he has a decent visit morning, afternoon and evening. My sister is back from hols soon so it will be much easier next week

In money news I've had a few spends but all were necessary. I did the food shop for 20.65 as we are still pretty much eating the batch cooking from last month . I also paid my Christmas dinner deposit and milk money at work and a sponsorship for a colleague. 7 from grocery and 15 from personal. I also got everything for DD's family get together for her big birthday . 95.85 which was ingredients for different curries, dessert ingredients and the stuff to make her cake plus two boxes of wine, some lager, cider and bitter and soft drinks for 30. Thank you Aldi
    I've done a curry in the sc overnight every night this week and put it in the freezer. Her cake plus two for work are in the oven ready for icing tomorrow. I've got dad today so tonight is desserts which leaves naan bread, rice and a good clean of the house for tomorrow. Its family from her dad's side coming too so I'm a bit nervous Hope everything looks and tastes ok when I've finished. Lots of moral support from my side though so it'll be ok
    I'm going to have a coffee and read while I'm waiting for my cakes to bake then it's a quick shower and off to Dad's.

Happy Saturday to you

PP xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

14,689.68/15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Sep 18, 10:08 AM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,483 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thats a very heavy schedule, PP, and very kind. And I hope the big do tomorrow goes really well.
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Sep 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Thats a very heavy schedule, PP, and very kind. And I hope the big do tomorrow goes really well.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks Karma. I'm on schedule so far but feeling a little frazzled Hope you're well xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Sep 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

Today has felt like a bit of a whirl but I've achieved more than I'd hoped and feel less daunted about my list of to dos than I did yesterday
    As I woke early I got my cakes in and done before I went to see dad which was great as it got me a bit ahead of schedule. As dad was bit weary I actually read for a long while whilst he snoozed and watched TV which gave me a nice rest as well as keeping him company

Once home I focussed on food prep annd;

Chargrilled 3kg of chicken ready for curry assembly ( this way I could freeze the sauces ahead without meat or dairy added so I can freeze any leftovers)

Iced and filled the work cakes (one chocolate - filled with the last of the jam made with ys plums and one lemon filled with freezer lemon curd made with ys lemons)

Filled dd's birthday cake with jam and butter cream and covered it in fondant icing.

Made two pavlovas (one will be Irish cream and the other summer fruits), sherry trifle (still my fave) and white chocolate cheesecake

Defrosted Rogan josh , korma , tikka masala and Thai yellow sauces

Put chickpea and peach curry in the sc overnight

Mse triumps inluded;

Used some leftover border from school to go round the cake

Found metallic candles from her 18th and will resuse rather than buying special ones

Picked the raspberries out of a bag of frozen fruit for the trifle base and used some of the rest to fold through cream for a pavlova topping. I've got some free blackberries to decorate it with. Cost about a 1 so much more thrifty than fresh.

Froze the egg yolks from the pavlova (couldn't face making custard) individually with a bit of sugar to use as egg wash.

Made butter cream with 1/2 butter and half beautifully butterly - it tastes no different

Had a nsd

So far my celebration on a shoestring is shaping up ok. Just got hm naans , rice and Bombay potatoes to do tomorrow and some chocolate brownies if I have time.

Off to bed now as I'm pooped

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Sep 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 14,487 Thanks
    rtandon27
    PP - you are such a lovely mama to go through all the effort to do a wonderful meal for DD!

As always your productivity is inspiring!!!
    1 YEAR & 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th Sep 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    pinkypig
    PP - you are such a lovely mama to go through all the effort to do a wonderful meal for DD!

As always your productivity is inspiring!!!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Hi RT and thank you. I didn't want her special day to go unmarked and luckily she's her mother's daughter - wanted it at home and not some upmarket eatery
    On top of things now but I'm definitely having a lazy weekend next week!!
    Hope you're well xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th Sep 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Morning

Lashing it down here I need some exercise but I'm not running in that!
    I was awake at 7 so I got large quantities of naan bread dough in the mixer (love my dough hook) and I'll bake them later. Everything else is assemble and warm up and then just whipped cream on the desserts. Phew

My challenge today will be to avoid last minute ' I might need this' syndrome. I don't need anything so will try and resist and go for a nsd instead.

Just need to clean the house now

Happy Sunday to you

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Sep 18, 10:25 AM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,483 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Have a great day! And if you're cleaning today, you *only* clean the bits that are on show - please!
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 18th Sep 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Have a great day! And if you're cleaning today, you *only* clean the bits that are on show - please!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    It's a rare day when I do anything else Karma

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 18th Sep 18, 9:57 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

Is it only Tuesday? My weekend was so busy it feels like a long time since I had a lazy day. I'm going to make up for it this weekend

Moneywise it's been a pretty good week. I had a ns weekend as I avoided contingency buying which was the right thing to do as there was plenty of food and I ended up with more drink than I started with. My only spends this week have been filling the car with fuel.
    I had a bit of a windfall as Highways England have finally coughed up for the damage to my car which was almost certainly caused by pot holes. 256

In terms of well being I need to get a grip, too many late nights, not drinking enough water, too much food and only one run since last Wednesday Must try harder and now we have a clear routine with Dad I can get into a routine.

Today's small steps to freedom and success included;

Laundry done and on the airer

Cheap, healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo Thai curry for lunch and !o Rogan josh for dinner)

A nsd

Swallowed a frog - phone call

Arranged for boiler to be fixed (insured phew!!)

Had new water meter fitted. It looks like the spike in usage was a misread due to condensation on the old meter (phew again !)

Classroom tidy and resources ready for tomorrow. Marking up to date. I seriously must keep this up as it takes so much pressure off.

Kids on great form

I'm off to bed - time to refocus on my health and wellbeing

Happy Tuesday to you

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,621Posts Today

8,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin