Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,382Posts
    • 10,867Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 43
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Pleased today has gone well on all accounts.
    You are a superwoman PP here's hoping the nice weather continues, everything always seems a bit brighter.

Wish.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    PP - you are so inspiring & organized - love catching up with your successes!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Thanks you two lovely things but I feel anything but organised tonight I'm literally chasing my tail
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

14,689.68/15,000
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 8,318 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Thanks you two lovely things but I feel anything but organised tonight I'm literally chasing my tail
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    In my experience Tuesday's are often like that. One mad rush without the enthusiasm of a Monday or The adrenaline of a friday. Tuesdays
    Are the worst days.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    A very quick one from me tonight as I'm in need of my bed!

Work has been good although we had a moderator turn up which is always a bit . We are half way there now tbough

Ds had a good day and in an attempt to get some balance he agreed to two hours revision after school if he could indulge in some sport. It meant for a busy (read frantic) turnaround this evening but we managed and he enjoyed it.

Today's successes included;

Laundry line dried, folded and away

Walk with my work pal at lunchtime

Drank enough water

Spin class done

Lo for lunch and hm gammon quiche, wedges and coleslaw for dinner

Lunches ready for tomorrow

Watched ds doing rather well in his current favourite sport

A nsd

Happy Tuesday

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hello

Today has been a less hectic day. A few niggles at work but nothing to get excited about and things are reasonably calm at home although ds looks tired and worried. I hate seeing him under such pressure, he seems so young

Today's successes have been a little limited but did include;

Drank enough water

Lo for lunch and gammon (lo) and mushroom risotto and salad for dinner

Whites wash done and on the line and a darks wash is in

Got my free Shopmium granola and milkybar

Small grocery spend of 3.48 on 8 pints of milk and a pile of 10p ys bread, breakfast stuff, ciabatta rolls and panini. Should do a good few weeks breakfasts, lunches and picnics

Lunches ready for tomorrow

Did a 77p tt

Off to watch an episode of Innocent before bed.

Happy Hump day

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • canaryfeather
    • By canaryfeather 16th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    canaryfeather
    Caught up on your diary today PP and your achievements to date are so impressive!

Will (hopefully) be embarking on my own MFW journey soon and it is so inspiring to read everyone's stories. Best of luck with everything.

8 pints is a lot of milk. Will you drink it all or freeze some?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You sound really calm about everything that's going on, PP - I'm glad it seems to be working. Shame about DS - but you just *know* he thinks of himself as nearly adult, I bet (I remember very clearly thinking I was almost grown up when I was ten, because I was in double figures )
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 17th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Caught up on your diary today PP and your achievements to date are so impressive!

Will (hopefully) be embarking on my own MFW journey soon and it is so inspiring to read everyone's stories. Best of luck with everything.

8 pints is a lot of milk. Will you drink it all or freeze some?
    Originally posted by canaryfeather
    Hello thank you so much for dropping in!
    Welcome to mfw . It's a lovely supportive place to start your journey.

My ds goes through milk like you wouldn't believe

Good luck with your future plans

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 17th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    You sound really calm about everything that's going on, PP - I'm glad it seems to be working. Shame about DS - but you just *know* he thinks of himself as nearly adult, I bet (I remember very clearly thinking I was almost grown up when I was ten, because I was in double figures )
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hiya Karma He seems better today so I hope it continues but 4 weeks of exams feels like a lot bless him xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 17th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

Sats are done which is a relief for the kids and the adults

Today has been a good day. The weather is lovely and work is going well. I've got a fairly hefty list of things to complete before the end of term but it I keep at it I should get there.

DS seems better for some extra sleep and looks less stressed too so that's good. DD is on really good form and has hoovered the house and mopped the floors tonight which was lovely to come home to
    She's off for a weekend away with friends and ds is with his dad so I'm aiming for a weekend of indulging me

Today's mfw and well being successes included;

A spend of 1.51 on M's wonky veg and a massive on offer pineapple and a 7p bag of onions which had one mushy one but the rest were perfect. The didn't have wonky avocados or grapes though which was a shame.

Getting my free chicken sausages from Shopmium

drinking enough water

Doing a spin class and showering at the gym

A walk with my work buddy at lunchtime

Meal plan and shopping list ready for a small food shop tomorrow

Laundry line dried, folded and put away

Ironing done

Lo for lunch and cheats healthy carbonara (using the last of the lo gammon) for dinner

Tomorrow's lunches ready

Off to watch another episode of Innocent before bed.

Happy nearly Friday

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 17th May 18, 11:39 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 8,318 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Woo hoo to the end of the sata, I'm assuming a calmer day tomorrow and the. A huge focus on those dreaded writing assessment s for the next few weeks??

I hop you have a lovely, indulgent, feudal weekend.

Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 41,307 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh PP, what a lovely list! I've quite got out of the habit of making them, forgetting what little things I'm doing all the time out of habit and feeling like I'm not doing *anything* because I'm not doing the big things... I shall go and make a list too, thank you
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 19th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Woo hoo to the end of the sata, I'm assuming a calmer day tomorrow and the. A huge focus on those dreaded writing assessment s for the next few weeks??

I hop you have a lovely, indulgent, feudal weekend.

Wish.
    Thanks Wish. You're right about the writing assessments but I'm not thinking about those until next week

Ooh PP, what a lovely list! I've quite got out of the habit of making them, forgetting what little things I'm doing all the time out of habit and feeling like I'm not doing *anything* because I'm not doing the big things... I shall go and make a list too, thank you
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Love a list Cheery - makes you feel like you're getting somewhere even if you don't tick anything off

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 19th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Indulgent weekend off to a flying start

Friday night was a batch cooked dinner, wine and a bit of snoozing
    followed by my treat of the week - Saturday morning coffee in bed

The weather continues to be gorgeous and we've had a perfect hill walking day with lots of stops to lie in the sun and take in the views. Lunch was hm pies using dinner lo as a filling, ys bread sandwiches and hm cake. For the cost of a bit of fuel we've had an absolutely wonderful day

Batch cooked veggie lasagne is heating up so an evening of relaxation and a box set beckons once I've had a long bubble bath.
    Feeling very content with my lot

Happy sunny Saturday to you

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 19th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 8,318 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like a perfect Saturday.

I can not believe how lovely the weather has been for such a good run of days and weekends.
    I'm assuming that this lovely May weather means that the summer holidays are going to be a wash out.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    OMG, home made pies? That's fantastic. And another perfect day.
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 20th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds like a perfect Saturday.

I can not believe how lovely the weather has been for such a good run of days and weekends.
    I'm assuming that this lovely May weather means that the summer holidays are going to be a wash out.
    It's gorgeous isn't it? Makes you feel so much more energetic xx

OMG, home made pies? That's fantastic. And another perfect day.
    Love pies . Left over quiche pastry with lo Moroccan veggie tagine as a filling - a bit experimental but they were yummy
    Hope you're enjoying the sun Karma xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 20th May 18, 8:21 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I've just woken up and I'm not sure if it should be , or !!!
    Coffee in bed because it's Sunday and then off for a run in the woods followed by breakfast, a bit of pottering and a bike ride this afternoon

More sunshine . Might have to dig out my running shorts!

Have a lovely Sunday

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 20th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Can't believe the weekend is over It's been great though, brilliant weather, loads of activity and fresh air and lovely company. Feeling nicely tired, very content and very fortunate

This morning's trail run was great, perfect conditions and feeling the benefits of getting back to a good level fitness. I really enjoyed it
    After breakfast, a long bubble bath and a bit of reading I swallowed a frog and then did a longish bike ride through some lovely countryside.
    In terms of chores I've done nowt other than a bit of laundry but I feel really refreshed so it's been worth the sciving!

Mfw and well being successes also included;

A ns weekend

Sticking to my one bottle of wine quota

Sleeping better than I have done in weeks

Drinking enough water

Laundry up to date

Hm leek and potato soup and ys bread for lunch and ys fish and roasted wonky peppers for dinner

Dragging my weary legs off to bed

Happy Sunday to you

PP xx

14,689.68/15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th May 18, 10:21 PM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    And a Very Happy Sunday to you too

You must be amazingly fit! And I think it's well worth the effort of bunching jobs and errands together, if it means you can have weekends like this

Sleep well.
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 21st May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    pinkypig
    And a Very Happy Sunday to you too

You must be amazingly fit! And I think it's well worth the effort of bunching jobs and errands together, if it means you can have weekends like this

Sleep well.
    Thank you Karma, you're right about getting things done so you can have spells of guilt free indulgence
    I'm fitter than I ever thought I would of could be - I worked out quite late in life it's the key to happiness and well being for me

I hope you've had a lovely weekend too xx

14,689.68/15,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

587Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin