Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,326Posts
    • 10,590Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 29,593 Posts
    • 170,317 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Happy Last Staycation Day!

Thanks for *both* those linkies, no wonder you've been reading that blog, looks v interesting. The sloe jelly recipe has pretty good proportions too, more fruit than sugar, thats got to be good. There are humongous numbers of apple trees on council ground in walking distance from my house, and people are encouraged to pick them, so I can do very well with that jam
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 12th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Happy Last Staycation Day!

Thanks for *both* those linkies, no wonder you've been reading that blog, looks v interesting. The sloe jelly recipe has pretty good proportions too, more fruit than sugar, thats got to be good. There are humongous numbers of apple trees on council ground in walking distance from my house, and people are encouraged to pick them, so I can do very well with that jam
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks Karma

Free apples sound fab - I love a good forage
    MFW 2018 #157 Target £15,000

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 12th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

I've had a money day . Granted, it's been mainly thinking about it but it's felt positive and productive. Having got engrossed in a rather good blog I realised that there is a whopping part of my plan missing - I don't know how much income I'm going to have in retirement. Pretty fundamental so I thought I'd best make it a bit more formal than having a guess

I've got four pension pots (my TP, two from previous employers, one final salary, one money purchase and a paid up personal pension). In addition , I took out an Teacher's AVC last year to top up my pension provision and to keep my tax bill down. I spent a couple of hours online getting some projections at age 55 - 60 and made some conservative assumptions on the index linked ones. These currently in a note book so I need to get them into spreadsheets tomorrow.

The other main part of my pension planning are two rental properties that I have. One is tiny and one is family size and they've always rented out well but of course there's no guarantee that will always be the case. They are in a pretty good state of repair although one would benefit hugely from an improvement that will cost about £10k so I may do that in the future of I decided to sell it.

All the decisions I've made regarding my avc I've done on my own so I think I need professional advice. It needs to be someone who understands the changes to the TP as I've no idea if I'd be better off reducing my hours at 53 ish and working a bit longer or sticking it out for longer and then finishing completely. It boggles my head The TP suggested getting in touch with unbiased.com which I've done and an IFA has left me a message so I'm going to call him to setup an appointment tomorrow. I feel better for this as it's a minefield and I want all my options spelling out so I can make an informed decision.

The good news is I should be able to retire comfortably at 55 if I live simply and if I get this mortgage paid off! That gives me 6.5 years This has both scared me and galvanised me so today I have:

Almost set up my IFA appointment

Closed a regular saver I kept open with the minimum in to get my bonus so £705.58 has been sent to the os pot

Delighted in my eBay purchases but have decided I have everything I need (far more really ) so no more wants spending.

Eaten lo so the food shop could be pushed back another day

Turned the heating down and reduced the time that it's on.

Got a pile of ys bargains for £1.67 which will do ds for snacks plus a few decent lunches for the three of us

Checked the forecast so I can change the beds and get the linen line dried.

Did a spin class which helps my overloaded brain and gets the most out of my monthly classes package.

In less good news I'm way over budget on personal spends and a bit over on grocery due to a wine, hb and £land stock up so it's going to be belt tightening all round for the rest of April . Looking on the bright side our staycation cost me £20 in bike bits to enable repairs (my bike is now spring and summer ready) and a day's parking

I'm off to ponder a sensible to do list for tomorrow

Happy Thursday to you - nearly the weekend

PPxx

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 12th Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Will be interesting to see what the IFA says. As you're finding out, it's empowering to have proper knowledge of future income. Knowledge = Choices .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 41,068 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, exciting to find out what you're entitled to PP! I confess I have no idea either, and not much idea how to find out Mind you I'm definitely more than 6.5 years off retirement, having just taken out a 25 year mortgage

I've got two separate pensions at the minute, one from old job in a currently rather controversial scheme - not paying in any more and have no idea how much is in there other one is current - they do send me a statement but I've never sat and looked for long enough to understand it... Might follow your lead one day and investigate (not today though )

Keep talking about cycling, you might inspire me to another bike ride at the weekend
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Apr 18, 7:18 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Will be interesting to see what the IFA says. As you're finding out, it's empowering to have proper knowledge of future income. Knowledge = Choices .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    You're right there Gally - imagine working longer than was strictly necessary

Ooh, exciting to find out what you're entitled to PP! I confess I have no idea either, and not much idea how to find out Mind you I'm definitely more than 6.5 years off retirement, having just taken out a 25 year mortgage

I've got two separate pensions at the minute, one from old job in a currently rather controversial scheme - not paying in any more and have no idea how much is in there other one is current - they do send me a statement but I've never sat and looked for long enough to understand it... Might follow your lead one day and investigate (not today though )

Keep talking about cycling, you might inspire me to another bike ride at the weekend
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Pensions are so complicated Cheery, they make my head hurt I need some who understands the basis on which my TP is calculated. Since the 2012 changes I can't even work out which category I'm in

I am loving my newly fixed bike . Next week's weather and your beautiful, new surroundings should inspire you

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Morning

I'm currently enjoying my almost penultimate coffee in bed before returning to work on Monday

I've been thinking about what I must do before Monday and what I'd ideally like to do

Must

Mark writing assessments

Change two beds

Work out how to assemble fancy pants gifted vacuum as mine is dying

Pack the 8 eBay items that have bids . The first lot of auctions end on Sunday.

Fill in nasty form

Food shop

Deal with another large red cabbage - braised in sc I think

Repot radishishes

Would like

Plant some salad leaves in propogators

Fill green garden bin with branches (still a huge pile)

Make flatbread for the freezer

Spring clean living room

I'm going to start by reading until 8.30

Happy Friday

PP xx

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 13th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 3,018 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Well done on starting to understand your Pensions, we recently did all this and I had the revelation that I could actually retire early at 56. Our pensions are fairly uncomplicated final salary pensions with 40+ years for Mr Mee and 35 for me.

I am now tracking all of our spends so that I can accurate predict what we will need to live on when we retire.

For us, it is the early part of retirement that needs the most funding as other sources of income kick in later ( like SRP)

The cycling sounds great, but it is far too hilly where we live so I will stick to the walking and running !
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Well done on starting to understand your Pensions, we recently did all this and I had the revelation that I could actually retire early at 56. Our pensions are fairly uncomplicated final salary pensions with 40+ years for Mr Mee and 35 for me.

I am now tracking all of our spends so that I can accurate predict what we will need to live on when we retire.

For us, it is the early part of retirement that needs the most funding as other sources of income kick in later ( like SRP)

The cycling sounds great, but it is far too hilly where we live so I will stick to the walking and running !
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Hiya Busy

That all sounds very sensible, including not biking up big hills The very best of luck with your exciting plans

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Good evening

Today has been a good day, mainly because the kids are back .
    We had a nice family dinner of batch cooked chilli from the freezer, a couple of boxes of 10p ys pilau rice from yesterday's haul and clearance tortilla chips from £stretcher - we know how to push the boat out

Talk over dinner was a bit sombre as dd's company is making some redundancies. She's ok but one good friend isn't and many are having to reapply for jobs I did however allow me to drive home some key points, mainly work hard and make yourself useful to have around and always bullet proof your finances so if the worst happens it's a setback rather than a disaster. She's good with money and is a saver not a spender but I could tell all the conversations we've had over the years about car finance and the like were making even more sense now. She's a good lass and she's not got sucked into some of the expensive habits her mates have and for that I'm truly grateful . Her brother on the other hand, shall we politely say, is a work in progress

I've had a pretty productive day. I've had a much needed rest day as my staycation was rather active and my poor old leg muscles were suffering a bit! Consequently, it was nice to focus on other things.

Mfw successes included ;

Grocery shop done for £27.06 including dog food and a few toiletries so that was ok (still over budget though)

Claimed my free Primula cheese from Shopmium

Spoke to the IFA - very helpful and appointment booked for two weeks time for initial review and to get the info he needs to do various projections. This stage is free but there may be costs later on if advice is needed which is fair enough

Made overnight oats, low fat hummus and white chocolate crispy cakes so that's healthy (and not so healthy) snacks sorted out for the weekend.

Braised red cabbage with apples is in the sc ready to go on overnight and lentils are soaking ready to go in sc veggie Bolognese in the morning.

Nasty form filled in

Laundry on the airers ( doing beds tomorrow when it's meant to be fine).

Assembled fancy new gifted vacuum (surprisingly simple) and whizzed through the house. It's cordless and rather brilliant - very pleased with it and myself

Car filled up ready for work on Monday

I'm off to watch some tv before I head out to collect ds followed by a reasonably early night

Happy Friday to you

PP xx

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    • 29,593 Posts
    • 170,317 Thanks
    Karmacat
    And a Happy Saturday to you, PP, you've been busy again on the Friday!

I'm glad your DD is taking things in her stride - great that she's talking with you about this stuff. Life is difficult for young adults now, and no mistake.

But trying to stay on the upside ... I'm loving cordless vacuums
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 14th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    And a Happy Saturday to you, PP, you've been busy again on the Friday!

I'm glad your DD is taking things in her stride - great that she's talking with you about this stuff. Life is difficult for young adults now, and no mistake.

But trying to stay on the upside ... I'm loving cordless vacuums
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I think it may change my life Karma The old one was spitting out more bits than it was picking up!
    Hope you're having a nice weekend and that you're not too weary after all your gardening and clutter clearing

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 14th Apr 18, 9:40 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

What a beautiful day - never ceases to amaze me how a bit of sun raises your spirits and your energy levels. I've had a day where I just wanted to get things done which is just as well as I'm back at work on Monday and tomorrow is earmarked for all things school related

In money news I've had a nsd and my eBay bids are up to £43.50 with one day left to go. It'll be nice to have something to os during the mid month lull but it'll also be nice to declutter at least 11 unused items

I've had a really productive day. I had a couple of hours with dad this morning before the carer arrived which was nice. He's not managing his few little independent tasks anymore which is sad but he's always so pleased to see you. He was particularly pleased to see me this morning as I took him a lemon tart out of the freezer for his elevensies Once home I had breakfast with the kids and then just pottered in the kitchen as dd had a rare day at home and wanted to chat so all in all a lovely morning

The sc has earned its keep today as it was one thing out, a quick wash and another thing in! My freezer stocks of easy family meals was low, lots of individual bits of lo but no batches of anything. As I'd stocked up on pulses in hb I did various veggie dishes which we like, are really healthy and are as cheap as chips . I did braised red cabbage and apples overnight using the last of the 19p S6 cabbages (glad I took advantage as the S6 offers since have been rubbish - a whole 3p off carrots this week). I used the FP to chop a load of onions and grate a load of carrots and got a batch of veggie Bolognese done which is now in veggie lasagnes in the freezer and a batch of veggie chilli which is cooling so I'll bag that up tomorrow. I've just put veggie shepherds pie filling on low to cook overnight using some rather old puy lentils I found at the back of the cupboard. Hope they taste ok I'm jiggered now but I'll have no cooking to do once I'm back at work which will be a huge help.

Other mfw successes included ;

Cleaned living room windows. When I'm mf I'm going to get a window cleaner

Filled green bin with branches - had two huge piles but only have one now

Swept the patio and the decking - saw a hedgehog scuttling under the decking this morning so I was extra quiet

Poured weedkiller on the b****d shrub I've been trying to dig up for what feels like forever

Changed my bed and got everything line dried and back on.

Did two loads of laundry and got one dry and the other is on the airers.

Repotted my radishes and planted two trays of rocket

Lunch was hm leek and potato soup and dinner was odds and ends omelettes with baked potatoes.

I'm off to hop into my nice clean bed with a cup of sleepy tea and my book as I'm on dad duty in the morning so I need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed

Happy Saturday to you

PP xx

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Apr 18, 7:46 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    You had a busy and very productive day PP.

Ive just bought a new hoover after years of battling with my old one trying to get it to actually pick up stuff!

Have a great Sunday.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Apr 18, 2:18 PM
    • 2,258 Posts
    • 14,411 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Wow - I'm tired just reading your ta-da list PP! - No wonder you were ready for bed!
    1 YEAR & 9 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Wow - I'm tired just reading your ta-da list PP! - No wonder you were ready for bed!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Hello Rtandon thank for popping in . You've clearly spotted I'm not great at pacing myself
    Hope you've had a good weekend

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

I've had a much easier day . I spent the morning with dad which was nice followed by an afternoon of school work which was less nice but at least it's done!

Other than that I've been for a run, read, watched a couple of episodes of Macella and taxied the kids here and there and had a nice family dinner

In money news I've had a small grocery spend on milk and a 10p loaf of crusty bread. I've cut it in half and out one bit in the freezer so it should do the kid's breakfasts this week as they tend to have toast and a bit of fruit. My eBay sales finished and I made £85.80. Packing was so much easier using the self seal bags which worked out at 0.5p each

Lo are defrosting for tomorrow 's lunches and ds's sandwiches are made so I'm off for an early night in anticipation of my return to work

Happy Sunday to you

PP xx
    Last edited by pinkypig; 15-04-2018 at 10:32 PM.

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    You had a busy and very productive day PP.

Ive just bought a new hoover after years of battling with my old one trying to get it to actually pick up stuff!

Have a great Sunday.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    It's almost a pleasure to hoover now it was also a gift from an impulse buying rellie who claims it was too sma!l. Their loss is our gain!!

Hope you've had a lovely Sunday too xx

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Apr 18, 11:53 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 7,788 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Good luck with the return to work tomorrow. Are you I'm full ye6 horror mode now? I remember you have a mixed class, but can't remember if it's 4/5 or 5/6.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 18th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

Poor, neglected diary - I've been without my tablet for two days and I find posting from my phone frustrating beyond belief!

I've survived three days back at work ( yes Wish it is SATs hell for a while ) and it's been ok, in fact its good to be back. I must confess to being very tired though. I've kept my marking up to date and have done an inset evening so that's probably why!

In money news I've os £70 of eBay money and hopefully have more come once an echeque has cleared. I've also had three nsd . We now have one banana and a tin of grapefruit so fruit is needed tomorrow.

Other mfw and generally lifestyle successes have included;

Swallowed three frogs by way of two forms and a letter. Glad they're done.

Very thrifty meals. Ys bread has done the kid's breakfast all week and two packed lunches, I've had porridge and Lunch for dd and I have been lo. Dinners have all been batch cooked from the freezer - such a relief on a busy week

All laundry up to date and line dried

Weights class done Monday, spin Tues and a short run today

Kids are on great form

Stuff in propogators all germinated but need repotting soon

Gorgeous weather. Planning a very long,challenging mountain walk that needs good weather for the weekend - very excited

Happy hump day

PP xx

£13,099.94/£15,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin