Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,145Posts
    • 9,509Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 37
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 4th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 5,670 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Happy hump day indeed. Sounds like a good day. I hope the weather is better for you tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I've seen the odd fish swimming down the street. It's too wet for anything else!
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1400ish/£2,500
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Much better today Wish - wall to wall sunshine. Hope you were able to get out and enjoy it, being confined to barracks with a little one can be a challenge!

My balanced approach to my days was a bit out of kilter today but I did get the kitchen and the hall way spring cleaned and painted. They were so grubby . Nice and fresh now though.
    I did get out in the sunshine early on as I had an expenses cheque to pay into the bank and I needed laundry liquid from £land and some bits from HB. Green lentils are back . I'm so easily pleased
    In total I had a £9.08 grocery spend but I've got at least a month's worth of pulses and laundry liquid and a £1 hair dye that will touch my roots up twice

I popped into my favourite charity warehouse to have a look for travel books on Thailand for dd and to see if there were any potential eBay items. There wasn't either but I did get a lovely pair of Clarke's shoes for work for the summer. They are immaculate and a serious bargain at £3. I also found a 6kg kettle bell that I be been hankering after for a while so another £3 spent but its a right fancy one that can be altered to weigh 2, 4 or 6kg.

Other mfw successes were;

Cheap healthy eats (overnight oats, lo for lunch and ys sea bass and hm savoury rice for dinner)

Gave my self a quick trim - its less terrifying now and it looks quite nice. I always found the hairdresser cut too much off the length. I just tidy up the ends

Got a load of laundry line dried

Had a long chat on the phone with my sister

Tomorrow I'm having lunch with a friend, we usually go out but in the spirit of shifting this b****y mortgage we are meeting here. I've shoved a load of 19p S6 veg in the sc with some tinned toms and a load of spices so we can have curry and have left it on low overnight. There's lo pilau rice, Bombay potatoes and hm naan in the freezer lo from Easter Sunday so it'll be nice and easy as well as thrifty . I'm really enjoying more entertaining at home and it saves a fortune. Win/win

The kids are seeing their dad this weekend and so I'm going to have the holiday part of my holiday

Happy Thursday, hope its been a good one

PP xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target £15,000

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Apr 18, 7:26 AM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 5,670 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like a fabulous couple of days. Pickle and I did get out in the sunshine yesterday, but you've already read what happened. I'm a complete numpty.
    Today is looking similar on the sunshine stakes though.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Apr 18, 11:37 AM
    • 29,009 Posts
    • 165,142 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds like you packed in a load of stuff yesterday, PP, great stuff. I confess though, I never shop at HB (you mean Holland & Barrett, yes?) if I can avoid it - their pricing policies throw me into a tantrum every time I see their Point Of Sale literature I buy basic dried peas and beans from Sainsbo or Asda, then top up every so often from an online site I was recommended to.

Love the sound of everything else - and you've reminded me that the washing machine finished 20 minutes ago, and I still haven't hung out the washing. Off to do that right now!
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds like a fabulous couple of days. Pickle and I did get out in the sunshine yesterday, but you've already read what happened. I'm a complete numpty.
    Today is looking similar on the sunshine stakes though.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hope your foot is better Wish xx

That sounds like you packed in a load of stuff yesterday, PP, great stuff. I confess though, I never shop at HB (you mean Holland & Barrett, yes?) if I can avoid it - their pricing policies throw me into a tantrum every time I see their Point Of Sale literature I buy basic dried peas and beans from Sainsbo or Asda, then top up every so often from an online site I was recommended to.

Love the sound of everything else - and you've reminded me that the washing machine finished 20 minutes ago, and I still haven't hung out the washing. Off to do that right now!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hiya Karma

It's Home Bargains, do you have one near you? Theryre brilliant for toiletries, cleaning products and store cupboard stuff .
    Hope you're enjoying the better weather. Isn't it great to be line drying again? I love the smell of line dried laundry

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 29,009 Posts
    • 165,142 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh thank heavens! I hear great things of Home Bargains, absolutely - but no, they aren't in my town. I just went to the store locator on their website, and the nearest is over 20 miles from me, in a very rich town, with no direct train route

And yes, like you, loving the line drying - it was just windy enough here that things were 95% dry when I brought them in

Have a lovely "proper holiday" weekend
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Morning

I've begun my staycation. I spent yesterday doing a few jobs so that I can enjoy a guilt free few days of r&r. I also had an at home lunch with a lovely friend and it was so nice as we didn't feel the need to rush. We had two courses and coffee for effectively nothing as it all came from stores At home entertaining has been a real switch for me and I'm a convert

The holiday part of the holidays has got off to a fine start with hm curry and a couple of glasses of my favourite wine. I'm going to have to be disciplined given how much I've got available

Today started with coffee in bed and a couple of chapters of my book followed by a run along the river and through the woods with my very favourite running buddy followed by a day of pottering. I baked some picnic goodies for when we are out and about this week while the good bike fairy fixed my bike ready for our epic (for me) bike ride tomorrow!
    Lunch was hm soup using S6 leeks and ys artisan bread and as the rain arrived the afternoon has been spent reading in between turning the sloes from the sloe gin into jam and making some flat bread dough to go with tonight's tagine.

We started watching The Fall last night and it was really good so another couple of episodes and a maximum two glasses of wine tonight as I don't want to be hungover for our long bike ride tomorrow!

In money news I claimed £5.31 account rewards so I'll os that when it arrives in my account. I also spent £7.95 inc postage on a pair of long, leather boots for work off ebay which is less than I paid to get my old ones heeled and soled! They are really good quality and would retail at about £150 really chuffed with them . I'm going to be well over on personal spends this month but I'll have a refreshed work and summer wardrobe and I should still be on budget YTD as I was under budget in January and March. Just need two more things and I'll be done

Happy Saturday to you

PP xx

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 8th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    michelle09
    Aww...HomeBargains. One of things I really miss about living in the NW!

Your staycation sounds wonderfully relaxing.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Aww...HomeBargains. One of things I really miss about living in the NW!

Your staycation sounds wonderfully relaxing.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    HB is fab

Today was initially relaxing but turned into bootcamp Michelle

Enjoyed it though! Hope you've had a lovely weekend

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

A love!y, relaxing start to the day reading and drinking coffee in bed followed by 26 mile hilly, occasionally muddy but very beautiful and hugely enjoyable bike ride. First one I've done in decades! All that spinning has given me match fit legs but but less skills in the safe in charge of a moving bike, especially around corners department
    No spends apart from the carpark as we took all our own food and drinks.
    Off for a bubble bath followed by a heat up batch cooked dinner, a glass of wine and an episode of The Fall if I can stay awake!

Feeling a good sort of tired and very content with my mfw life

Happy Sunday to you

PP xx

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 9th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hello

I'm thoroughly enjoying my staycation. Today's adventure was a hill walk which included two decent peaks and one minor one. It was so clear and sunny, you could see for miles including the distant tops that were covered in snow.
    Parking was free (in a lay by) and lunch was a hm picnic using the stuff I made on Saturday. As we were late back dinner was batch cooked veggie dhansak, poppadoms and Bombay potatoes from the freezer so all in all a lovely, full day for nowt

In money news I've had a nsd but I've had to give an eBay refund for an undelivered item I've got proof of postage so I'm hoping I'll be able to claim it back from RM. I've also got a lot of live listings now and bids on two items . I've ordered 50 self seal postage bags for £2.86 to make packing a bit quicker and easier.
    Other than keeping on top of the laundry and home cooking I've done nothing but enjoy myself. Two more days to go and then its knocking off the last few jobs before I go back to work.

Off to watch an episode of the fall before an early night - I'm pooped!

Happy Monday to you

PP xx

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 5,670 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds lovely.
    How many nsds are you up to this month?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 29,009 Posts
    • 165,142 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It really does sound lovely! And how high (up!) you must have been to have such views
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 8,075 Posts
    • 39,548 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh, impressed with your 26 mile bike ride PP!
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £206.35
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds lovely.
    How many nsds are you up to this month?
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    It's been great so far Wish

I don't actually count my nsd - I probably should

It really does sound lovely! And how high (up!) you must have been to have such views
    It was amazing Karma - made you feel glad to be alive

Gosh, impressed with your 26 mile bike ride PP!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Omg Cheery, I was knackered i don't think I've ever been on a bike ride before, I just tootle around on my bike and spend a few hours a week sweating profusely on a stationary one
    I thoroughly enjoyed it though so more biking from now on

You sound you've been hugely active too - you do feel better forit don't you ?

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Apr 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hello

Autumn is back It's been grey and cold all day and its been lovely . We had a run along the river and back through the woods which was great despite the weather. The rest of the day has been reading, pottering and box set watching - bliss

Lunch was lo so no cooking but I did make some scones to try out the sloe jelly I made earlier in the week. I used the sloes lo from the gin and it was lovely but weirdly didn't taste of gin! I also used up a huge S6 red cabbage from last week and made 4 big jars of pickled cabbage which ds loves. The rest of the day was tea drinking, scone eating, reading ( a newly found FIRE blog which is really good) and TV watching. I feel very relaxed and rested

I've no money news other than it's been a nsd.

Dinner will be ys sea bass, Herby potatoes and green beans and the last of my holiday wine allowance followed by the next episode of The Fall .

Happy Tuesday to you

PP xx

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 29,009 Posts
    • 165,142 Thanks
    Karmacat
    PP, can I ask you for a linkie or info about the sloe jelly? I saw sloes being used last week on Masterchef, cooked in smoked tea, and I remembered that 3 minutes away on the train is a huge patch of sloe trees. Used to have one within walking distance, but houses have been built there since I moved in. They're a resource, so I'd love to use them, but don't want **too** much sugar, which is why I keep on searching for recipes every so often
    Retired August 2016
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 11th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    A newly found FIRE blog which is really good
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Don't leave us hanging!

Mtg [2013 £64k|2014 £51k|2015 £38k|2016 £26k|2017 14k] Zero!
    MN [2013-£25k|2014-£2k|2015+£16k|2016+£34k|2017+£52k] +£53,278.53 (MFiT4:+60k)
    NW [2013 £126k|2014 £156k|2015 £190k|2016 £228k|2017 £269k] £268,597.74 (2020:300k)
    FI [2013 -1.2%|2014 2.8%|2015 6.9%|2016 13%|2017 18%] 28.8% (exc SP)
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    PP, can I ask you for a linkie or info about the sloe jelly? I saw sloes being used last week on Masterchef, cooked in smoked tea, and I remembered that 3 minutes away on the train is a huge patch of sloe trees. Used to have one within walking distance, but houses have been built there since I moved in. They're a resource, so I'd love to use them, but don't want **too** much sugar, which is why I keep on searching for recipes every so often
    I used this one karma but I only had two small apples so I put an extra squirt of lemon in. It's really nice

http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk/growing/wild-food/sloe-jelly-recipe-a-taste-of-the-wild

Don't leave us hanging!
    Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
    https://ournextlife.com/2015/06/24/guest-post-from-eat-the-financial-elephant-the-weight-of-your-decisions/

It's a bit 'American' but they're really honest about mistakes and lapses . Hope you enjoy it

£4,964.08/£15,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening

Its been the last day of my staycation and its been just fab

It started with a lie in until 8.30 followed by a coffee in bed, a great start to any day . Got out for a proper trail run which blew the cobwebs away!

Lunch was out of the freezer soup and ys bread and as the weather was dry we headed out for a bike ride which was a respectable 16 miles and included a hm scone stop

I've no money news other than a nsd.

Happy Wednesday
    PP xx

£4,964.08/£15,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

4,274Users online

Martin's Twitter