Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,213Posts
    • 9,956Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 32
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 2nd Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    That is some awesome savings pp.

Hope you have a lovely, restful weekend and that school does indeed reopen safely on Monday.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Thanks Wish, its felt a bit squeaky since Christmas so its really motivating to see that mortgage balance coming down. Desperately want to be sub 90k but it won't be this month as I'm well down on income. Any overpayments this month will be hard-fought but I'm determined to os something!

I hope you have a lovely weekend too. I'm getting rather used to being a lady of leisure
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 2nd Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Spendy spendy today All necessary and all budgeted for but it still feels a bit uncomfortable to be hammering my credit card so early in the month!

The weekly food shop was 30.60 so just under budget. Top ups need to be avoided but we will need milk at some point. This is a bit higher than of late but toiletries, cleaning bits and dishwasher tabs were needed. It also included cake making and marmalade ingredients so at least I have three large cakes and 6 jars of marmalade now
    I had a 5 voucher for Morrisons which I used for dog food and orange juice in the end because everything seemed so expensive compared to Aldi. Can't believe how much I've saved by switching to them

Also had a 37 spend on fuel and 35 on ds's prom ticket. Luckily his cousin passed on a really nice suit so the only other expense will be getting the trousers altered.

In other news Music magpie have sent me 38.71 and I've made 48 eBay profit in two weeks and have got 26.42 worth of bids on this week's items. Its a bit of a faff but it gets rid of unwanted/unused stuff and will allow me to os something in March while income is lower.

March's goals will be ;

Os 200 (its usually 430). 70 will be from the os interest so that leaves me 130 from sales or grocery, fuel or personal saves. Challenging but doable if I get my finger out.

880 net into AVC

Exercise 4 times a week including at least one run

Drink 2 Lt of water a day

Sort out year financial year end accounts and tax year end accounts. As of this year these will be the same so much simpler.

Try a new recipe a week. Very set in my ways

Off now as my services as an unpaid taxi driver are needed

PP xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 2nd Mar 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I've really enjoyed today as I've pottered (which I love) in my home (which I also love). Feeling very content

Meals have been been perfect for the weather (can't ever remember it being quite this cold). Porridge for breakfast, spicy lentil and carrot soup and ys artisan bread for lunch and chilli, rice and ys 10p spicy tortilla chip for dinner .Kids wolfed it down which is always a good sign

Pottering has also achieved;

Two family size portions of chilli for the freezer

5 tubs of sc tomato and basil sauce (my 5p live basil wasn't perking up so it needed using).

3 wrinkly peppers and lo pineapple turned into sweet and sour sauce for later in the week.

3 sponge cakes (one for us, one for mum and dad and one for the freezer) used hm plum and mulled wine jam as a filling and it was yummy

6 jars if marmalade (but did cheat and used a tin of Marmade)

Laundry done and on the airer

All eBay items with bids are parcelled (and clearly labelled so I don't get muddled!) to save me some time midweek.

Unblocked sink

Did food shop (brrr didn't hang around). Also left my list on the kitchen table

Ordered prom ticket

Filled car up ready for next week.

I also curled up on the sofa and read for an hour, lovely

Having a TV catch up before I go and pick up ds. Dd is out with her bf so a nice, quiet evening

Happy Friday to you

PP xx
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Mar 18, 7:39 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Fantastic end of month totals there PP.

Your snow days sound as if they have been very productive and cosy
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 3rd Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Fantastic end of month totals there PP.

Your snow days sound as if they have been very productive and cosy
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    They have been rather nice, I'm hoping life will be like this when I get to early retirement - minus the snow and ice though !!

How is it where you are? Not too awful I hope xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 3rd Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Its snowing again Tucked up with a large coffee and the electric blanket on and not moving until 8.30!
    When i picked ds up last night the car had developed a shake and a clunk hoping nice mechanic can take a look at it today. Other than that its cleaning, pizza dough, reading and some school stuff. Its just not fit to be out.

Happy Saturday

PP xx
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    It is quite bad here too, we had a snow day yesterday - the roads are just treacherous. I am enjoying pottering in our lovely home
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 3rd Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    michelle09
    Your Saturday sounds perfect. My grandmother is complaining at being cooped up, I just like the plan of being stuck inside for the day.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 38,665 Thanks
    CathT
    We had our worst snow last night and still having the odd shower. I think we are are all happy to stay in. The children have not even asked to play outside or go sledging. I think they still remember just how cold they got last time. Soggy gloves made for a very sad 6 year old last time it snowed.
    May 2018 -
    part 1 - 77,906
    part 2 - 45,391
    Total - 123,297
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 29,216 Posts
    • 166,915 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Fantastic few days for you, PP! Though the blocked sink and the clonking car sound not-fantastic-at-all. Horrified to hear snow is still falling! We had another dose yesterday, but now the mist has gone, its really sunny, and the snow that was still laying is melting - hopefully that will get to you really soon.
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 3rd Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hi lovely folks , thanks for popping in, i hope you've had a fabulous day pottering

I certainly have! The car is still a bit clunky but apparently nothing obvious so tyres checked and pressure topped up and back in later in the week to have it properly looked at with the wheels off

Straight home after that, too cold to hang around. I've spent the day marking, bit of cleaning, bit of laundry, helped ds with some English revision and watched a series of Luther on Netflix

Successes included ;

A nsd

Drank loads of water

Cheap, healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch and hm pizza and doughballs for dinner)

Laundry up to date

House clean and tidy

Freezer full to bursting

Pork defrosting for big roast dinner tomorrow

EBay bids up to 32

My breadmaker that seemed to be on the blink is behaving brilliantly . The pizza dough was lovely. So glad its not knackered as I love convenience (and the results).

Off to bed soon, all this pottering is exhausting, hope your Saturday nights are more exciting

PP xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 3rd Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 6,202 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    My Saturday nights are definitely not exciting. But, they are what they are and I shall be pleased with my lot.

Sounds like a good day.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    My Saturday nights are definitely not exciting. But, they are what they are and I shall be pleased with my lot.

Sounds like a good day.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    You're right there Wish, read about a homeless man found dead on a park bench last week. Found covered in snow, truly horrific

Hope its improving for you, definitely better here today
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Having had two weeks of herbal tea at bedtime (rather than hot chocolate) I'm sleeping so well. I must pop over and thank Greying Pilgrim for the tip. Can't believe how much better I feel and look (tiredness at my age is brutal).

Woke at 7, read until 8 then jotted down my to dos. I've had a look at Flylady and I can see why she's so popular. At the risk of getting things thrown at me for being so annoying - I'm very tidy Just can't help it, mess stresses me out! I'm not terribly clean. On the surface yes but start moving things and its I did find some really useful tips though so my routines will be tweaked.

I read years ago about sweep and swipe which I do in the bathroom and kitchen daily. Literally 5 minutes = huge difference. I also put laundry straight it the basket, make the bed when I get out of it, do laundry every other day and empty all the bins on bin collection day. This keeps things manageable during the working week and helps my general mental well being. A relatively new thing is fold laundry and put it away immediately. Its taken months but this is generally a habit now and takes minutes but makes a huge difference.

My new habits for March () will be putting out my hot spot (shoving admin in junk drawer), shining my sink (leave plastic stuff on drainer, horrible to get up to when you're in a rush) and dressed properly. Through the week no problem but at the weekends I tend to shower, throw on trackies, don't do hair or face. I'm more efficient dressed properly, hair dried and face on! Mrs Frugalwoods would have a fit at the time and money I'm wasting but at my age I aint gonna change now. I don't wear much make up and its all Poundland or Primark so it doesn't break the bank. My hilarious 'I think of her as my niece' calls it self confidence for the face when they make her take hers off at school

So we'll see if March is the month where you teach a middle aged dog new tricks!

So far;

Up, showered, dressed properly, hair dry and face on

Wood burner cleaned out and on

Dry laundry folded and away

Sink shined!

Dishwasher emptied.

Off to get teenmonster up ( let him have a good lie in on a Sunday) as revision calls

Happy Sunday to you

PP xx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 29,216 Posts
    • 166,915 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Some of the concepts in Flylady are terrific, aren't they? I *do* suspect a "surrendered wife" in there somewhere, but I take what I need and ignore the rest. V v useful!
    Retired August 2016
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 4th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Sounds a few lovely pottery few days PP ....if slightly enforced by snow!!

Love the flylady tips too...although by the state of some parts of my house definitely don't always follow them!

at "self confidence for the face" very witty!
    Have a good Sunday evening xxxx
    MF planning for the simple life
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Some of the concepts in Flylady are terrific, aren't they? I *do* suspect a "surrendered wife" in there somewhere, but I take what I need and ignore the rest. V v useful!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Ignoring bits is good - she's terrifyingly efficient isn't she?

Hope you've enjoyed your weekend xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds a few lovely pottery few days PP ....if slightly enforced by snow!!

Love the flylady tips too...although by the state of some parts of my house definitely don't always follow them!

at "self confidence for the face" very witty!
    Have a good Sunday evening xxxx
    Originally posted by Downshifterella
    Hiya Ella how are you??

The pottering has been just lovely but I'm getting stir crazy for some exercise!

My surrogate niece is an absolute hoot ( although I'm not sure her teachers would agree tbough). She always makes me laugh
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Back to work tomorrow, that'll be novel I joined friend's for a birthday drink this afternoon but apart from that I've just pottered and relaxed at home. Getting quite a taste for it ( pottering not afternoon boozing).

Mse successes included;

Listed two more items on ebsy . This week's bids are up to 36

Cooked roast dinner and portioned the lo up for lunch. There's loads of meat left for meals this week.

Made chilli bean soup for lunch and put 4 portions in the freezer.

Cleaned out the under the sink cupboard.

Wrapped mother's day pressie and friend's birthday pressie from sale bargains.

Put out my hot spot - all filed

Writing assessments up to date for the first time in forever. Not spoiling the moment by thinking about the fact that the next lot are due in two weeks

Going to have an hour of catch up tv and an early night.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    pinkypig
    A quick update as its late and I'm tired, possibly because I've managed a full day at work!

Success included;

Third nsd in a row

Drank loads of water

Weights class done

Helped ds with revision notes.

Lovely long chat with dd

Cheap, healthy eats (porridge, lo for lunch, veggie tagine and cous cous for dinner with enough lo for lunches tomorrow.

38.78 paid by Musicmagpie sent to os savings pot

Marking up to date.

Shiny sink

Off to bed now, happy Monday to you

PP xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,026Posts Today

5,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin