Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,130Posts
    • 9,398Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 27
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Take a ticket and join the queue .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    Can I also say I feel like I've been visited by MFW Royalty . You're one of my heroes!

Thank you for popping in Ma'am
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I know the media are a!ways warping on about the coldest day/night/week of the year/decade/century but I fear this time they may be right. Its bitter This morning the locks on the car were frozen and the ice on the windscreen was so hard it had to be chipped off rather than scraped. My hands were numb before I even set off!

Work came and went with no major incidents or dramas. I had a sports club at lunchtime so it seemed to go in a flash. I got my marking done before I left and I've finished marking my writing assessments which is great as they are the most time consuming.

Dd is having a night in with her bf as she's saving for a holiday and a house deposit (that's my girl ) and ds is at football training so its been quite a leisurely evening.

It also only two days until half term . I am very much looking forward to a staycation which will hopefully be a balance of rest and relaxation, active adventures and catching up on a few jobs at home. It needs to be thrify that's for sure so working around the weather its going to be walking (hopefully some big hills), running, cooking and baking, DVD catch up, reading, lounging, morning coffee in bed and catching up with folks that enhance my life and general well being
    It will not include shopping,eating out, takeaways and expensive treats - how times have changed

In money news I've had another nsd which means I haven't spent anything since Saturday. Tomorrow I will need petrol and this week's food shop so that will be a bit spendy but I'm hoping that will be it because nothing that is planned should cost more than a bit of fuel for the car and picnics from what can be found or made. We'll see... My other financial news is my potential tenant has filled in an application so subject to references they should be in within 5 weeks which would be great and will only leave it empty for about a week. Keeping my trotters firmly crossed

Other mfw successes included;

Two loads of laundry done, one on the airer, the other in the wm

Cobbled together what proved to be a nice dinner from bits and bats. It was lo turkey, lo gammon and chopped leeks in a cheese sauce overed in thinly slice potatoes and sprinkled with breadcrumbs from the freezer and grated cheese and baked in the air fryer until crunchy and bubbly. We had it with greenbeans and lo Yorkshire puds from the freezer and it was yummy. Proper tasty winter stodge - lovely. It was also huge and as cheap as chips. Lo will do lunches tomorrow.

Cheap healthy eats for breakfast (porridge) and lunch (lo Chinese duck and rice). Snacks were fruit and air popped popcorn in we sensible quantities.

Weights class done

2 litres of water drunk

Off to catch up on Silent Witness with lights out by 10.30 at the latest.

Happy Hump Day to you

PP xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like a lovely dinner.
    I can't believe it's half term next week. (Some schools are the week after here) the fact I didn't know it was about to be half term means I've well and truly left the teacher mode behind.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1400ish/2,500
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds like a lovely dinner.
    I can't believe it's half term next week. (Some schools are the week after here) the fact I didn't know it was about to be half term means I've well and truly left the teacher mode behind.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    I know, the spring term is so short! Not complaining though

Hope you're feeling better xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Today has been bonkers, I've just sat down for the first time today. Lots of stuff (all good) cropping up at work and then out at sports event (sooooo cold and wet but kids seemed immune and had a great time!) then a dash home to take ds to an opening evening, quick dinner, football practice, food shop, home to make cakes that ds decided yesterday that he needs to take to work experience, collect from football practice and finally take the poor dog out when he really didn't want to go! Honestly, I'm jiggered. When these cakes are done I'm off to bed, I'll get up early and shove lemon curd in them in the morning. Luckily I've just made some so its currently defrosting.
    In money news it was rent day and it arrived and I got 2.60 back from Shoppium so that was transfered to the os account. The food shopping including cake ingredients was 22.02 so as long as I avoid top up shops this week that puts me back on track for this month. I also had to fill the car up so a bit of a spendy day but all essentials so not so bad.

I've got very few successes as I've barely been at home!

Daily sweep and wipe done

Cheap, healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch, carbonara using the last of the lo gammon and hm garlic bread for dinner )

Three cakes made (1 for Ds to take to work, 1 for mum and dad and one for us). Might as well fill the oven if its on

Budget spreadsheets updated

Played merry hell with the kids for leaving all the lights on

Last day of term tomorrow and my staycation will begin with freezer curry, a boxset fest and a bottle of wine - half term holiday heaven

Nearly Friday folks

PP xx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 28,962 Posts
    • 164,709 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, you really deserve a good Friday night tomorrow! Thats mega busy ... loving the number of cakes too, by the way
    Retired August 2016
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    PP ypu!!!8217;ll Have a lovely half term. I however need to get off my bum and do stuff next week, I!!!8217;ve been far too lazy this week.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 9th Feb 18, 7:46 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    I read your half term as beginning with a box of wine! Lol

Hope the last day goes smoothly and the kids aren't too hyper!!
    X
    MF planning for the simple life
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Feb 18, 6:33 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 7,003 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Enjoy your half term
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Wow, you really deserve a good Friday night tomorrow! Thats mega busy ... loving the number of cakes too, by the way
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks Karma, Friday was much more chil!ed. Have a good weekend yourself xx
    PP ypu!!!8217;ll Have a lovely half term. I however need to get off my bum and do stuff next week, I!!!8217;ve been far too lazy this week.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    You've had one hell of a start to the year, do what you can when you can and sod the rest! It'll still be there awaiting for you when you feel better. Take care xx

I read your half term as beginning with a box of wine! Lol

Hope the last day goes smoothly and the kids aren't too hyper!!
    X
    Originally posted by Downshifterella
    Hiya Ella If I'd had z box I would've had to make do with a bottle and very nice it was too. Have a lovely weekend xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Feb 18, 7:55 AM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Enjoy your half term
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thanks EE. How are you? I'll pop over to your diary and catch up now I'm a lady of leisure for a week!
    Have a lovely weekend xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Coffee, bed, bit of a fuzzy head- must be half term Saturday, yey

Its pouring with rain so I'm going to stay cosy a while longer and contemplate plans for the day.

Yesterday was much calmer than Thursday and Friday night was a perfect start to my jollies, good company, freezer curry and hm naan bread, bottle of gifted wine and finished The Killing. It was also nsd

Off to enjoy my book whilst listening to the rain knowing I don't need to rush off anywhere. Bliss xx
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 16,544 Posts
    • 109,299 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Can I also say I feel like I've been visited by MFW Royalty . You're one of my heroes!

Thank you for popping in Ma'am
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    What, you mean I keep hanging about although I'm not really relevant anymore but everyone is too polite to say so .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Thank you for your kind words Pinky.

Have a lovely half term week.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 28,962 Posts
    • 164,709 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What, you mean I keep hanging about although I'm not really relevant anymore but everyone is too polite to say so .

One day I too shall be royal

This is such a nice place to be, and I've been here a loooong time ... Gally's royalty to me too
    Retired August 2016
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 16,544 Posts
    • 109,299 Thanks
    gallygirl

One day I too shall be royal

This is such a nice place to be, and I've been here a loooong time ... Gally's royalty to me too
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Different branches of the same family KC .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 16,544 Posts
    • 109,299 Thanks
    gallygirl

Fear I may be getting selfish and a bit obsessed as when I saw news of the ongoing global crash all I could think about was the plummeting value of my pension funds
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    BTW, -3.3% in a week, -4.9% in past month . However, the low risk bonds where I keep 20% of the pot for short-term spends has only dropped 0.5% and that's the most important. Phew!
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 28,962 Posts
    • 164,709 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Different branches of the same family KC .
    Oh yeah, I remember finding the certificate ... Richard III had something to do with it
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Feb 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Yey visitors. Always,lovely to see you, however longer you've been hanging around

[Quoted=gallygirl;73860000]BTW, -3.3% in a week, -4.9% in past month . However, the low risk bonds where I keep 20% of the pot for short-term spends has only dropped 0.5% and that's the most important. Phew![/QUOTE]

indeed. I'm getting close to ER (I hope) so my avc is in low risk funds, can't vouch for my money purchase pot from previous employer though Thank goodness my TP is final salary.
    You need nerves of steel don't you?
    Glad your short term spends fund is holding up. Xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    pinkypig
    It would appear the more time I have the more rubbish I am at posting

My staycation has been fab so far. Yesterday's rather grim weather didn't stop a run in the woods (long, hot shower afterwards was bliss!) and a lovely wander in the countryside in the afternoon followed by tea and hm cake. It was also a nsd so it ticked the thrift box too

Successes so far include;

Two lazy mornings with coffee and a leisurely read in bed
    Finished my book and latest boxset
    Tidied the garden and dug over the last section and got the last of the gifted bulbs planted.
    Swept the patio and decking. The patio is rather green and slimy though so I must do something about that
    Made scones and leftovers soup for today's lunch and treats.
    Had two good sleeps.
    Read through some stuff I'd been putting off - not as scary as I'd thought.
    All meals have been from the freezer so no effort involved, money saved and freezer space created.

Today we are forecast snow showers so after lunch it will be wrap up warm and head out for a long country walk followed by tea and cake in front of the fire. Hard pushed to think of a better way to spend a Sunday I'm so hoping ER will look a lot like this!

Happy Sunday

PP xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,400Posts Today

6,376Users online

Martin's Twitter