Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,260Posts
    • 10,212Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 22
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 10th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Your new year is storming ahead PP, you are so organised. I'm so impressed by your early nights, I really need to work on that. Hopefully the exercise will make that easier.
    Save 12k in 2015, Number #052 (19.4k)
    Save 12k in 2016, Number #031 (15.1)
    Save 12k in 2018, 3500 / 10k target

Mortgage overpayments 2018: 1388
    Huge mortgage 138K
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 6,993 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Did you get chance to watch it wish? Quite confusing unless I'm just being a bit thick!
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Not yet, haven't stopped doing house stuff really. Hubby home tomorrow, so we might sit and watch it together. While I do some
    Knitting.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Not yet, haven't stopped doing house stuff really. Hubby home tomorrow, so we might sit and watch it together. While I do some
    Knitting.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like a lovely evening
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Your new year is storming ahead PP, you are so organised. I'm so impressed by your early nights, I really need to work on that. Hopefully the exercise will make that easier.
    Originally posted by sofarbehind
    Don't always succeed SFB - must try harder

You're doing brilliantly with your running. Has your mW arrived yet? Xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Weary piggy...
    I've got endoftheweekitis! I'm jiggered but knowing its nearly Friday is keeping me going

Work was less hectic today with no extras so classroom was tidy and marking done and still got home in reasonable time to have a run, get dinner and get ds to football training.

I've no money news other than the car was just a service, no problems, no tyres etc so only 80. I'm so relieved/delighted -really thought this could torpedo January. Its also nice to know its likely to run OK as I do have quite a long drive to work.

Other successes included;

Drank 2 litres of water (get me!)

Daily sweep and wipe done

Ironing (things I can't avoid - I don't do much) done and put away

Used the last of the pork to make hm sweet and sour with noodles for dinner p!us two individual portions for the freezer.

Ys haul of muffins, crumpets and pancakes, sliced farmhouse loaves and artisan loaf 5p each, 5 sea bass 50peach, 50p sausages (posh ones, 2 ready meals 20p each. 5.39 spent but freezer now rammed. Breakfasts and packed !inches sorted for the rest of the month and a few nice dinners

Off to watch Silent Witness followed by a sensible bedtime

PP xx
    • Tjh1412
    • By Tjh1412 11th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Tjh1412
    Just finished reading your diary, you're doing amazingly well, though all the mentions of your hm ys bargains have made me quite peckish
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    PP, that was a really good Thursday evening to set you up for the weekend, good for you
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Just finished reading your diary, you're doing amazingly well, though all the mentions of your hm ys bargains have made me quite peckish
    Originally posted by Tjh1412
    Gosh - well done. Couldn't you sleep

Thank you so much for popping in and saying hello. Hopefully 'see' you again soon
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    PP, that was a really good Thursday evening to set you up for the weekend, good for you
    Originally posted by Karmacat

Hiya Karma Hope you have a good weekend and get to Christen your posh new coat xx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya you

I've just been wittering on any thread I can about what a quiet weekend it will be, I'm afraid but actually, I'll still make it a good one
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 13th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    michelle09
    The weekend is here!

That's a brilliant haul.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hiya you

I've just been wittering on any thread I can about what a quiet weekend it will be, I'm afraid but actually, I'll still make it a good one
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hope you've made a good start xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    The weekend is here!

That's a brilliant haul.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Yey. Hope you're having a good one xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Today seems to have inadvertently turned into a masterclass on how a rich life costs very little

It started with coffee and a good book in bed (obvs!) Followed by a healthy, leisurely breakfast. We decided to make the best of the weather (dry) by getting out for a long walk. I scraped together what turned out to be a very nice packed lunch from stores using ys artisan bread and hm scones. We had a lovely if windy walk including lunch in the woods and coffee in the car. A perfect day of relaxing, chatting and enjoying comfortable company.

Dinner was hm curry and naan bread from the freezer accompanied by a bottle of Christmas gift wine. We are about to settle down for Saturday night box set night (4 DVDs for a 1 from Cs clear out and a box set counted as one).

Could today have been any better if it had been a spendy Saturday as opposed to a no spend Saturday? Not b****y likely!

Off to do a bit more relaxing

PP xx
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 13th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Sounds perfect pp enjoy the box sets!
    You are so right..doesn't need a special day day to enjoy yourself xx
    MF planning for the simple life
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 14th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds perfect pp enjoy the box sets!
    You are so right..doesn't need a special day day to enjoy yourself xx
    Originally posted by Downshifterella
    Hiya Ella

The box set is a long one so it'll take us a while but its so good. Can't wait for the next episode
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 14th Jan 18, 8:40 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Last night's relaxing involved more wine than intended so strong coffee is brewing

Once I've pulled myself around its a run, lunch with a friend (eating at home ), watching ds play footie, prep for the week ahead and dinner at home. This weekend we've eaten entirely from the freezer so no cooking at all. Sadly, no housework either but its tidy and clean enough

Off to rehydrate! Have a good Sunday

PP xx
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 14th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 7,109 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Your thrifty Saturday sounds perfect to me
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 14th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Good luck with rehydration and your run, just in from one now and relaxing with a pay run coffee ....heaven!

Oooo which boxset is it? Always on the look out for a new one !
    X
    MF planning for the simple life
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Your thrifty Saturday sounds perfect to me
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Me too! My Saturday was nice, but today needs to be more walk-oriented
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,539Posts Today

7,806Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin