Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • luccaforum751
    • By luccaforum751 19th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    luccaforum751
    Spark Energy and Opos Limit problem
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    Spark Energy and Opos Limit problem 19th Jul 17 at 3:16 PM
    Hi,
    Over three years ago we moved into a rental property and had the misfortune to have Spark Energy as our energy supplier (we didn't choose this, it was already in place).

We had no end of problems with them and to be frank were the worst company I've ever had to deal with. We left the property in early April 2014 and received an email from Spark on May 2014 with the final bill which we paid within a few days.

We have had no contact with them since then - over three years ago. To say I was surprised to receive an email from Oposlimit asking for the money outstanding to Spark to be paid would be an understatement to say the least!

It's not a huge amount but it's the principle of the matter as we paid everything that was owed quickly and with the minimum of fuss (which cannot be said for the hassle dealing with Spark).

Has anybody had any similar issues?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by luccaforum751; 19-07-2017 at 3:48 PM.
Page 2
    • DRVN1
    • By DRVN1 23rd Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRVN1
    Spark Energy Meters
    Hello there Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager of Spark Energy

My daughter and her flatmates are experiencing terrible issues with payments through their meter in their rented property.

They moved into a 2/3 bed flat at the end of February and before committing, took some time to research the likely monthly cost of their electricity (there is no gas there.) Spark suggested that around £40 per month would be average for theirs.

Since that date, they have been averaging £100 + PER WEEK!!!
    IT IS KILLING THEM AS THEY DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY.

The problem is then that, they are being held to ransom because there is a meter at the property. They don't keep feeding the meter, they get no power.

So. WHAT'S THE REAL ISSUE?
    1) Their consumption is that of a grand mansion. Do they need to cut down?
    There's no way they use that much and they're virtually skinflints in their usage, so that's not it.
    2) SPARK CHARGES WAY TOO MUCH for their electricity?
    It's possible that theirs is not the best deal, but even that wouldn't account for they paying TEN
    TIMES THE AVERAGE THAT EVEN SPARK THEMSELVES ADVISED.
    3) There is a problem with the electrics within the flat itself.
    That was a possibility and the landlord arranged for an electrician to check the appliances.
    4) The meter is faulty?
    This is possible and SPARK promised to book a priority appointment at the beginning OF MARCH.
    They broke that promise.
    They then organised another 'appointment' on 18TH MARCH.
    They were called 24hours beforehand and confirmed that the visit would be between 8am-8pm
    THEY BROKE THAT APPOINTMENT.
    The next day they said they were not even aware an appointment was due!
    THEY SAID THAT THEY WOULD TRY TO ORGANIZE ANOTHER APPOINTMENT IN ABOUT 4 MORE WEEKS!

In the meantime, 3 people are paying in excess of £100 per week to SPARK.
    If the meter is found to be faulty, then a hefty refund is due.
    THE METER NEEDS TO BE CHECKED.
    Everything hinges on this check.

In the meantime, THEY NEED A BREAK FROM THESE OUTRAGEOUS PAYMENTS!
    And if the fault is with the electrics themselves?
    Then you have the guarantee that if any outstanding payments are due to you, they will be met.

THIS SITUATION IS CRIPPLING.
    They need help now Jenny please. NOW. I don't know how many times they spoken to your various teams, managers, live chat representatives BUT NOTHING CHANGES.

SORRY FOR THE TIRADE, BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE?!
    • Spark Energy: Jenny
      Verified User verified user
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 23rd Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Spark Energy: Jenny
    Hi DRVN1

I'm really sorry to hear that your daughter and her flatmates are having problems with their account.

Can you please ask them to email me using the address given in my profile? I'm happy to review the account for them, and see what I can do to help. I work for Spark's Complaints team so I can handle this as a formal complaint.

If they get in touch, please ask them to include the name of the main account holder, your MSE screen name, and the supply address.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 23rd Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 64,980 Thanks
    D_M_E
    DRVN1 - there could be nothing wrong with the meter - Spark could have put a debt on the thing from a previous tenant/occupier which the current occupants are wrongly paying off when they feed the meter.

Also get them to turn off ALL and any form of heating, including any hot water immersion heaters.
    • DRVN1
    • By DRVN1 23rd Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRVN1
    Jenny Customer Relations Manager address given in my profile?
    Dear Jenny,

Thank you for your prompt attention and reply.

Thank you too for your thoughts and ideas D-M-E
    We did get all of them to use a process of elimination to try to determine if it was the heating, immersion heater and so on. As it is, they're frightened to even boil a kettle!

It's been worrying us all half to death

I never considered the option that they could well be paying off an outstanding debt at that address ... but they understood that the place had been unoccupied for the previous 3 years.

It has been suggested that 'someone' could have tampered with the meter though, that's why the attitude that suggests a complete lack of urgency to have this checked, is so infuriating.

The other threads on here do not inspire confidence but something has to be done so we've stepped in, in an attempt to escalate this and find a realistic solution. A senior member of staff needs to take responsibility and some concerted action and more importantly, a resolution.

As it stands, there is no sense whatsoever that anything is, or will be done because there in no incentive by SPARK to do anything. The impression being given is that there is nothing to be gained by SPARK by assisting, because they're getting their money either way.

Jenny, I'm sorry this puts you in the firing line but how do I access 'the address given in your profile?'
    • DRVN1
    • By DRVN1 23rd Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRVN1
    SPARK ENERGY: JENNY
    View public profile
    Find more posts
    View all thanked posts
    Add to contacts

Which link do you want them to contact you through?
    • DRVN1
    • By DRVN1 23rd Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRVN1
    Spark Energy Meter CHECK PLEASE
    SPARK ENERGY: JENNY
    View public profile
    Find more posts
    View all thanked posts
    Add to contacts

Which link do you want them to contact you through?
    • Affynity
    • By Affynity 23rd Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Affynity
    I received an OPOS demand today for nearly £1600!
    I can still log in to my Spark Online account, even though it's been closed a year and I can see that the account is closed and the closing balance is £0.01 in credit.
    This OPOS letter doesn't allude to any particular bill or any particular billing period. It simply demands an unpaid bill.
    The client REF, which I assume corresponds to the Spark account number is not the same account number. But somehow, I have received this demand at my new address.

I don't feel confident that either Spark or OPOS are taking enough necessary steps to rectify this.
    • DRVN1
    • By DRVN1 23rd Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRVN1
    Scary!!!
    But the upset of this all is the fact that there is no arguing the billing because the meter must be fed or they'll be without!
    They've got them over a barrel and nobody seems to care because they're still getting their money rolling in.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 23rd Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 64,980 Thanks
    D_M_E
    If it's been unoccupied for the previous 3 years then there could be outstanding charges, such as the daily standing charge, added to the meter which the current occupiers have been landed with.

Also if the previous occupiers left leaving outstanding unpaid bills - it all adds up.

There may also be a cable leaching the supply and feeding an unknown power drain.

Have they tried turning off the mains switch - usually on or near the main fusebox - and doing without power overnight and see if anything nearby loses power?

A night should not have too much detrimental effect on freezers/fridges if they are left shut.
    • Campbell123
    • By Campbell123 23rd Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Campbell123
    Opos outstanding debt bill
    Jenny,

Me and my partner have just received a letter sent by Opos claiming that we have an outstanding bill of approximately £1800 despite having left Spark Energy over 18 months ago. Would you be able to look into this on our behalf if we send you our account details?

There has been no contact with Spark Energy since we moved to a new energy provider 18 months ago and we cleared any outstanding charges at the time. Is there any reason why these letters have been sent out to ex-customers?

Many thanks.
    • DRVN1
    • By DRVN1 23rd Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRVN1
    All worth a try. Good idea. Thank you.
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 24th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Hi DRVN1

If you click on "public profile" you'll be taken to my profile, and from there you'll see my contact email address under the "about" section.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Jenny
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 24th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Hi Affynity

Sorry to hear about this.

Can you pop an email to the address in my profile please? I'll need your full name, your MSE name, and if you can provide me with a copy of the letter you've received e.g. a photograph then I'd be happy to help.

Kind regards

Jenny
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 24th Apr 18, 10:28 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Hi Campbell123

Sorry to hear about this.

I'm more than happy to look into this for you. Please email the address in my public profile with your full name, your MSE name and your supply address.

Kind regards

Jenny
    • DRVN1
    • By DRVN1 24th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRVN1
    Jenny Customer Relations Manager address given in my profile?
    I have already sent an email to you via the 'customer experience' address, which was the only one accessible. No other email addresses or contacts on your profile are active.

I've not received a reply from you to that address so am wondering where we go from here?!
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 24th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Hi DRVN1

Thanks for your post.

You sent your email at 10.05am and I responded from my personal inbox at 10.59am.

Although I'm really keen to help, there is usually a two working day response time for emails, although I'll do my very best to keep you updated more regularly than that wherever possible.

Hopefully my email will reach you soon and we can go from there.

Kind regards

Jenny
    • AndyMTB
    • By AndyMTB 9th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AndyMTB
    OPUS and Spark Energy menances
    Astonished at just how bad Spark and Opos are! Just had my daughter in floods of tears on the phone, she lives 150 miles away and is 30 weeks pregnant, two weeks ago she was rushed into hospital with pregnancy complications - so you can imagine how concerned I was.
    She has had phone calls from OPOS chasing up a "debt" on behalf of Spark Energy supposedly incurred in 2016, culminating with an agent calling today describing how they can enter her current property and take away goods to satisfy the debt.

My daughter has never been a customer of Spark Energy, she left the property associated with the outstanding bill in mid-2015 and has full email evidence from the estate agents and landlord that everything was settled when she moved out - she even got her full deposit returned.

I have spoken to OPOS and they have agreed to put a hold on the situation, and claim that my daughter's emails have not yet been received - yeah, we all know how slow email is!!

It appears that these people do a minimum amount of checking and cross referencing, but believe in going in hard and fast. I suppose if you can scare 10% of victims to cough up, you could get a good return on your menaces. The victim might even believe that there really is an outstanding debt, if it's for an address that was relevant, but perhaps you can't quite remember the dates you left. In this instance, my daughter knows who her actual energy provider was and the exact dates that she resided there.

We await to see how this develops.
    Last edited by AndyMTB; 09-05-2018 at 7:09 PM. Reason: misspelt opos
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 10th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Hi AndyMTB

I am so sorry to hear about this. Rather than waiting to see how this develops, can I intervene? The last thing we want is for your daughter to be upset, especially in her current condition.

If it's possible, could you ask her to email the address given in my profile with any detail she can give, and if you're going to deal with the complaint for her can you also ask her to confirm she authorises you on the account?

I'd really like to help sort this out, and I can make sure OPOS stop contacting her.

Kind regards

Jenny
    • AndyMTB
    • By AndyMTB 10th May 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AndyMTB
    Hi Jenny.

My daughter is contacting you directly again.

Andy
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 10th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    Astonished at just how bad Spark and Opos are! ....
    Originally posted by AndyMTB
    Me too.

How can a supplier chase your daughter for money claimed she owes, when she claims she was never a customer of that supplier???

How did they get her name and address? I read on here that some suppliers just pick names & addresses out of the phonebook and send out random bills.

That's why I went ex-directory

In the meantime, I read on here that some people advocate reporting these scammers to Ofgem
    consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

964Posts Today

7,742Users online

Martin's Twitter