PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    what KM to do today? I feel at a loss, I know it evolves but I usually aim to do a little on most days. Maybe I will go over my dried food stores in the outbuilding and make a list to keep in the kitchen and tick off. I have much in the way of protected dried foods from my prepping days. I think I have to aim further ahead for these, spring, need to get through winter first. Always bearing in mind being snowed in for six weeks in 2010. Maybe the list first, use off the list, then clean sweep in march/april

GQ nice to see a free spirit

I used to walk loads, mountain leadership stuff in my young days but don`t do any walks now, not even short walks. Weaker ankle after tripping off a step while ogling riders on andalucian horses :D. I cycle everywhere because it keeps my ankles, knees and hips in the correct straight assembly. Need to preserve my joints, I see people here, ten years younger than me, with dogs for walking exercise and they gyrate from side to side, reinforcing bad posture with every footstep
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm still kondoing! Slowly now, because dds are at home, and sis-in-law is helping us out with the childcare at our place. It throws my natural rhythm completely off, and I feel like a stranger in my own house; 5 more working days..... I don't even have the time to sit down and get lost in a book for 30 minutes, being constantly interrupted, or feeling judged for it. And because I didn't get 'lost', even if I do take my 30 minutes, it doesn't feel complete, and I still feel unsatisfied, which creeps through the whole day and through my mood. I'll be happy when school starts again on 1 September, and all guests have gone.

Anyway: kondoed a lot of school paper from dd1, many individual toys (like McD gift toys, where we never get a happymeal, so I don't know how we got the toys), dds' too small clothes are in the attic, some admin was sorted out. I'll get there!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I saw my contact this morning who I recommended the book to. She was evangelising about it having read about half. Another Konvert I think.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Siebrie
    I forgot: on Tuesday we had a meeting at the church hall to finalise preparation of the 'starting Sunday' on 3 September. A few of the committee members are also
    Ssunday school teachers, and they were telling the committee (informally, after the meeting) that some church members have taken to donating their old toys and children's books. Which would be fine if they were in any form Christian, but they are not (think 'Monopoly' and fairytales by Disney). I helped them solve their problem by taking out all the non-Christian children's books and throwing them away (they were soooo dirty, and old, and just yucky) :D (to clarify: my definition of 'christian' is quite broad; I let all the 'let's count the farm animals' books stay :)).

At work, I'm still shredding every day, two shredders full, consistently; and I am sorting out one binder per day from the office of a colleague who was let go last year. Her tasks have been distributed to her colleagues, but no-one ever bothered to check what the old colleague had done upto that point and all her material is still in her old office. Last week, a new colleague was hired and is using that office, so is all needs to go.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    5 more items gone the way of Eb*Y - close on £160 made so far :) Some items have bids on but not counting those until paid for!! Those that dont sell will definitely go into CS bag which I will take tomorrow.

I think the Eb*y route has made me a bit lazy..........just looking at stuff that will sell. Hmmmm........think I need to get my ruthless hat on whilst I still have time before work starts again. DD1 will be home for the weekend - might try and persuade her to look at her stuff again and DD2 really needs a good sort out again before uni starts again. Over all though its all good....net flow out the door!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The Freegled toiletry items were collected today by a delightful young lady I also offered another small item, a luxury body oil, she was so delighted as her friend uses the product and she has always wanted to use it herself. Nice feeling to have been able to do something for such a lovely young person.

My Kondoing of yarn, needles, patterns etc yesterday yielded a bag of balls of assorted yarns to go to CS, may well be useful for those who knit/crochet toys etc, but sadly did not have a pair of needles in the size and type needed by a friend.

Just going to have another cuppa then may go and have a play in my craft cave, I have the eaves storage off one bedroom to myself and it is full of craft things, I have a couple of projects in mind so will try and corral what I need together, trouble is the entrance is quite low and I invariably crack my head quite hard when trying to reverse out of there. One box contains some hat boxes with lovely hats that don't get worn these days, may need to keep one on my head:(, the rest will go to CS in a few weeks time as we near Winter:(.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Siebrie
    My company is kondoing colleagues :( three in three weeks, and supposedly more to follow, all under the guise of 'reorganisation' and 'money saving'. And then they will be replaced by more expensive new colleagues within four months, I've seen it before.... We are already skeleton staff, the work needs to be done, the CEO wants to expand (more like: explode) which means muchmuch more work needs to be done, we need the people; and judging by the Team-In-Charge's salaries and bonuses, money is not exactly lacking...

I'd better get that Union Membership form filled in and sent in.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    2 more Freegled items of toiletries gone this morning a carrier bag jam packed with odd balls of yarn dropped into the CS.

I have dozens and dozens of pairs of knitting needles, my own, a late dear friend's and those belonging to my 2 MIL. The people who took my sewing machine also collect knitting needles, haberdashery etc to send out to developing countries, so I think my focus will be on sorting those out and also give my back a rest from grovelling around in the low eaves storage.

Siebrie - sounds like dealing with that union form would be a good idea.

I bought a dustbin type incinerator yesterday from Aldee, there is too much family history paperwork (dead ends and the like) to shred and well as a bin bag of stuff at DMs which has been lying around there for a couple of years, I am hoping that OH decided that he might like to play bonfires, if not I am sure that I will have fun doing it:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Filing a couple of docs lead to weeding of file. About 20 items into bag for burning (snap, Maddie!).

Dismantled a defunct picture frame to save the mount, rest in bag for tip.

Made a wish list for re-arranging and proper storage of a few things. It depends on co-operation of DH so will take a while and will meet lots of resistance :(

I forgot to mention, I did see a Pembroke table at the antique emporium. Solid mahogany, minor damage (easily restored). £75. Obvs it was not fancy but was solid, had one drawer, and all supports for leaves worked. I had stupidly forgotten my tape measure so did the 'hand span is 8 inches' rough measure and it was too big. By a couple of inches. It would fit the allotted space IF DH MOVED HIS BOOKCASE! Doh. Still working on this. The correct table would make such a difference. We simply don't use the current one because it is a gateleg one that is too big to have both leaves up and only seats 2 otherwise.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • AElene
    AElene Posts: 78 Forumite
    I love the Marie Kondo method, I've bought both her books. I came to a bit of a standstill when KonMarie-ing the electricals as I need to get a lot of them taken to the tip and I don't know how much the council charge to come round and pick them up (neither of us drive and the items are too big to lug on the bus!).

But I want to get back into the swing of things, so maybe need to pick another category for the time being, and get the electricals (old breadmaker, coffee machine, etc) taken away when I can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure