Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 5,241Posts
    • 24,219Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 109
    • greent
    • By greent 4th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7,082 Posts
    • 72,171 Thanks
    greent
    shampoo/shower gel/handwash/bubble bath/washing up liquid are all just liquid detergent of different strengths, so can all be used interchangeably, subject to personal preference (sometimes shampoo has lots of additives to make hair silky which means it's not so good for washing up, washing up liquid is the harshest so may not be so good for hair particularly in hard water areas). Hope that makes it easier to use up!
    Originally posted by firebubble
    THis!!! I am very much of the opinion that soap is soap is soap....
    I will use dregs up out of DD's shampoo bottles for washing up (apple scented, so it works) smellier scents (just the dregs - some bottles rean't easy to get it all out of in the shower due to the design of their caps) get used as dilute laundry liquid/ floor wash. Excess/ disliked hotel shower gel/ shampoo goes in OH's shower gel bottle (he doesn't care) or used to fill handwash (depending upon the colour - they have to match my bathrooms! )
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 4th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 9,757 Posts
    • 23,678 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    I've just purged gift bags (DH's side of the family seem to be obsessed with them). 23(!) out, keeping only the ones that are joyful and reusable. Remaining stash now fits in half the drawer space it was using. Will give MIL first dibs on the evacuees.

DH voluntarily joining in with the cleaning if not the KMing. The woo is working its magic
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - £2180.08 /£6,000 (36%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 4th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 9,757 Posts
    • 23,678 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    thought you might appreciate the humour (in amongst the social commentary horror and the tiny bit of swearing) of this article on 2018's hot decluttering trend, American apocalypse purging
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - £2180.08 /£6,000 (36%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    Wow this is so interesting! I plan to declutter and sell on eBay this week!
    Originally posted by 500daysaway
    Welcome to our thread.

I'm curious, what is or was 500 days away?
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 4th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    bumblebeany
    Kakeibo/kakebo

Just popping in to see if anyone else has come across or uses the Japanese method of household budgeting called Kakebo/kakeibo?

I only came across it the other day but do like the way that expenditure is laid out. 2 books came out 'about' it in november (links below). I say 'about' in inverted commas because it seems the books are english language actual kakeibo journals for you to fill in with basic explanation at the start.
    Once you know the method though you don't need to buy one you could easily create your own. (My version is currently taking form in my ringbinder scrappy re-use paper scraps bullet journal)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kakeibo-Japanese-Art-Saving-Money/dp/1405936134

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kakebo-Japanese-Saving-Money-Short/dp/1780723431/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRI D=A9BADQT8Y5G0XA6MVX3W

A basic explanation can also be found in this book review, plus there are thumbnails of some of the layout so you can expand the pictures to see how to create your own.

https://www.stylist.co.uk/books/how-to-save-money-kakeibo-japan-career-work-cash/174560
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 4th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 8,545 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Sorted some photos for DS1 birthday - found some of my Gran - in every one she has a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other!!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I think we must have shared a grandmother, lol.
    Decluttering 190/2018
    Deleting old emails 235/2018
    • wort
    • By wort 4th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    wort
    Thank you all re the shower gel, I will give it a go neat then and hope it comes up the plunger ok .

I had ordered a couple of items of clothing in the sale at work , they arrived yesterday and I took both back today! I think I'm going to try not to buy clothes this year, I'm pretty sure I don't need any, but I do love clothes. Nevertheless I'm going to make the effort!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 32,057 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I took a large bag of mixed items to a CS yesterday and they had a beautiful Welsh wool cape, it was in super condition and in a colour mix that would have suited me (although not my most favourite) priced at £15 which is more than reasonable for this area. I have wanted one for donkey's years, I stood and debated with myself how much space it would take up in the wardrobe (chalet bungalow, having to house both wardrobes in 1 bedroom 'cos of lack of ceiling height), how often I would wear it, and walked away without a backward glance, much progress has been made!
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 4th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    Lovely new skip was delivered today and I started to put some bits in. I started with a bag (to keep it together) of badly torn bubble wrap and a box (covered in tape) of those little green packing thingies that look like wotsits. It was a bit windy, but things were boxed and bagged and protected by the high sides of the empty skip.

Or so I thought...

Came home to find it had all been blown out of the skip and across the paddock. Poor DH spent an hour and 10 minutes picking (he says) 2000 odd green wotsits out of the grass and bramble... poor chap!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 11,901 Posts
    • 229,670 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oh dear, catshark, I must be a very bad person because I read that and nearly spat tea on the keyboard! You poor DH......! Good on him for rounding up all the little beggars, though.

Been to work and came home and picked up a donation bag (more books, quelle surprise) and took it off to a favoured chazzer. Had a natter with pals who work there and came home with a couple of bits & bobs.....

Kid bruv and our Dad took the car down to a particular chazzer's regional distribution centre and asked how many of the two big bags of books they could take? They were happy to take them all. The book avalanche in the parental homestead is thinning out and he sold 3 books today so they've gone off to new owners, too.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 4th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 23,148 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Afraid I laughed, too!

No KM here at the moment, I haven't yet finished taking down the Christmas decs and I am being invaded by a large number of items relating to a charity event I'm involved in. They will have to stay in my kitchen till I can pass them on in February, and it's already driving me mad as I can't easily sweep the floor or use the kitchen table, and more are arriving each day.

Then I remembered that before discovering KM this is how I lived normally - and it was just my Stuff everywhere, not these items! how I've changed.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 4th Jan 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    I’m far worse. I didn’t realise he was still in the garden picking them up, I thought he was in the office! Poor lad!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,876 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, everybody's doing so well. And I love Decluttering for the Apocalypse

I'm decluttering the border at the front of the house today - I can access it much more easily than usual because Storm Eleanor blew down most of the remaining fence ... I've got to do stuff like that quickly, to get on to things that are more fun. Will report back.
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 7,082 Posts
    • 72,171 Thanks
    greent
    Still packing up kitchen things - another 20 items gone today into CS box (mostly) or bin (a handful) One further item identified for fleabay and a handful of items identified that they should be used in future or really should go....

CS box is now to heavy for me to pick up!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 5th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    Christmas decs all put away, fitting beautifully into the new big and 2 v small crates.

Hopefully the wind will be lower next week and then I can play skips properly!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 11,901 Posts
    • 229,670 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Another bag of Stuff gone to the chazzer today, mostly books (it will be mostly books for some time as I brought a lot back from the homestead). The flock of bags is thinning out somewhat, although I think I could do with a herd dog to discipline them.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 5th Jan 18, 9:22 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,821 Thanks
    Siebrie
    We have spent 9 days at my parents!!!8217; for Christmas and New Year!!!8217;s. We had a great time, and did something special every day, on average spending !!!8364;20 (£17) per day for the 4 of us, so not bad. We took a bag of rags with us for proper disposal, and we brought lots of stationery back for donation to the local kindergarten. It came from my Aunt and Uncle, who are downsizing.

A church friend of my parents!!!8217; is also downsizing, and gave 2 boxes with books for us to !!!8216;dispose of as we see fit!!!8217; 7 came home with me (1 of which is already in the paper recycling !!!8216;all about exotic fruit and veg!!!8217;, such as courgette and broccoli ).

Looking forward to the end of the vacation, and normal routine to be reinstated.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 549.29 = £ 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 6th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 5,548 Posts
    • 45,432 Thanks
    Igamogam
    thought you might appreciate the humour (in amongst the social commentary horror and the tiny bit of swearing) of this article on 2018's hot decluttering trend, American apocalypse purging
    Originally posted by pavlovs_dog
    Now that made me laugh and a whole lot of sense......Thanks Pavlov! Gave me the incentive I needed to get going this cold morning
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    OH and I have spent the day doing paperwork. I've sorted 6 months of business expenses, he's done his tax return but can't submit it as the website is down. That has Kondoed the best part of Saturday.

Nice tea and bottle of wine required this evening I think.

We Kondoed the last of the Christmas cake with our lunch. Still got some pudding and eggnog to go. Plus cheese, lots and lots of cheese. Yum.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 11,901 Posts
    • 229,670 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Large bag of books have now gone to a more far-flung chazzer, one where I also have a gift-aid registration. Didn't want to burden my regular one with too many books all at once.

Two items of apparel have sneaked in at 50p each; office trews and what I'd class as jammie bottoms but which are apparently 'loungewear'. They're the most beautiful soft viscose and a shade which I particularly like, a very dark, almost sombre purple. Very pleased.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,038Posts Today

7,589Users online

Martin's Twitter