Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,925Posts
    • 24,317Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It's going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 04-05-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Mortgage: 8% paid Overpayments: 3908.56 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
Page 43
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 12th Aug 18, 2:10 PM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 14,945 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Wow! just Wow!

Fortune you are truly talented!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 12th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 5,731 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    gorgeous picture ,
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    December 2018 cc £5500, £5350, £3000
    Mortgage £115000
    £1700 on DD1s car cc
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 12th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Lovely painting FS, and congratulations on the competition!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,513 Thanks
    beanielou
    Painting is just awesome
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 7,597 Posts
    • 77,395 Thanks
    greent
    Just came on here to say that I saw the painting on fbook earlier - it's fabulous - very impressive. I always think that getting people 'right' is very hard.

You are very talented, FS xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7575.92/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £751.22/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    • 5,404 Posts
    • 32,157 Thanks
    in need of direction
    awesome well deserved win
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £71,743.47, target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £412.27 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £1,100/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Aug 18, 6:30 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 16,627 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Great picture. Especially people, (not that I can paint) but I always think that's so hard. Fabulous. Well done, lovely. Hope all is good in the shire.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 13th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 3,228 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Fabulous painting Fortune. You are so talented.
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 15th Aug 18, 10:04 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    cbsexec
    lovely painting - I saw it on facebook and just wanted to congratulate you.
    ps. love reading your diary
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 24,317 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Awh thanks guys - what a lovely, supportive bunch you are

I've decided to try and sell the painting on the Bay. The proper price should be the cost of my time and the materials so I'm going to try for that. It does seem a large amount but nothing ventured etc.

It's been a productive week so far. Mr F is off work so has been pottering around and getting through the jobs list. And the electrician has been here. We now have power and light in the barn Plus I can turn my kitchen and dining room lights off from either end of the room. This wasn't possible before as they'd been wired incorrectly. Electrician did a couple of extra bits for us and didn't charge for them. He's a nice chap and we're going to use him again. Probably for a full check of the house and the annex. He discovered a couple of things which hadn't been done properly and it's made me worry about the rest of the house

Yesterday was my WI's annual outing. We went to an organic farm for afternoon tea. There was a lot of food left over and we were allowed to take it home so Mr F got a few treats when I got back. I also picked up some Gloucester Old Spot bacon and sausages plus some duck eggs from the farm shop so he had a special holiday breakfast this morning too. I spoil him Costs were met from personal spends and the grocery budget.

We picked up the dog agility equipment this evening. Lovely lady with a lovely German Shepherd Dog. Huge but lovely. We have two hoops, four jumps, one long jump and a tunnel. Bargain She is only selling because they are moving and will have a smaller garden. Can't wait to set it up tomorrow and let FDawg have a look at it..

I am almost at the end of Week 4 of C25K - just one more run to do which I think I'll do tomorrow. I am now running more than walking, running 5 minutes without stopping and 16 minutes in total I'm very slow though. Mr F came out with me yesterday and he could walk faster than I was running At the end of Week 5 I'm expected to run for 20 minutes without stopping I've followed the programme exactly so far so I have to trust that 20 minutes will be within my capability. Mr F has been keeping up with me in terms of runs per week and has lost over half a stone! I have lost.... nothing, nada, nil. I'm hoping that I'll start to lose a little once I'm running for a longer time.

This evening's supper was Sri Lankan Runner Bean Curry to use up the last of the runner beans our neighbours gifted us. I cooked it for longer than stated to make a thicker sauce and the beans were still al dente. We like them like that but, if you like a softer bean, you'd need to cook them a bit before adding them to the sauce. It was surprisingly delicious and we have some left over for supper tomorrow

FDawg is back in his crate and seems far more relaxed as a result. There have been no accidents and he races into it when it's time for bed. It's obvious that he's happier when he has his little den to retire to. He even let us sleep until the alarm went off this morning. So the crate stays.

Mr F is still in the barn "tidying up" - I suspect he has beer in there

Thanks again for all the kind comments

Fortune x

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 30,182 Posts
    • 175,206 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wonderful to find a good electrician!

As far as your weight loss is concerned - remember that muscle weighs a lot, you might be putting some on
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • therocket
    • By therocket 16th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    therocket
    I always find it more useful to measure inches rather than weight FS. You may weigh the same but could look drastically different due to muscle being denser than fat. Dont be too concerned about weight

Concentrate on the other health benefits of being fitter - improved cardiac and lung function, greater concentration levels and the feeling of being stronger! All things you're bound to feel if you carry on with the exercise! You're putting me to shame and inspiring me to do more - keep it up!
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 20,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You eat so well that now you are starting to run the weight will decrease. Watching with interest and well done for doing it at all
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 24,317 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Wonderful to find a good electrician!

As far as your weight loss is concerned - remember that muscle weighs a lot, you might be putting some on
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    All I can say Karma is that I'm feeling very 'muscular' at the moment

I always find it more useful to measure inches rather than weight FS. You may weigh the same but could look drastically different due to muscle being denser than fat. Dont be too concerned about weight

Concentrate on the other health benefits of being fitter - improved cardiac and lung function, greater concentration levels and the feeling of being stronger! All things you're bound to feel if you carry on with the exercise! You're putting me to shame and inspiring me to do more - keep it up!
    Originally posted by therocket
    I definitely think my leg strength is improving Rocket and there seems to be a slight improvement in the way my clothes fit. I'm just not running fast enough or for long enough to see much of a difference yet. But that will come I'm sure. Especially as Week 5 ups the ante!

You eat so well that now you are starting to run the weight will decrease. Watching with interest and well done for doing it at all
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I eat well most of the time DIA but I do like a cake... and chocolate... and wine....

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 24,317 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Woman on the Run
    I completed Week 4 of C25K yesterday I can almost complete a circuit of the lanes around our house now

Picked up a prescription yesterday and, for the first time in years, the pharmacist asked to see my medical exemption card. It expired two months ago! Fortunately I didn't have to pay but I will have to drop into the surgery and complete a renewal form. Apparently there can be a £100 fine if your card has run out

Met up for lunch with one of the writing project team yesterday. We need to draft a document to send out so worked on the content. £20 spent which will come from personal spends. My meal was a bit lack-lustre though although my friends was very good. I just chose the wrong thing on the day I think.

Very glad I spent my Hou$£ of Fra$£r voucher when I did

Enjoy your weekend guys

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,513 Thanks
    beanielou
    Was hoping you hadent ordered from H of F online as all the orders have now been cancelled

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 24,317 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Was hoping you hadent ordered from H of F online as all the orders have now been cancelled
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I managed to get my order in just in time Beanie and it was delivered the next day.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 24,317 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Where's Karma when you need it?
    Well our good deed of letting Farmer Giles graze his calves in the bottom field has back fired. The bullocks in the next door field have taken down our entire boundary fence in an attempt to get through to them

I made one call and sent two texts to Farmer Giles to let him know and got no response - no advice, no offer of help. I got an immediate response when I said he'd have to move his stock out though I'm cross because he was supposed to put up an electric fence to stop this happening.

Farmer Jones, who owns the bullocks, was more helpful. He came with his wife to make some immediate repairs to the fence and has come up with a longer term solution. His cattle have taken the fence down but it was on it's last legs anyway. There is a covenant on our property which requires us to maintain the fence but we wouldn't have had to do anything this year if the bullocks hadn't taken it down. He has offered to put a new fence up if we buy the fence posts. It seems a reasonable way forward. Not that I'm happy about having to fork out for 30-40 fence posts

I'm expecting Karma to make amends for this injustice - a nice, big lottery win this weekend would do it

Other than that little drama, I have been busy getting the house clean and tidy for weekend visitors. DS2 and partner are coming to stay for a couple of nights.

So best get the duster out...

Fortune x

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 22nd Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    • 30,182 Posts
    • 175,206 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good grief, Fortune! Given my user name on here I'll see if I can send some Woo to the lottery gods and also to Farmer Jones
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,513 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey, that is not good.
    I would have found it quite scary.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,445Posts Today

6,973Users online

Martin's Twitter