Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,884Posts
    • 23,954Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It's going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 04-05-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Mortgage: 7% paid Overpayments: 2789.20 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
Page 42
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Current sainsbugs mag has a courgette feature that you can access for free on line.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Ooh - thanks INOD, I'll take a look.

Fortune x

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    rtandon27
    oooo - well done with your paintings Fortune
    1 YEAR & 11 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 29,849 Posts
    • 172,443 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations on the paintings, Fortune, thats great!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Aug 18, 7:42 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 18,384 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    A story published and now the painting? All very creative over at yours. Well done you
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    • 57,349 Posts
    • 234,729 Thanks
    beanielou
    WEll done
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 6th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5,264 Posts
    • 31,022 Thanks
    in need of direction
    All your successes and c2 5k too. Amazing
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £74,121.52, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £307.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £860/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Garden Party
    Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I've not done badly this month have I. The most important success though is C25K. I did Week 3, Day 2 this morning. It was a little harder after the weekend's indulgences but I can now run for 3 minutes. That won't sound much to any seasoned runners but it's a huge achievement for me. I'm improving all the time and it feels good to be looking after my health. My legs are getting stronger and I'm lighter on my feet already. I'm going to have to make some changes to my diet as well though - I tried three outfits on yesterday before I found one that looked ok.

My neighbours hosted a lovely party yesterday. They provided a proper feast and even had a separate vegetarian table. Dessert was courtesy of an ice cream van who came to the gate. He played his music right from the end of the lane so we could hear him coming And of course the weather was glorious.

There were lots of neighbours there, some of whom we already knew and some we didn't. New friends were made.

Not much else to report. A couple of Bay sales which I'll need to post today and the usual chores.

Happy Monday everyone

Fortune x
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 06-08-2018 at 9:22 AM.

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,515 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Excellent running Fortune! Glad you're enjoying it I'm only a few weeks ahead of you (did the last day of week 6 yesterday) and the build up is nice and slow so you should be fine (and if you don't feel ready, just repeat a week).

Mmmm, ice cream
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 6th Aug 18, 8:32 PM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    rtandon27
    mmmm - ice cream from the van - what a lovely summery treat!
    1 YEAR & 11 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 7th Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Excellent running Fortune! Glad you're enjoying it I'm only a few weeks ahead of you (did the last day of week 6 yesterday) and the build up is nice and slow so you should be fine (and if you don't feel ready, just repeat a week).

Mmmm, ice cream
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    I'm finding it just right so far Cheery. Just hard enough to see some improvement each time. Although I don't go very fast at all. I'm concentrating on getting up to distance and will work on speeding up after that.

mmmm - ice cream from the van - what a lovely summery treat!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    A double cornet with a flake and some sprinkles. We all felt like children again queuing up to get our ice creams

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 7th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    In an English Country Garden
    Yesterday turned into a gardening day. I pruned the raspberries - which may be the first time I've pruned anything at the correct time , weeded all the pots and hoed the veg patch. Took me all afternoon The courgettes are still doing well and I have flowers on the butternut squash and some tiny fruit developing

I did get time to pop in for a cuppa with lodger friend though. Had to tell her we didn't want the cats here. I think she was expecting it and I've promised to help her find a foster home for them.

Yesterday's lunch was Halloumi & Roasted Pepper Wraps. Supper was Pea, Courgette & Parmesan Soup as we had three more courgettes in the veg patch that needed eating up.

We had some heating oil delivered yesterday. I'd been waiting for the usual Summer dip in prices but that hasn't arrived. I'm sure that prices will start going up again towards the end of the year when demand increases so thought I'd better bite the bullet and get some now. We have about half a tank full now but I may get another 500 litres before the Winter just in case we have a bad one again. Seems odd to be thinking about Winter when it's such a glorious day today again. The forecast is for good weather up to October I think. I hope so as I was a bit late getting the sweetcorn in and it's got a long way to grow

Today I need to catch up on some housework and ironing. Mr F may be off on a business trip over the weekend so clean, pressed shirts are needed. I also need to get to the Po$t Offic£ as I didn't manage it yesterday.

Hope the sun is shining on you

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Aug 18, 3:59 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Bottom of the pile
    Can't quite believe it but I got to the bottom of the ironing pile yesterday I think that's the first time since we moved in There is more ironing developing on the line though so the basket won't be empty for long.

I posted the Bay items so a little more cash has found it's way to the bank account. Any extra we get is going into savings to pay for the new gate, except Tilly Tidies which are being OP'd

Today I have given the kitchen a thorough clean and swopped the contents of two cupboards. I thought it would be practical to have the 'tea' cupboard next to the back door so Mr F could get to it easily without traipsing mud through the whole house. However, that area is where shoes and hats seem to congregate so there is little room for tea making. Now Mr F has electrickery in the barn he can make tea in there so I have moved the tea cupboard a little further in. I've just the kitchen floor to wash now but the grocery shop will be arriving soon and FDawg is starting a new routine today so I think I'll wait until this evening.

FDawg is going back into his crate tonight He was fine roaming the house overnight for a while but has now started leaving me little presents I think this is for a variety of reasons. When we were teaching FDawg to go to bed on command, we rewarded him with a cocktail sausage. He is now so keen to get his sausage that I think he is skipping his ablutions. It may be that his meal or walk times need changing so we'll try something different today. Or it may be that he doesn't see all of the house as 'living space'. He's also a sensitive soul and may be getting anxious in the dark without us. He does love his crate and it is a calm, safe place for him but it seems like a backward step.

I'm not sure I should talk about food after that revelation Anyhoo, lunch was beans on cheese on toast and supper will be Oven Baked Leek & Bacon Risotto.

Right. Best get on. Mr F has a very early start tomorrow so we don't want to be up late tonight.

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 18,384 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Little presents

The crate will help him feel safe again

Enjoy your weekend.
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Aug 18, 8:10 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Little presents

The crate will help him feel safe again

Enjoy your weekend.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I know

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 57,349 Posts
    • 234,729 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you got the House of Fraser vouchers spent just in the nick of time
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Spendy
    The last couple of days have been mainly spent sorting out dates and paperwork. It's easier to concentrate when Mr F is away

I have finished Week 3 of C25K. I slipped in an extra rest day as my upper chest had become very sore. It's funny the muscles you use when running - I have had aches in unexpected places Week 4 starts tomorrow and I think it includes 5 minute runs

I have run out of a couple of bits of makeup so used a Hou£$ of Fra£$r voucher against the cost of an eyeshadow (just in time it seems) and went through T0p Ca$h B@ck for an eyebrow pencil. It's also DS2 and DiL's 2nd year anniversary next week so I sent them a card using a M00npig voucher and a set of tea towels with hearts on as 2 years is 'cotton'.

FDawg is running out of a couple of his favourite snacks so I've ordered some of those for him. Also found a large set of dog agility equipment on FB Mark£tplac£ for £30 which I'll be picking up on Wednesday. I've wanted to get some for ages but even the cheapest seemed so expensive. It will be great to teach him some new things. He can now go and touch items I put on the ground and point to And if it's a towel or mat he knows to go to it and lie down Clever pup. Although he's not an angel yet - there was another present waiting for me this morning I thought I'd try changing his food schedule before getting his crate out to see if that helped. Sadly not so his crate is up in the kitchen again. He always used to tell us if he needed to go out during the night. However, we've spent a lot of time teaching him to stay quiet when we're sleeping so we've probably confused the poor thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get some sleep tonight.

Reading back through this post there does seem to be a lot of spending going on. However, it's all on the needs/wants list, considered and researched so I'm relaxed about that.

Off to have a sneaky hot chocolate before bed.

Night all

Fortune x
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 11-08-2018 at 9:19 PM.

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Aug 18, 10:01 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Glad that you got the House of Fraser vouchers spent just in the nick of time
    Originally posted by beanielou
    It's likely that the vouchers will still continue to be honoured but I wasn't taking any chances Beanie

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,954 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sneaky Peek
    If anyone would like a peek at the painting I did for the WI show entry, you can find it here...

https://www.facebook.com/BeeGardenArt/

If you want to see any further paintings I do you can like the page. It won't identify you as an MSE poster.

Fortune x

• julicorn
    • By julicorn 12th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    julicorn
    If anyone would like a peek at the painting I did for the WI show entry, you can find it here...

https://www.facebook.com/BeeGardenArt/

If you want to see any further paintings I do you can like the page. It won't identify you as an MSE poster.

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Wow, these are amazing! So many of your paintings have this really great sense of movement, even if they show something fairly static. I'm super impressed
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Current: £189,600
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    • 29,849 Posts
    • 172,443 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Amazing! Really intricate
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

9,509Users online

Martin's Twitter