Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,827Posts
    • 23,390Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It's going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 04-05-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Mortgage: 6% paid Overpayments: 1098.49 Emergency Fund: 61%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 32
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Maybe a good idea on more dog training for Fdawg.
    Enjoy the sunshine
    Originally posted by beanielou
    He's a very good boy most of the time Beanie but he's still young and could do with a bit of help.

Hope the sunshine reached your way too.

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 55,533 Posts
    • 222,983 Thanks
    beanielou
    He's a very good boy most of the time Beanie but he's still young and could do with a bit of help.

Hope the sunshine reached your way too.

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    It did thanks
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The sun is shining in the sky...
    ... there aint a cloud in sight.

What a beautiful day. As predicted, washing was hung out and weeds were pulled out.

I think I've weeded about half of the big bed now There are lots of shrubs and perennial plants coming up so we should have lots of colour by Summer. There isn't much colour at the moment though so I shall have to have a think about how to remedy that. A highlight today was finding a hen blackbird nesting in the climbing hydrangea by the kitchen door. I could see her peeking at me through the leaves

FDawg has been running about the fields all day - he just doesn't stop. I hope that means he'll sleep through the night but I worry about his weight. He's a skinny thing even though we're feeding him loads. He can't afford to burn up too many calories.

I'm hoping that all this dog walking and gardening will make me a skinny thing too My weeding stamina is definitely improving. And all the time I'm weeding, I'm not spending so I suppose it counts as money saving

Tonight's supper was Jamie's Courgette Carbonara Quick and easy after a day's hard graft.

Happy Sunday all

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 55,533 Posts
    • 222,983 Thanks
    beanielou
    Your tea looks lush

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Your tea looks lush
    It's a favourite recipe Beanie and I think it tasted better because we ate outside this evening.

Fortune x

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 7th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Sounds a delightful weekend...enjoy..I will be trying that recipe, thanks for the recommendation and yes to late suppers for wakeful dogs!!

X
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29% May 25% June] 2018 Income Goal 76/750 July Goals: AFDs 18/25; Declutter 60 items 40/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 08/30 12k steps per day please Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 7th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sounds a delightful weekend...enjoy..I will be trying that recipe, thanks for the recommendation and yes to late suppers for wakeful dogs!!

X
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    A productive weekend Brizzle but it's getting a bit repetitive now. Oh for an ice cold G&T relaxing in a beer garden somewhere

Fortune x

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 29,469 Posts
    • 169,200 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Your gardening sounds like its going really well, Fortune. And I'm sure you don't need to worry about FDawg running himself skinny - he's not going to self harm in that way, he'll just be skinny for a while. He's got you to look after him now

Have a wonderful day today
    Retired August 2016
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 16,495 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Like you I've been weeding but I am useless with sunshine so I will do my next batch when the sun wanes. Happy gardening
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 7th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Your gardening sounds like its going really well, Fortune. And I'm sure you don't need to worry about FDawg running himself skinny - he's not going to self harm in that way, he'll just be skinny for a while. He's got you to look after him now

Have a wonderful day today
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    We're getting there with the garden Karma. FDawg finally gave in today and lay in the shade from time to time.

Like you I've been weeding but I am useless with sunshine so I will do my next batch when the sun wanes. Happy gardening
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    The back of my neck is a bit pink today DIA but I think I've escaped any serious damage. Weeding continues although I've delayed pulling up some things just in case they are actually flowers I don't know the difference yet.

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 55,533 Posts
    • 222,983 Thanks
    beanielou
    The back of my neck is pink too!
    Did a spot of weeding too & left some that I cant decide if they were flowers or weeds

***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The back of my neck is pink too!
    Did a spot of weeding too & left some that I cant decide if they were flowers or weeds
    Hope you're not too sore Beanie. I've been happily pulling up Welsh Poppies thinking they were weeds. Fortunately I Googled before doing too much damage.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Mission Slim Possible continues
    Many calories were burnt yesterday We had a morning sorting out stuff in the annex and managed to do away with about ten boxes. It's clear enough in there now to start the cleaning.

The afternoon was spent outside. Mr F repaired some pointing on the outside of the house and annex and I tackled the veg patch. I re-weeded the raised bed just to keep on top of it and dug a further bed which now has two little courgette plants in. They look a bit lonely at the moment but I have plans to get them some friends Amongst all the wood we removed from the old barn I found several narrow lengths of shiplap which we've put down as paths between the veg beds Mr F helped me to move an old belfast sink in and I've filled it with compost from the enormous poo pile that lives at the back of the barn, given it a sprinkling of top soil and it's now ready for planting with salad leaves. I'm happy that we'll be able to grow something this year now even if we don't utilise the whole plot.

Being busy meant that there was no time to spend any money However, Mr F has managed to break the hose so money may be spent today

We had a quick cheese sandwich for lunch and Macaroni Cheese with Cauliflower & Broccoli for supper. I made my own chilli and coriander crust though. We've been a bit heavy on the cheese and pasta these last couple of days but it's just what we fancied.

My last cold which was dragging on and on has now turned into a horrid cough I would be starting to worry about these ongoing bugs but Mr F gave me this one and he's struggling to shake it too. He's gone back to bed this morning What is going on? Is the long hard winter responsible or do they just breed a tougher strain of bug in The Shire. Perhaps it's all the stress of last year running me down. Anyhoo, I'm refusing to lose any more of my life to illness this year so will soldier on but perhaps on slightly lighter duties than I'd planned. I have the joy of kitchen cleaning in the house today but think I'll leave kitchen cleaning in the annex tomorrow.

Hope the week is going well

Fortune x

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 8,220 Posts
    • 40,843 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, hooray for plants! I have a few seedlings on the go but nowhere to put them yet Got a man coming round to sell me a scythe (and show me how to use it ) this week and after that I should be able to tame some wayward grass and get making some veg beds. Need to plant some more seeds too. So many things to do!
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Ooh, hooray for plants! I have a few seedlings on the go but nowhere to put them yet Got a man coming round to sell me a scythe (and show me how to use it ) this week and after that I should be able to tame some wayward grass and get making some veg beds. Need to plant some more seeds too. So many things to do!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Plenty of room for your seedlings here Cheery Lots of things to do here too but I'm trying to be realistic about what I can achieve at the moment. We have the Annex to get ready too so I need to split my team between there, the house and the garden. If only I had a couple of clones

Good luck with the sythe

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 55,533 Posts
    • 222,983 Thanks
    beanielou
    When are you having your renter Fortune?

***Keep plodding***
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th May 18, 7:04 AM
    • 8,220 Posts
    • 40,843 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I know what you mean about needing clones my current strategy is to be guided by the weather - if it's nice, outside jobs win. If no, do inside things saves me trying to figure out wjich is more important
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    When are you having your renter Fortune?
    End of June Beanie - I'd better get a wriggle on in the annex

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I know what you mean about needing clones my current strategy is to be guided by the weather - if it's nice, outside jobs win. If no, do inside things saves me trying to figure out wjich is more important
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Good plan Cheery - I'm doing the same to a certain extent but I'm on a deadline for getting the annex sorted so that will have to take precedence.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 23,390 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Not to plan
    Well the day didn't go to plan as I started to flag quite early. I did a quick tidy up of the house and spent the rest of the day doing paperwork.

MS progress:
    • we have upped Mr F's pension contribution from 3% to 8%. It's salary sacrifice and his employer will match the contribution so it's easily the most cost and tax effective way to save. It will cost us an extra 100 a month but, as Mr F is already at the minimum retirement age, I'm looking at it as accessible savings
    • went on line to update Mr F's tax details taking into account the higher pension contribution. I love that we can make these changes ourselves now. It saves the telephone queue time and has significantly reduced the human error rate to zero
    • I reconciled the bank accounts and everything balances
    • can't make head nor tail of Mr F's expenses this month though. We'll have to go through them together later
    • did the grocery shopping and came in a little over budget this time. There were a couple of high cost items required in this shop so I think things will balance out next week
    • some chalk paint has been delivered this morning which means I can start upcycling my recent bargain buys this weekend

Right. On with the plan - kitchen cleaning is calling

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,804Posts Today

9,343Users online

Martin's Twitter