Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,733Posts
    • 22,665Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It!!!8217;s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 3.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 100% Emergency Fund: 58%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 30
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Ribbit
    Today has been a day for swallowing frogs:

Sorted Mr F's tax out. He'd received a new tax code which is incorrect of course. Managed to do everything on line though which is sooooo much better than trying to get through on the 'phone. I may have to make some further changes as Mr F is thinking about increasing his pension contributions.

Chased up FDawg's food and it arrived at lunchtime. Thank goodness. We've been feeding him on some of his old food in the meantime and it makes a noticeable difference to his behaviour. He's like a toddler on a sugar high

Versatile veg soup for lunch. One of my favourite recipes for using up stuff - it was sweet potatoes and carrots this time.

Went through the annex to see what's going to be needed to get it ready for renting. We negotiated for it to be left furnished as part of the purchase of the house. However, most of what's there is shabby and not in the chic way Some spending will be required but I'm going to try to be smart about it. I sorted out four or five boxes to take to the charity shop and listed ten items on the Bay.

We had Goan Prawn Curry for supper but with rice rather than naan. There is plenty of Curry and Soup leftover to feed us tomorrow so I won't have to cook

Feels like progress

Happy Thursday everyone

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 52,832 Posts
    • 207,773 Thanks
    beanielou
    Progress indeed.
    Well done on the ebaying
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Progress indeed.
    Well done on the ebaying
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie - let's hope I get some sales.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Oops
    Might have overdone it a bit yesterday as I've no energy at all today. Must remember to pace myself.

Another telephone call to B00t$ and the contact lens situation may now be sorted, although there will still be a bit of faffing required when I go for my next test.

Finally managed to get hold of the builder to sort out final payments and a couple of snagging issues.

Did some thinking and some research on what's needed in the annex. I had a figure in mind for a budget and I think I can still meet that but some of the white goods are going to need replacing so it'll be tight.

I think we should give the place it's own name too so it would be fab to hear any ideas you guys have. We live in a converted cow shed that was built about 100 years ago. The annex was built around the same time and is detached from our house but attached to our neighbour's property. It was probably used for farm storage or as a stock shed then but is now a self-contained one bedroom cottage. I think it is quite a pretty little building with some age and character. We'd like to call it something which relates to its history or setting. The area has a long history of agriculture and has lots of canals. There was also a battle here long, long ago. Put your thinking caps on.

Have a great weekend peeps.

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    No idea on names, but a slightly odd set up for the annexe to be your property, but attached to the neighbour's house. Has it always been part of your property?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1400ish/£2,500
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 13th Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 4,214 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    What about 'the byre'? We have an annex which we currently rent out as a holiday let. Ours is named after a Greek sea. We live in a totally landlocked county
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £16208 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 14th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    The Byre sounds nice, or The Cow Shed or Dairy Cottage.......or you could could go for something totally unrelated to cows that would give you a bit of a theme and an opportunity for one of your paintings ....Bumble Bee Cottage
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    No idea on names, but a slightly odd set up for the annexe to be your property, but attached to the neighbour's house. Has it always been part of your property?
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    The farm next door used to own all of the land and buildings in the area but as the farmer got older they sold parts off. There is a small barn attached to the farmhouse and it's half of that which got parceled up with the cow shed that is now our house. It made sense to divide up the small barn because of the layout of the buildings.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    What about 'the byre'? We have an annex which we currently rent out as a holiday let. Ours is named after a Greek sea. We live in a totally landlocked county
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    The Byre sounds nice, or The Cow Shed or Dairy Cottage.......or you could could go for something totally unrelated to cows that would give you a bit of a theme and an opportunity for one of your paintings ....Bumble Bee Cottage
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Names like 'The Byre' and 'Dairy Cottage' would be absolutely relevant, however, there are a lot of properties with those names on the letting sites. I think we need something a little quirkier, something that will catch the eye and intrigue. Maybe we should look at Greek Seas too Step Or perhaps a nature connection would work Busy Mee, there is a lot of wildlife around here and I've been researching the local names for the birds and animals we've seen. I know Dumbledore is an old name for Bumblebee but that's too well connected with Harry P0tt£r now. Humblebee perhaps? We've had Long Tailed Tits in our garden and a local name for them is Barrelbum Would anyone want to stay in Barrelbum Cottage? Could be worse, some wading birds were often called Ar$£foot

Fortune x

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 14th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Barrelbum Cottage would be great! You could even paint one of the birds and frame it and have it hanging next to the front door so it's easy to point out to guests!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £219.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Summer!
    I think Summer has arrived in The Shire - at precisely 2.00 pm yesterday It was suddenly an English Summer's day

I hadn't realised this unexpected arrival so spent most of the day inside sorting out admin type stuff. I did take FDawg out for a long walk though so we both got a good dose of Vitamin D.

I'm meeting my friend/lodger on Monday for lunch so we can talk though the practicalities of her moving into the Annex. I did all the research and preparation yesterday and think I've got everything covered.

I also did some research and sent out the agenda for the next Writer's Group project which I'm hosting on Friday.

Not much else achieved other than the usual everyday chores because... I've discovered seven series of The Great British Bake Off on Netflix You may not see me for some time

Have a great Sunday folks. The sun has disappeared again but I hear it's coming back tomorrow

Fortune x

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    • 28,994 Posts
    • 165,021 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds wonderful, FS! I've seen some of those older series of Bake Off (new to me because I only recently got into it ) it's fascinating!
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 6,919 Posts
    • 70,787 Thanks
    greent
    I love the name Barrelbum Cottage!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £577.06/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £362.51/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £12808.40/£18694.38
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 46,474 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I really like the idea of 'olde English' words as use for naming houses etc. On the LTT - bird idea, I'd like to vote for a couple of other names (apart from barrel bum), the names I'd like to propose are 'Mumruffin' Cottage and 'Jack-in-a-bottle' Cottage. I think you said the cottage was small - hence why the second choice appeals to me for some reason.

Feel QUITE free to ignore

I have no doubt you will come up with summat quite, quite creative, and adorn the walls suitably - have you ever painted cows?

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 52,832 Posts
    • 207,773 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope meeting goes well.
    I hadent realised you were going to rent quite so soon.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th Apr 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sounds wonderful, FS! I've seen some of those older series of Bake Off (new to me because I only recently got into it ) it's fascinating!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Love, love, love Bake Off - just got to Series 4

I love the name Barrelbum Cottage!
    Originally posted by greent
    I like it too Greent - but my friend who'll be living there didn't like the idea of being the Barrelbum

I really like the idea of 'olde English' words as use for naming houses etc. On the LTT - bird idea, I'd like to vote for a couple of other names (apart from barrel bum), the names I'd like to propose are 'Mumruffin' Cottage and 'Jack-in-a-bottle' Cottage. I think you said the cottage was small - hence why the second choice appeals to me for some reason.

Feel QUITE free to ignore

I have no doubt you will come up with summat quite, quite creative, and adorn the walls suitably - have you ever painted cows?

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    I like Mumruffin Greying - there's also Broc, Wink-a-puss and Hotchi-witchi to consider

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hope meeting goes well.
    I hadent realised you were going to rent quite so soon.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    If it wasn't for my friend needing to move I'd probably be dragging my feet about it Beanie. Any money we make is destined for mortgage OPs so better sooner than later.

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 52,832 Posts
    • 207,773 Thanks
    beanielou
    If it wasn't for my friend needing to move I'd probably be dragging my feet about it Beanie. Any money we make is destined for mortgage OPs so better sooner than later.

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    All good then

***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,665 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Out and about
    Had a lovely lunch out with my friend today - chic venue, fabulous food and a good catch up all for £10. We talked through the Cottage practicalities and agreed everything that needed to be agreed.

I bought some treats for FDawg whilst I was out - he is so spoilt And I bought some treats for myself too - two new tops for everyday and one for going out. I've worn out some old favourites so have been on the look out for some good value replacements.

So not a frugal day but a very welcome indulgent one after my weeks of confinement

Hope you've had a great start to the week

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 52,832 Posts
    • 207,773 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lunch & venue sound fab.
    Glad that you enjoyed

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,020Posts Today

8,705Users online

Martin's Twitter