Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,733Posts
    • 22,649Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It!!!8217;s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 3.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 100% Emergency Fund: 58%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 29
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,959 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well you will have the rug longer............
    Sun does sound good at the moment though
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 4th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Steps in the right direction
    I am up and showered and dressed today which is a significant improvement on the last two days. I even managed to put a couple of washes on and do an hour of ironing Although I haven't made much of a dent in either laundry pile. Still, moving in the right direction.

We had baked potatoes with beans and cheese for lunch and Salmon with Creamy Leeks & Potatoes for supper. There is still some Easter food leftover from the weekend so we indulged and had a meringue nest with fruit and cream for afters. Not a super healthy meal day but at least there was some fruit and veg in the mix.

The food shop was delivered today and came in under budget However, a few other household items were needed from Amaz0n so I think we hit budget overall.

Another early night for me tonight I think, I need my beauty sleep at the moment. Mr F needs some too - apparently I've been snoring the past two nights

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 4th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Well you will have the rug longer............
    Sun does sound good at the moment though
    Originally posted by beanielou
    That's true Beanie

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 4th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Smooth Criminal
    FDawg may have a criminal record. Every time he hears a police siren on the television he runs out of the room

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,959 Thanks
    beanielou
    FDawg may have a criminal record. Every time he hears a police siren on the television he runs out of the room

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 4th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Glad youre getting back to normal FS.. chuckled at the idea of FDawg scampering every time he hears a siren..
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [25.2% March ] Income Goal £45/£750 April Goals: AFDs 10/15; Declutter 60 items 03/60; LSDs 04/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 10/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 28,973 Posts
    • 164,817 Thanks
    Karmacat

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    I love it
    Retired August 2016
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    One mountain down
    The washing mountain has been conquered I have a couple of washes to put on tomorrow but I've broken the back of it. The ironing mountain, however, is another matter I did an hour today but I've hardly made a dent. Still one stone at a time eh

I must be on the mend now because Mr F said I didn't snore last night And I think I am getting some energy back. Two walks with FDawg today

A couple of frogs were swallowed. Called Dy$0n about a failed battery in my cordless vacuum - it's just under a year old They are sending a new one out to me free of charge under the guarantee. Very impressive customer service. I also called B00t$ about my contact lens plan. I've tried to reduce the monthly order three times in the past without success. In the end I had to suspend the order for six months with the agreement that the monthly order after that would be reduced. Guess what? The direct debit has started up again at the original cost. Customer Services assure me that it's all sorted now but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm focussing on diet and exercise to try and get my health back on track. I'm drinking water only (did I mentioned I gave up coffee when I had pneumonia?) and I don't like tea so it's no hardship. And I'm back to proper cooking - lunch today was Sweet Potato Soup topped with Halloumi and Seeds and our Masala Meatball Curry supper is bubbling on the stove as I type. I cheated and used bought meatballs though.

The last six weeks have made me realise that I need to put much more effort into staying healthy than I have been. So, early night for me again folks. Can you see my halo shining

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,959 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, your halo is indeed shining
    Hope the contact lenses saga is sorted out once & for all.

***Keep plodding***
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 5th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Glad to hear you're on the mend Fortune! Don't strain yourself too much with the ironing mountain though. Shame you can't train FDawg to do a bit!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £219.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 7,004 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Glad to hear you are feeling better Fortune.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Apr 18, 9:45 AM
    • 28,973 Posts
    • 164,817 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Loving the halo, and the flattening of one mountain - actually, with the phone calls you did, I'd call that at least two mountains

Carry on getting better
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,959 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you are having a nice weekend

***Keep plodding***
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Apr 18, 7:20 AM
    • 6,909 Posts
    • 70,692 Thanks
    greent
    Lovely to hear that you are feeling better x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £577.06/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £362.51/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £12808.40/£18694.38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 8th Apr 18, 7:23 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 2,559 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Glad you are looking after yourself Fortune, you will hopefully be fire on all cylinders again soon. I was ill at beginning of Feb and have only just stopped coughing in the last couple of weeks. It is only now that I feel better that I realise how unwell I was feeling....take care x
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Yes, your halo is indeed shining
    Hope the contact lenses saga is sorted out once & for all.
    Managed to keep the halo shining Beanie - first time for everything

Glad to hear you're on the mend Fortune! Don't strain yourself too much with the ironing mountain though. Shame you can't train FDawg to do a bit!
    Originally posted by VintageHistorian
    Wouldn't it be fabulous if FDawg could be trained to do housework VH

Glad to hear you are feeling better Fortune.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Getting there ETE, getting there.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Loving the halo, and the flattening of one mountain - actually, with the phone calls you did, I'd call that at least two mountains

Carry on getting better
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thank you Karma. I don't mind making the calls but it does make me mad if the service is poor. Oh! That's just reminded me - need to call HMRC today

Hope you are having a nice weekend
    That's Beanie. I'm not back to full capacity but slowly improving.

Lovely to hear that you are feeling better x
    Originally posted by greent
    I am so fed up of being ill GreenT - when I'm properly better I shall be filling every minute with stuff just because I can

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Glad you are looking after yourself Fortune, you will hopefully be fire on all cylinders again soon. I was ill at beginning of Feb and have only just stopped coughing in the last couple of weeks. It is only now that I feel better that I realise how unwell I was feeling....take care x
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Isn't it dull Busy Mee. I cope better when I'm very poorly because all motivation to do anything goes. It's when I'm on the mend that I struggle. I want to do things but don't have the energy - very frustrating. Although I suppose it is a sign that I'm recovering so positive in a way.

Hope you're back to full strength soon.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 22,649 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Snails pace
    I'm still not 100% well I am getting better but it's slow progress.

I have managed to get a better handle on the housework this week though and feel a little more in control.

Money has been spent since my last post. The rug arrived and I'm very happy with it. It's a perfect fit and makes the dining room look bigger somehow and definitely more cosy. We have also bought tickets to a concert in the summer. Mr F was very keen to go and as they came up on his birthday I couldn't refuse

We are a bit overstretched as a result so I need to bolster the coffers. Today, therefore, is a Bay Day. I will be investigating the annex to see what else can go.

The new Dy$on battery turned up An order for FDawg's food I made has not It's been out for delivery with UP$ for the last three days If it doesn't turn up today I will have to cancel the order.

A little has been saved on this week's grocery order. I am buying flowers with my groceries each week now. I have never bought myself flowers in the past and have always thought it was a bit of an indulgence. However, this house really benefits from a few blooms about the place. They brighten things up in this dreary weather and it makes me happy to see them. I'm just buying whatever is in season and cheapest but I love the difference they make. I'm going to pick up some house plants too. There was never really any room for them at the old place but we have nice wide windowsills here.

Time to go make some money.

Have a great day

Fortune x

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 28,637 Thanks
    in need of direction
    looks like a good investment in the flowers
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £76,508.97, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £207.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin