Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,767Posts
    • 22,906Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It's going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 04-05-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Mortgage: 5% paid Overpayments: 592.38 Emergency Fund: 61%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 26
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 22,906 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    A hundred steps back...
    I felt so much better yesterday and pottered around doing a little tidying. Had a good long shower and made myself some healthy meals. Then, just as I was getting ready to take FDawg out for his evening walk I coughed and something in my ribs popped

It hurt but not anymore than usual so I carried on and just took some strong painkillers before going to bed. Work up at midnight in absolute agony Fortunately we have some prescription pain killers and anti-inflammatories in the house from when Mr F's back went out. So I've been taking those and feel slighty better this morning. Think I might have cracked a rib

I've called a friend who is coming over for the day to keep an eye on me and to walk FDawg. I'm going to monitor things before deciding whether a doctor's appointment is necessary. There's nothing that can be done for torn intercostals or broken ribs apart from pain relief so, unless there are complications, a doctor's visit won't help.

Meh

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 6,115 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Oh no Fortune, what a trauma, but I'm pleased you've got people coming to help you.

Rest up,
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,222 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sending you lots of positive vibes.
    Having had cracked ribs I know how sore it is
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 12th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,877 Thanks
    selloptape
    Ouch!!! Hope you!!!8217;re feeling better soon
    GC May £78.51/£290 GC April £240.65/£300March £322.53/£350
    £2 Savers Club #59 £58
    MFW 2018 #49 £600/£3,000
    MFiT T4 #21 - reduce mortgage by £20k over 3 years
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 22,906 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Not quite as bad as I thought
    Thank you lovely peeps. It looks as though the pop was muscular rather than skeletal so things are not quite as bad as they could have been. The intense pain I had on Sunday night must have been the muscle going into spasm but a couple of days of anti-inflammatories and rest have seen off the worst now I think.

Friend walked FDawg twice for me yesterday and my lovely neighbours delivered a recovery package of painkillers, soup, yoghurt and daffodils

I've been able to walk FDawg myself today and we ran into some of his doggy chums for the first time in ages so he is a happy puppy.

I had to throw some food away whilst I was ill. Mainly salad and milk. Largely because my meal plan went out the window and I had no appetite. I hate having to do that though so today I investigated the fridge and menu planned to use up anything sulky. I have Jami£ Oliv£r's Baked Cod with Avocado in the oven as I type Not sure how the avocado survived this long but it was just about salvegeable and I thought it would be ok if cooked. One lonely cod fillet from the freezer put to good use

I did a smallish on-line grocery shop to bolster existing supplies so came in about £30 under budget for this week.

Tomorrow I shall try and get some washing done. The laundry baskets are overflowing and Mr F will be back from a two week business trip with more on Friday.

I know I still need to take it easy and I particularly want to avoid doing any more damage to my muscles. However, recovery time is looking a little more positive now.

And there was a little sunshine today

Hope the sun was shining on you too

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,222 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take care.
    Sunshine is always good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 29,165 Posts
    • 166,408 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi Fortune okay, that's better news, that was a scary time, I should think! Avoiding muscle damage is a *very* good plan.
    Retired August 2016
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 22,906 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Take care.
    Sunshine is always good
    Originally posted by beanielou
    It makes such a difference doesn't it Beanie. Shame there hasn't been more of it recently.

Hi Fortune okay, that's better news, that was a scary time, I should think! Avoiding muscle damage is a *very* good plan.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    It was a bit scary Karma - I am very pleased to be on the mend.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 22,906 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Fortune Smiles
    At last I can feel my health returning Time to take stock:

Make and Save Pennies
    • I've been setting aside my Tilly Tidies to pay against the mortgage when I reach the minimum amount allowed
    • the last payment towards DS1's house desposit has been made
    • the emergency fund has gone down a little due to some unexpected extra costs on the barn work
    • there is a little in the budget for furnishings this month
    • I was approached by my bank about possible compensation due to me under the Plevin rule so I claimed and now have a cheque for £500 to pay in That will help bolster the emergency fund
    • Mark$ & $pencer sent me a £10 voucher for socks for my birthday this month Very timely as I've worn holes in about four pairs of my old ones and had to throw them out. I've ordered a pack of five
    • I've menu planned for the week and shouldn't have to throw out any more food
    • the fun money for this month is in tact as I haven't been having any fun

Stay Well

• I did manage to take FDawg for his full walk this morning
    • and I've had a proper lunch of baked eggs in avocado with diced pancetta, cherry tomatoes and cheese. That sounds so gourmet but it was thrown together to use up sulky veg.

Have Fun

I do have a couple of things to look forward to though:
    • a colleague of Mr F's who lives locally has invited us to go out for dinner the weekend after this one
    • all the kids are coming to stay for Easter
    • I have lots of people to catch up with.

I'm going to concentrate on essentials chores for the rest of this week. Then hopefully I can get back to Baying and progressing the big goals next week.

Keep your fingers crossed for me

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,222 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new socks
    Great news on the 500 quid.

***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 28,743 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I too got the m&s voucher. I did wonder what socks would cost £10. It hadn't occurred to me to buy a multipack
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,897.72, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £227.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 13,834 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Aww Fortune so glad to hear you are on the mend! Take it slow & steady until you reach 100%

Multi-packs always bring back fond memories of my Gran who would gift each of us with a pack of socks and a pack of underwear every xmas.
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 22,906 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Happy new socks
    Great news on the 500 quid.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie. I thought it was great that the bank contacted me - I wouldn't have thought to claim otherwise.

I too got the m&s voucher. I did wonder what socks would cost £10. It hadn't occurred to me to buy a multipack
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Isn't it brilliant INOD - I was in desperate need of some new socks.

Aww Fortune so glad to hear you are on the mend! Take it slow & steady until you reach 100%

Multi-packs always bring back fond memories of my Gran who would gift each of us with a pack of socks and a pack of underwear every xmas.
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    If I'm doing stockings for Christmas I often buy the multi-packs and split them. Socks, bubble bath, perfume, etc. I know it's a bit of a cliche to buy socks for Christmas presents but, hey, who doesn't need socks?

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 22,906 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Cat Amongst the Pigeons
    I have kicked off... big style

Contacted DIL 2 yesterday to get times for the Easter visit. They now want to come for the Friday and leave on the Saturday so they can spend the Sunday with her family We are always playing second fiddle to her family.

Contacted DS1. They aren't coming at all because they want to do something else

I am fuming

We booked the weekend 3 months ago planning to spend Easter together. It's also Mr F's birthday on the Monday so I was planning a day out to celebrate. He's going to be so disappointed.

Once upon a time I would have kept quiet so as not to upset Mr F but I'm done with that. I've given them what for. They are all feeling very affronted and can't see what they've done wrong But it's inconsiderate, disrespectful, hurtful and rude and I'm not keeping quiet about it this time. I've cancelled the whole thing.

Mr F doesn't know yet as I didn't want him to dwell on it on the journey home

On the up side it should save us some money. Although I think I'll look at a couple of treats for the two of us.

Grrrrrrrrr

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,222 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blooming families.

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,222 Thanks
    beanielou
    Always interesting to know where you lie in the pecking order I think

***Keep plodding***
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 6,115 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Oh Fortune, I'm so sad for you. Is one of these children the one you've been putting money aside monthly to help with buying a house?

I know you don't do it so they will come and visit, but if this was sorted at Christmas, and they know you've been so unwell they need to get their bum's in gear and step up to the plate.

I'm cross for you.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 29,165 Posts
    • 166,408 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh Fortune! So sorry to hear this Wishing makes some good points ....

And you definitely need to have some treats for you and MrF.

Thinking of you xx
    Retired August 2016
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 15th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,877 Thanks
    selloptape
    That!!!8217;s a shame about Easter
    GC May £78.51/£290 GC April £240.65/£300March £322.53/£350
    £2 Savers Club #59 £58
    MFW 2018 #49 £600/£3,000
    MFiT T4 #21 - reduce mortgage by £20k over 3 years
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 28,743 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Millennials!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,897.72, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £227.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,589Posts Today

6,712Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin