Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,925Posts
    • 57,605Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread 18th Jul 17 at 9:21 PM
    At the suggestion of our very sensible friend Lyn (and since the gremlins have been at work deleting threads on the Old Style forum) I've started a shiny fresh new "T" word thread. Hopefully starting again will avoid us vanishing overnight (although if I could reappear as a a more streamlined version I'd consider vanishing overnight!)

The old thread is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3751615.

Welcome all to round two......
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 31
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We slept! boy did we sleep, I went from 9 to 4 this morning and then got off again and finally surfaced at 7.15 and it feels good! Out for coffee this morning at the garden centre and then if it's cooler the packing begins in earnest we'll have it all sorted other than a few running things for every day by the end of next week.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,873 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    TA I wasn't sure when you get the scan results , brain is still a bit fuddled . I've just looked at the daily and noticed your latest post and am so sorry Mr TA is in hospital . You must be so exhausted .
    Lets hope they manage to get him over for the results on Tuesday and things improve .
    Take care you have a lot of people holding you both in their hearts and thoughts . I'm about to light the lavender candle now and I'm sure others will be sending the light .
    I have to say reading about the corn on the cob brought a smile to my face and I expect it made your day .
    Much love

polly xx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,873 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Have worked my way through all the posts since the 25th July and possibly forgotten half of it .

Thank you for the get well wishes everyone . A 48 hour bug according to our Dr on the 24th turned into something that is only now beginning to settle . All the result of an idiot in M&S literally coughing and sneezing in our faces the previous week . Suitable Karma has been sent .

Candlelight those results for Himself sound positive it's always good when things improve even in small ways . I don't buy much in Marks now but if I do I will order things while in store for pick up from there . It's opposite the pharmacy so easier than trying to fit around deliveries . Of course it depends on where your branch is and if it's somewhere you're likely to be near .
    I don't know if you ever saw it but quite some time ago I replied to thank you for pointing me towards a pale grey paint .
    I think it was after you weren't posting here and it was good to see you popping up on the shabby chic thread to reply with the perfect grey . So thank you again .

Lainey I hope your sil is home now and you feel calmer and less worried . This house has been Eau de Olbas for the past week . Sinus and Hayfever are not pleasant . Hope yours is easing now and you'll sleep better .

SM You are welcome to send unwanted rain here . We had some thunderstorms on the evening of the blood moon eclipse with torrential rain and I welcomed it even though we never saw the moon . I wish some good weather for you . I still haven't looked at the Hobbs site , however in high temperature mode I managed to randomly convince myself I needed a dishwasher . I've never had or wanted one even when all 4 offspring were here , luckily I was too weak to actually search online and next day sanity prevailed .
    I hope you got your financial task done and get time to enjoy the summer .

Well Lyn you must be so relieved to have come through the ups and downs of moving . I bet you welcomed last nights sleep .
    It's been lovely to catch up on Nell and James and I wish them much happiness to come .
    Here's to a smooth path for you and HWK to your new home .

Good to hear the breathing is better fuds . Bloomin' pollen we can't live without it so I try to think of the positive side . The roses , peonies , sweet peas and fruit , herbs and veg wouldn't be in my garden without it so I forgive it .

Mums or others in charge of pushchairs are one of my hates . It defies belief anyone would push a child into the road without full attention on traffic etc . I always tried to cross at a crossing with mine even after babyhood , not always possible I know .
    The focus on the phone makes me livid it's not only dangerous to focus on the screen when crossing but it means the child is not getting any engagement with the adult . I used to talk to mine about allsorts when out and about . We live near a town with beautiful buildings and I taught them to look up rather than at ground floor level to see all the turrets , lovely windows and gargoyles .
    DD and I usually sit on a bench for a while when in town and still spot something we've never noticed before '

This has taken me ages ! I'm crossing everything it wont head off into the ether . Hope all posters and readers are well . Enjoy the rest of today all .

Any news on the baby front Elona ?

Take care all

polly x
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 5th Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 57,605 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    I'm back! It's been frantic since I was last here. yes, I deal with the dreaded finances - I now know for sure how many millions of a black hole there is thank goodness it's not my own money

My MIL (whom I don't really see much of and have no relationship with) has become ill so hubby has spent much of the weekend popping backwards and forwards to hospital. FIL had only recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's so it seem that they have become very dependent overnight. Hubby has 4 siblings so I'm trying (very diplomatically) to get the message across that they all need to share in the responsibilities. They are all local to their parents, all healthy, some in part time employment and some not working at all so no need for anyone to be taking on 90% of the burden. I find it amazing- I have one sibling whom I may not always see eye to eye with but we both know if the chips are down we both need to contribute in equal measure. Hubby's larger family, on the other hand, all vanish like snow from a roof when they are asked to do anything. Very frustrating!

It's my parents wedding anniversary today so I bought flowers. I managed to find a bouquet in Mr T which had orange cockscomb flower in it (I believe the proper name is celosia cristata). Mum loves that particular flower. I really should investigate if it could be grown in our gardens. It is pretty eye catching.

We had a day and a half of dry, warm and dull weather. A bit muggy for my liking but the heat I missed was back so I can't complain too much.

Off to deal with some mending now. Hubby (and the knee of his working jeans) had a disagreement with some barbed wire yesterday so I have some patching ahead!

Pollyanna- just saw your dishwasher comment. I would give up almost every appliance before I would lose my dishwasher. Only two of us in the house and it is used almost every day, sometimes if I bake several times. My great grandmother would turn in her grave - what a lazy wastrel she would call me!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend all.
    Last edited by scottishminnie; 05-08-2018 at 9:36 PM.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 7th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 25,010 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Hello everyone,

Well another blistering day of heat, I understand it is going to change tomorrow, and oh I shall be pleased if it does. I have had enough of this and Himself is fit for nothing from lunchtime onwards.

We picked up our prescriptions this morning and when we came home I baked 2 cakes, a chocolate marble cake and a light fruit one.(The kitchen was so hot I thought I would melt) We have youngest DD and youngest DGD and her boyfriend coming tomorrow and they very much like cake, and I will do some filled rolls as well.

Elona many congratulations on the safe arrival of your grandchild, I hope your DD is OK.

Polly good to see you back, take care of yourself. Those viruses can last forever, especially when you have other health issues, and all because of one person who couldn't be bothered to use basic hygene

Lyn I hope you feel more settled now the removals are sorted.

TA, I don't know how things are today, whether you have received the results of DHs scan and whether he is responding to the antibiotics. I just want you to know we are thinking of you both, try to look after yourself, and if you don't want to eat make sure you are having plenty of fluids, even more important because it is so hot at the moment. Sending you both hugs xx

Lainey, I know nothing about horses, but I hope Lu is comfortable. Good news about your SIL, I am sure she will recover better now that she is at home. It is waiting for the results now that is stressful, hoping for a positive outcome on that front.

Stay cool xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Aug 18, 3:57 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Much happier now thanks Candlelight although we will also be mightily relieved when this overpowering heat dies down and we get cooler and wetter weather back here in the UK. For 30 glorious seconds I was out in what proved to be a heavy but passing shower just after lunch getting washing off the line, Oh the bliss of being rained on!

The pile of boxes grows daily, the list of 'to do' jobs is endless and the countdown has begun, three weeks and three days and counting! Bring It ON!

Who has arrived to play with Elona? new babies, make me go all gooey! Welcome to the world small and beautiful person may your life only know love and may your world always be kind and make you smile, congratulations to your mum, dad and nanna xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 28,879 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh Lyn I am intensely jealous of your rain, even if it was only for a short while, it is sweltering here and with cloud cover so humid.

Just got back from the stables, Lulu is fine thanks for asking Candlelight, we havenít done much in the way of work for the last few weeks as far too hot and, call me soft, but I think itís a bit unfair to tack up her and expect her to carry me around as well. It is meant to get cooler from tomorrow onwards so have been eying up the stubble fields ready for a bit of a blast

Many, many congratulations to Elona, enjoy those cuddles when they come x

Hope that you are now fully recovered Polly and ggrrr on the sneezer, I did like the expression Eau de Olbas mind

Sounds like your husband has a lot on his plate with a poorly Mum SM, as you rightly say the care should be equally split amongst the siblings not just left to him but it can often be the way that it tends to fall on just the one pair of shoulders. We donít have a dishwasher as there was only space for either that or a tumble dryer and I like fluffy towels.

Hugs and thoughts as always are with the TAís
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 9th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 25,010 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Hello all,

We had the most wonderful rain last night, not masses of it, but enough to freshen the air and the smell through the open windows was lovely. It is much cooler now and we both slept better last night, still without a duvet over us, but more comfortable.

We haven't been out this morning because we were waiting for the plumber to call. We have a problem with the toilet cistern, so he has just popped in to look at it and will be back about 10 tomorrow to sort it.

I have done a small coloureds wash and prepared a chilli which I will slow cook in the over this afternoon. DGD is working later tonight so we will have ours and then all she has to do is the rice when she is ready for hers. She doesn't mind eating late, being young, but it doesn't lie easy in my stomach if I eat late.

Elona, we desperately need news of this baby!! Weight, colour of hair, does she look like Mum or Dad? All these facts are important to us, particularly me because I am nosey. Seriously many congratulations to you and all the family because I know you are all very close. What are you going to be called, I am Nan, as was my Mum and my Nan?

Lyn I hope you haven't boxed everything up and that you have enough to last the 2 weeks or so. You and HWK must be so excited, you will be able to see the girls and those little boys almost whenever you want to, without a long journey ahead of you. This is another exciting phase in your life.

TA, I know there wasn't a daily post from you today, so I want to send a hug to you. Your strength is being tested to the limit I know, but I am hoping DH is more settled on the new ward and that the infection is now under control. You don't have to be strong all the time, you are allowed to feel sad and upset, but then you will be ready to fight another day. Please tell DH he has lots of virtual friends willing him to get better xx

Well at the moment we don't have anything planned for the weekend, the hot weather has really taken it out of Himself so I am just going with the flow and if he doesn't want to do anything that's fine

Take care all xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Afternoon all, we had such a lovely cool morning, it gently rained for most of it not copious quantities of rain but a gentle persistence and it was only 15 degrees outside for most of it, Oh my it was gorgeous! I even had to change seats on the bus because the windows were open and the breeze was COLD!!! now there's a novel experience after this summer!

The packing continues apace, this afternoon I've started on the airing cupboard and packed all the spare quilt covers and sheets and finished to pack the good dinner service which is marked fragile because it is. I've packed the things like the 'on chair high seat' and the step up for the toilet for the boys, so the store room is looking emptier and we have some empty shelves too. Food is the next thing to sort I think, much of the store cupboard pantry has been used but I have to plan meals round tinned meats for a couple of weeks, the big freezer has been sorted, defrosted and I can see what's in there and I know we won't be able to use all of the things in it so I'm hoping my neighbours will be able to use what I can't and then the freezer will be freecycled. We put the big desk on this morning and the dining table and chairs will be offered to the BHF next week, my house is looking very sparse just now. It's good to get it done though and it's making us nice and tired for the evenings, if only that led to a full nights undisturbed sleep! we're both awake by 2.30 and then fully awake for 5ish most days, roll on darker mornings and cooler weather eh?
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    Elona
    Candlelight

I suggested "Grandma" as I am not sure what MIL wants to be called but eventually baby will make up her own mind what she wants to call us all.

Another dd might be driving me to see the baby on Saturday which will be lovely if the new little family is ready for company. Youngest dd is coming to stay at the weekend and maybe her BF so the room is all ready and I have a delivery of groceries due tomorrow. I also have another delivery due on Tuesday as I have been having a browse at tinned goods to make up a good store cupboard ready for the winter while the prices are reasonable.

Waiting for a call from in laws as I think they are coming to stay with me for a couple of days next week.

Hugs to all
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    What a lovely day, it's been raining on and off all morning including the most wonderful heavy soaking rain for at least an hour. I stood upstairs looking out at the gutters running with enough water to almost meet in the middle of the road and was happy. I've got long sleeves on too as it's that much cooler today and so much more comfortable. This morning I sorted out the little freezer we're keeping and decanted the remaining meat and fish from the big one into it. That just leaves veg and fruit in the big one which can go on the compost heap if we can't finish it all in the time we've got left before we get rid of the big freezer. I've packed some clothes that I won't need before we go too
    and emptied winter sock drawers, winter pj's from the wardrobe and the whole thing looks better, less to pack now than we've already packed, we're getting there!
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 10th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 57,605 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Glad it's Friday although I'm "on call " all weekend for a major event which is happening at work. Fingers crossed I'm not needed. I could do with some rest.
    MIL isn't great but no diagnosis/prognosis until next week so hubby will need to continue as is. I have no relationship with her so won't be visiting as she has openly said she has nothing to talk about with me however I'll contribute via food for FIL and will send some magazines/books to her as food and flowers are prohibited at the hospital where she is.
    I'm due to visit a dear friend tomorrow who has a brain tumour. The treatment has not been successful and she seems to be in a state of limbo with it being no better or no worse but she is bed bound, relying on carers and frustrated at being unable to communicate fully.

I guess when you get past about 45 these kind of situations with friends and family are to be expected. Would be good if it slowed down a bit though

Anyway, on a more positive note - will need to pick rhubarb over the weekend. Will look for a recipe for Sunday night dessert other than rhubarb crumble. I was thinking rhubarb, raspberry and orange something. maybe a tart with meringue on top as I have more than a dozen eggs to use up.

My sister has a birthday coming up soon and is getting ready to move into a new house with a bedroom which will become a sewing room. I've decided to pick up some bits and pieces for her new room so I may take a trip into TK Maxx tomorrow morning after my gym classes as they often have neat little craft and sewing accessories. They also have continual supplies of Le Creuset which is a weakness of mine

I'm glad it's a bit cooler for most of you. A little rain will do things good (and make the weeds flourish!) and it will help my blueberries to plump up a bit.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Aug 18, 8:05 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 28,879 Thanks
    LaineyT
    The rain and cooler weather has been very welcome here SM, the grass has already greened up and everything is looking a lot fresher than it was. I am sorry to hear that your friend is having to cope with a brain tumour, I have a friend who is in remission with hers at the moment but constantly feels she is on borrowed time

Itís clear blue skies and sunshine here in EA but bbrrr cold, had a blanket and a throw cover on the bed last night but have to say it was nice to snuggle down and not be constantly throwing the covers off.
    Capt S is off up North this weekend to watch football and cricket with his youngest so itís a girlie weekend here with just me, the dog and the horse . Dare I say that I have been really looking forward to having the house to myself for a day or two, no need to produce meals at specific times and if I just fancy beans on toast that will be fine ( not that my beloved would ever moan but you know what I mean ).
    There is a hay delivery coming to the yard at some point today so need to be around for that, Lulu will need exercising and a good groom so thatís my afternoon sorted, lovely.
    My DSIL continues to improve both physically and mentally, she had a hospital appointment on Thursday and we are now waiting on news of the start for the chemo.

Love to all and enjoy those baby cuddles Elona x
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 11th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 25,010 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good evening,

We have rain, LOTS of it, and considerably cooler thank goodness.

We both slept well last night, but I still feel tired, and I have nodded off twice today in the chair. Only for about 10 minutes each time, but I don't know what that is all about.

Lainey I am so pleased your DSIL is recovering well. If she is anything like me I just wanted to get started on the treatment, but obviously you have to wait a while. I didn't have chemo, but I had 25 sessions of radiotherapy, and such a relief to know everything is being done to kill off any rogue cells which might have escaped. I wish her well Lainey, she will need a little spoiling whilst she is having treatment. I hope you are enjoying having the house to yourself.

Enjoy your evening everyone xx
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 12th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 25,010 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good morning,

Well it is still raining here, but I am not complaining. We both slept well last night, and I have no idea why we were both tired yesterday, I wonder whether it might have something to do with the change in temperature.

The plumber fixed the cistern on Friday but unfortunately it looks as though it had been leaking for some time so we have had to take all the tiles up in the bathroom and let the floor boards dry out. Never mind it is only a small bathroom so it won't take long.

SM I wonder what you have decided to do with the rhubarb. I have missed hearing about your wonderful concoctions. I never had a MIL, she was very ill when I met Himself and she died shortly after we were engaged. I have no way of knowing whether we would have got on, but I hope so. Himself was an only child so she doted on him, and we had 2 girls so I like to think she would have loved having 2 granddaughters. Before she became ill she was a wonderful knitter, and made wonderful pastry, but after she had a mastectomy her arm had dreadful lymphodema and she could hardly move it. Of course ths was over 50 years ago when surgery, I think, was fairly brutal.

Polly, are you still not well? Sending healing vibes to you and hope you will be with us again soon.

TA sending hugs to you and Mr TA and hoping the antibiotics are doing their job.

Lyn, I have visions of you with about 2 pairs of trousers, T shirts and minimal underwear!! because everything else is in a box. I am sure you will be mightily relieved when you are settled in your new home.

Enjoy your day xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 1:29 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's not quite as stark as that but what is left in the wardrobe will fit into a medium sized suitcase easily! It's got to that stage of the move where I do wish it was over, not because we're uncomfortable here we've everything we need but because I'm not very good at goodbyes and every time I go out someone I bump into says we're going to miss you. I like new beginnings though so I'm raring to go and get on with life again, I don't like life on the back boiler.

Nice coffee at the garden centre this morning but not our usual pootle through the countryside because it was raining hard when we came out so we just headed for home. Nice soup and a roll for lunch has warmed us up so more sorting and packing to do this afternoon now we are fortified. Our buyer is coming tomorrow afternoon with her builder, I might make myself absent as what she choses to do and change is really up to her, I'd rather not know though, I like the house as it is now. Nell, James and the boys are having a super time down west despite the weather, the tent has stood up well to the winds and the boys have had lots to do too, they are off to the cinema this afternoon to see something 'Spidermanny' and bowling tomorrow then home on Tuesday and we've had loads of smiling pictures through on the phone. So amazed that James and his family holidayed at the same camp site in the 80s/90s as I and my dad did back in the late 60s/early 70s and that's where they're staying now, magic!

I've got the two grandpickles a present each for when they come on the first visit to our new home, Orley has a cuddly Sea Turtle and Ezra has a Nemo Fish cuddly, they can live with us and be for when the boys stay over, I hope they like them. Hope you're all having a nice relaxing Sunday xxx.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 62,137 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Lyn I misread your post and thought you said Nell, James and the boys were going howling tomorrow The sooner I get rid of my cataracts the better, I think
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    No that was today! tomorrow is bowling and the wolves get a rest!
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 17th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 25,010 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Morning,

I have read today on the Daily Thread that Mr TA is very poorly and that the news TA was dreading has come to pass. I know I speak for us all here saying we send our love and hugs to them both and the strength to cope with the ongoing situation. I have told her she must look after herself as well as her DH, she will need every bit of strength and courage.

The weather is fine here at the moment, I have just put the washing out.

We are going out for lunch with our DD , 2 DGC and their partners. It is youngest DGDs birthday tomorrow, so she suggested going out for a meal. Himself wasn't ever so keen because he doesn't have much of an appetite these days, but he loves to see the children, and how nice they want to spend time with their grandparents.

Love to everyone, lavender candles will be lit this evening xx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th Aug 18, 9:18 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 28,879 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning Candlelight and all,

To echo what you have so eloquently said all love and strength to TA and her family, itís such a tough situation for a family to deal with but their closeness will pull them through.

Enjoy your family meal, sounds wonderful and lovely for you all to celebrate together x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

7Posts Today

3,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin