Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,610Posts
    • 32,964Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 550
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Jan 20, 12:36 PM
    • 15,534 Posts
    • 151,683 Thanks
    mardatha
    VICTORIAN NURSERY CAKE. THEEE best cake recipe out there!

150g unsalted butter
    150g plain flour
    120g castor sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    2 eggs
    100g sultanas
    1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
    Mix all, put into a tin, and MOST IMPORTANT sprinkle the soft brown sugar on top just before you put in oven. Gives a lovely sweet crunchy topping
    Gas oven Mk 5, bake around 25 mins.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 13th Jan 20, 12:23 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 7,335 Thanks
    burtha
    hi all
    hope it's not to late to send a huge happy New year out to all of you .
    life has been a bit hectic of late , moved house beginning of Dec again , pushed on with the kids mental health the last year has been interesting to say the least , focus and 're focus stuff ... but now feel like I've got somewhere , miss you lots loads , you realy did save me from giving up , no matter how small the comment was it was hope , when I had nothing left to give ...
    still running 834 days , everyday , headspace
    my frog is still around , he's a good frog , takes me for who I am ... accepts things , is positive .
    3mw seen his kids 3 times last year , average time with then 10 mins ... kids now accept he's a idiot.
    I hope your all well and life is treating you kind , now things are more settled I'll be around a bit more .
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jan 20, 7:03 AM
    • 15,534 Posts
    • 151,683 Thanks
    mardatha
    That's good to hear, Burtha xxx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Jan 20, 7:39 AM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 56,440 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh burtha, it's so good to hear from you. I thought you may have won the lottery or something, and were living it up in a gin palace somewhere. No? Oh well, keep trying.

Tell us about the new house. After the house you had with 3mw I would think that a shack in the back of beyond would be an improvement.
    Glad that the children are OK. They obviously aren't missing their father! What an idiot. He won't realise for ages yet, but he has thrown away one of the most precious things anyone could wish for, a family. Once all the glitz of the new relationship has worn off and life is as humdrum and routine driven as most peoples lives become, he will look round and realise what he has given up.
    Sadly for him, it will be too late. You can't re-wind time.

In the meantime, enjoy your new life, your new home, your running, (You mad creature, you,) and your frog. You've got everything going for you at last. You so deserve the good things in store.

Keep us posted.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 13th Jan 20, 8:01 AM
    • 9,493 Posts
    • 62,018 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Happy new year, burtha , 2020 is going to be amazing for you.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • burtha
    • By burtha 13th Jan 20, 8:13 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 7,335 Thanks
    burtha
    maybe I have won the lottery monna , the day he left . I just didn't see it at the time
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 13th Jan 20, 8:17 AM
    • 9,493 Posts
    • 62,018 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    You have to clear out the rubbish to make room for the good things!
    One life - your life - live it!
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 13th Jan 20, 10:12 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 11,080 Thanks
    shanks77
    Nice to see you back Burtha and so glad things have finally improved for you xx
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 13th Jan 20, 11:06 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 42,498 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    Lovely to hear things are getting better for you Burtha. You keep going sweetie, you deserve so much happiness.

Monna, hope you have things sorted by now, everyone needs a bathroom.

Mar thank you for the recipe, I am hoping its like Mr Kipling fruitcake as I have tried every recipe going to make it for hubby. The Mr kipling one now is so small it wouldn't fatten a budgie up.

Things ticking over here I suppose. Dd has found a lovely new man but is taking it very slowly as the children are more important than anything. This guy exudes waves of calm and though probably not perfect (who is) its taken the strain off us as he is there part time helping with things and giving her the company she craves.
    Last edited by ginnyknit; 13-01-2020 at 11:12 PM. Reason: hadnt finished
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Jan 20, 6:59 AM
    • 15,534 Posts
    • 151,683 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ginny you can use SR flour too, it doesn't make much of a difference as far as I can see. It isn't a moist rich cake, it's more like shortbread with fruit in, I just love it.
    Huge flash of lightning and bang of thunder at around midnight, woke me up and gave Beeglie a fright and she shot off the bed. But thsi morning the wind and rain has stopped. Was a hellish day yesterday, wind was roaring like a train going past.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Jan 20, 9:55 AM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 56,440 Thanks
    monnagran
    I'm going to make that cake Mar. What size tin do you make it in? It sounds just the thing for coffee mornings.

burtha you are absolutely right, you have won the lottery. It's amazing how, when we look back, we can see how everything has worked out for the best. Just wish we'd known it at the time and not wasted our tears, eh?

Ginny, I wouldn't say I am sorted, but I have a bathroom! And a kitchen! And a clean, light, bright house. Life is good.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Jan 20, 11:53 AM
    • 15,534 Posts
    • 151,683 Thanks
    mardatha
    Erm I dunno what size tin it is monna, just a wee loaf tin. Not big. It doesn't rise much. I'm going to try doubling the quantities to make it bigger.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Jan 20, 12:11 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 68,442 Thanks
    silvasava
    Lovely to 'see' you Burtha, This will definitely be your year, you deserve it!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • burtha
    • By burtha 15th Jan 20, 4:18 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 7,335 Thanks
    burtha
    cake sounds interesting mar . I need to start to bake again , everything has came to a stop . need simple teenage proof , healthy things that the kids can raid into . getting back on track with other food stuff , moved house the beginning of Dec. ... just getting to grips with a induction hob , hated it at first , still keep press in the wrong things .
    house is a small 3 bed detached on a estate built 15 ?? year ago . was a bit unkempt to say the least , so we had 3 weeks to fix ceiling, floors ,bathrooms, everything realy ... 90 percent was done when I moved in thanks to the frog , he even build me a pantry .... and rejigged the back of the garage into a laundry room ... unlike the ex , frog is a grafter and likes to see things finished .
    it's a small house that's big enough and safe enough that hopefully we can give the kids move freedom in . we plan on a bit move travel as and when kuds are ready . youngest dd will be 18 soon .
    monna what happened to your house sale ?? moved ?

right I need to run , apparently I'm going to the big blue Swedish shop with 4 young adults in a bit
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jan 20, 4:44 PM
    • 13,972 Posts
    • 189,450 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Burtha what a lovely thing to read your news, new house, almost grown up small ones and a handy-frog who makes houses nice again, fabulous things to have back in your life and a nice view ahead for you it sounds, be happy love xxx.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 15th Jan 20, 4:55 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 7,335 Thanks
    burtha
    thank you Mrs l ,
    eldest daughter is expecting again too, very early days but fingerscrossed xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jan 20, 6:12 PM
    • 13,972 Posts
    • 189,450 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Even better news love, so happy for all of you xxx.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 15th Jan 20, 7:12 PM
    • 4,507 Posts
    • 56,272 Thanks
    camelot1001
    So lovely to hear your news burtha, 2020 will definitely be your year!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Jan 20, 9:22 PM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 56,440 Thanks
    monnagran
    burtha, you have really got life sorted haven't you?

I am not going to bore you with my house stories, but briefly... 2x1/2 years of house sale being off and on...13 separate moving dates last year alone.....finally moved out of my house, put everything into store and moved in with a friend until my bungalow was available....finally got the keys only to find a scene of utter devastation....9 weeks later, just before Christmas, I finally got myself into my bungalow thanks to the sterling work done by my darling Island maid , her wonderful DH and some of his friends.

I have so many people that I will never be able to thank enough.

How about your old house burtha? Did it sell at last, or is 3mw still waiting for someone to offer what he, but nobody else, thinks it is worth?
    • burtha
    • By burtha 16th Jan 20, 2:03 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 7,335 Thanks
    burtha
    sold , for 30k less than our lowest offer we received not long after we put it on the market , my solicitor pressed him into accepting it as we were 2 weeks away from reposesion. it cleared the morgage, and selling costs .
    think overall he lost me about 160k , by his stupidity . I found out more stuff as I was going . probably more if I think about it .
    I'm still waiting for him to put the financial paperwork in for the divorce, don't worry, the court order is in place if anything was to happen to him, im covered.
    so its still not over , I suppose.
    still so shocked by his behaviour, don't know how anyone can just walk away from there kids. but I think I did the right thing by not reacting to him , listened to the kids and just kept going .
    would love to tell him how useless he is , how disappointed everyone is by his actions , how his kids deserve a dad . but it would be a waste of time he would only twist words to come back to everything being my fault .
    it's sad , but it's his loss . actions speak louder than words they say , the most wonderful dad in the world ??? yet only seen the kids a few times in a year ...
    maybe not
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,674Users online

Martin's Twitter