Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,610Posts
    • 32,947Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 512
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Nov 18, 3:44 PM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 65,425 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I'm glad the rugby had a happy ending Lyn! I hope the concert goes well and that DD gets some voice back.

Better go and try to persuade the cat that he wants to come in before it gets dark....
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 65,425 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hi all,

I hope I am in the right place!

I have just started my DMP, first payment due in about a week or so, there's a small flicker at the end of the tunnel, or, that could be my eyesight going, I've started with PayPlan, they seem genuinely concerned and have a lot of time for you.

Anyone have any hints, tips or tricks?

TIA.
    Originally posted by caracbx
    Well done caracbx Such a relief when you start to get sorted.

The Debtfree Wannabe board might be a good place for you to start
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Nov 18, 2:27 PM
    • 13,074 Posts
    • 180,518 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Concert was outstanding Ivyleaf but harrowing as there was a very carefully choreographed film set to The Armed Man which is an emotive piece anyway. All the wars you can remember, a few you' can't and even re-enactors for romans (Ermine Street Guard), Civil War (Sealed Knot) Boer War, Falklands, Afghanistan, Iraq the footage was actual and very violent but what a message it packed. It was hard viewing but something I feel the whole world should see compulsorily to bring home the continued futility of war...no glory in being dead in the mud no matter what the cause!
    Do not go gentle into that good night, rage rage against the dying of the light Dylan Thomas

You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 66,111 Thanks
    silvasava
    Morning All. Busy weekend for me. DS1 invited me as his Plus 1 to our Commodores lunch. She'd invited Commodores from all the other clubs round the harbour along with the RNLI, the harbour conservancy and the harbour master and partners. DS said he knew I'd chat to everone! Not sure if that was a compliment or not lol! Very nice afternoon though, relaxed and lovely to get other clubs input too. Came back home & got dinner on for DH & I then relaxed and watched Strictly
    Yesterday was attending a local memorial service after following the band (a friend of ours playing and also doing the last post) then to the club as they were hosting the RNLI selling their Christmas cards, calendars and diaries. One of the ladies had a birthday last week and had brought cake so would be rude not to wouldn't it? I'm a sucker for home made lemon drizzle! Back home to pick up DH and back to DS1 for dinner and CA film. Got home about 10ish!
    Mrs L - so with you on the absolute futility of wars. Shame the people who start them never have to fight them or deal with the aftermath. Remember Monna saying war never decides who's right only who's left
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • AnxiousHermit
    • By AnxiousHermit 15th Nov 18, 1:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    AnxiousHermit
    I can't work out how to subscribe to people's threads. Is it no longer possible? I can't see the option for it on people's posts but I might be missing something obvious.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 15th Nov 18, 6:50 AM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 57,621 Thanks
    Jazee
    I can't work out how to subscribe to people's threads. Is it no longer possible? I can't see the option for it on people's posts but I might be missing something obvious.
    Originally posted by AnxiousHermit

Click on thread tools near the top of the page and the options are there. Morning all hope you're all ok. Work for me today. Oh and I've discovered that jelly babies are actually quite nice.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Mar - 452.84 Total 2019 - 1223.57/5k
    Keep Moving Challenge - walked 135 miles
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Nov 18, 10:08 AM
    • 13,074 Posts
    • 180,518 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Liquorice Allsorts are nicer!!!

Lovely day out there today with some bright sunshine but nippy round the edges. Off to meet a friend for coffee at 11.30 and HWK is going to take me to try to find the nearest Aldi later today as I want some German Christmas food which we like better now than the English stuff. I already have Pfeffernusse (spicy biscuits), Mixed Lebekuchen (gingerbread type biscuits) and Lebekuchen Hertzen (chocolate covered hearts filled with apricot conserve) and DD1 has sourced me a goose breast which is now in her freezer. I want a stolen and some Nurenburger lebekuchen too and some cinnamon stars if I can find them, many goodies but I have all 10 of us at various times over the Christmas period and will have 4 ravenous grandsons to feed, not that I needed an excuse but it's good to have one!
    Do not go gentle into that good night, rage rage against the dying of the light Dylan Thomas

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Nov 18, 5:05 PM
    • 15,420 Posts
    • 150,406 Thanks
    mardatha
    Jazee if there's any colours of jellybabies that you don't like.... I could sort of find a good home for them..
    • burtha
    • By burtha 16th Nov 18, 1:02 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 7,077 Thanks
    burtha
    Mar , glad to see nothing has changed x
    Evening all, how's everyone ... hope your all right
    I'm going to read a few pages back , unless someone wants to give me the edited version lol
    I'm still plodding , youngest dd is a bit more settled , ds is a teenager lol , gcse mocks coming up,so hopefully that will wake him up ...
    3mw is still a xxxxxx
    House unsold and it's now cold and I'm back to cutting wood ....
    Smile and wave ... smile and wave xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th Nov 18, 11:41 AM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 55,247 Thanks
    monnagran
    Good to hear that you're still bu&&ering on burtha.

I do hope that your solicitors are still on the case and extracting some of the folding stuff from 3mw to house, feed and clothe his children.

You know that you are always in our thoughts, don't you? If only we could do something to help.

We are always relieved to get a few words from you now and again. x

Enjoy your posh lunch Silvasava. Nice to be a plus one.

Mrs LW, I bought an individual Stollen from Aldi the last time I managed to get in there. Mmmm! Delicious. You are going to have the Christmas of your dreams this year. No one deserves it more.

Chez mois, Christmas is going to be a non-event I'm afraid. Hopefully I will either have just moved or all packed up and waiting to move. In either case I can see me placing a tiny tree on a box and my cards will be displayed in a carrier bag.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th Nov 18, 3:48 PM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 65,425 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Good to see you burtha! Sorry the house isn't sold yet though x

Not much happening here, got a builder coming tomorrow (or possibly Saturday after next) to see if he can put a new lintel in over the front door before the wall falls down....
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    • 10,944 Posts
    • 120,348 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Jazee and MrsLW sorry, but I don't care for either jellybabies (contain gelatine) or liquorice allsorts (I can't abide liquorice). So you can have my share.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    • 13,074 Posts
    • 180,518 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh goody what can I trade you Wolfie? I love liquorice, always have it's one of the very few sweeties that I can enthuse about.

• LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th Nov 18, 5:22 PM
    • 10,944 Posts
    • 120,348 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The only sweeties I'm really bothered about are good old P0lo mints. I always have a pack of them in the car, and some in my handbag.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Nov 18, 5:31 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 66,111 Thanks
    silvasava
    Burtha - thank you for letting us know how you are - glad DD is a bit more settled. Sorry 3MW is still being a Richard.
    MrsL - you can have my share of the Liquorice and Mar can have the jelly babies as long as I get the coffee creams
    Lunch was lovely although it was a continual supply of canapes - did duty and chatted to lots of people - of whom I've forgotten all their names lol!
    Monna I do hope you are in your own home before Christmas with your own things at long last. After all that time in storage it will be like Christmas opening all the boxes!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th Nov 18, 6:24 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 55,247 Thanks
    monnagran
    LW, when I was teaching I always had a good stack of Polos in my desk drawer. My classes and I had a saying that everything could be made better by a hug and a Polo. It worked too. On one occasion when a child had been very upset by a visiting ballet teacher, (the child was dyspraxic), the whole class was very distressed so we had a group hug, a mass dispensing of Polos and because they were still upset we all had another Polo. I'd probably be in prison if I was teaching now. But it worked.

Silvasava, I wonder what I will find is lurking in those boxes. Lots of books I know but possibly not much of any use. I certainly won't have anything to sit on for a bit.
    Glad you enjoyed your lunch.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th Nov 18, 7:00 PM
    • 9,322 Posts
    • 59,982 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Polos are very useful if somebody is upset and in tears, because you physically cannot cry and eat at the same time.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Nov 18, 11:21 PM
    • 13,074 Posts
    • 180,518 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I happily donate any polos that come into my possession to you Wolfie, I can't abide them! Isn't it strange what we all like and dislike?

• burtha
    • By burtha 17th Nov 18, 4:35 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 7,077 Thanks
    burtha
    Well , I'm just going to bed now , hopefully sleep a couple of hours ... last night I had a burst pipe , water everywhere ... kitchen 4 inches in water ... took about 20 mins till I could get it turned off ... soaked ... sure someone's sticking pins in me ....
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Nov 18, 8:43 AM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 66,111 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh Burtha - what a PITA. Is there anyone local who can give you a hand? I am so concerned for you and totally helpless in giving you any practical support. I'd send a hug but that's no help at all so sending you some strength to cope xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

2,209Users online

Martin's Twitter