Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,604Posts
    • 32,902Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 511
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 7th Nov 18, 10:16 AM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 64,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    "Bin day" today. They've all been emptied now....shame I don't want to go out in the rain to put them away
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 7th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 4,172 Thanks
    juliettet
    Just wondering how Hester is?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Nov 18, 11:54 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,955 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We seem to have the beginning of the second 'flood' today, so much water being dropped with each shower that the gutters can't cope and we have waterfalls on all sides! Hopefully they will pass and give us a dryer afternoon as I have several errands to do down in the high street and I don't relish getting soaked through as I do them.

The workmen are here this morning installing our wood burner, mightily relieved I am to have that happening especially if the cold and hard winter that is predicted comes to actuality, we're a little susceptible to power outs here so having an independent heat source I can also cook on will be very handy indeed. We have a recliner sofa we can sleep on in the warm room if the house gets too cold as well, peace of mind for me!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 7th Nov 18, 1:58 PM
    • 6,596 Posts
    • 101,057 Thanks
    fuddle
    Oh dear. I hadn't heard we were predicted long cold winter. I know we had a cracking long summer but it still feels like it's come round too quickly.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 7th Nov 18, 4:37 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,798 Thanks
    chickens11
    Hello girls ...Ive come on for a little catch up and so nice to see all the regulars posting and the new people ....I hope your all very well ...Im not doing too bad , hubby still in his nursinbg home and very happy with it , I do go see him once or twice a week .......As the nights are now pulling in very fast and at this time of day I thought id check you out .......

Ive had a woodburner fitted way back in May this year and im finding it to be excellent , ive alwayts had a open fire , and kept really warm wit that , but this burner is a lot more economical , as soon as I get the coal alight I shut all the vents down and it glows for hours without fuelling it up , plus its still alight in the morning should I want to keep it going , but the weather hasnt been too cold here yet , so I light it when I want .........Still got GCH but do love to see flames in the winter.......

Ive been busy in the garden this year as I bought a secondhand greenhouse in May so ive been growing tomatoes, cucumbers , and peppers , ive got about 12 tomatoes left in there to pick then I shall clean it out ready for next year........

Let me know how you are all doing please, I only read back 2 pages and noticed so many familiar posters on here so I just had to write to you all............Sheila
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Nov 18, 7:38 PM
    • 15,283 Posts
    • 148,500 Thanks
    mardatha
    HIIII Sheila! nice to hear from you xx I agree re the stove, we've always had a coal fire but got the stove 20 yrs ago and yes it takes a lot less filling and emptying. And heats all the radiators too - but I still miss my old open fire. I liked to sit and stare into the flames lol.
    I hope yr wee hens are all ok and laying away?
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Nov 18, 5:45 AM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 49,964 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I'm ok thanks Juliettet. . CHS has been signed off until the end of January there are now four people covering his duties! We have people coming in three times a week to help CHS regain his balance and confidence.

Sheila we have a multi fuel stove on the boat, it's great.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Nov 18, 9:10 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,955 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh I love my stove, we had it on all evening (just a small fire though) and the whole house was warm and cosy and I didn't need my usual throw to wrap up in even here in the study where there is no heating at all, amazing.

I'm off to the city today for some greengrocery and a pootle as it's going to be the only dry day for a while and HWK is going to put the mantle piece shelf back on the chimney breast wall and re-hang the big mirror higher up.

I started planning Christmas food yesterday when the stove was being installed and I was shut in the kitchen and will continue doing that this afternoon when I'm back from shopping.

Have a good day all xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 8th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 4,172 Thanks
    juliettet
    Good to hear Hester. Remember to take care of yourself too.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Nov 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 64,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hi Sheila, lovely to "see" you! Glad you and OH are ok. well done on all the veg in the greenhouse!

I'm OK. We have a kitten; he's nearly 5 months old now and still quite hard work, so i'm glad he's not a puppy which would be even harder!

I will be glad when he's finished teething though......
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Nov 18, 10:29 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,955 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Big debate on whether to risk the rugby tonight or whether to risk the weather and go? we'll see how much rain arrives in the earlier part of the afternoon as the road between here and the city floods easily in places. I went in on the bus yesterday and we had heavy showers and the bus was putting up great 'wings' of water as we drove along that road almost as high as the top of the lower bus floor window. DD says we can stay with them if we get stuck but I'd rather not get stuck in the first place. HWK taking advantage of some sunshine and a dry patch and has headed allotmentwards and I have changed bedding and am about to vacuum.....I know how to live!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    • 15,283 Posts
    • 148,500 Thanks
    mardatha
    Horrible day up here MrsL, elect been off already and we're almost blown away. I might post next time from Norway lol
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Nov 18, 5:32 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 13,032 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hi all
    Thought I'd pop by. T'was nice to see Sheila's post.
    It's a horrible night here wild wind and torrential rain. Hope everyone stays safe and warm. Take care all.
    love nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Nov 18, 5:35 PM
    • 6,596 Posts
    • 101,057 Thanks
    fuddle
    MrsL did you stay home?

Did they get the kitchen finished before the lekertrisity went off Mar? Imagine that happening a couple of days ago. Demented!

You too nan, wet and windy here too.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Nov 18, 5:46 PM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,955 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're not gone yet but it's wild out there!
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 9th Nov 18, 7:59 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,798 Thanks
    chickens11
    Thank you for the welcome girls...........

Yea this stove is just too hot to be honest , ive got a sleeveless cotton summer night dress on and doors open through to hall and its too much ......The thermometre is about 22 feet away at the top of hall and its reading 26 degrees so in this sitting room it must be 30 or more , plus ive only got 1 log on a bed of red ash .......I wont open my bedroom door as I like the bedroom really cold in to sleep with the window open , well insulated and I cant open the stair door cos im in a bungalow....So cook it is ......
    But if thats all ive got to moan about I shouldnt grumble as lots poor people are the opposite........

Its a little windy here tonight but no rain ....Ive got to get outside tomorrow and do some tidying in the garden , grass now needs its final cut of the year .......

Hope you are all well ...Sheila
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Nov 18, 8:06 PM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 64,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh crumbs Sheila, that's too hot even for me!

Take care all, in the windy and wet weather xx
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Nov 18, 9:13 PM
    • 15,283 Posts
    • 148,500 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yes kitchen all done yesterday morning fuddle. Hellish night here as well.
    • caracbx
    • By caracbx 9th Nov 18, 9:47 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    caracbx
    Hi all,

I hope I am in the right place!

I have just started my DMP, first payment due in about a week or so, there's a small flicker at the end of the tunnel, or, that could be my eyesight going, I've started with PayPlan, they seem genuinely concerned and have a lot of time for you.

Anyone have any hints, tips or tricks?

TIA.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Nov 18, 9:01 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,955 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We did get to the rugby and it was one of the most boring games I've ever attended BUT in the last seconds of the game we scored a try to draw with the opposition and then made the conversion to win 14 to 12 and the whole stadium jumped to it's feet with a roar and threw their arms in the air (including us) so it was a moment worth being there for. We got home without any problems and the weather wasn't nearly as dire as the forecast had suggested it might be. Today I have a concert in the evening for the 100 years since the ending of WW1 celebrations and it's 'The Armed Man' by Carl Jenkins which is modern and fairly powerful as a piece of choral music. I've heard it live before and there is one sequence where the choir sing 'a nuclear holocaust' which literally makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck with dissonance. Should be interesting as it's not just the choral society but a day workshop where the public can go and sing as well (NOT ME) and it culminates in the actual performance at 6 tonight. Hope DD1 can manage some voice as she's had the awful cold that's been doing the rounds and is coughing well at the moment. I shall go in on the bus this afternoon if she is singing and go and meet her for coffee before we go home from the workshop before the performance.

Tomorrow looks to be a better and drier day than today and we'll walk down to the village for the Remembrance parade, I feel it's only right to mark the centenary in the community and then if the day is dry I suspect we'll spend some of it on the allotment which is coming along nicely and getting clearer each time I go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

167Posts Today

1,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin