Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,604Posts
    • 32,902Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 495
    • Squiggly Diddly
    • By Squiggly Diddly 16th Sep 18, 8:18 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 15,153 Thanks
    Squiggly Diddly
    Morning

Also sending positive vibes to Burtha - you’re doing brilliantly and you will come through this.

Fuddle (or fiddle as my tablet put - I think it may be related to Monna’s...). All of us have different coping strategies & they are right for us so it matters not what others think... Having been reading along this thread for years, I think you have dealt with everything life has thrown at you brilliantly, and if informing yourself thoroughly about how to manage that is what works for you, then that’s all that matters.

NM, fingers crossed for positive news about the bungalow too.

It appears to be Sunday again...Had some bits in my kitchen finally finished yesterday by the workman only 7 months later (long story). I bought this house in January & it was a probate sale, hadn’t been touched since the 70’s, so had a flurry of getting essential things done, including an unexpected full rewire Then reached a point where I had so much else going on in life & need to rebuild some money for the next lot of work that it ground to a halt and I have been living in a half-done house which was very demoralising. Now I’m settling into my new job, earning a bit more again & have my evenings/weekends back it seems easier to begin to motivate myself into doing things. Found a really pretty hot air balloon wallpaper for the reboarded/plastered wall in the kitchen, and will chase my brother to come and paint the rest. I need to have a read of the Kondo & declutter threads which I hope will help me with sorting out stuff too.

I’ve also been successfully doing slimming world for a few weeks now, lost 8lb so far and enjoying having the time to cook nice things for myself. The freezer is a bit full

Anyhow, waffling away here, so time for a cuppa I think! Have a good day all.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!)

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 64,293 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Squiggly Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous, and you blooming well deserve it after so much hassle! x

thoughts are with you burtha x
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 16th Sep 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 9,232 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Well, winter has started. It's been slashing down sleet since Thursday. Luckily nothing has stuck. It's just miserable.

To top it off, the hubby has just returned from his yearly trip home to his mother's. He's redecorated her kitchen! He won't even paint a wall here but if I suggest getting a painting crew in to do it he pitches a fit.

He has two brothers that still live at home and they do nothing. My husband rocks up once a year and is given a chores list!

Rant over.

Slow cooker is out and doing a pot roast. It smells nice if I say so myself.

Yesterday, WonderCollie didn't know what to do with himself. He had three small children in the house. He was dancing and prancing around the living room. He got fed snacks, stole snacks from the children and just was the happiest dog in the province. New family on the street and husband had helped them with a small problem since they moved in. They came with their Dad and a homemade banana bread. They went home covered in dog fluff and kisses and a family sized bag of dolly mixture.

They weren't getting my Jelly Babies!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Sep 18, 7:49 AM
    • 15,283 Posts
    • 148,498 Thanks
    mardatha
    A girl hasta hang onto her Jellybabies against all comers WC!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th Sep 18, 9:38 AM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 64,293 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Aw wondercollie! What a lovely visit! Sounds as if your new neighbours are going to be an asset. Glad wondercollie (the canine one) had such a great time. Sorry about the weather though! And that DH did his mother's kitchen won't paint at home. Our DS is similar, sometimes goes to help out friends with that sort of thing but then avoids doing it here.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 17th Sep 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 23,880 Thanks
    csarina2
    I have to say my son who died was just the opposite, if there was anything he came over and sorted it. If he was coming on a planned visit, he would email me and ask for a list of things that needed doing to make sure he brought the right tools with him.

Its 3 years at Christmas since he died, we miss him so much regardless of the 'little jobs' he did for us.
    Last edited by csarina2; 17-09-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 79,048 Thanks
    VJsmum
    csarina - so sad. My BiL died 9 years ago and i know the effect it has on his mum - not forgetting his wife and children. He took his own life - and his (now) 16 year old daughter has decided not to do psychology A level because of some of the content. A repercussion we hadn't thought about. Hugs to you, it's still early days...

Hi all - I'm supposed to be working. A deadline is looming - hoping typing here will get me going again.

wondercollie, I don't know how you cope with the weather... i;m dreading winter here.

burtha - hugs
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 18th Sep 18, 7:19 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 8,474 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Our DS and DiL help others but not us.
    I know they are busy but it would be nice to have a phone call when the weather is bad, or we don't feel too good, just to ask if we are OK.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 18th Sep 18, 3:03 PM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 119,524 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Aw wondercollie! What a lovely visit! Sounds as if your new neighbours are going to be an asset. Glad wondercollie (the canine one) had such a great time. Sorry about the weather though! And that DH did his mother's kitchen won't paint at home. Our DS is similar, sometimes goes to help out friends with that sort of thing but then avoids doing it here.
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    My Ex was like that.... If I needed something done (I only ever asked if I couldn't manage it myself) the reply was "I will do" which actually translated as "I'll say yes to shut you up, but I've actually no intention of ever doing it". But if his mother phoned wanting something done, he was out the front door before the phone had even settled back on the hook!
    Best day's work I ever did, getting shot of him.

Thankfully Mr Wolf will do whatever task I ask him to, be it scratting about in the gutters to clean them (and he hates being on ladders) or dusting the lounge, or anything in between.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Minihauk
    • By Minihauk 19th Sep 18, 11:27 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    Minihauk
    Good morning Fencers. I have lurked on this and other threads for years, but never seem to have anything of interest to post.
    I love the camaraderie you all share.
    I took early retirement 4 years ago and manage to fill my time, so don't miss work at all (except the pay check )
    I downsized last year so empathise with all in the process now.
    I look forward to more of your exploits
    Minihauk x
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 19th Sep 18, 12:09 PM
    • 9,241 Posts
    • 59,370 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Minihauk, I am sure you will have things of interest to contribute. How do you fill your days since retiring? And has the downsizing been successful?
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge November 6/15
    • Minihauk
    • By Minihauk 19th Sep 18, 1:31 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    Minihauk
    Minihauk, I am sure you will have things of interest to contribute. How do you fill your days since retiring? And has the downsizing been successful?
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Hi Nargleblast.
    I moved to be closer to dd and now live 5 mins away. She and sil come in for dinner a couple of times a week, and I spend a few hours a week doing their laundry, etc as they both work long hours (no children yet)
    I am a line dancer so go to class 2 or 3 times a week and sometimes weekends away. I like to read so indulge myself. I also meet up with friends/relatives for coffee/lunch each week.
    Time just seems to fly
    I'm not sure any of this will interest any of you though
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 19th Sep 18, 2:12 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 32,902 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Just sending you hugs Burtha (and Karma vibes to 3MW!)
    V3ry - 389.60
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 19th Sep 18, 4:08 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 23,880 Thanks
    csarina2
    Hi Nargleblast.
    I moved to be closer to dd and now live 5 mins away. She and sil come in for dinner a couple of times a week, and I spend a few hours a week doing their laundry, etc as they both work long hours (no children yet)
    I am a line dancer so go to class 2 or 3 times a week and sometimes weekends away. I like to read so indulge myself. I also meet up with friends/relatives for coffee/lunch each week.
    Time just seems to fly
    I'm not sure any of this will interest any of you though
    Originally posted by Minihauk
    Of course we are interested we are all nosy devils on here!!!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 19th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 119,524 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Originally posted by csarina2
    ^ ^ ^ Wot she said!
    Welcome, Minihauk.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 19th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 13,026 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all, long time no "see" !
    I have just returned from holiday, well on Monday and have been trying to catch up on your news. Gosh you lot can chat .
    Sadly I have started to pack up the caravan stuff for another year , I hope the time between now and May goes as quickly as the summer did.
    It feels quite wintery here this afternoon but I managed to wash and almost dry 3 loads of washing before the heavens opened. I shall have to finish it off indoors so my upstairs now looks like wishy washy's laundry on speed . The next dry day is supposed to be Friday and the washing basket is still full .
    I was glad to see Burtha back posting but I'm not very enamoured with 3mw, what a piece of work he is
    Minihauk I don't post much but I love reading about other peoples lives, boring or not !
    Hope everyone stays safe and well during this storm,. Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • burtha
    • By burtha 20th Sep 18, 4:41 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 6,858 Thanks
    burtha
    Morning all,
    Thank you x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 20th Sep 18, 6:13 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 54,142 Thanks
    monnagran
    burtha lovey, thank you for posting. That's all it takes. We just need to see your name crop up so that we know you haven't forgotten us.

Hope you are finding crumbs of comfort here and there. x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 20th Sep 18, 10:48 AM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 64,293 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Originally posted by csarina2
    Exactly! Welcome, minihauk

Glad to see you posting, burtha, so we know you're there x

welcome back nannywindow! Hope you enjoyed your holiday.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 20-09-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 20th Sep 18, 1:52 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 13,026 Thanks
    nannywindow
    It is such an awful day, bucketing down with rain and freezing cold, that I have put the heating on . It's only on low but at least it will finish off drying the clothes which are draped everywhere and warm up the bathroom so that we can bathe/ shower without shivering this evening !

Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,677Posts Today

8,231Users online

Martin's Twitter