Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,598Posts
    • 32,860Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 475
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Aug 18, 11:43 AM
    • 15,244 Posts
    • 147,906 Thanks
    mardatha
    Bucketing down rain here- nothing worse in this life than a wet Sunday in Scotland.............
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 25,922 Thanks
    Slinky
    Bucketing down rain here- nothing worse in this life than a wet Sunday in Scotland.............
    Originally posted by mardatha

I can't vouch for the life in Scotland having never visited, but wet Sundays from my childhood were never made better by having dreary Charles Dickens programmes on TV. At least you've got t'internet now and probably more TV channels than you'll ever watch!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Aug 18, 12:45 PM
    • 10,829 Posts
    • 119,123 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Wondercollie ouch - I hope it heals soon.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 16,844 Posts
    • 46,499 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yep...I've had to have ingrown toenail sorted on both feet - quite a few years back now.

He just removed a sliver from one side of each toenail concerned and that was it = sorted and back to normal.

I was worried what my feet would look like - but it didnt take long and my toenails all looked normal again. In fact I got a compliment on having attractive feet recently - and I'll still wear flip-flops (if the weather is warm enough) to show off my feet.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 5,880 Posts
    • 63,918 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Mardatha i'm sure a wet Sunday in Wales runs it pretty close
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 12,702 Posts
    • 175,830 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks EMPTYNESTER I'll bear that in mind, you up that way too?

I know it's prohibited to use the 'C' word in August but I've been chucking two pounds a week plus any odd pound coins I've still got in my purse at the end of the housekeeping week into a jar to use for food at Christmas and I had a count up this morning and I've 83 in there already. By the time we hit December I'll have enough for all I need without having to hit the bank balance too hard, that's a nice feeling. I'm thinking that this year I'll buy a nice piece of beef rib on the bone as that's really nice sliced cold for sandwiches etc. after Christmas day, I can't remember the last time I saw rib on the bone in any of the supermarkets but luckily there is a good independent butcher in our new market town so I'm hopeful of being able to source a good joint there. I'm only thinking Christmas as I've this morning packed all the decorations, lights and the Christmas tree ready to move, you'll have to forgive me!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,639 Thanks
    Floss
    Mrs LW 28-day aged forerib is our joint of choice for Christmas - a good balance of well-done/medium/rare for everyone's preference and it freezes well too
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 12th Aug 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Our butcher usually does boned and rolled rib but will do rib on the bone if we order it. I might order a joint this Christmas. there will probably only be three of us and I'm the only one who really likes turkey. I can always have my fill of turkey at all the Christmas lunches for the various groups I seem to have joined .
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 49,665 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Piddling down whilst moving along the canal can also be miserable especially when CHS has been brought up to believe that if he gets wet by rain, he will catch a chill, that will immediately turn in to pneumonia and then he will DIE!!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 12,702 Posts
    • 175,830 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You temptress VEGPATCH you've sussed out the way into Mar's good books, Heffalump sized shrimps, jelly babies the same and whopping big chocolate camels and she won't even notice there's a world outside let alone what the weather is doing. You may just be a GENIUS!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mumf
    • By mumf 12th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    mumf
    Mrs LW if you ever need to rely on supermarket deliveries I can vouch for the Tesco deliveries that come from the stores in Gloucester. I have needed to use a delivery service for the last couple of years and Tesco have been very good. On the rare occasion that there has been a problem their customer service has sorted it out quickly.
    In an attempt to reduce my bill I am currently trialing Asda. I've only had one delivery from them so it's far to early to compare. If they fall short I will go back to Tesco because they have given me good service.
    Originally posted by Emptynester
    We have gone back to Tesco delivery,from Asda.Asda went back to 2 hour slots with no notice,and the service has been very poor.Tesco is a little dearer,but the drivers are prompt,courteous and smart.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 78,694 Thanks
    VJsmum
    And the best thing of all is that it isn't raining, despite the forecast last week and looks set to stay dry.
    Originally posted by VJsmum

They lied - we're soaked....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,639 Thanks
    Floss

They lied - we're soaked....
    Have you got chance to change before getting your train? Not many things worse than sitting on a bus/train in wet walking kit...
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 49,554 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Wet here too mar but I've had a very pleasant afternoon at a 'meet the baby' do, the family live in Hong Kong so invited friends and family to an afternoon tea. Some wine may have been taken as DD was the driver!

I cleared all the bean plants from the allotment, they have finished now and I have loads in the freezer, I think the courgette plants will go tomorrow - they have been amazing. I'm really enjoying eating seasonally, maybe it reminds me of when I was a child.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 15,244 Posts
    • 147,906 Thanks
    mardatha
    The only shrimps I eat are the wee pink foam ones at 40p from Sainsbugs. I'm allergic to seafood lol, it makes me puke!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Aug 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 78,694 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Have you got chance to change before getting your train? Not many things worse than sitting on a bus/train in wet walking kit...
    Originally posted by Floss
    My top half was ok due to my cagoule, bottom half dried quickly... but was soaked before we could even get waterproof trousers on.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,639 Thanks
    Floss
    My top half was ok due to my cagoule, bottom half dried quickly... but was soaked before we could even get waterproof trousers on.
    Been there...hi-tech kit is fine but my undies don't dry as quick as my trousers...
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 12th Aug 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 9,192 Thanks
    wondercollie
    The only shrimps I eat are the wee pink foam ones at 40p from Sainsbugs. I'm allergic to seafood lol, it makes me puke!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Adds this to list of things to look for and try in October!

Thanks for the good wishes. My podiatrist killed the nail roots with chemical. My nail was so badly damaged that it will just regrow the same way and cause the same problem down the road. I took Ballet until I was 15 and the pointe shoes damaged my feet, combine that with having my toes broken a couple of times at work (run over by an OR stretcher and then a demented patient who liked to run over nurses feet with his wheelchair) and my feet resemble those of an 80 yo according to the bone density scan.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    MMF007
    Been there...hi-tech kit is fine but my undies don't dry as quick as my trousers...
    Originally posted by Floss

I am just contemplating which waterproof coat to take to the Alps. I don't really want to take my heavy-weight one but it is the sensible option. I hate overtrousers and gave them up years ago, on the basis that you get wet inside from sweat if you wear them (or is that just me?!).

This afto we did a bit of research about my grandad who was an engineer involved with building the engines for Wellington aircraft. He flew them on test flights in WWII so the initial glitches could be put right before they were delivered to the RAF. He was too old to fight but I think it was pretty brave to make the first flight in a brand new aircraft that had been built in a hurry! We are going to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford in Autumn so I wanted more info before we see the airshow that is commemorating the 100th anniversary of the RAF and hopefully see a Wellington in the museum.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 25,922 Thanks
    Slinky
    Seeing the mention of the C word, we've just eaten turkey curry with the last of the turkey from last Christmas! It needed shifting out of the freezer. One more small portion left for me to eat in the week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,706Posts Today

7,850Users online

Martin's Twitter