Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,559Posts
    • 32,621Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 474
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 11th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 7,408 Thanks
    Doveling
    Hello, I'm back and nearly mended

I have a delicious bottle of Forest gin.... well there's a bit left

Anything exciting happening?
    Will read back but it looks as though I will have to tread carefully and take a shovel and poo bags.
    Where on earth have all these animals come from? Last time I looked there was just one elephant!
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • Witless
    • By Witless 11th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 3,565 Thanks
    Witless
    I wonder how many other of us feel like we're being rooked by the retailers?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Or the guvmint?

They tell me inflation is 3% or less when increasing my pension but when I check my expenditure Excel tells me differently.

unleaded petrol
    14/08/17 1.139 per litre
    6/09/17 1.149 per litre

On Thursday in local bigger town it was 1.319 - no, not a typo!

3% my 4rse.

Sorry - rant over: I'm away to doze in the background.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 35,038 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Welcome back Doveling, don't worry about all the animals, Mardatha has... thinned the herd.

MrsLW, I worked out a bit back how much ordinary yoghurt I'd have to strain to get greek and it didn't work out for me here, but prices on milk may be different there. It's a bit different for us now since we buy a lactose free greek yoghurt that doesn't have thickeners, and there's only 1 brand.

Prices never cease to astonish me, they can shoot up here literally overnight. One day avocados are 2 for $3, the next day they're $2.50 each... and it's the same bloody pile of avocados. Don't even get me started on the rest. My husband grimaces when I climb up on that particular soap box! I think the problem isn't so much how prices are going up, but it's how for most of us income is staying the same or decreasing. Previously, both went up a bit as time went on.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Aug 18, 11:31 AM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 40,763 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Thanks for the links Softstuff I will save them for when I have got to the weight I want to be. Have been doing this way of eating for about 6 weeks and have lost over a stone, I can now see a glimmer of a waist A long way to go, but it's a start

The Red Arrows and fireworks were great last night, it was like the clouds parted just in time

Hubby is making Chicken Kiev for dinner, one of his signature dishes, with salad for me and some new potatoes for him.

Enjoy your weekend all x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 11th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Mrs LW I wonder if they are 'price matching' Aldi. Their authentic is 1.39/500gr. We have a friend whose job it used to be to go to all the SM and buy a list of different items each week. This was then used to set the prices for the SM he worked for. It was one of the two German discounters but I'm not sure I'm allowed to say who. He said they all follow each other in loops.

I always find it interesting what gets included in the 'inflation basket.'
    • Squiggly Diddly
    • By Squiggly Diddly 11th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 15,093 Thanks
    Squiggly Diddly
    Welcome Vegpatch and Donkey (I love donkeys)

Squiggly Diddly How lovely to see you, I always enjoyed your posts! it sounds as if RL has been extremely busy for you. Are you still doing what I will refer to as your very enjoyable rhythmic hobby?
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Gosh, how well remembered ivyleaf Yes, RL has been a bit manic and although I am glad I have been back to Uni, retrained & done a year of teaching (many aspects of which I loved), the balance tipped too far that I felt I had no life or time at all. So I about to embark on a 6 month contract as a lecturer (in my previous career!!) at one of the unis I trained at. Exciting and terrifying

I am no longer being rhythmic , another casualty of the lack of time but I do keep in touch. I am rediscovering sewing and cooking, and working on my project of a house. I may return to it as I come back down to Earth a bit.

My trip along the coast today has been delayed by traffic holdups on the main road for a vintage fair so waiting for things to ease up. I think many people are discovering the delights of returning to simpler ways of living but the consequence is that they jam up the roads...
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!)

• Floss
    • By Floss 11th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4,878 Posts
    • 45,284 Thanks
    Floss
    ...The Red Arrows and fireworks were great last night, it was like the clouds parted just in time!...
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    We've got our Air Show this weekend, fireworks tonight & Red Arrows to close tomorrow
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 25,309 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've just been to the Co-Op for some fruit and got a shock when I got the usual own brand fat free Greek yoghurt that I normally get from them, in the past couple of months the price has gone up from 1, to 1.05., to 1.15 and today it's up to 1.35p now I know we're having problems because of the weather and the heat which might account for some of it but I wonder how high it has to go before people stop buying it? I'm close to it now as it's a 500ml tub and I can probably make my own plain but not Greek yoghurt for much less than that and then strain it to get the Greek consistency. I wonder how many other of us feel like we're being rooked by the retailers?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

Do you have a decent sized Tesco near you? The kilo packs of Greek yogurt are 1.55. I buy the full fat version. The yogurt is much nicer in the kilo packs than the 500g ones, it's way way thicker. Sainsbury's is 1.90 for the kilo pack which I think may come from the same supplier. They usually have a good long date on them.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 62,137 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Squiggly I probably only remembered because OH and I were down your way a few years ago and saw them performing on the seafront , and then you mentioned it in a post not long afterwards.
    I remember thinking that they must all be as high as kites (in a good way!) by the time they'd finished, am I right?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi Slinky, we do have a very large Tesco in the area but no bus to it from the village so the only one I can get to is a smaller and very expensive branch that stocks the 'finest range' and not the budget one. The Greek yoghurt I buy is the fat free one we try to stay low fat and sugar free if at all possible. I'm just surprised at the speed at which the Co-Op has put the price up and it's the only shop in the village other than a very tiny One Stop so unless I go on the bus I have little choice where to shop. We do occasionally drive to the big Tesco but He Who Knows is allergic to shopping in a very 'man' way so I try to do it all myself and I don't drive. I know there are worse things in the world than 35p on the price of a pack of yoghurt so I mustn't moan must I?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 25,309 Thanks
    Slinky
    If you can get to the big Tesco, the low fat one is the same price as the full fat.

Perhaps if you can persuade OH that for 20p more you can get twice as much, the effort of a visit to the big shop may not seem so much of a chore for him.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lovely theory BUT I know him better than that! maybe if I bribe him with a coffee in the restaurant he might be OK about it. Thanks very much for the heads up, I'll see if I can get him to take me one day in the week.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 11th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 9,141 Posts
    • 58,593 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Mrs LW Have you tried doing an online order for delivery? If you have a lot of stuff to get, it saves a lot of time and stress - you just need to plan ahead a little, decide what day you want the stuff delivered and book your delivery slot. I prefer to shop myself for fruit and veg, but all the store cupboard and fridge/freezer/household stuff can be ordered online. Most of the supermarkets do it now.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've tried online deliveries but everything I got was short use by date and without exception from Tesco every tin was badly dented so I don't bother with them now it's better to go myself. The problem will go away to a certain extent when we move as the small town we're moving to has a decent selection of shops and Gloucester itself has very big Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons, Lidl and Aldi stores and there is a really good Waitrose in Cheltenham so I'll be able to access all of them on the bus or get him to drive me in and drop me and come home on the bus, will make such a difference.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Aug 18, 8:35 PM
    • 15,135 Posts
    • 146,460 Thanks
    mardatha
    I couldn't manage without Sainsbugs online home delivery, seriously. I did try Asda but they were always late, stuff was out of stock or with stupid substitutes, etc. so I went back to Sainsbugs. Never had a single problem with them yet.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Aug 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 35,038 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Thanks for the links Softstuff I will save them for when I have got to the weight I want to be. Have been doing this way of eating for about 6 weeks and have lost over a stone, I can now see a glimmer of a waist A long way to go, but it's a start
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Huge congratulations for that weight loss. A stone is a huge amount of weight, when I'd lost that I lined up the equivalent in weight in groceries on the dining table. Quite motivating! I'm afraid though, that I included cake from the beginning.... even if I skipped a meal to keep the calories down
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Aug 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 29,510 Thanks
    MMF007
    Completely random report - this morning I tried a hair treatment I haven't done for ages and it worked well. I used a foaming tea tree face wash on all but the ends of my hair, rubbing it into dry hair, smoothed a little argan oil onto the ends, then washed all off at once with fairly hot water.

My hair smells lovely and is very clean and shiny. It feels really silky

Softstuff, I will check out those recipes 'cos I am planning a cake (or more likely a traybake) that I can take on a family picnic at the end of Sept. My low carb desserts are confined to 85% dark chocolate or sugar-free jelly or rhubarb with cream atm

Well done Islandmaid, that's great!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Aug 18, 11:09 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 35,038 Thanks
    Softstuff
    MMF, I would never have thought to do that that with face wash. Interesting.

I serve the cake with blueberries (I use frozen and defrost them) or fresh strawberries and double cream (or in my husbands case, lactose free cream cheese). Even those folk extremely skeptical of this way of eating love that cake.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 12th Aug 18, 12:32 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 9,054 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Delurking to say, your yoghurt prices are cheap! Our greek yogurt is usually $3.33 for four 100 gram pots or the 1.75 kilo tub is $13.90.

I don't understand how they price things. They jump from week to week.

All I've got to add is ingrown toenail removed. Hurts like hades. Finally wore shoes for the first time in two weeks. The rest of the time has been the ultra fashionable crocs.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 12th Aug 18, 5:29 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 10,642 Thanks
    shanks77
    Delurking to say, your yoghurt prices are cheap! Our greek yogurt is usually $3.33 for four 100 gram pots or the 1.75 kilo tub is $13.90.

I don't understand how they price things. They jump from week to week.

All I've got to add is ingrown toenail removed. Hurts like hades. Finally wore shoes for the first time in two weeks. The rest of the time has been the ultra fashionable crocs.
    Originally posted by wondercollie
    Ow speedy recovery Wondercollie xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin