Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,559Posts
    • 32,621Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 472
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 10th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,193 Thanks
    fuddle
    Buttermilk can be replaced with yoghurt in most recipes I've had Fuddle, can you get goats yoghurt?
    Originally posted by Softstuff
    Ican! I'm going to try it now. Fingers crossed

Monna! You sound in the bestest (I know, you can tell me off as its not a word ) mood. Keep on enjoying your company and the music.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 10th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,956 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Fuddle I agree with softstuff, yoghurt made from goats milk is the way to go. You'll want the acid to make the bread recipe work.
    • Vegpatch
    • By Vegpatch 10th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Vegpatch
    Thanks Monnagran, Glad to hear your brother is doing well.

I am waiting in for a parcel today, and it's status says "Scan to trunk" Maybe the Heffalump is bringing it?
    Have a good weekend everyone and thanks again,
    Vegpatch
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    FUDDLE you can make a buttermilk replacement from any of the nut milks or soya milk by adding lemon juice or cider vinegar to it and leaving it to curdle for 10 minutes.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 10,735 Posts
    • 118,078 Thanks
    LameWolf
    A belated Welcome to Vegpatch and Squiggly.
    I usually only get here once a day, and lately that's only for a very short time (RL is being a pain in the posterior right now).

Ooh a Donkey!! I love donkeys, so if you need any help looking after it, let me know.

Right, that's me done for today; I have a "meet'n'greet" visit from a new Canine guest with his human on Sunday, and I need to get the midden bungalow fit to be seen.... Next up, scrub the loo. Ooh, my favourite task! (NOT).
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 10th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 10,642 Thanks
    shanks77
    Welcome to the lurkers now you have "shown" your faces you can't go back to hiding anymore
    Sounds like you are having fun Monna
    Must be very exciting times for you MrsLW not long to go
    Hope things went well today Mar and you are not in so much pain.
    Working tonight so better do some constructive things in preparation xxx
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 10th Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,193 Thanks
    fuddle
    Thank you softstuff and fpk. It's worked, out of the oven and I'm eating a slice before it's fully cooled. I can add seeds or dried fruits and cinnamon. My spuggies are having a treat of chocolate spread on theirs, it's melting and they are coooing! You have made such a difference to my life. I can make this, the girls and DH can make it if I can't and we have bread that won't make me suffer. I've been searching for something like this for a long, long time. Forget OO7 softstuff, this is godlike!

Lyn to you too. I had no idea that I could use almond and oat milk like that. The gaps in my knowledge are being filled in all the time. This is especially useful because if it came to it and I couldn't access or afford goat milk I could make my own oat milk (which I suspect is what I will do in the end trying to cut costs and be more self sustainable) and then make my own bread with that too. So much to play about with!

It's all falling into place as well because I wanted to make my own mozzeralla and ricotta from goat milk but have resisted because I couldn't bare to waste the whey. I've found that whey is perfect for soaking grains in (another tummy trouble for me!) because it aid fermenting, mimicking the natural environment of the grain as it starts to break down, throwing off its outer shell.

You know I've been lacklustre of late? This has ignited my love for learning and doing in the home again. You're all just priceless.
    Be like a tree.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 31,426 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Welcome vegpatch & Suiggly Diddly.

Did everyone have an early night last night?I wanted to but RL had other ideas.

DS came to dinner yesterday, he was here about 4 hours. I don't know how he managed to eat his dinner he talked none stop. I never got chance to ask him what I wanted to ask him.

While he was here an email came in from Virgin Media. I was furious. They had signed me up for a new contract!?!? don't panic don't panic.

I ceased to be their customer nearly two weeks ago they cut me off early.

It took two and a half hours to get anyone to look at my account. I could not give them my account number I no longer have one, They don't agree with me about my password and will not let me change it without me telling they what they have decided was my mothers maiden name because they don't agree with me about that either. It was their complete lack of any customer service that made me change. As well as it being far too expensive.

I can't remember what department I eventually spoke to, I never knew they had one. She said I was not a customer any more and no one had opened a new account in my name. Well you could have fooled me the email is covered in their logo and came from their email address. I asked for it in writing but have not got anything yet. Still a bit worried. I don't want to be paying for two lots of broadband.

Thanks for listening.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 11,472 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Monna glad you are having a lovely time, although I have been missing your thought for today. Good to see that's back too

Hi to all the newcomers I'm more of a dipper inner and outer as this lot can talk, a whole lot, so that by time I've finished my post they are on to another subject . I also love donkeys and always make a point of visiting the sanctuary in Devon when on my hols. I've already been once this year and as we are heading back down in Sept, I shall just have to go again . They have also built a new coffee shop too, so I must try one of their cakes with my coffee . You know, just in case they are stale or summat !
    I'm having a day off for the Queen today and doing sweet nothing . Can't make me, can you ? I did pop to town to put a cheque in the bank reasonably early this morning ( well early for me anyway ) as some numpty decided to knock our door. Not only was it the wrong house, but also the wrong street .

Sending hugs to anyone that needs one or two.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 15,135 Posts
    • 146,460 Thanks
    mardatha
    OOOOOOh I love donkeys :

ooooops goodness me, however did that smiley get in here???
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 49,029 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    We've reached CAKE, sorry I mean we've reached Crofton, where there is a cafe that sells cake, I have coffee and walnut, yummy.
    We didn't moor at Wilcot as it was too shallow so we moved on to Wootton Rivers, today I've done 9 locks, one tunnel and 3 rain showers.
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 10-08-2018 at 4:37 PM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 31,426 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Lovely Hester you deserve that after 9 locks.

Glad you are enjoying you holiday with your brother Monna. You sounded down before you left I expect that was not liking the journey. The best way to go anywhere is someone to drive you an comfortable car and sleep all the way.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 40,763 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi newbies

Monna sounds like you are having a fab time, are you musical too? I have an image of a cosy lounge with you all around the piano, singing along

Mardatha We'd end up with a wonky donkey if you got your way x

Hester nice to hear you have had a rest day x

And please, please stop talking about cake, I am low carbing and miss it
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 15,135 Posts
    • 146,460 Thanks
    mardatha
    Me too Islandmaid, re low carb. It makes you think about it all the time eh...
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 40,763 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Me too Islandmaid, re low carb. It makes you think about it all the time eh...
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I don't help myself, have been watching British Bake off reruns this afternoon, drooling all the way

I am sure chicken and chorizo for dinner will taste just like cake
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I don't get the whole cake thing, which makes me sad and we went for a cuppa this afternoon at one of the garden centres after we'd picked up more boxes from the removals firm and even faced with all sorts of cakes in various degrees of decadent...I still had a cheese scone, I always have a cheese scone because I DO like those! xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 4,878 Posts
    • 45,284 Thanks
    Floss
    MrsLW I'm with you on cheese scones - when they can be found!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 10th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,193 Thanks
    fuddle
    I eat cake. I don't go mad for cake. The cheese scone has to be slathered in butter for me though and that's VVVV baaaad. I like chocolate. I can behave like a child if there's the possibility of having chocolate but for some reason I can't quite have it yet. I can, and do, display tantrums short of hammering on the floor

Lyn I made oat milk. Super easy. I sweetened with a little vanilla extract. Kids are up for it so at least it will be used in porridge porridge too. It will save on the shopping budget actually. I'll try splitting it when I make another Lammas. I'm very happy and I have oat soaked water to put in my bath water tonight and the pulp to add to porridge in the morning. No waste
    Be like a tree.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Who needs asses milk when you can bathe in porridge?

To make the buttermilk it's 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 9 fl oz of plant milk.

I made oat milk and liked it very much the only thing to know is it separates out on standing so you have to give it a really good shake before you use it and it doesn't keep in the fridge for more than a couple of days so don't make too big a quantity each time. As you say it's so easy so you can make it every day rather than make gallons at a time.

If you want it I've a really good method for making cashew nut cream that can be sweet or savoury which I'll gladly share if it's any use?
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Aug 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 40,763 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    As many of you know, I have Thermomix. Not OS in the traditional way, they aren't cheap, but one of the main reasons I bought one (well, DH bought me one) was due to alternative diets, I have real issues with wheat, 2 of my kids have issues with dairy, so the ability to make my own alternative milks and flours was important - this is in no way a sales pitch, as I am sure there are many alternative ways to make these things, but I love Jo from Quirky Cooking, as she produces food the way I cook https://www.quirkycooking.com.au/substitutes-recipe-conversions/dairy/

It gives many alternatives to traditional recipe ingredients.

My cake of choice by the way is lemon polenta cake, but as I am low carbing, that's off the menu till I loose the 2 stone I put on after giving up smoking
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,003Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin