Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,552Posts
    • 32,612Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 471
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Aug 18, 5:26 PM
    • 15,135 Posts
    • 146,448 Thanks
    mardatha
    I suppose it hasn't helped that I was working fulltime nights until I was 55, and I lived a good 40 mins bus journey away from my daughter.
    MrsL I can remember being dumped on my dad's family when I was 4/5. My mum had to have a big operation and I had to stay with my granny then my aunty for ages. I remember nobody ever cuddled me or put an arm around me when I cried for my mum lol. Still yet, at the age of 68!
    EDITED- lol I mean I still remember it, not that I still cry for her!
    Last edited by mardatha; 09-08-2018 at 8:01 PM.
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 9th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1,621 Posts
    • 19,792 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    I always remember that my 2 great-aunts were much better at doing stuff with me and my sisters (despite those lovely ladies never having had their own littlies) than either of our grandmas - the grannies just didn't "get" children - even when theirs were kids, by all accounts! I remember being taken for a week to my paternal gran when I was about 9 or 10 - hated every single minute and bawled my eyes out until dad came for me. She was an absolute witch, only wanted us there so she could show off to the neighbours! Apologies to those of who who are, or have had, lovely grannies - I feel grateful that I had the great aunts to compensate!

My in-laws had passed away when DD29 was just a toddler, so our kids never knew those grandparents, mine were around a lot longer, and we only lost my mum 2 years ago. My parents were ace grands - my mum loved doing things with each grandchild individually, my dad was rather cheeky with them all - very blessed!

A xo
    Aug '18 GC 23/350
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 12,489 Posts
    • 173,470 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I don't remember any cuddles either Mar, it was a different age in a different world. What I do remember is being totally scared of the dark, my aunt ran a country pub in a small village that didn't have street lighting and the pub didn't have either electricity or mains gas or water so I had to go to bed by oil lamp which was blown out as soon as I was between the sheets, they cooked on an 'oil' (paraffin) range and the water was from the outside well, in the garden with the privy and earth bucket loo outside. Not good when you're 4!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Aug 18, 6:06 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,192 Thanks
    fuddle
    No cuddles from mam but I knew she loved me... she bought me chocolate.

My grandparents were canny on both sides. My Dad's Dad was dominant I think.i was only little when he died but I remember being a bit fearful of him. My other grandad was sarcastic but funny. He watched and took everything in, saying very little. I remember him saying that I was the only.grandchild that ever said please and thank you. My OS grandma (his wife) was lovely but a bit of a martyr in terms of being a housewife on repeat. My other grandma went to tea dances,volunteered etc and had a different outlook but she lost her way due to grief (my dad) in the end. My aunties were either wracked with bitterness,jealousy or the two on my dad's side disappeared - they were all about when I was a child though. I had a good chdhood up to ten but I will always remember my mm getting angry at me for rushing to the window when dad came home from work. She had looked after me all day. She deserved the happiness and excitement. I can see where she got her martyrdom from and I can see the narcissistic ways looking back. Bless her. We're all a bit flawed e?
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Aug 18, 6:17 PM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 49,019 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I always made it clear that I wouldn't do full time babysitting but would help out if needed.
    When DD2 was offered her dream job she discussed with me what was needed and how much I would do before accepting the job. One of the reasons I agreed to help was because there is a time limit, dgd starts school in a year and then I will be surplus to requirements.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Vegpatch
    • By Vegpatch 10th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Vegpatch
    You know that feeling from long ago when you were waiting outside the headmistress's office? Or more like the first day at big school. Hopping from one leg to another wondering what was going to be said, would anybody speak to you, where would you sit , would they like you?
    Well that's me this morning making my first post on the Garden Fence. Anyway here goes.

I am a long time lurker on Old Style (used to be a poster several years ago, just life got in the way), and really respect all of you on the fence.! You are all fab. I made a mistake last week and tried to register on the Emergency fence first, and wasn't approved (user name Silver), so please accept my apologies for going around things the wrong way, story of my life really. I hate all forms of bullying, trolls and all that, and have never reported anyone, it was not me, just to clear that up.

Oh help, now they really won't speak to me. Quickly jumps into the shed beside the fence to hide.

What do I do now? Might as well tidy up, and wash the cups.

All tidy now, I will just leave a note about the lost property and maybe someone will be in later.

Lost property.
    One tin of canal lock oil might be useful?
    One rather miffed person snoozing in the corner who woke up suddenly and said her name is nursie?

I come in peace, with a stash of hoover bags, teabags, and a virtual grey jerusalem donkey called Donkey.
    Have left the kettle on and put a tin of retro sweets (fruit salad, rhoobarb and custards and refreshers etc.) on the side
    Bye for now,
    Vegpatch
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 10th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,953 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Welcome Veg patch! While you're welcome to stay in the shed if you like (please don't wake nursie!!!! ) I'd suggest you sidle up to the fence. We don't bite (well, Mar will definitely bite Donkey...)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 12,489 Posts
    • 173,470 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We have a DONKEY? Hoorah!!! does he get along with heffalumps, dragons and camels and possibly alpacas? life gets more and more interesting on this fence!

Welcome aboard Vegpatch and Donkey lovely to have you with us and joining in the banter not just following. Retro sweeties eh? for goodness sake get a safe to keep them in or our Scots contingent will disappear them before you can say 'Oi', I'm partial to Pontefract Cakes myself so if any of those are lurking you'll need an extra strong lock on that safe!

By gosh it's cooler today down here, He Who Knows has gone off with his pal to annoy the fish population in the local lake and I'm packing boxes. I've just gone through the smallest freezer and made space for all the meat and fish from the big one we're going to freecycle next week so all that's in the big one now is fruit and veg, mainly home done that will be able to go on the compost heap (way too much to finish in a fortnight) when we turn off the old freezer. The lounge has developed an echo because it's almost empty just left with 2 armchairs and footstools, 1 dining room table and 4 chairs the TV on a stand and 1 small sideboard and a couple of box mountains, it's a big old room when the furniture's not in it, I'd forgotten that!

Our buyer was in contact yesterday and kindly said she's not moving in on the 29th so if we over run time wise loading the removal van she's happy with that which is nice of her so it's amicable relations which is always better than fraught isn't it? we'll need to be away by lunchtime at the latest though as we've a 2 1/2 hour journey to the new house and have to collect our keys from the estate agent at the other end, I'm getting quite excited about it all but somehow it still feels like I'll wake up any minute and find it's all been a dream, strange feeling! xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Squiggly Diddly
    • By Squiggly Diddly 10th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 15,088 Thanks
    Squiggly Diddly
    Another lurker here - I have done the same as you VegPatch!! (I wasn!!!8217;t sure if I was supposed to mention the other here or who to contact to say I!!!8217;d registered there...).

I used to post regularly on the daily although life (work) took over. I did post here & there on other OS threads occasionally, including the sewing one, but again life became only work and sleep. I love reading the garden fence, often find myself having a giggle at your adventures or admiring the strength among you all.

I have 3 adult daughters, the only one who was still living here has just gone off to Australia for a year or so, and I have just left the job I went back to university to retrain for 2 years ago (teacher) to instead find more of a work/life balance and earn more money.
    I moved house to downsize the mortgage a few months ago - it was a project - and so find myself now living alone for the first time in my life, with work still to be done on the house, starting a new job on Monday and a determination to get back to cooking, sewing, decluttering and just having a life!!

I am looking forward to contributing rather than just lurking....
    Last edited by Squiggly Diddly; 10-08-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!)

• Vegpatch
    • By Vegpatch 10th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Vegpatch
    Thank you very much for the welcome. You don't know how much it is appreciated. (Ok I admit I cried a little. Get a grip Vegpatch)
    Good luck for Monday Squiggly and good luck to everyone moving.
    Really glad another lurker has joined in too.

Donkey is looking forward to getting to know the other animals, but is a little worried if carrots go short next year.
    Am off now to google sweetie safes - someone must make them.
    Thank you.
    • Litha
    • By Litha 10th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Litha
    Good morning Fencers :-)
    Welcome to Veg Patch and Squiddly Diddly, hello, I am fairly new here myself. I am also a former long term user of MSE who couldn't remember their password and just decided to make a new and shiny profile :-)
    You have reminded me that I must contribute more and not just read along with other folk's adventures.
    I am leaving for work shortly ( I have had lots of extra work with the European Championships currently taking place in Glasgow, happy days! )
    Love and glitter to everyone <3
    Linda x
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have
    • Litha
    • By Litha 10th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Litha
    I almost forgot the reason I am on here this morning. I was looking for the link to the Emergency Fence but cannot find it.
    Help a mad, bad purple wearing person out please?
    L x
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    • 12,489 Posts
    • 173,470 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi SQUIGGLY DIDDLEY welcome in to you too, it's always really nice when folks who have only read along decide they like us well enough to join the family, specially good if you find yourself with 'extra' time on your hands because circumstances change at home. We're here 24/7 because we've pals all over the planet who join in so there's usually someone to chat to even in the wee small hours so hopefully we'll be able to fill the gaps as it were xxx.
    • Squiggly Diddly
    • By Squiggly Diddly 10th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 15,088 Thanks
    Squiggly Diddly
    Hi SQUIGGLY DIDDLEY welcome in to you too, it's always really nice when folks who have only read along decide they like us well enough to join the family, specially good if you find yourself with 'extra' time on your hands because circumstances change at home. We're here 24/7 because we've pals all over the planet who join in so there's usually someone to chat to even in the wee small hours so hopefully we'll be able to fill the gaps as it were xxx.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Thank you - I can be somewhat of an insomniac so often having an early hours browse... I notice Monnagran & Softstuff are usually about then as well
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!)

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 28,859 Thanks
    LaineyT
    I have a summer weight jumper on.....and jeans
    We had a lot of rain yesterday and the garden is already looking better with green grass replacing the burnt straw, lovely.
    Welcome to the new posters, I am very lax at posting myself but do keep up and flit between this & the dark side
    Ooh a donkey, being a lover of all things equine am so pleased to see a donkey.
    Fab news on your buyer Lyn, anything to keep things less fraught is good.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 49,019 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Welcome Vegpatch & Squiggly and Mar, you are not allowed to eat the donkey, I love donkeys.
    It's lashing down here and we have tied up on the lock landing, big no no, but it's that or drown.

So whilst I'm away, I loaned DD2 my car, I leave it on her drive and she is insured to drive it, as the weather has been very hot she and her DH decided to take their kids to the sea side, they used my car as it has aircon.
    On the return journey they had to call the AA as the car was making a strange noise, it seems the wheel nuts had worked lose and 3 were missing!!

DD2 & DS2 who is a mechanic are now sorting it all out for me.
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 10-08-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 35,025 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Thank you - I can be somewhat of an insomniac so often having an early hours browse... I notice Monnagran & Softstuff are usually about then as well
    Originally posted by Squiggly Diddly
    I was busy shaking my butt off zumbaing, but welcome! Welcome too Vegpatch

LaineyT, my hubby caught sight of your post with the words "summer weight jumper". It gave him a bit of a chuckle, after all, being Aussie, there's only one weight of jumper and you sure as heck wouldn't wear it in summer!

And there is no such thing as a Mardatha impregnable sweetie safe. She goes all mission impossible for sweeties, rapells in, hovering over lasers, all dressed in black.... it's a terrifying sight, will someone think of the donkey
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 10th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,192 Thanks
    fuddle
    Welcome squiggly diddly and veg patch.

I'm after some OS knowledge today. OK...

Lammas bread. Easy peasey and lovely. Flour, buttermilk and bicarb (or baking powder I will have to look it up again to be sure)

I have spelt flour. Check. But buttermilk I can only find from cows. I can't find goats butter milk and I can't even get goats cream from Tesco with my deliveries. (remember I now don't drive, can only walk to a small town, anything else is multiple buses and not cost effective)

So I wondered if I could make cream from goats milk? If so, how do I do it.

The reason I want to use Lammas bread more often is because its simply a case of assemble, mix, shape and bake. It's the perfect ill person's bread for me if, probably, I get ill come the autumn. But I realise there's a flaw in that plan as all faffing with milk to cream and then buttermilk will negate the easiness
    Last edited by fuddle; 10-08-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 35,025 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Buttermilk can be replaced with yoghurt in most recipes I've had Fuddle, can you get goats yoghurt?
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 53,292 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ha! You weren't expecting me were you. Peter did his stuff yesterday and got me linked up. He couldn't remember his Wi Fi number but knew it was stuck on the back of something. The 'something' was now attached to the wall so there was a lot of unscrewing to be done before I was connected.

Welcome Vegpatch and Squiggly. Vegpatch, don't worry about a shortage of carrots for donkey, worry more about donkey absent mindedly straying into mar's orbit. She has a freezer with elastic sides and although she has quite a lot of elephant steaks in it, plus most of a camel's body parts, she won't be averse to shuffling stuff around to make room for a few donkey ribs. Just saying.

I am exhausted with talking and laughing, we have done an inordinately huge amount of both. Peter is being very good and doing nothing, as prescribed, but it doesn't stop him talking.
    At this moment he is demonstrating his new piano to a neighbour. Did I ever mention that he is a musician of some brilliance. I could listen to him playing for hours, piano and church organ especially. He is my brother, but his music frequently brings me to tears.

Enough.

It's a bit late for a thought but try this........

THOUGHT FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
    When first we practise to deceive,
    But how we improve with practise.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,067Posts Today

7,446Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin