Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,551Posts
    • 32,595Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 468
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 48,977 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    No Floss, we went down the flight last week we are now on our return journey and we have 2 weeks to pootle gently back.
    We are planning a pub meal tomorrow.

When I was working on one of the locks someone asked me how far it was to the Crofton Beam Engine, when I told her I didn't know she said 'I thought you volunteer's knew everything about the canals. I explained that I wasn't a volunteer I was a boat owner!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Aug 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 29,457 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oompf. Just taking 5 while the dinner cooks itself (Remoska ).

Have had a useful day off. Taxed my car, invoiced my remote client by email, made plum and ginger jam with a few apricots thrown in, vacced, rang my mum (she's 'babysitting' at my brother's - the kids are 8 and 13), sat in the sunny garden for my lunchbreak, and *whispers* ordered a few garments in the sale, for my forthcoming walking holiday
    Oh, and I tried but failed to do a cryptic crossword. I had an old mag and found the answers in a later edition and I STILL don't know how come they are the answers..... am not on the same wavelength, I guess!

One of my clients has cancelled tomorrow so after the first 2 hours I have an unexpected opportunity to lunch with a dear friend. I'm taking a nice salad and some tasty chicken for us both, she'll provide fruit for 'afters'

Definitely cooler here now, but doesn't look like rain
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 15,132 Posts
    • 146,404 Thanks
    mardatha
    Rained here all morning! and more to come tomorrow. Feel free to come and take it away.
    I'm to go for an Xray on the wrist now, as the osteopath thinks my wrist pain and hand numbness could maybe be a broken scaphoid. 5 weeks on from the fall and counting...
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 61,867 Thanks
    silvasava
    Rained here for all of 5 mins - heard a rumble of thunder about 2 mins ago smells like rain but nada

Hester - so glad you have finished the Caen Flight - you'll have muscles like the land girl adverts! How did I guess about the Beryl Cook?

Islandmaid - weather looks OK for Friday but not sure about Saturday at the mo - just my luck. One way or another Monna and I are not destined to meet.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 53,278 Thanks
    monnagran
    Just like one of my Ladybird books!!

I also have images in my head of you lot - very favourable, I might add! GQ is an Amazon, resplendent in Zena Warrior Princess garb, wielding a mattock; monna is a pretty, Margaret Rutherford type, but with the most exquisite designer underthings - in red or emerald green; mar has spiky black hair, leather and tartan biker gear, but very gurly underpinnings; Lyn, I picture you as an elegant, grey-haired Alys Fowler, gaily tripping down to the lottie; Lame wolf, I can see your chair all "blinged up", as you sit there dressed like an Edwardian lady; fuddle, although I know what you look like, I always pictured you as tall, raven-haired, dressed somewhere between hippy and steampunk...

Well, DS#1 got married last Saturday, is in Rome for his honeymoon, and I earned my first wages in 5 years this weekend, so all's well at the moment!

A xo
    Originally posted by Cheapskate

I love your pictures of us Cheapskate. I am indeed as pretty as Margaret Rutherford, you are quite right there. Sadly my undertthings are exquisitely designed by M&S or F&F and were boringly white once upon a time.

Do you mean, mar, that as well as an agonising shoulder you have also been suffering an undiagnosed broken wrist? I know that into each life some rain must fall, but you have a veritable deluge.

Well, The suitcase is packed and standing inside the door. The house is almost spotless. Millie is twitchy. DiL has been detailed to pick me up on her way to work and my clothes are laid out ready.

All I have to do is wake up in time. I've packed my alarm clock!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 61,867 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hope you have an absolutely smashing time with DB and the family Monna xxx
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 40,755 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna have a lovely time, but hurry home x. Hope DB has a fab time xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 29,457 Thanks
    MMF007
    Have a lovely time Monna. You could set the alarm on your mobile phone if you think you may oversleep?

Speaking of alarms - DH has been complaining about bunged up ears for 2 weeks. I have him putting olive oil in and laying on his side for at least 10 mins a time but.....Sunday I got up early and put the alarm clock on my pillow so he could reach it easily when it rang
    I was busy downstairs and heard the alarm. He didn't switch it off. It kept ringing for ages. Still no action. I panicked and rushed upstairs to check whether he was still breathing! He was snoring. So I guess he wasn't exaggerating when he said he is very deaf atm
    I shall have to make an appointment at Docs if his ears don't clear by the weekend.
    • Helebore
    • By Helebore 7th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,220 Thanks
    Helebore
    Dear oh dear as soon as I see 'bunged up' I always think constipation. Then I need to read properly and not get ahead of myself!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 4,876 Posts
    • 45,254 Thanks
    Floss
    Dear oh dear as soon as I see 'bunged up' I always think constipation. Then I need to read properly and not get ahead of myself!
    Originally posted by Helebore
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 7th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 5,719 Posts
    • 62,090 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Have a lovely time Monnagran. We shall miss you! xx

Oh mar, I missed that you were still having pain and numbness in your wrist and hand. You poor wee soul

All for now, knackered after a day with the grandchildren!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 40,755 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Where is Kittie? She still can't access?

#FreeKittie x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Aug 18, 12:55 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 31,414 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    No notifications again today. Not had a good day. Just about managed to put the washing out on a real washing line. Someone put one up last week. I think they were volunteers from the refugee agency. I have been trying to get us another Whirligig for two years.

I ended up having to go back to bed this afternoon.

Have a lovely time with your DB monna. Surely millie will get you up.

I'm not surprised you may have a wrist fracture Mar. I think they often go together you must have been in agony with that as well. I hope they get you sorted asap. I would give you a big hug but I think it will hurt too much.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,944 Thanks
    kittie
    My temporary ban has finished and I have enjoyed the time away, it has broken my mse addiction and I have a new small tight group of online friends. My being has changed from stressed to very happy, content and fulfilled

The personal update: the old house turned out to be horrendous when it came to the survey, it needed major work top to bottom, many things had been hidden, so I withdrew my offer. The very next day I started searching online for a new house, much better for me at my stage in life. The old house was the one that had alerted me to the major attractions of moving to that small market town, only 13 miles away from here. I decided that I wanted to be in this place and yesterday, after a couple of false starts, found my perfect new home. Small family builders and the best build I have ever seen. Tiny garden but 100% private and bright and sunny. I have reserved it and will be moving late September

Those old house worries evaporated once I withdrew and realisation set in, I will be giving up my allotment but I will be doing more cycling and exploring the many new opportunities offered in this new arty crafty place. There are not hoards of houses where I will be, just a few and they are separated. 5 minutes walk from the shops, buses, doctors and plenty of lanes for cycling. The house is smaller than here, better for me tbh so I have masses more that needs to go, I start clearing again today

I will feel cocooned and cosy, it has that clearview solution 400, underfloor heating and a very high spec of finish and appliances. The best insulation possible, even better than here. A garage with a cavity wall so it will be dry and safe for storage and food, if vermin-proofed
    Today I will do the scale drawings again, try to visualise where I will put stuff, so I can see what has to go. I go from 4 rooms downstairs to 2, I lose 200 sq feet. The house was cheaper, 40k cheaper than the old house and I won`t have to spend any extra. Still 4 bedrooms and one will make that perfect sewing room again but with added spinning and knitting crafts

The allotment beds already have a home, to my dd, who is very excited and will inherit everything including my rotations notebook. Today, I tackle tools and maintenance things, I will no longer need them. I will be concentrating only on keeping anything to help progress my wood carving. My Excalibur dehydrator is going up for sale today, no longer needed. Yes, important items are leaving but I am going to feel lighter with every step

One last thought about genes and genetics. I have 50% Polish, eastern European genes and 50% dutch and was born in the uk. My family genetic line comes straight down from 1350 and all the way it is farming, horticultural and baking. That is where I got my skills. These are my indie genes, you can combine those 2 words and create another spelling to a misused word. I live amongst people in my rural county, who have a similar line of uk genetics, running through generations, farming and baking mainly. We all knew how to live in peace and harmony with the land and its wildlife. I will say no more now, my stay with mse is over
    Last edited by kittie; 08-08-2018 at 6:18 AM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Aug 18, 6:53 AM
    • 4,876 Posts
    • 45,254 Thanks
    Floss
    bye Kittie xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Aug 18, 6:57 AM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 53,278 Thanks
    monnagran
    YAY! Kittie's back. Not that we ever really lost her but it is so uncomfortable knowing that someone here could be so small minded and unnecessarily spiteful.
    However, we know who our friends are, don't we.

Thank you for your good wishes. I woke up all on my own, Millie and I have had our breakfast, in a minute I will have my shower and be already to be picked up by DIL at 8.00am.

Tablet will be coming with me in the hope that I don't lose touch while I'm away but we will see.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY (specially for kittie!)

Sometimes you just have to turn around, give a little smile, throw the match and burn that bridge.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Aug 18, 7:19 AM
    • 15,132 Posts
    • 146,404 Thanks
    mardatha
    Sad to see you go kittie, you have helped so many in here over the years. People who do nasty sneaky things to others always forget that malice tends to become a boomerang that turns back and clonks them one on the head.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Aug 18, 7:31 AM
    • 12,483 Posts
    • 173,427 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    KITTIE I'm glad you've been able to come back, it was a wrongness that you were not able to post for a while and I'm so very pleased you've been given the opportunity to actually return even if it is to say goodbye. I'm really pleased for you to have found the 'right' house for your future life and wish you peace, contentment and fulfilment in your every waking minute from now on, good luck with the move and be happy lovey! If in the fullness of time you feel you could come back and let us know you're settled and thriving that would be a great joy, take care, Lyn xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 29,457 Thanks
    MMF007
    KITTIE I'm glad you've been able to come back, it was a wrongness that you were not able to post for a while and I'm so very pleased you've been given the opportunity to actually return even if it is to say goodbye. I'm really pleased for you to have found the 'right' house for your future life and wish you peace, contentment and fulfilment in your every waking minute from now on, good luck with the move and be happy lovey! If in the fullness of time you feel you could come back and let us know you're settled and thriving that would be a great joy, take care, Lyn xxx.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    As above ^^^. Kittie thanks for all the info and advice on this and MK thread. Hope your new house is fab!
    • Emptynester
    • By Emptynester 8th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Emptynester
    YAY! Kittie's back. Not that we ever really lost her but it is so uncomfortable knowing that someone here could be so small minded and unnecessarily spiteful.
    However, we know who our friends are, don't we.

Thank you for your good wishes. I woke up all on my own, Millie and I have had our breakfast, in a minute I will have my shower and be already to be picked up by DIL at 8.00am.

Tablet will be coming with me in the hope that I don't lose touch while I'm away but we will see.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY (specially for kittie!)

Sometimes you just have to turn around, give a little smile, throw the match and burn that bridge.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Sad to see you go kittie, you have helped so many in here over the years. People who do nasty sneaky things to others always forget that malice tends to become a boomerang that turns back and clonks them one on the head.
    Originally posted by mardatha

If I could thank these posts more than once I would. Kittie will be sadly missed, she did so much good on this site and for it's posters. I send her my best wishes for her exciting new start. x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin