Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,561Posts
    • 32,636Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 466
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 12,494 Posts
    • 173,550 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'd never describe you as weird MAR, alternative perhaps, definitely individual but weird? nah!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 53,296 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oooh, I dunno. I reckon that mar is definitely weird, as all the best people are. Just you be careful petal. Hopefully the whatever it is you are taking will do its stuff and ease your pain. We can't have our mar suffering one bit more than she has to.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 12,494 Posts
    • 173,550 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    If Mar is we all are Monna, we all fit here don't we?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Aug 18, 5:27 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 53,296 Thanks
    monnagran
    "You're mad. Bonkers. Off your head........but I'll tell you a secret....all the best people are." (Alice in Wonderland)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 31,428 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I can recommend something much better than kale Mar. Assuming you like them dates are very good.

Someone said yesterday they would like to be statuesque. I thought I would like that and if I stay the same weight I would be slim too. I am far to short to ever be elegant, anything that is elegant I trip over and fall flat on my face, or the pockets are round my ankles.

While I was on home bargains this afternoon I saw a tall assistant using a stool to put things on the top shelf. When I wanted someone to get me something off the top shelf she was several aisles away. I did think of asking her if she needed a stool how did she expect the rest of us to get anything down.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 15,137 Posts
    • 146,491 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm not finding any C probs, maybe camel is a laxative? (oooops did I say that out loud? wait till Polly sees it...)
    But ty all xx - I sometimes seem to roll onto the shoulder and wake up with such a horrible pain, and this stuff def does work for that. I'm taking it as and when reqd so not every 4 hours or anything like that.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 61,897 Thanks
    silvasava
    Haha I'm tall & would love to be thought of as elegant ( like wot Monna is ) In my imagination I would be perfectly dressed in my yacht gear, helming a sleek sailing cruiser into the harbour with skill and panache ( nice word for a Monday) tThe reality is sticky salt hair cut off jeans and a little tub of a boat with me making a complete hash up and needing help - ah well I can dream. Maybe it's just as well Monna won't be in Bembridge on Saturday - I'm sure she'll hear the gossip
    Funnily enough NM I nipped into Sainsbury's yesterday and as I rounded the corner a lady collared me to pass something down off the top shelf. She could just reach it but wanted 2 packs and couldn't reach that far. It's usually my mission in the SM's.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 12,494 Posts
    • 173,550 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've just had time to sit and skim the paper today and I'm aghast at what I read! One article saying that if we leave the EU 'women' will have to give up their careers to look after ageing parents and the other saying that 'women 'are more likely to give up eating meat if they look at pictures of cute and cuddly animals! How dare they? in an age where equality in all things is striven for, where women are fighting prejudice and unequal pay structures, discrimination and unfair dismissals if they should ever commit the heinous crime of having a child those two articles BIG FAIL TELEGRAPH are as unacceptable as anything I have EVER read! an insult to both womankind and the intelligence of the female of the species!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 15,137 Posts
    • 146,491 Thanks
    mardatha
    MrsL I have decided that the whole world has gone mad and anybody with any common sense has gone to ground. I've given up reading anything now!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 6th Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 40,771 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    The closest I have ever come to having panache is when my first boyfriend bought me a bottle for Christmas over 30 years ago

As I have said previously, I am more Hobbit than Elvish

As for the press vs Brexit 'we're all doomed, I'll tell ye' - phahhhh...... tosh and piffel
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 06-08-2018 at 8:11 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 6th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Mrs LW I've yet to meet a newspaper, radio broadcast or other news source that didn't infuriate me in some way shape or form. The Telegraph has particular form for me and usually manages to raise my ire in some way. It means you're a thinking, feeling, reflecting human and that is a good thing. Plus, don't you use your newspapers are fire starters? Just think of the pleasure you'll have in seeing the offending articles go up in smoke

Silva, in my head you're top to toe in white with a jaunty red scarf and cap and you look like a Ralph Lauren advert.

Islandmaid, you look like Heidi but all grown up. Tall, blonde and with creamy skin from all of the goats milk.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 6th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 40,771 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Fairyprincessk Heidi? - I look more like the goat
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 6th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Oh no Islandmaid. Your name tells the whole story. You even have braids on your head. No, I do not know why my mind thinks a girl who had never been anywhere near an Island must be the image of an Islandmaid, but there we are.

For the record, Mar wears an exquisitely knitted fair isle cardigan over leather biker trousers. The trousers have cargo pockets from which she whips out packets of jelly babies.

Nursemaggie obviously wears the chicest nurses uniform ever, that part designed by Dior after the war and looks like Jennifer Lee in Call the Midwife. Completely the wrong era but that is the era of nurse I like to picture so there we are.

Why yes, yes my imagination did and does get me into trouble. Why do you ask?
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 49,055 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    And you all know I wear a purple suede corset!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 6th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Hester, in my head you also have a fairy wand. I know, you'd prefer a whip, but wand it is.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    • 12,494 Posts
    • 173,550 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Indeed we do FPK and I shall enjoy to the full the pyroclastic abilities of those particular pages. It makes my blood boil though!

Hester M'dear is it one of those razor wire wands or merely the barbed wire variety?
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 31,428 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    FPK They have caught up with my era on call the midwife. I started as a Student Nurse in 1964. I was very slim and dainty then which made every male patient fall in love with me. I only weighed 6 stone.

We wore long dresses very wide skirts and high collars. The hem had to be 6 inches below our knees which in my case was just above my ankles. We had starched white aprons that almost met at the back with square bibs you had to pin to your dress. The dresses were a tiny blue check, we wore starched collars that cut your neck, we used to bang them with something' can't remember what, to soften them a bit. We had black stocking, tights had not been invented yet, and black lace up shoes. We had green cloaks with red linings which were turned to the red outside for the carols on Christmas Eve. Topped of with a large butterfly hat which took ages to fold from a large white starched rectangle about the size of a hand towel, not the little guest towels. It took weeks to get the laundry to starch them enough to be able to fold them properly. We wore them for weeks until we had another piece of cotton that stood up on its own.

We were all dying to get the frilly little hat when we became staff nurses. They replaced all starched white hats with paper ones about three weeks after finals.

So actually we were more old fashioned than on call the midwife. Now they don't look like nurses with their trousers and short tunics but they are more practical.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 49,055 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Razor wire every time Mrs LW!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 6th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    What a lovely description Nursemaggie! I love the pictures of those old uniforms, but I agree I'd much rather work in the contemporary ones!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 31,428 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    One thing they have missing we made notes on the inside hem of our aprons. Aprons were very useful we missed then when we lost them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,510Posts Today

6,084Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin