Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,598Posts
    • 32,854Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 465
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 6th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 25,981 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Softstuff I can only imagine how long it takes to crochet kale suits for elephants and camels

Hester, I'm sending you a cool drink and an image of a footrest and palm leaf fan. I hope you're still resting! The earrings sound lovely.

Greenbee, I know that feeling of exhaustion. Safe travels when you do manage to leave.

Mrs LW, reading plans for your new house and allotment really excite me.

Softstuff that sounds like a very full and excellent day! I know the furniture will be worth it when it is finished.

I think today will consist of a run, maybe some blackberrying, maybe a walk into town to mooch around the charity shops and maybe some sewing. Yoga tonight so I think it will be a quick-ish tea of salmon and stir fry.

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Aug 18, 7:21 AM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 49,651 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    On the move again this morning, hopefully to the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight.

We met up with a fellow MSEr yesterday Gintotmelinda and ,her husband.

Hugs to all in need
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 12,702 Posts
    • 175,825 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    They quite excite me too FPK! I'm looking forward to learning how to grow in a cooler and wetter climate, we've been in the far south all our lives and have just moved along the south coast but growing conditions here are very harsh, we have poor soil full of gravel and the climate is a micro climate governed by the Isle of Wight being directly opposite so we get very little rain, no matter how much we feed the soil it is always hungry! To have a decent soil to play with is an excellent prospect and on our last visit the allotments on the new site were vibrant and fecund bursting with healthy verdant growth...can't wait! The free greenhouse is possibly the best thing to have happened since the Zebra was born (well maybe it comes a close second to Nell meeting dear James) and gives the promise of tomatoes, peppers etc. and we'll site it in a lovely sheltered sunny spot so things ought to thrive there too!

Currently we've more home in boxes than is left out and I'm getting impatient for it to all be over, waiting was never my forte in life...onwards and upwards OH YES!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 53,987 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hester, good luck with the move. I'm not sure that I could live your life, I put down deep, deep roots wherever I am and it takes an earthquake to move me. I'm the same when it comes to holidays, hate leaving home, perfectly happy when I've been wherever it is for a few days but the journey from A to B is tricky. I take my hat off to you Hester, or I would if I ever wore one.

I spent a long time yesterday making a batch of lemon curd to take up to my brother's on Wednesday. He loves the stuff and being yellow I thought it an appropriate gift for this Golden celebration. Fine in theory but I hadn't reckoned on this batch turning out a murky brown colour. Why? It's never happened before. Sod's law I suppose.

Now I hear that the weather is going to cool off by the end of this week. Oh great! I've being longing for it to be a bit cooler, but not when I have just got all my tropical kit ready to pack. Oh well, I'll just add a cardi or two and hope for the best.

Hope all is well with everyone. Hope mar is suffering unbearable heartburn as retribution for eating stray camels. Surprised to hear that Humphrey is being kitted out by softstuff. I could have sworn that I spotted him this morning doing a bit of fruit picking in my pear tree.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

I know I had matured when I realised that not every situation requires a reaction. Sometimes you've just got to leave people to do the lame stuff that they do.
    Last edited by monnagran; 06-08-2018 at 7:52 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 6th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 35,364 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Monna, maybe the curd... er... tarnished?
    And as for Humphrey, he may well still be there. I was just told he had a ticket for travel, so I've been crocheting in advance 1 camel sized kale ghillie suit. Like FPK says, it takes a while so I need a head start.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • Cocketts
    • By Cocketts 6th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    Cocketts
    I just HAD to de-lurk to tell you this story.....

My wonderful DD has just returned from a two-week vet nursing placement on a game reserve in South Africa.
    She was excitedly telling us about her experience - on the first day they had a presentation from one of the rangers about poaching.
    Now, most people think animals are poached for their horns or skins.Anyhooooo, the ranger was telling the students a story of how an elephant had wandered too close to a village and was considered a danger - so they shot him. The villagers then portioned him up and each family had a hunk of meat to eat. All this in a village that had hardly any crops and certainly no access to meat. DD said it was the only meat those families would have had for months.
    She was not best pleased when I sniggered
    Lilli
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 12,702 Posts
    • 175,825 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Priceless!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 63,081 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hester - is CHS expecting you to do all the !ocks? Could you take a break somewhere? I do think you should helm - you need to just in case CHS was ever poorly. I worry about you. Must admit CHS sounds like my DH - no good at giving clear instructions and zero patience! Mind you he's brilliant at mending and making things.
    Monna - I'm booked in at the marina! Wouldn't you know it's this Saturday when your DB has his golden wedding celebrations - sods law again!
    Softstuff - if you use double kale thread and an extra large hook you will be able to make the suit much quicker
    I took my boat out yesterday - as it was a late tide just motored across the harbour as there wasn't much wind and anchored in the bay. Bit of a squash with DS1 and 3 friends on board. DS1 and two of the friends decided to go for a swim - much hilarity as they tried to get back on board up the little boarding ladder at the stern. Stunningly beautiful evening with the sun reflecting on flat calm water - felt very blessed.
    Got home to find DH has the collywobbles so dug out the pills and at least he managed a good night without any dashes to the loo. BTW DH was doing man things with metal, welding and grinding yesterday - sigh. Today I'll be playing nursemaid and disinfecting everywhere he could have touched Justin
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Aug 18, 9:52 AM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 53,987 Thanks
    monnagran
    Shucks Silva. How many times is that we have arranged a rendez-vous? I reckon that we are destined never to meet and you will for ever be picturing me as this tall. slim, elegant figure with drop dead gorgeous hair and truly classy clothes. Quite right too.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 6th Aug 18, 9:57 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 25,981 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Oh, to be able to look how I hope other people picture me. Or even how I picture myself

Perfectly tasteful, perfectly fitted clothes. Smooth hair always elegantly styled and never frizzy or fluffy or sticking out at all angles. Quiet in a collected and calm sort of way. Well spoken. Never shrill or mousy. Friendly but authoritative (that one is for my students. Apparently they think I'm a decade younger than I am. This might be flattering in some contexts but isn't in mine). Statuesque.

Oh well.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 6th Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 5,880 Posts
    • 63,918 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Lilli That's so funny glad your DD enjoyed her placement though

silva and monnagran What a shame you're destined to miss each other again
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Aug 18, 10:19 AM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 78,691 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all

I've been walking and trainee booking clerking as a volunteer at a local railway. Back to the numbers today..

I veer between hoping people see me as elegant and sophisticated to seeing me as a bit 'hippy chick'. The reality, I fear, is far from both. Added to which someone i saw at the weekend, who hadn't recognised me, said it was because "you have a few more wrinkles than last time i saw you".... (although, I don't have many wrinkles and we fear he has early stage dementia and he was rude to just about everyone - even telling me I'd left it too late when i had my children - i was 32 and 35 - as when the grandchildren come along i will be 'in my dotage' ). anyhow, i will not let this get me down as it would have been funny if it weren't so sad - he is only 64 and was in quite a bad way. I found out last night that one of the many people i had met in France died two days ago of a sudden heart attack. She was in her early 70's and was just swimming one minute, dead the next. You really have to 'seize the day' don't you?
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 12,702 Posts
    • 175,825 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I really don't care how people see me, it's not what's outside that counts in this life it's what's inside!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 6th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 35,364 Thanks
    Softstuff
    As for how others see you....
    My work colleague the other day was commenting on some music.
    I said it was before my time.
    He said that it couldn't be, since he remembered it....
    I said, but I'm younger than you.
    He said, noooooo
    I asked, "how old do you think I am?"
    He said "about 50"
    I said no, 40
    He said "but you have more grey hair than my grandmother!!!!"

Mardatha, as a result of these comments you'll be receiving some steaks and assorted meat chunks in the mail. Treat it like pork, should be delicious. I call it "Eddy".
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 10,829 Posts
    • 119,114 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Oh, to be able to look how I hope other people picture me. Or even how I picture myself
    Originally posted by FairyPrincessk
    This reminds me of an occasion at work (back when I did go out to work.....) - it was the mid 1990s and the Spice Girls were all the rage. There were five of us in the office, and one of the others decided to designate us as Spice Girls..... Guess who got designated as Scary?
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 49,651 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Love the elephant story.
    We're moored up at the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight, we will set off tomorrow morning at sparrowfart o'clock.
    I have done a helmsmans course but I have zero confidence when steering the boat, CHS panics and I find it easier to lock than to steer.
    We've done 6 locks today and we buddied up with another boat so that made it easier.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 15,244 Posts
    • 147,906 Thanks
    mardatha
    Softstuff I will make room in the freezer for Eddie. - erm I mean the pork steaks. Just hope no Aussie cops arrive at my door, he might be difficult to explain away.
    Hester, you must live on the steepest canal in Britain - can't you find a nice flat one?
    I'm on Dihydrocodeine. I think I feel a bit weird, hope I don't sound weird.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 9,212 Posts
    • 59,206 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Watch it with that stuff, mardatha, it can make you a bit loopy. And constipated. And minus a blood pressure. And damage your kidneys. Strong painkiller, though. Having said that, reports are doing the rounds about cannabis oil (minus THC, the psychoactive stuff) being very good for pain. Might be worth researching.
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge October. 10/20
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    • 12,754 Posts
    • 221,504 Thanks
    greenbee
    I used to take dihydrocodeine. Didn't get on with it, and it wasn't pleasant coming off it.

Mar - as a general rule the 'co' in a drug name stands for 'constipation', so better get eating that kale...
    • Helebore
    • By Helebore 6th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    Helebore
    Cannabis oil: cbd brothers. Not any experience personally but researched for a friend who was looking for her brother who had cancer. Not sure what she decided though.
    Helena
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,836Posts Today

9,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin