Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,607Posts
    • 32,920Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 415
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 4,761 Posts
    • 55,299 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello all. Welcome Lainey.
    When I was expecting baby no 2, DD wanted a sister. When she came to the hospital to meet her brother, she said "he's ok, but where's my sister then?".
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 10,885 Posts
    • 119,720 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Sorry for the absence folks; things have been a tad fraught here one way and another, and to top all, our internet died the death completely; we're back up now, but it was going to be a case of visit the pub where there's free wi-fi and take the netbook, just to look at my emails! So I'm catching up with several pages of thread....

I'm going to type this on an OpenOffoce document then cut'n'paste, as I had no sleep last night (anxiety at 03:00 is not good) and my poor little brain's just about fried.

Monna so sorry to hear about your DB !!!8211; all my hopes that he makes a full and swift recovery. Coping vibes for SiL too. I wish there was something useful I could do to help, I truly do.

NM it sounds to me like Loki is at work with your Smart Meter debacle !!!8211; not to mention the buses. Big fat raspberries to obnoxious man at bus stop.

Kittie I definitely wouldn't want to employ packers !!!8211; I value my privacy too much; and some of my possessions might just raise a few eyebrows!

Ah, I see Dilly the Dragon speaks Lurcha.....

Good to see Lainey joining us.... I have actually met Lulu and a beautiful horse she is, too.

Regarding Donny; I am put in mind of a bit in one of the Pratchett books; either Wyrd Sisters or Witches Abroad, I forget which; where Nanny Ogg curses the Idiot-In-Chief with piles - "It won't stop 'im rulin', 'e'll just 'ave to do it standin' up!"
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 6,613 Posts
    • 101,279 Thanks
    fuddle
    I DO NOT BELIEVE IT.

I'm just going to blow the dust off my "How to cure Dyslexia," text book.
    Originally posted by monnagran

Lainey!! I'm so pleased you're here.

3 pages in a morning? Has the sun gone in?

I've been in the front garden for a bit. Give me a veggie seed and I'm away but give me a young flowering perennial and panic sets in.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 12,826 Posts
    • 177,226 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I went into the city this morning and found that Debenhams have a blue cross 70% off sale on so got another lovely winter top from Tog24 for £25, really snuggly and almost knee length with a hood, Jaques Vert also has a 50% sale in it's franchise area in the shop.

The best deal was Merrell Kahuna Trekking Sandals from Milletts/Blacks who seem to be closing as a store where they have a 50% off sale and then if you order online another 20% off that so the Kahuna Sandals (this will be my third pair) come in at £54.40p plus 2.90 postage and the code for the extra 20% today is SIZZLE, they are without doubt the most comfortable footwear for hot weather and waterproof and me proof this pair is at least 3 years old and only just beginning to wear in areas of the outer sole.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 13th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Another lurker here, delurking to send best wishes to Monna and family xx
    Originally posted by pollie67
    Another lurker here, sending hugs and positive thoughts for Monna and family ((((hug))))
    Originally posted by melodramaticme
    I'm late reading the thread and hearing about your DB Monna but still sending love and healing wishes.
    Originally posted by ArthriticOldThing
    And the same from me. Fingers crossed all will be well.xx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 64,420 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Lyn I came across a pair of Merrell Citrus Convert (I think that was the name) in a pop-up ad and was excited because they were in a Sale and looked like my old pair, where you could undo the toe fastening (the Kahuna are very comfy but I can't wear them with my compression stocking as the stocking rides up my foot when I put my foot into the sandal) but sadly it turned out they had only one pair left and not my size. I'm hoping Merrell will bring the style back!

MMF I'd love to have seen the look on your brother's face as he was "Dressaging" across the field i really enjoyed your post, thank you

LameWolf Do you remember when a soldier or police captain kicked Gaspode, so Gaspode made him think he had a really itchy bottom?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 12,826 Posts
    • 177,226 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The website shows a Cedrus Convert shoe and I've just put in a search and found them on Amazon IVYLEAF whether it's the same model as you had I don't know but I just put a search in on E.Bay and then Google and there they were, they do both a ladies and mens version.

On Google on a site called SPORTSSHOES.com they have two colours of ladies Cedrus Convert sandals at half price for £32.49p, might be worth checking it out if you haven't already done so?
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 13-07-2018 at 5:01 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,572 Thanks
    MMF007
    OMG, the TENNIS! What a match and what a noble winner. Huge respect to both.
    I think I need a lie down now
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 64,420 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thank you Lyn - it was actually a Sportsshoes.com ad that i looked at which had only one pair, in size 4. I'll have a look at amazon though

(Citrus Convert nearly right though )

ETA I had a look on Sports Direct but have been thwarted. My Kahunas say on their size label UK8 EU41. The Cedrus listing states that a UK8 is a 42. I daren't order them because if they don't fit i have to pay to send them back! Never mind. I might see if our local branch has any in stock atm.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 13-07-2018 at 8:28 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 12,826 Posts
    • 177,226 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Worth a try love, sorry it's no use xxx.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th Jul 18, 9:35 PM
    • 3,933 Posts
    • 48,891 Thanks
    maryb
    Monnagran I was out yesterday so missed your post about your brother. It struck very close to home with me. I am praying he makes a good recovery - I look at my DH now and he looks so different from three months ago and I hope you will be in the same happy situation in a few months. But like you, when he was admitted to hospital and wired up to a monitor, I found the support on here made such a difference. Know that we are all thinking of you
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    The funny part about the 20kg of bananas is that these were not the first bananas I had given them in the past week. The first 5 or 6 kg were green and fresh from the plant, the 20kg were frozen, in chunks, in bags of 2-3 bananas apiece. And she has no hefferlump (a hefferlump would scare her chickens). They just like bananas. And free food I also gave her passionfruit, but that was not a noteworthy amount, there were just 5. I had given the bin sack full of passionfruit to the other neighbour over the road last weekend

Soon I will actually grow things I eat. It's just that I planted these things before the low carb diet, and with zero intervention, they just grow.

Cranky, if you can run for 30 minutes and talk, you're a runner. Congratulations

Lamewolf, you have me now truly intrigued what your unusual possessions are. I'm reminded of when Hester wanted to sell a few... er... knickknacks.

MrsLW, you've gotten me excited again about shopping in England. I'll be looking for some walking boots.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Jul 18, 8:22 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 54,316 Thanks
    monnagran
    softstuff, well done you on looking after the neighbours crooks (I think that's the right word.) Or maybe not. Thanks tablet. I actually typed c h o o k s, although for all I know your neighbour may have a wire enclosure full of shifty looking men in masks and striped jumpers. Who like bananas.

I know just what you mean by growing stuff and then not being allowed to eat it. I am always reading about things I really should be eating for the good of my health. So, like the eager beaver I am, I lay in a stock of said foodstuff. The next week I read that if I want to lose weight.........and I dooo, I really dooo,......this is the very last thing I should be eating. Spit!
    So now I eat what I like but in smallish amounts and mindfully and at last I am beginning to lose weight. Who would have guessed.

Today is the School Summer Fair. All the goodies are packed into my shopping trolley, I was up at the shop doing my shopping before 7 o'clock, eaten my breakfast and am already to set off for a fun filled day plying people with tea, coffee and cake.

SIL said last night that DB is rapidly getting back to normal, texting her every hour or so asking for squash, where did she put his clean pyjamas, has she rung to cancel his dentist appointment, could she bring in his black notebook and a pen.........she says it's just like having him at home. I slept again.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Society: Be yourself.
    Society: No, not like that.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Jul 18, 8:35 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Monna - Having had one of my DBs in a life and death situation (induced coma 5.5 weeks ruptured aneurism at age 50) I understand pretty well how you have been feeling and on reading your last post my shoulders lifted and a smile came to my face. Such wonderful news. Enjoying plying all those folk with your lovely cakes. x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 14th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Monnagran - Only just popping back in so a lot of catching up to do - I have been reading the thread backwards to find out what happened. Hugs to you and your family and I will keep your db in my prayers.

Beautiful day here - we have had rain for the last 2 days and oh boy, does the garden look better.

Ds2 and I are off to Ikea later - he has been bribed with meatballs. We need 2 bed boxes to go under the guest room/ ds1's bed and then apart from my bookshelves that will be all the storage done in the new house. I had a wardrobe delivered from the BHF 2nd hand furniture store on Thursday and bless them they carried it upstairs for me. Win all round - I didn't have to spend too much, money for heart research and a piece of furniture is saved from the tip.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 24,001 Thanks
    csarina2
    Monnagran, so pleased to hear that your husband is making such good progress and that you have managed a decent nights sleep.

After a few days of cool mornings we are back to blazing sun this morning, we do so need rain, I can get my hand in the cracks in the soil in the garden and OH is moaning loudly that his beans are not forming.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Jul 18, 10:21 AM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 64,420 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Not to worry Lyn, much appreciated anyway

So glad Peter's doing well, Monna. Hope the fair goes well xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 14th Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 31,999 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Glad to hear the positive news Monna. You don't realise how much you'll miss the habits that you think are annoying until they're not there any more so I'm very happy your SIL is receiving so many texts

Washing is in the machine and the sun is back so I'm happy. I'm going to cut the grass later and do some weeding. A quiet, gentle day is the order of the day here I think. I was tempted to go back to the gym and try for the 5k run that I didn't do yesterday but I'll take my rest days and try on Monday instead methinks.

I'm interested in the talk of sandals. I like any talk of shoes but I have feet that are better suited to the shoebox than the shoes within. I don't wear sandals, I just have summer trainers (mesh material) and winter trainers (waterproof). I'd love slender pretty feet that would look right in delicate strappy sandals, sigh.
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs

October Grocery Challenge £138.20/£150
    November GC £136.91/£200
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    .....we do so need rain, I can get my hand in the cracks in the soil in the garden and OH is moaning loudly that his beans are not forming.
    Originally posted by csarina2
    This is the only reason that I am glad my 3 plantings of french & runner bean plants didn't survive their maulings by pigeons
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Jul 18, 11:32 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    SIL said last night that DB is rapidly getting back to normal, texting her every hour or so asking for squash, where did she put his clean pyjamas, has she rung to cancel his dentist appointment, could she bring in his black notebook and a pen.........she says it's just like having him at home. I slept again.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Y'know, it used to be when someone was in hospital and they wanted to contact you, they had to wait for the ward phone to be wheeled over. And then there was a period of time where mobiles simply weren't switched on in hospitals. I'll bet your SIL will soon be wishing for those days I'm so glad he's doing well Monna xxx

Cranky, I have slender feet... but the toes have been broken too many times to be called pretty by anyone Would the merrell open shoes be any good for you? I plan to try some of those for next summer (I'm now able to go without orthotics for about a day at a time).
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,571Posts Today

9,202Users online

Martin's Twitter