Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,607Posts
    • 32,920Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 413
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 23,504 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    That's much better news monna . You should sleep easier tonight .

My lovely late 1st husband insisted on riding his bike 20 miles to work and the same distance back . He was badly injured in two hit and runs late at night and the hospitals were amazed at how quickly he recovered from pretty bad injuries .

Being such an active man your beloved Peter has the odds on his side .I hope he will get a small celebration of the special anniversary even if after the main event .

As for who asked the Brits nobody did . It's like the kings suit of clothes he says it so he believes it like a lot of his other weird statements .

My eldest daughter had an imaginary horse when she was six which hung around for a year or two . The memory of trying to walk a six and seven year old to school complete with the horse still makes me shudder . She would neigh , shout giddy up and dismount a few times to either adjust the saddle or allow the darn thing to graze the grass verges . It reminds me of if you think something you believe everyone else sees the same thing . Oh and it wasn't too good as a member of staff to have to help her tether the horse in the playground in full view of parents .
    Sleep well monna

polly x
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 12-07-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: missed an o
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 12th Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 9,245 Posts
    • 59,413 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    One day at a time, monnagran. He will probably need an echocardiogram (ultrasound scan) to check how his heart is working before deciding on long term treatment, and they like things to settle down and stabilise first before scanning, otherwise you don't get a clear picture of what's going on. Remember, around half of people who have heart attacks don't live long enough even to get to hospital, so he is already on the side of the winning 50%
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge November 8/15
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jul 18, 10:52 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 41,471 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna Good News x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jul 18, 4:28 AM
    • 15,290 Posts
    • 148,590 Thanks
    mardatha
    Up and functioning and on my second pot of tea. Morning Fencers!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th Jul 18, 5:28 AM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 50,077 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning Mar.
    Better news then for you Monna
    Cat sitting and childcare for me today, that's after I've braved the cows in the field!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 6:46 AM
    • 12,826 Posts
    • 177,210 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well it's a cloudy old day outside but I read MONNAs post and suddenly found a beautiful ray of sunshine in amongst the clouds, I hope you and your brother and SIL slept after that M'dear, not out of the woods quite yet but it must feel as though you've found a peaceful little glade close to the edge of them and can walk out into the clear in a short time, miracles do sometimes happen xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Jul 18, 7:19 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good news Monna

Hope you managed some sleep
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 13th Jul 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 7,169 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Good news about your brother, Monna

It's raining here-the first rain since mid-June! I suppose we'll have to start mowing the lawn again soon. With a bit of luck it should help put any moorland fires out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Jul 18, 7:31 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 54,311 Thanks
    monnagran
    Lyn, a ray of sunshine is just how it feels. Thank you. I slept for 7 hours last night, quite uninterrupted. That doesn't happen often.

I have the news on atm. Goodness. It makes you wonder how we have managed all these years without Mr D.T. to tell us what we should be doing. He may or may not be right but it's a mercy that he didn't take up diplomacy as a career.

After yesterday's cooking marathon there isn't much more for me to do today. A few more biscuits that will appeal to the children and a chocolate/coconut/cherry concoction for the gluten-free.
    A lifetime of organising School and church events means that I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not organising this one, merely helping. To a naturally bossy moo this will be hard and the tongue will have to be bitten.

Breakfast first and a few necessary activities with mop and vacuum before I can start enjoying myself.in the kitchen.

Still thoughts of Peter will be with me in the back of my mind. Apparently his biggest regret is that he won't be taking part in the children's Holiday Club at his church. He has organised this week-long event every year for decades. It is so popular that they used to have to limit the numbers to 90. This was the first year that he wasn't going to be organising it but just doing his favourite bit of compere-ing it. He is the archetypal headmaster, calm and dignified, but with the capability of being totally crazy and very, very funny which he could give full rein to at Holiday Club. Shame. They will miss him.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY (listen up nursemaggie.)

Don't worry about people talking behind your back. They are behind you for a reason.
    Last edited by monnagran; 13-07-2018 at 7:46 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 13th Jul 18, 7:39 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Monnogran, I expect there are a great many lurkers that read this and other threads but never post, but this is the only thread where we can have a good laugh one minute and be serious the next.

If a need for the fencers army arose, I suspect they would be joining us or cheering us on.

Good news about your brother and hope he continues to improve.

Welcome Dilly the Dragon.
    Last edited by Bigjenny; 13-07-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 8:07 AM
    • 12,826 Posts
    • 177,210 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hewo Anti Jenni, fank yew fer sayn hewo tew mey wiv luv frum DILLY xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 34,112 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Another one de-lurking or is is de-lousing to send positive vibes to Monnagran, her brother and SIL.

Hewo to DILLY too, until today I was unaware that I could understand Dragon, what fun
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 54,311 Thanks
    monnagran
    I DO NOT BELIEVE IT.

I'm just going to blow the dust off my "How to cure Dyslexia," text book.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 13th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 41,471 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Just watched the cave divers interview - quite tearful, what a lovely bunch of guys x

Monna Glad you slept well, please pass on our best wishes to you DB and SiL x

I have a lazy weekend ahead, out for dinner tonight, off to a wedding tomorrow (actually going to wear a REAL dress), then Sunday is a bung it in the oven and recover day
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th Jul 18, 8:35 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Monna, so glad things are progressing well and that you're managing to sleep too.

MrsLW, I'm almost certain the dragon, being at least 500 years old, has better literacy. Maybe Dilly was using a tablet.

I've just managed to palm off 20kg of bananas to a neighbour so am about to deliver them. I said "some" and they said yes .
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 54,311 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oooooh! Softstuff!

Close the blinds. Pull the curtains. Don't answer the door for at least 3 days.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 31,320 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Great to read that Monna’s brother is doing better and that you managed to sleep m’dear.

Is it ok if I stop lurking and actually join in on a more regular basis, quite fancy being part of the fencers army and have my very own mini charger horse wise
    Talking of which I did laugh Polly at your description of your daughter’s imaginary horse, I did much the same thing as a child and used to build showjumping courses in the back garden for my ‘stead’ to tackle.
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 13th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Welcome LaineyT, the more the merrier, and welcome the noble stead Lady Lulu.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Jul 18, 8:53 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    oh I don`t know which thread I should be on at the moment, a mix of kondo, prepping and the supportive chatty fence. It is so blooming hard, this getting ready to sell, as well as all the packing and sorting. Yes ok, I don`t need to have my many and varied hobbies but they keep me going and get me out and into groups and basically are the cause of packing bulk.

Photos on wednesday and I have started the last deep clean, the rooms that I regularly use. I have been at it, physically at it, since 7 and who needs a gym. I unscrewed the 2 screws at the top of my most precious 7` tall curved pale wood and glass cupboard and realised why the screws were put in, I always thought it was for gdc safety as the unit has 6 doors and the children were small. Argh, good job I carefully tested it as it swayed forward a little bit, it stands on sisal carpet. Two screws back in safely, it is definitely not a fixture for selling and I will make sure the EA knows

North side top windows are all sparkling and other windows will be done after the needed rain. So now I am cream crackered, having a drink of water and then going out to look for more beautiful orchids. Anyone know how to whiten mastic that is clean but looks a bit yellow?
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Jul 18, 8:54 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 54,311 Thanks
    monnagran
    Lainey, are you truly, absolooley sure of joining in this madhouse? It's addictive you know. Sometimes you will pinch yourself and think, "Did I really read that?" Or even worse, "Did I really write that?" Which in my case is a completely legitimate question, because I often write one thing and my tablet translates it into something quite bizarre. It had great fun with your user name. I don't know what a Lanier is. I must look it up.

Welcome anyway. This is the ultimate thread for all waifs and strays. Or waits and starrys, which was tablet's original version. See?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,153Posts Today

8,397Users online

Martin's Twitter