Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,521Posts
    • 32,233Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 412
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jul 18, 5:43 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 78,532 Thanks
    kittie
    . The move feels closer but the home feels less and less like home!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

ahh that is what I hope will happen here, that the house releases me. I am following your move with great interest mrsLW. It is so blooming hard packing by myself and I know packers could do it but I want a modicum of being sorted at the other end. My saving grace is that I intend to be moved in stages. I could not for the life of me imagine unpacking a large removal van, a lot of stuff would end up in the wrong place and I would end up carrying it anyway

I have a list, things to do to make my home photogenic. Photos next week and then a break until september, when I will put it on the market. My vendor has booked storage for the last couple of weeks in august, it looks as though my buying target is mid august
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 168,463 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh Kittie pack it ALL yourself so much safer, when we went to Germany the company paid for removers to pack our whole life up and they wrapped individual lego figures and marbles! The paper and cardboard mountain at the other end had to be seen to be believed. They gave us 'Wardrobes' and at the other end all and I do mean everything was in a heap on the floor of them. Oh no never again, that's why I'm shedding possessions like autumn leaves and will pack every item that remains myself!

We painted light off whites on the walls of rooms that needed freshening and made sure the bathrooms were sparkling and smelled 'clean' and kept everywhere as tidy as it was possible to do whilst living here. The price we went on at originally was even to a hopeful seller 'ambitious' would have been nice to get it but when we dropped a 25 price band we sold the same day. With moving day we're colour coding boxes and rooms so that what we want ends up where we want it that's what we're paying the removers to do, not just drive it from A to B xxx.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 12-07-2018 at 6:00 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 12th Jul 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Another tip for all the movers. Label each box on the side as well as the top easier to find when they put it upside down.

I shed lots of clothes and all of the nick knacks that weren't of sentimental value. I've had everything packed three times. First one was from Singapore and brilliant. All the boxes were wooden and made round furniture and other boxes. It got stuck in Liverpool though for nearly six months as the dockers were on strike.

ivyleaf Mona knows now she is one of the most popular people on the old style threads. I did not half miss her when she was missing for all those months.

I spotted some nice bungalows on my way home today so I am hoping one comes up in the next few months. Sorry for talking about behind your back monna.
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 12th Jul 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 7,237 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    I read nearly every day but hardly ever post on this thread - just had to come on to wish Monna (who feels like family) and her brother and sister in law all the love and luck in the world. I hope she now has some better news.
    Normal people worry me.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 52,054 Thanks
    monnagran
    To be honest nm I am feeling considerably overwhelmed. I know how wonderful the regulars are on this thread, which is why it was the first place I flew to when I had the phone call last night. I didn't realise how many lurkers we had, lousy or not. Now you have done yourselves a disservice, we know who you are.
    You are very welcome to join in, you know. You will soon get the in jokes about heffalumps, dragons and jellybabies. You will also know who is being referred to when kale, sexy underwear (or no underwear) and rocking boats are mentioned.

I have no more info as yet. I guess SisIL has been at the hospital all day and will ring when she gets home as she did yesterday. Today I did what I always do when stressed. I cooked. I had quite a bit to do anyway for the School Summer Fair so I cracked on with cheese scones, brownies, sticky chocolate orange cake and biscuits.
    Pickle came in after school and after telling her what I'd done she informed me that she had filled a jam jar. "What with?" I enquired. "Things." So I'm no wiser.

By the way, you all have no need to believe Islandmaid's wild boasts about wet stuff falling from the sky. This is not a huge island and we have had blue skies and sunshine all day, not a hint of dampness.

Millie has just appeared and enquired testily If I have any idea what the time is. It is over half an hour past her dinner time. I am duly chastened.
    Maybe I'll be back later.

Thank you everyone, I am absolutely choked reading your lovely messages.
    Fuddle, tell the girls that you can't keep a stroppy Monna down. She bounces.
    nm, you are not talking behind my back ducky, I've read every word. Just look out for tomorrow's 'thought.'
    Last edited by monnagran; 12-07-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,654 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna Honest Guv... we did get rain, it was more of a cloud burst, big, fat rain for 10 minutes, just enough to make the cars look mucky

Glad you are keeping busy x your poor SIL must be exhausted, emotionally as well as physically, I am sure you will top of the list when there is news x

I collected a very sad youngest son, who was at Hyde park watching the footy last night, he reported that is was a fab atmosphere until the unthinkable loss happened - tea and biscuits helped, and things are starting to look sunnier

Watching the Blenheim Palace 'show', I bet our 'honoured guest' is lapping it up
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 12th Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Monna your story about meeting your little brother reminded me of when we brought my eldest son home.

He too is called Peter. I had quite a job getting DD to come and see him. I had already been in hospital for 5 weeks when he was born. I had a bleed and they kept me in because it was not so easy to tell a couple of months before before scans. Mum brought her every afternoon so she new about the baby. My husband had dumped DD on my mum two days after I went in.

After DD had had a look, she was only 2, she kept poking him. Then she turned to my mother and said "Why's he keep crying Grandma."

Well if I poke you in the side all the time you will cry." we both said together. As he got older he was very attached to his sister, He went to her instead of me with problems. We called he his other mother. She is very upset he does not speak to her any more.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 60,709 Thanks
    silvasava
    Apparently our ' honoured guest' has stated that ' the Britons like him' I wonder who is going to to point out to him that we haven't had any Britons since the middle ages....
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Puffinbertha
    • By Puffinbertha 12th Jul 18, 8:08 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Puffinbertha
    Hope your brother has had a comfortable day, Monna. Best wishes to you and your family.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 168,463 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hmmmmmmm I wonder who they asked?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,654 Thanks
    Islandmaid

The Britons response
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 12-07-2018 at 8:21 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 12,673 Posts
    • 220,680 Thanks
    greenbee
    Hmmmmmmm I wonder who they asked?
    A historian or a psychic presumably...

Monna - another one here thinking of you and your family. From a fairly grotty, very noisy hotel with no aircon...
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 168,463 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    ISLANDMAID.....that is BRILLIANT!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Jul 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 28,713 Thanks
    MMF007
    We had a few drops of rain, smells of dust but didn't even wet the patio over. Still very 'close' and it feels like it could thunder.

Very busy day at work and I am feeling muscles round my rib cage thanks to yesterday's cleaning the inside of a cooker hood (great for twisting and stretching ).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 168,463 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    GREENBEE they might have asked an idiot?
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 43,473 Thanks
    Floss
    GREENBEE they might have asked an idiot?
    Maybe they asked his British friend BoJo?
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 12th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 4,999 Posts
    • 48,487 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Monna.........love to you, your brother and SIL......my only sibling is my beloved brother who is 8 years younger than me, so I know where you are emotionally....he will be fine I am sure.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 52,054 Thanks
    monnagran
    Im not surprised that His Nibs is sure that 'Britons' love him. That is the way of Narcissists, everybody must love them because they are entitled. Not only must they be loved by everyone but they must be the centre of attention too. YUK.

Just spoken to SisIL and Peter is still pretty ill but has at least been moved out of high dependency although he is still wired up to machines and wearing an oxygen mask. Yesterday SIL was told that his heart was very damaged and that members of the family should be told. She didn't want to involve me in hours of travelling before they had more information so she didn't tell me that last night. But my niece and nephew were there with her today.
    Things look a lot better today. His throat is sore and although he wants to eat he just can't. However, he did suck a mint and thought that he might be able to eat some of his favourite biscuits crumbled up if anyone liked to bring them in. Hmmmm.

Thank goodness it didn't happen last week when they were in Ukraine. Apparently it is only because he is so fit that he survived.
    SIL thinks that they will still be able to have their Golden Wedding do next month. Pete says that it has all been booked and paid for and even if he can't get there everybody else had better go and eat the food.

Anyway, he will be in hospital until they stabilise him, then he will be sent home until they are ready to do whatever they are going to do next. I feel much easier in my mind tonight.

Thank you all for being there.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 12th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 3,521 Posts
    • 32,233 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    If a Positive Mental Attitude can help recovery then it sounds as though your Brother has that well and truly covered!
    V3ry - 389.60
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 47,651 Thanks
    camelot1001
    So pleased you can go to bed feeling a little better tonight monna. Love to you all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,367Users online

Martin's Twitter