Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,518Posts
    • 32,175Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 409
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 12,092 Posts
    • 167,719 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've just had the second removals van man come to give us a quote, this one will be all in one van which I think would be much better than 3 smaller vans which was what the first one offered. We're waiting for the quote now but as the lad was so excited about the football this evening I think it won't arrive until tomorrow.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 12,668 Posts
    • 220,642 Thanks
    greenbee
    Mine went in one van Lyn, but was delivered in 3. It was in storage for a couple of weeks, and when they checked the access to where I was moving they realised they'd need the small vans. So worth thinking about how much space they have to work with.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 39,404 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I love Dilly the Dragon

VJ Hope DD's date went well, even if it isn't a love match, it's always nice to meet new people

DS 'won' tickets to watch the match in Hyde Park, so he and some mates went up to London this morning. I am quite pleased, because as much as I want them to win, I am not that bothered about watching the match. The team appear to be a nice bunch of lads, and very supportive of each other, it's nice not to have all that 'drama' over certain players that the media usually focus on.

DH and I will pop in and out of the garden to check on proceedings
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    • 12,092 Posts
    • 167,719 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're OK at both ends Greenbee, here they have to be on the road as the drive is too steep and narrow to get a large van up but at the other end we have a completely flat large parking area on the front of the house, both on the road and the front garden is completely paved so they can access the house very easily. They even have a choice of an inside or an outside staircase to bring things up and a flat and level back entrance along a back lane that will take the bigger wider items easily and then in through French doors at the back.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 12,391 Posts
    • 78,254 Thanks
    kittie
    This weather doesn`t half remind me of when we viewed and moved here in 2010, it was baking then and look what happened that winter, suddenly snowed in for 6 weeks.

I am kind of thinking of moving logistics too but I am only going 13 miles so can do it in separate loads. First off will be my garage/workshop and outbuilding as I will be wanting all that lot to go straight into my new and bigger garage. I found a remover fairly close, who has a fleet of different vans and these can go before I put the house up for sale. This is the only way I am going to cope. Next, after my exchange, all the remaining garden stuff. Then I am going to get just upstairs moved and a couple of days later, just downstairs. Could well be finished in october

Before I move stuff into the garage, I will be getting a new very secure side door. It is only a 2-3 week lead time, so can be arranged for a site measure the afternoon of completion

It sounds as though things are going well mrsLW
    Last edited by kittie; 11-07-2018 at 3:09 PM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 11th Jul 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5,232 Posts
    • 76,997 Thanks
    VJsmum

VJ Hope DD's date went well, even if it isn't a love match, it's always nice to meet new people
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Thanks - and others who said likewise. They were together for 2 hours over coffee and she was very smiley when she came back She thinks it will end up being a friends thing for now - but the important thing is that she has dipped her toe in the water and had a positive experience.

I think I fret over both of them a bit too much - but would never let them know it...

Am having a very intensive 'worky' day today (yes, I know I am here, but I can have breaks). i think post-holiday i was struggling to apply myself, but am back in the zone now.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 11th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Well! Yesterday just after I posted I found the letter about the smart meter. I spent the next 4 and a half hours going from one company to another round in circles. The last person I spoke to was my supplier, I was told to ring back later she could not get into my account.

I had to go to Mr M so rang again today. I'm back going round in circles. In the end I insisted on speaking to a manager.

It turns out I should never have got the original letter telling me to ring the contractors to make the appointment. They make the appointment with the contractors. So I have spent another two hours on the phone and am waiting for someone to call me back. That's another dead day. I can't wait until tomorrow as I have a hospital appointment again.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3,759 Posts
    • 47,407 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Powerful and compassionate? I think we should call the Dragon Joy.

I've done my speed awareness course so that's all done now.

The rest of this week I'm on cat sitting, garden watering and childcare duties, I can combine the three fortunately.
    CHS is helping DD1 with marshalling on Saturday, it's more childcare for me, my four year old twin dgcs, I will need a nana nap afterwards especially as dgs is a monkey, dgd is very good, but I love them both.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 11th Jul 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Well I think It is sorted and I have a new appointment for my smart meter. I hope they come for this one.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 60,557 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Well thank goodness for that, nm! What a load of frustration!

Hester i suspect monna will protest we can't have 2 Joys in one ship, but I say the more joy the merrier

DGS (11) has gone to his friend's house to watch the football, so I hope we win, even just for their sakes, they'd be so excited
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,868 Posts
    • 51,889 Thanks
    monnagran
    I wonder if you could give vibes, thoughts candles or prayers please for my lovely brother. He had a heart attack today and is in hospital. They have put a stent in one side but apparently his heart is in a bad state although there have been no indications of this.

It has knocked me completely sideways because we have always been very close. My lovely sister-in-law is being very calm but they are about to celebrate their golden wedding and a more devoted couple I've never met.

I don't think I'm making much sense, sorry.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Helebore
    • By Helebore 11th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Helebore
    Sending thoughts your way, and to your brother too Monna.
    All love, Helena x
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 11th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 9,110 Posts
    • 58,063 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Sorry to hear that, monnagran. May white light surround and protect him. He is in the right place. Try and sleep tonight if you can, he is safe for now.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 11th Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I will pray for him tonight monna and you too.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Much love to you , your dear brother and his wife monna . I've already got the candle lit so positive and healing vibes heading to your brother and a warm hug to you .
    Have a word with the big guy then try to get some rest if you can .

polly & k xx
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Jul 18, 10:48 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 33,876 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Sending love to you and your brother Monna, and to your sister in law too xxx
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 12th Jul 18, 4:45 AM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 10,414 Thanks
    shanks77
    Sending love in your brothers direction Monna xx
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jul 18, 5:53 AM
    • 12,391 Posts
    • 78,254 Thanks
    kittie
    a candle burning brightly and much love to you and your brother monna
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jul 18, 6:09 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 39,404 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna Just read your news, so sorry, if you need anything (lifts or pup walking etc) just shout x Love to you all, hope your brother feels a little more comfortable this morning x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Jul 18, 6:10 AM
    • 3,759 Posts
    • 47,407 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Huge hugs to Monna and her brother.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

399Posts Today

5,446Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin