Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,607Posts
    • 32,919Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 408
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff

Heck that all sounds like I'm negative and putting barriers up. I don't mean to be a moaning Mini. I will suss it all out... at the expense of the housework though, unfortunately.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    You're not moaning, figuring it all out is very time consuming, occasionally frustrating and as you say, more expensive. I've also said the same things recently, and in our case, it's at the expense of getting more reno done!

I've found that a nice breakfast crustless quiche makes for a cheap and easy brekkie (bacon bit, mushrooms, spinach, eggs, cheese). I'm not sure if you'll be able to find similar there, but here a local butcher sells nitrate free decent bacon in little offcut bags cheaper than the supermarket sell their bad stuff. In a similar vein, a local fishmonger sells "salmon bellies", odd shaped salmon offcuts, at less than a third of the price per kilo of regular salmon. Same good foods, just odd shapes. Another thing I find to be cheaper is the giant chunk of meat, slow cooked and pulled. Whether pork, lamb or beef is cheap or on special, a 5kg piece cooked, pulled and bagged for the freezer makes a heap of different meals.

If we recruit a dragon... will Mardatha eat it?

Imagine if the dragon melted all the jelly babies, what would you do Mar?
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    switch to marshmallows?
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Jul 18, 10:41 PM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 63,435 Thanks
    silvasava
    If we're going to to have a dragon a) it will be female and b) needs a suitable name - I'm thinking of something that conveys power and compassion - tall order!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Jul 18, 2:53 AM
    • 15,285 Posts
    • 148,527 Thanks
    mardatha
    Up during the night again. Wee touch of indigestion.
    Must be something I et.. Hmm.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 11th Jul 18, 6:26 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,646 Thanks
    Floss
    Up during the night again. Wee touch of indigestion.
    Must be something I et.. Hmm.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Any heartburn Mar?
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 11th Jul 18, 6:27 AM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 25,989 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    We don't even have the dragon yet Mar! Have you been eating the brochures?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Jul 18, 6:36 AM
    • 15,285 Posts
    • 148,527 Thanks
    mardatha
    Nooo it wasn't a dragon. I think it was the trunk that did it. A trunk too far...
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Jul 18, 7:42 AM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 54,217 Thanks
    monnagran
    Think twice before you tamper with our Dragon, mar. Look! Even tablet blesses it/her with a capital letter.
    I would like to point out that it/her will only be compassionate when with us. The rest of the time it/she will be roaming the land breathing fire and slaughter.

So, who is going to be spending today hiding from the football mania that seems to have gripped the country and who will be dancing down the High Street draped in a Union Jack and singing, "Football's Coming Home."
    I will have to watch the match so that I can sound intelligent when going over every move with DS1 afterwards. That's my excuse.

I'm debating a visit to T*sc* on the special bus versus a day pottering at home. I should go shopping but would prefer to stay at home. Decisions, decisions.

I'm still over the moon at the successful rescue in Thailand. Those wonderful divers had to have such amazing expertise but they had to have something else.
    In a tribute to them I'm repeating the THOUGHT that used a few days ago.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Sometimes miracles are just good people with kind hearts.
    Last edited by monnagran; 11-07-2018 at 8:10 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Emptynester
    • By Emptynester 11th Jul 18, 8:03 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Emptynester
    Would the Dragon be prepared to travel from fencer to fencer to help with defrosting freezers?
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 11th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,057 Thanks
    VJsmum
    If we're going to to have a dragon a) it will be female and b) needs a suitable name - I'm thinking of something that conveys power and compassion - tall order!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Clearly it should be a Welsh name - Angharad? Blodwen?

I will watch the footie, if we get to the final I will definitely watch- it's once in a lifetime... (To be clear, I was actually alive in 1966, but was only 2 )

DD is on a date this morning. A coffee date, but a date. DD is bisexual and its with a woman. It's the first date she's had for years - her previous dates were with weird men, so let's hope this goes better.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Cocketts
    • By Cocketts 11th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    Cocketts
    Plenty of protein is good but there is no need to take it to ridiculous extremes.

I rather fancy a Dragon. Just try putting that in the freezer Mar. The fiery breath would melt all the other goodies you have stashed away.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Can we call it 'Puff'.......
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Would the Dragon be prepared to travel from fencer to fencer to help with defrosting freezers?
    Originally posted by Emptynester
    Do you think it could clean my non-pyrolytic oven?

VJsmum, my half sisters girlfriend is bisexual and previously was even married to a weird man, they are now blissfully happy together. I wish the same for your DD, sometimes women are easier to date!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,097 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    FUDS the war recipes might be just as good if you use sunflower oil instead of the cooking fat and spelt flour is just flour so you can use it in everything that needs wheat flour without fuss. Iceland do a 5% fat mince at 3 for 400g and it is as good as anything from an up market butchers. Oat bran makes a lovely porridge, I've got a recipe but unfortunately I've packed the book already so as soon as I've moved I'll post it for you and I'm certain you can use it in baking too as an extender so that ought to eek out the more expensive spelt flour and make the budget a little less. would think up to 1/4 of the flour weight replaced with oat bran ought to make an OK end product.

You do really well in the making resources meet demand on the housekeeping, I suspect that each of us is finding that what used to be normal expenditure each for food has gone up substantially even if you're vegan and that hard choices are having to be made. Health food shops are expensive places to shop because they're seen as 'choice' but for you dear girl the alternative ingredients aren't choice they're necessary for your health and future. You're doing all you can love, and you'll find a way through the minefield. You always do! xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 63,435 Thanks
    silvasava
    Clearly it should be a Welsh name - Angharad? Blodwen?

Bhutan have a dragon on their flag - apparently she is heard when you hear thunder - I quite like that

I will watch the footie, if we get to the final I will definitely watch- it's once in a lifetime... (To be clear, I was actually alive in 1966, but was only 2 )

Although I hope we do well I won't be watching it - I have a committee meeting tonight that the time has been rescheduled to accommodate the football so I'll be doing a 30+ mile round trip for about an hour - not best pleased as it could have been changed to a different date as we need more time.

DD is on a date this morning. A coffee date, but a date. DD is bisexual and its with a woman. It's the first date she's had for years - her previous dates were with weird men, so let's hope this goes better.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Fingers crossed for your DD that her date goes well.
    Last edited by silvasava; 11-07-2018 at 9:14 AM. Reason: Couldn't highlight my comments!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 5,920 Posts
    • 64,369 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I love the name Angharad Hope DD has a happy time, VJdmum
    • Floss
    • By Floss 11th Jul 18, 9:41 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,646 Thanks
    Floss
    Blodwen the Blower...
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 15,285 Posts
    • 148,527 Thanks
    mardatha
    It's COLD up here!! have you all pinched my heatwave???
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 63,435 Thanks
    silvasava
    No Mar - our Dragon has taken a deep breath
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 11th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Yes I was cold when I got up at 6.30am. I'm still wearing the light sweatshirt I put on.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,097 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Dilys the Dragon? or maybe Vesta who is the Goddess of Hearths? or even Daffodil (Dilly for short) as that's the national flower of wales Isn't it?

SIBYL, GLADYS, DOLORES, GLORIA,HILDA??? all seem appropriate xxx
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 11-07-2018 at 1:19 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 5,920 Posts
    • 64,369 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ooh, now i do rather like "Dilys"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter