Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,521Posts
    • 32,234Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 405
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Jul 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3,782 Posts
    • 46,637 Thanks
    maryb
    So glad I don't have to attend any mandatory training sessions any more. I remember just before I decided to go, they had an "owning your career" workshop (that's usually code for redundancies on the horizon, get used to the idea now)
    Anyway, they started off by going round the room and asking everyone to say where they saw themselves in ten year's time. I said straight out "retired!!" This would not have gone down well but for the fact that the partner in charge of our group was also there, laughed and said "you beat me to it"
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Jul 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    There is constant drilling coming from next door. I suspect they are getting their central heating. I can't go out I have a man coming to put me a smart meter in.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 47,551 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Maryb, where I used to work, for the last two years I was there, we had performance management interviews every bloody year and every year I was asked that same question. Every time I replied retired, one year I was told that my reply was negative and disheartening to my colleagues so I needed to form a positive reply. So after failing one year to attain any of my objectives, because they contradicted each other, I was reminded that I needed to give a positive response so I told them I was positive that I was being sh it on.
    My reply reduced my colleagues to hysterics so it was worth it.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 5,622 Posts
    • 60,732 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh dear, nursemaggie i do hope that at any rate the smart meter man turns up!

Regarding Pensions - I was 64 last October and became entitled to my State pension last Friday. My friend who was 64 last month won't get hers until 66.

Thank goodness, it's meant to be a bit cooler for a couple of days from tomorrow. At least it will be a break. I don't mind 24-25, but 30-31 is a different kettle of fish, especially when it's so warm and muggy at night as well.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 09-07-2018 at 2:33 PM.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 10,655 Posts
    • 116,930 Thanks
    LameWolf
    *waves feebly*
    I aiten't dead.
    Just overheated (lupie thermostat broken to start with), stressed, brainfogged and dealing with a shedload of shyte that the Universe has just dumped on me.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Jul 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Virtual hugs LW.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 77,212 Thanks
    VJsmum
    So sorry some of you are struggling in the heat - I'm still loving it for myself though. Not just the heat, but the light - makes such a difference.

Well, DS did his mega bike ride and sleep out amongst the stars - but he said he'd never do it again - he got back saturday and still hasn't unpacked his rucksack.

OH and i and 2 friends are walking the Wales coast path. This weekend we walked about 30 miles over the two days and climbed the equivalent of about 200 floors All booked before the heatwave, of course.... Gosh, but it was glorious though. Saturday we walked about 14.5 miles, stayed in a B&B overnight and then another 15.5 or so miles yesterday. The last hill was a bu88er we got home at 9.00 last night and still had to cook dinner

At one point we were stood on a headland and could see water on three sides of us - and an azure blue sea at that. just wonderful - you can't beat the uk when the weather is like that. Regrettably, it is rarely like that..

Ah well, back to the grind...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 52,055 Thanks
    monnagran
    Thank you all for your advice. I do actually do all these things, I've learned a lot about my peculiar self in the last 80 years but it doesn't stop me moaning about the need to accommodate all these failings. Sorry.

I remember watching my mum run cold water over her wrists, not only when hot but when stressed or upset in any way. I've always done the same, it works like magic. Maybe it reminds me of my mother and gives me comfort. I dunno.

I got going early this morning to take advantage of the coolth I have cleaned all the venetian blinds in the big living room. That will be for the last time. I hope. I have the upstairs ones to do but I'll start on them tomorrow. I do want to leave the house sparkling if I do happen to move in September.

DS2 took Millie to the groomers this morning to have a pedicure. She won't let anyone near her with clippers in their hand, but she will (reluctantly) submit to the groomer. Apparently there were other dogs there waiting and Millie was thrilled because she thought it was playtime. The other dogs were up for it, but one owner noted Millie's size and gathered her darling to her protectively. They have no idea what a wuss they have met.

Well, coffee break over and I am going to start packing books. One box a day is my aim. Trouble is, I keep reading the books instead of putting them in the box. Trying to stop myself from opening a book before putting it in the box is very, very hard.

ETA. LW, I'm so sorry that you are living through a nightmare. If only I could actually DO something instead of mouthing platitudes, I'd do it willingly. I think I'll follow Polly's example and light a candle for you.
    I bet that makes you feel much better!
    Last edited by monnagran; 09-07-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 9th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 33,990 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I want to gather you all up and bring you here where it's chilly. Bring the heffalump. We can make it positively arctic if we put the aircon on too.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Jul 18, 12:39 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Softstuff any other time I would love to come and visit you, I really would. I don't want to miss any of this lovely weather. It is doing me good. As VJsmum says and the light. It's not so sunny today a little cloudy so cooler.

I remember arctic air con in the better shops and the cinema when we were in Singapore. I always took a cardigan to the cinema. Monna would probably spend every day in a cinema.

Another thing we had there was night markets. They would set up stalls along the streets and open around 7pm when it got dark. Singapore is fairly near the Equator so it got dark about the same time every day.

What ever they are doing next door everything stopped dead on 12 o'clock. I'm hoping my engineer comes before they start again because I may not hear him if they are drilling.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jul 18, 2:10 PM
    • 15,009 Posts
    • 144,187 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ws 14c and drizzle this morning, the birds looked happy. Blue skies with white fluffy clouds and 21c now. I like it hot, but not as hot as I used to like it. If that makes sense. I know it's been too hot to do anything - but I rarely do anything anyway so that's all right.
    Rotator cuff tear doesn't seem to be getting any better, still walking around here with an arm permanently clamped to my chest.
    Very very low in energy and was wondering this morning when things will pick up
    But still reading along. Nice to see you WCS.
    Oooooh - and I dyed my hair pastel pink. By mistake, but it's so nice I think I'll keep it. It's platinum silver blond (this week) and I put a pink on it to make it less harsh and cold. But it's very very light pink instead
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 12,424 Posts
    • 78,534 Thanks
    kittie
    mar, patience, it takes months and lots of exercises later, when you can bear to do them. My hairdresser went pink too, very nice and it has to be purple next, blue on top of pink

Oh goodness me, in reality, this air is horrible, no freshness at all. My neighbour a retired gp, has started using her husbands asthma pump. 36.9 celsius is trying to come in, 29 high up on the field and the 4 sheep left on that yellow field are lying down in flimsy shade, even the birds have gone. I am managing to maintain 24 downstairs but it isn`t easy and I am thanking the blind makers, they reflect the sun back. These are my blinds, bari and are worth their weight in gold
    https://www.247blinds.co.uk/bari-spc-mischka-roller-blind

I am planning to go to the allotment at 7 but I see that it isn`t going to cool down much by then, I have work to do and hard goods to sort and gradually remove, wash and store, ready to move
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Jul 18, 3:03 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Your hair sounds nice mar It will take a long time to heal, muscular tears take longer than bones. You will have to do a lot of exercises afterwards. Are you eating a little more protein? That will help.

You will feel tired you are using your energy to heal.

I'm still singing that song. I hear something, sing it for a few minutes and then 3 wheels on my wagon comes back.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 15,009 Posts
    • 144,187 Thanks
    mardatha
    I forgot about the song lol sorrrry!
    Kittie I have blinds very like these, thermal and blackout. I got them for really bad stormy winds.
    I see the bone trauma clinic Thurs, maybe then I'll feel I'm getting somewhere.
    I'm on my couch comatose and the RV is on his (bigger) couch sleeping and snoring. It's all go up here I'm telling you. Party animals R us
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 9th Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 25,290 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    I love the sound of the pink hair!

It is cooler here today with intermittent sun and clouds. I've taken advantage of the weather and being off work to try a couple of new recipes--an old fashioned fatless sponge and I've used up the bilberries with an apple in little filo parcels. I was impressed with how high the sponge got, although I think i cooked it a bit to low as it was a tiny bit dry. I know it will be drier than other sorts but our oven temperature isn't accurate and I think I guessed wrong. I made up a bit of cream cheese icing for the top--half a tub of philadelphia light with icing sugar and vanilla. I only made a half recipe of the cake and it was huge--I could have sliced and sandwiched it, although i didn't bother. I usually only do half recipes of cakes since there are only two of us. I need to go and write down what I did in my little recipe book. I also need to thin the radish plants this afternoon. I hate thinning. I always feels like so much waste.

Monna i don't sweat either--I do eventually, but it takes quite a lot. of heat and quite a lot of exertion. I use the cold water trick too and stay in the shade. I also have wide brimmed sun hats that are almost always with me in summer and they help me a lot...but I get cold easily. When I do get too warm it is miserable, it just doesn't happen often

I have two bits of fabric set aside but can't decide what to do with them. I was hoping to make a list to get the notions etc. in town tomorrow but I may just have to have an aimless mooch and see if inspiration strikes.x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 52,055 Thanks
    monnagran
    Pink hair, mar? Why am I not surprised? Happy comatosing.

FairyP, I know just what you mean about thinning out. I had a friend whose husband decided that he would aid the family's finances by growing vegetables. He thought he would start small by sowing radishes. My friend said they might have stood a better chance if he hadn't kept digging them up to see how they were doing.

Success. I suddenly remembered that about 3 years ago I picked up and air condioner on Freegle. I couldn't see how it worked so put it away and have never needed it until now. I unearthed from the back of the garage and dragged it in. To my surprise I noticed an envelope taped to the bottom containing precise instructions on operating it. Result! My room which was 32 this time yesterday is now a much more acceptable 26. It's a bit noisy so I don't think I will leave it on all night, the fan is quieter.

I have been going through one of my bookcases ruthlessly weeding out books for the CS. So far I have a pile of one and spent a happy couple of hours reading the history of my old Grammar School, my mother's too in the 1920s. It was written when it was turned into a sixth form college. It brought back many happy memories and a realisation that I was truly privileged to have that sort of education. As one of the contributors wrote "nothing seems unattainable to girls who have been to single sex schools because they have had female role models before them in every position of authority and achievement".

I am well aware that this has not been everyone's experience and that it doesn't fit in to the demands of today, but I am thankful that it was there for me.
    I was also reminded that the school motto was "ESSE QUAM VIDERI" officially, for non Latin speakers, " To be rather than to seem to be." and which we irreverent schoolgirls translated as "What you see is what you get."

Enough! It doesnt take much to lead me in a trot down memory lane.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 52,055 Thanks
    monnagran
    Just lost another long post. It must be your lucky day.

Pink hair Mar? Why am I not surprised? Happy comatosing.

FairyP. Know what you mean about thinning. Don't do what a friend's husband did and keep digging them up to see how they are doing. It makes radishes sulk.

Found an old air conditioner at the back of the garage.. Temp in my room now a chilly 26. YAY!

Been through the biggest bookcase, brutally weeding books out to go to the CS. I have a pile of one. Pathetic!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 52,055 Thanks
    monnagran
    So now you have the post and a precis of the post. How did that happen? Not your lucky day after all.

Pulls cover over cage and disappears.
    Last edited by monnagran; 09-07-2018 at 7:10 PM.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Jul 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Well no sign of my engineer for my smart meter. He was supposed to come between 12pm and 4pm. I cooked too much for my dinner. It was something I used to make years ago. DS does not like it so a long time since I last cooked it. I only ate 2/3 of it. It was a pasta dish with lots of veg and beans. I only put in a tiny bit of pasta and I am really hungry again after less than 3 hours. I think I will have to eat the rest.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Jul 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 47,551 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I fancy having pink hair too Mar, but I think CHS would have coniptions.
    I went to an single sex school and sent my kids to single sex schools, it certainly help turn my girls into strong women.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

248Posts Today

2,877Users online

Martin's Twitter