Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,735Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 404
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 22,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Kittie I often feel we've lived a parallel life at times . Food coops . Cranks and now link a bord . Some of my raised beds are timber but many are Link a bord which are so versatile and adaptable . I have the hoops too for winter and spring protection .

The four water butts here have been dry for weeks , At the bottom of the back garden there is a strip extending about 7ft forward from the fence across the width . A quick dig will bring up water . When it became obvious with digging down to put fencing in during the summer of 76 the site manager couldn't work out what had happened so called in the water company with the plans . No pipes there so it's either a natural spring or an offshoot of the Irish sea . It is very useful .

Good luck with the move . I'm sure your DH would have been proud of you ,
    polly x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 5,826 Posts
    • 63,332 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    WCS Even though money will be tight, it will be a huge relief to be able to rest when you need to.

Camelot Glad you've had a happy day with your grandchildren

kittie no wonder you're annoyed!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 22,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Panda If you have freezer space it helps to store flour and similar foods that way . I've noticed bread is going off very quickly so am storing half a loaf in the freezer . Glass or stainless steel containers or anything air tight are best for storing cupboard food . Packets and cartons are an invitation to what my eldest daughter used to call the weasels !

Hope all is well .

polly xx
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 8th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 17,231 Thanks
    westcoastscot

WCS I know you will have tough financial times but you have no idea how long I've wished you could leave the job . You've survived tough times and I'm just so glad you wont be pushing yourself way beyond your comfort zone anymore . Wishing you well in your " Retirement " although as Hester and so many of us can confirm it seems a bit of a myth and life sends other stuff to fill our days .
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Pollyanna yes it's a huge relief - i just couldn't deal with other people's problems anymore - especially in this climate. I'm very much keeping my head down for as long as I can, so I don't get "volunteered" for anything just now :-)
    I'm not being replaced at work though, so feel quite guilty :-(

Ivyleaf it makes all the difference knowing I don't have to keep going each day!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 9:04 PM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 22,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    WCS I understand the guilt thing . It's something I've had to work on recently myself . You obviously know not replacing you is stretching your co workers in a heavily under pressure service . It will take a while but logically you couldn't keep working yourself into the ground .
    It's not fair on yourself and the problem is not of your making .

Sometimes we have to sort out our priorities . I was lucky to be in the last group of women to have a pension age of 60 . To expect every woman to suddenly see the goal posts move was unfair .

I bought Matt Haigs new book on Friday and it's small and simple but helps take a clear look at an ever more busy world and how to retain some headspace and clarity . I'm trying to slow my thoughts while lots is going on .

Wishing you all the best , you've done more than your fair share in many ways through life .

polly - Poldark time ! x
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 8th Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 17,231 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Yes, 67 for me so a long time to go. I've always been rich in everything but money so shall be fine. This far I'm enjoying the frugal challenge !!!55357;!!!56832; will look out for that book x
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 8th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 41,113 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    67 here too.

One of my colleagues was a month into the 'window' and has to work to 64\5 without any notice - very unfair

Previous posts refer to lack of volunteers, this is only going to get worse when retirement ages increase - no one will have the time, or when they do, the energy
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Jul 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,554 Thanks
    MMF007
    Yes, not only a loss of volunteers and family carers but also when the folks stay at work there will be no jobs for the youngsters who'd previously have found their way into the retiree's workplace when a job became vacant.

Oh so many ripples from that pebble, even though some action was needed to fund pensions. Of course the Govt is happily whipping up inter-generational woe by talking about youngsters having a hard time while pensioners live it up. Makes my blood boil how the truth is being twisted so that further costs / reduced benefits can be imposed on older members of society who have paid in all their lives.

Sorry to rant. Will get off my soapbox now!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    WCS I too am very glad to see that you are back and have come around that nasty bend in the lane

Pollyanna, I just dismantled three 4 x 8 beds and they are not showing any signs of wear after 8 years, just faded with the sun, I have rinsed them and will cherish them, they should see me out. I bought hoops and legs from harrods horticultural, 3 hoops in a row and double canes on each side and at the top, brilliant cages and you can make them very tall, taller than the gooseberry standards. I am so glad I kept buying them, the link a bords.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 49,380 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Orgasmic blueberries, that made me laugh Silver oldie.
    Welcome back WCS.
    I hope everyone is coping ok with the heat, it was slightly cooler here today but we've had a lazy day, we walked a mile and abit to get rid of our rubbish ans watched the GP.
    I cooked roast lamb, I cook a roast most Sundays as it's one of CHS'S favourite meals.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 8th Jul 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    We went for a walk before it got too hot but we didn't get up very early, well I did but returned to bed at CHS'S invitation! When I got up again an hour later we were surrounded fishermen, how embarrassing!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    This is why we can't get wine delivered from a certain wine company here... We were "enjoying" our loungeroom in the middle of the day (temporary curtains up) and afterwards discovered a carton of 12 bottles of wine on the doorstep. We're both sure they didn't even knock

Panda, everything in packets needs checking and if OK, putting in airtight containers. Then the shelving needs a good wipe out, particularly the edges. We've had them once after a box of pasta from the supermarket, but never since.

On the subject of watering, we have some nice watering cans on our kitchen benchtop. Any time we're waiting for hot water, the cold goes into filling the watering cans. Another Aussie trick for those who shower, is to put a bucket in the shower with them. Be careful watering edibles with anything like soap, shower gel or shampoo though.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,911 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    DS came for dinner. He brought me a huge bag of oranges, he says he does not like them they are bitter. They look a bit like Seville oranges but they should not be around at this time of year. If they are I don't have any jam jars.

I hope you are OK Monna You said you would come back.

The smell of the fires cleared away mid morning but it came back tonight. DS says he has smelled it everyday but it is more open where he lives. It blows straight down the hill to where he is.

The volunteer shortage could have more to do with the attitude of Charities now. They want guaranteed time every week for four or five hours. They treat it like you are applying to be CO of a big multinational not a few hours a week serving in a shop or sorting through things. There is no way I could guarantee I would be there every week I never know how well I will be from one day to the next. Five hour shifts are too much for me. I could not stand for more than three. They want references just like you were applying for a paid job.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 22,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Yes, 67 for me so a long time to go. I've always been rich in everything but money so shall be fine. This far I'm enjoying the frugal challenge !!!55357;!!!56832; will look out for that book x
    Originally posted by westcoastscot
    It's better to be rich in everything but money than count your riches by your bank balance .
    Lots of us OSers have known tough times but in a way it's brought us through the good and bad times . We know we can survive on very little , how to make do and mend and make a good life . You learn the important things in life and don't get blinded by bling and tempted into debt .

MMF If you look along this fence there are probably a number of us with a soapbox ! I've had mine since the 60s . Many of us saw division coming a long time ago . It's a cruel method to divide and conquer . My concerns are for the generations younger than us , their loved ones and children and generations to come .
    You're correct about volunteering , part of my thinking through things at the moment concerns the many things I'm involved with and it's difficult to choose any to ease up on .

Kittie I chose the link a bords for their green credentials and have had them a long time and sometimes think they'll outlive me . I bought my hoops and things from HH too . I love that company .

Hester I will be lying in bed thinking of roast lamb . It's the only meat I eat nowadays and my favourite especially lamb steaks with garlic and rosemary . I'm sticking with cold meals at the moment but may head for the garage freezer tomorrow as i know there are organic lamb leg steaks from the village butcher in there .

SS I keep a large jug by the sink for the water while waiting for the hot to come through . I can't remember if I replied to your post about the charity shop shirt but if not well done . You've been so strong and determined in your efforts and I expect you smile each time you wear that shirt .

The first cutting of my two earliest lavenders have dried naturally outdoors hung from the arbour . Usually they get done indoors . Everything has been prolific but earlier than usual so far . The roses have been and are stunning . I only grow climbers and ramblers nowadays .

It's still hot here tonight . If I complain about rain in the future feel free to shout at me .

I wish you all some sleep . I'm not sure when your appts are NM but hope the journeys aren't too taxing .

Night all

polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 22,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I always seem to just miss your post NM . I think it depends on the charity . There are many I wouldn't touch with a barge pole nowadays . Our local hospice and animal rescue are genuine and glad of any help .Same with the lifeboat , soup kitchen and voluntary advice groups .

I got some lovely Wonky satsuma's in Morrison's on Friday . I'm not really fond of citrus fruits but have loved satsumas since childhood . They normally have quite a short season after Christmas so odd to see them now . They were quite cheap and very nice . Coop has been selling Scottish strawberries in large packs which are a good buy . Mine are not quite ready but the local farms are beginning to have them .

We really do need rain to clear the air but none in the forecast so far . I too hope Monna is ok . People I know who usually enjoy hot weather are struggling now . I shall never wonder or ponder on weather related things ever again . I feel as though I've brought a repeat of the year which will remain nameless our way . At least Michael Fish got the hurricane wrong but then that went badly for us then .

Bedtime ,
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Jul 18, 12:52 AM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 22,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Interesting times news wise in the past hour . I'll get to bed yet
    polly x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Jul 18, 5:09 AM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 100,368 Thanks
    fuddle
    Welcome back WCS it's lovely to see you again.

Yes polly, what a mess this Brexit thing is turning out to be. I wonder if this is the final straw hat sees someone else at the helm. All I know is we know nothing and time is running out!

Super weekend although we did little else than dip our toes in at the waters edge and watch the football amongst our Scots neighbours who that it would be funny to paint their face in the colours of the Swedish flag and set about in Viking hats. Wind up merchants you Scots the majority left the site pub after the second goal and those who were left shook DH's hand at the end. May I add that I would only watch England play in Scotland in our site pub. The barman, waitress and the a couple of site staff are English. We're known and have Scots pals. We're not daft

That thing called sleep has got up and gone and I'm sat supping peppermint tea wondering what this week shall bring.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 3,967 Posts
    • 53,751 Thanks
    monnagran
    I'm wondering too, fuddle.

Sorry to be so quiet, although I thought you might be glad to have been spared my ramblings for a while. The truth is that I find life difficult in extreme weather. My automatic body-control temperature has always been dicey and seems to get worse as I get older. I don't sweat. I don't even glow. So in this heat I just lay under a fan and do nothing.

However, this morning my bedroom is down to 24 as it jolly well should be as the fan has been on all night.

Talking of volunteers, my dear friend who was given 6 months to live in 2012 and who is still soldiering on, although, as she says, with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin, volunteers at the local hospice shop. She says that she is anxious to make the hospice as luxurious as possible before she moves in.
    Anyway, the PTB decided in their charitable wisdom that, as the people who came into the shop might be in need of special help and understanding, all the volunteers should be trained. A special training course was set up that they had to attend . My friend was amused but dutifully turned up. They were all given a gingerbread man as they entered. Apparently they were going to learn how to show empathy with this gingerbread man. Unfortunately Julie had absentmindedly broken off an arm and eaten it. The trainer was appalled. Julie went home during the lunch break. She is still working in the Hospice Shop.

Well, time for my shot of caffeine, I'm not as pure as my dear fuddle and don't function without my early morning coffee.

I may be back later, but don't worry nm if I'm not. I may be on my way up to move into your cold room.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Sometimes miracles are just good people with kind hearts.
    Last edited by monnagran; 09-07-2018 at 7:09 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jul 18, 6:55 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    monna and others, the body MUST cool so wet the body and let it dry naturally, having a shower and not towelling works too.

I am acting like a sloth in the house and am inside all day with the fan on, day and night. My circadian rhythm has turned upside, I don`t want food, so I listen to what my body wants, food is heating and I only eat when hungry and just foods like lettuce. I am having a nap mid-day, up early and bed later

We are all different and metabolisms change as we get older, who is to say what older is, it might be forty for some. Adaptation is very difficult for the very young, the poorly and the older ones

Watering pots: put a drop or two of washing up liquid in the watering can, it will help the water disperse in the soil and not run straight through
    Last edited by kittie; 09-07-2018 at 7:00 AM.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 9th Jul 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I think I love your friend Julie Monna. Partly because had I been there, whilst she was being berated for eating the arm I would have been chewing on the head and waiting for my dressing down
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,911 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Polly and Monna The charity shop I wanted to volunteer for is our local hospice. They do not want me unless I can commit to a five hour shift at a particular day and time. And they want 2 references. Where am I going to get them from? I retired 12 years ago. I would like to do 3 hours twice a week rather than 5 all at once. If it was really busy I know I can't hack 5 hours at once, it's just too much. I don't even mind if I do two separate shops because the one near me will take the same time to walk to as it takes to get to town on the bus to the one in town.

I know I have long days when I go to the hospital and I do manage it but I really have to push myself. Then it knocks me out for a couple of days. This weeks appointment is here in Bolton. I only have to go into town, there is a big outpatient department in the leisure centre.

Kittie is right monna. A quick in and out of the shower with just tepid water, just pat a towel on yourself not fully dry and them let yourself dry. Only wash with soap once a day or you will get dry and sore skin. Alternatively you can stand on a towel at the wash basin and splash cool water on your self. You can do it as many times as you need to.

Another thing you can do in between is run cold water over your wrists and splash your face. Drink lots of cold water rather than tea and coffee.

I would have started eating the gingerbread man too. I don't know how you can have empathy with a gingerbread man they are for eating.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter