Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,736Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 403
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 8th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    We went for a walk around the reservoir--about two hours before it got too hot. We've had some lunch and I'm going to head out into the garden shortly as soon as I change some washing over. I think a book on the picnic blanket under the tree for this afternoon, complete with an iced decaf coffee and some nectarines later. Tea tonight is sea bass on top of a lentil salad and we have watermelon for pudding.

The levels in the reservoir were shockingly low. We stopped at Mr T on the way home to pick up spring onions I'd forgotten yesterday and the watermelon--we'd planned to get it at the greengrocers as theirs are nicest but it was shut today--it isn't usually on a Sunday. The spring onions were reduced and I also snagged some raspberries and blackberries that way. Marred only by the man in the large 4X4 we parked next to. He was sitting there when we arrived, car idling and still sitting there idling when we left. It seemed such a waste, running that big car just for the air con.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 63,397 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    kittie i am eating cherries and browsing the forum Not planning to go out again (was out for a while this morning). goodness knows what's for dinner tonight. Will have a rummage in the freezer, which sounds a particularly good idea in this weather!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Kittie I'm watching as yet unconfirmed reports that the first two trapped boys are now on their way to hospital by ambulance .
    Really amazing ream work and proper common sense in the rescue plan . May all boys and rescuers emerge safely .

polly
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jul 18, 1:58 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 31,567 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I am tamping, fuming internally. I will give it a sprinkle from time to time but not my fault if it turns to a crisp, its hard enough to water my own via cans.
    Originally posted by kittie
    Why didn't you just say no then or are you just joking about not doing the watering? Our very own Fuddle had this done to her and was very upset at the time.

Ironing done, just a roast dinner to make in a bit. I kid you not. The HT is fed up of pizza and pasta salad and has asked for a proper dinner with vegetables He did just hand me his sports kit that he forgot to put in the wash basket but he has another clean shirt and socks so those bits are ok. His shorts are currently soaking in the bathroom wash basin but they're very lightweight single layer material and they'll be dry in less than half an hour in this weather.

I washed the sheet off the HT's bed yesterday with the white wash and was going to do the rest of his bedding today but I've had a change if heart and stripped everything of his bed so the sheet has been washed again. How he manages to sleep wrapped in his duvet in this weather is beyond me so his bedding is getting lots of extra washes.

I cried when I read that the first two boys were out. Please let the rest of them come out safely. I was upset last night when I read about the man that died. The late MrC had to do a lot of underwater escape courses as part of his job and I hated even thinking about it. How it must feel when people that you love are trapped......
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,725 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    There are six boys out now and they have been helicoptered to hospital, isn't it wonderful?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 31,567 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    There are six boys out now and they have been helicoptered to hospital, isn't it wonderful?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Surely is Mrs LW
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,554 Thanks
    MMF007
    Phew, the sun is fierce again. I have done some domestic admin, cooked myself outside for 1/2 hour, watered the driest pots that are in the shade atm, just had salad for lunch and am planning on reading in the shade !

Have said that the housework will have to wait till Tues (my next day off)!

I shall use the washing up water to water the remaining tubs. We are being very sparing with water, and showers are lasting a few minutes (not timed it but doing it as quick as poss).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Kittie It's not my usual way but I'm finding it easier now to say a polite sorry in some circumstances .

A roast Cranky ? Imagine that in the tones of Lady Bracknell . You're a braver woman than I at the moment . I seem to be putting the washing machine on too many times between bedding and clothes . No duvets on beds here and salads , fruit and egg and cheese based meals at the moment with chilled soups .
    However I recall the days of the hollow legged growing son so understand .

Welcome back to WCS , Hope you and yours are ok .

Mar I'm way behind on posts but podiatry is a good start . They'll take measurements for tailored inserts . It helped dd so much when she first got them about 5 years ago and she still uses them now . Just a phone call to the hospital when she needs another set .
    Are you now referred to Rheumo ? I don't stand a chance of checking back to find out .

It's so hot here . Reservoirs are very low FPK . I can't understand why UU still haven't brought the hosepipe ban in .

Take care NM . Air quality is bad here now which is pretty unusual . Still got the public health warning so must be much worse for you .
    polly
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jul 18, 4:07 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    [QUOTE=CRANKY40;74503240]Why didn't you just say no then or are you just joking about not doing the watering? Our very own Fuddle had this done to her and was very upset at the time.

I beg your pardon cranky, I don`t like your tone. Our very own dear fuddle was in a completely different circumstance. I am a good neighbour and the only one who is always up there and able to keep her allotment alive. What made me cross is the lack of empathy and forethought on her part

By a sprinkle I mean 2 x 10 litre cans a day max, however the allotment is not a greenhouse and a very different situatuation

FP I think they should have hosepipe bans already in place. There is no sign of rain until october, nothing more in july, maybe a shower or 2 up north around the 17th. August is looking searing too, according to models and we all know that september can be very dry.

Most people water their outside plants incorrectly, depends on the soil. Clay deep down, like mine, holds water, the top will crust and the roots will go down to the moist clay. The only plants that really need water here are shallow rooted plants like raspberries
    Last edited by kittie; 08-07-2018 at 4:14 PM.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 31,567 Thanks
    CRANKY40

I beg your pardon cranky, I don`t like your tone. Our very own dear fuddle was in a completely different circumstance. I am a good neighbour and the only one who is always up there and able to keep her allotment alive. What made me cross is the lack of empathy and forethought on her part
    Originally posted by kittie
    It was the way that what you said came across. I don't know you or your neighbour but if I'd gone on holiday I would probably have asked my neighbour the same and hoped she'd do her best but felt extremely bad about asking when I realised what had happened. Maybe your neighbour will feel the same? I'm currently minding/supervising two dogs, one teenager and two gardens. It's meant extra work because of the heat but I know that the person who asked me to do it had no idea that it was going to be as hot as this. This weather is unusual for the UK. Feel free to put me on ignore.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 4:45 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,725 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Phew! have just lost an hour after retreating up for a lay down in the cooler half of the house, doesn't this heat make you feel fratchety? I think it's not being able to get in a sound deep sleep at night, I was awake until past midnight last night and then awake again at 4 am and I find I'm getting crochety about neighbours making so much noise in their gardens which is totally unreasonable because it's Sunday and a lovely day so why shouldn't they be in the garden. Not precisely suffering in the heat but it's limiting what I'm able to do and I hate being stuck indoors! Roll on cooler weather, good sleeps and tranquillity as a result!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 31,567 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    They've revised the rescued total to four Mrs LW but they were the weakest four apparently.

Edited to add that the HT had just eaten a roast dinner that would put a ditch digger to shame. He really was missing vegetables then. I hope all the mums of the boys trapped in the cave get to make their boys some dinner soon. The simple things get taken for granted sometimes.
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 08-07-2018 at 5:11 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,725 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Picked that up on the news when I came back down, pretty amazing to get four of the lads out it's a job well done. The news said six but I think there was no real knowledge released by tptb and the reported was counting ambulances! 10 hours off for the experts who must have been hard at it for all of the waking day doesn't seem unreasonable and hopefully tomorrow will see the rest or most of them back out into the light!

He Who Knows is feeling 'heat wafty' today and has just taken himself off for a nap, it's so much cooler upstairs and I've dug out DD1s little fan from her room and popped it into the bedroom which I hope will make it cooler still, he's a poor boy!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 63,397 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I've just had what ended up being 1.5 hours' doze in the bedroom (faces south unfortunately, but curtains are drawn) and now i think i feel worse rather than better! I'm finding my joints are painful, especially my knees. I think someone else on the thread mentioned their knees were hurting recently. our living room is at 29.7 with the fan on.

kittie Is it too late to warn your plot neighbour that it will be too much for you? It might nudge her into buying some sort of watering system - I don't know what the proper name for them is.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 8th Jul 18, 6:19 PM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 49,157 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Amazing news of the cave rescues, I wish them all well.

Strange day weather wise, not as hot as it has been but feels hotter. At least the sun keeps disappearing behind clouds.

I've just had DS1 and the grandchildren here for the day, goodness I'm out of practice! The living room is strewn with toys, not sure I have the energy to clear them up today. That said, I feel so blessed to have them in my life now - I really am enjoying getting to know them.

I hope you all get a better nights sleep, I'm going in the shower in a minute, again!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 6:55 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,725 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've just stood and done the ironing.....I think I melted somewhere in the middle of it all and am now typing from a puddle in the middle of the kitchen floor, Oh me oh my I could find it in me to wish for some coolth!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    ivyleaf, I agreed face to face, to water her courgettes, she said if I could ensure that at least one plant survives. I was ok with that but I had an e mail late morning today, saying they were just about to leave and that she watered last night and could I water, A B C D E F G H. That is what pees me off, so many people are lovely and understanding of all I have to do and then!!

A watering system would have been a good idea except we cannot use hoses, she is a millionaire, multi times over but lives simply apart from being addicted to collecting a certain make of glass. Could easily have paid a village teenager. The holiday they are on is a cruise on a small exclusive ship and they have a private butler

I am also waiting for the call from my immediate neighbours, who would drop everything for me, they are going away for a week and have a greenhouse and endless pots and never think to keep their water butt full. I have to get their water from their kitchen. I cannot ever say no to them.

They are all going to miss me when I have gone

This heat is making life pass me by, far too hot to be out after 9.30, so I will be on the allotment by 7 and start to dismantle a few link a bord raised beds. They are superb and are not being made any more. I will have to take my time and be sure not to drop any dowels or joiners
    Last edited by kittie; 08-07-2018 at 7:37 PM.
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 8th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 17,231 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome back - Mar if you find your way over here come and visit with me :-)
    I'm hoping to stay awhile this time, if that's ok - had a really tough year, on top of a tough few years, but everything has now come to a head and I'm actually quite relieved i think.
    My health has really deteriorated, and I finally gave up work in June. I'm feeling all the better for that, as I'm able to pace my days now to suit what I can do, and am actually feeling a wee bit better.
    The downside is I'm living in penury - have a tiny amount of money to live on until i officially retire in 10 years' time, so am battening down the hatches and hanging onto every penny until it squeaks. "in theory" I should have enough if I'm very careful, and nothing major goes wrong - good job I'm an optimist! still making a little extra each month with my crafting, but my hands aren't that great these days to do too much.

I have a few veggies in the garden, a little fruit, and we now get home delivery from tesco which is a huge help price-wise. The 40 minimum for delivery will be challenging, but it will have to be done, as our local shops add 50% to the price of everything - even milk! I'm hoping to order every 3 weeks, and try and get every little thing I may need. It's a little easier now that I live alone.
    Hope all is well with you - look forward to catching up on all your news,
    WCS x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Went shopping and DH found some orgasmic blueberries he wanted, don't know why but I thought of Hester
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    ?????

WCS I know you will have tough financial times but you have no idea how long I've wished you could leave the job . You've survived tough times and I'm just so glad you wont be pushing yourself way beyond your comfort zone anymore . Wishing you well in your " Retirement " although as Hester and so many of us can confirm it seems a bit of a myth and life sends other stuff to fill our days .
    polly x
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 8th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    pandamonium
    Went shopping and DH found some orgasmic blueberries he wanted, don't know why but I thought of Hester
    Originally posted by silver-oldie

I'd have thought of Hester too!

We've just had an infestation of bugs in a kitchen cupboard. The culprit was an old box of ready brek, I think. Everything without an airtight seal has been binned and we are on bug alert every time we go into the kitchen. It was pretty gross. We've never had this problem before, I'm assuming the heat didn't help. It's being referred to as bugmageddon here. If anyone knows of anything that will kill off the little blight ers, I'd be very grateful..

Stay cool everyone.

Panda x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,161Posts Today

8,390Users online

Martin's Twitter