Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,511Posts
    • 32,125Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 402
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 39,293 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    No noise here, but glad we won May have to have a little (BIG) G&T to celebrate
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 7th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 25,290 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Afraid it isn't a good year for bilberries. I thought it was a bit early, but many of them are just a bit small and dry. I think they're suffering a bit. The leaves also look heat stressed. I got a few, but not enough for a full sized tart. Might do a mini one as I've got the filo out for tea tonight. I'm having a go at altering my spanikopita recipe. I really love it and the spinach is great for my iron levels so I've swapped to filo and I'm trying a reduced fat feta (and will watch the portion as well). We'll see how it goes.

I must confess to being a bit disappointed at the win. I'm not a fan of sport and find the shouting, drunkeness etc. very unpleasant so knowing there is more of it to come doesn't make me the least bit happy. OH has kindly been quite subdued in telling me the result although I imagine he is quite pleased.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 31,020 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Well, it's nice that we won, but not much point going to bed tonight as apart from the heat I'll be woken at intervals by people going past singing "Two-oo Nil, Two-oo-oo Nil, Two Nil, Two Nil" to the tune of Amazing Grace.
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    My best ever wake up from that kind of thing was just after we moved here. 2am and you can hear it coming up the road, a man singing "I can walk five hundred miles and I can walk five hundred more". Trouble was that was the only line he knew. He must have managed half way up the road before a woman shouted "Shut up" at what I assume to be the top of her voice. Without missing a beat he shouted back "You shut up you fat *****, I can walk five hundred miles I can walk five hundred more". For some reason I found it funny (probably because it was so surreal) and it cheered me up when our new house was still in the "oh what have I done?" stage of house moving.
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    July Grocery Challenge 73.72/250
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 7th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 60,477 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I did have an "Aaah" moment the other day when the Editor of i described his two-year-old DD chanting "Football comin' ho-ome", pausing occasionally to ask "Why it comin' to my house?"
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    • 12,065 Posts
    • 167,319 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've been watching the Hickstead Derby and seen some very brave horses and good horsemanship. I've also sorted quite a few of the kitchen cupboards, shed some surplus equipment and packed quite a lot of boxes, picked beans and courgettes and generally NOT been watching football, give me a good rugby match or game of cricket any day of the week!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Jul 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 28,635 Thanks
    MMF007
    I was supporting England from a chair in the sunny garden. When the first goal went in a roar went up from a distant pub, followed 2 seconds later by DH! I went inside to watch the second half but TBH I'd rather watch the tennis
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 7th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    babs 103
    I've been watching the Cricket, much more exciting, and we won by a country mile.
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

SPC #11 025
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 7th Jul 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Hi everyone - do we still have a "tougher" thread?
    Thx WCS
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 12,065 Posts
    • 167,319 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    This is IT Westcoastscot, the latest incarnation of the tougher threads without the word tough in it because that was causing some problems. We decided to hang out on the garden fence and chat instead so pull up a space, bring your cup and if you've got any cake or bikkies bring them too and join in the party, nice to see you back xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 8:36 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 42,995 Thanks
    Floss
    Have to admit that I was pleased Kyle Edmund wasn't on Centre Court until after the footie
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 7th Jul 18, 8:57 PM
    • 3,974 Posts
    • 54,769 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    DH is watching the football.

We went our for dinner and discovered the restaurant had karioke at 8pm. We left just before it started. I am sure the ladies at the hen night will still be enjoying it

Thanks for the helpful comments on volunteering I will progress over the summer
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    • 14,977 Posts
    • 143,693 Thanks
    mardatha
    Hi WCS, I was just thinking of you yesterday! Really meant to come up your way this summer for sure but Gawd thought otherwise and scuppered it. As he does lol. How's things?
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 8th Jul 18, 12:16 AM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 33,827 Thanks
    Softstuff
    We don't watch ball sports in general and we don't have normal telly either, so people react with disbelief when we simply don't know some major sports thing has happened!

MrsMac, I'm disappointed you didn't at least belt out one showtune before leaving
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Jul 18, 8:49 AM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 60,477 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    It wasn't as noisy last night as I'd expected - the fan was on, so that helped, and also I think people had calmed down a bit by then

Lovely to "see" you WCS, I hope you'll stick around

So, an even hotter day in store in this area.....I didn't mind it in 1976 when I was younger but it's getting a bit much now! Still, at least the washing gets dry fast
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 51,719 Thanks
    monnagran
    Morning all.

Millie and I spend our lives moving around the house in search of the coolest spot, in the dark as all the curtains are drawn. I had the fan going in my bedroom all night and it was still 26 this morning.

I did watch the football yesterday. If I thought my DS1 would read this I would leave that statement there. As he won't I'll tell you that I flicked between that and the cricket which I do love. We havent had the final analysis on the football yet, I guess he was too busy celebrating, but we are bound to today and I will be able to make a few intelligent-sounding comments. I won't mention the cricket or he will guess that I'm not being entirely honest.

I'm with you, Ivyleaf, 1976 is but a glorious memory. However, I do recall the struggle to keep 2 small boys cool and able to sleep, and the hosepipe going from the bath, across the landing, through the window, down the length of the garden to the vegetable plot. I also remember the mouthful of soapy water I got when starting to siphon the bathwater out. But we had a spectacular harvest that year. The veg we grew kept us going all through the winter. We even had gro-bags lining a balcony and tomatoes and cucumbers exuberantly draping themselves over the railings and hanging down the front of the house. Very continental.

No plans for today, except for trying to keep cool and sane.

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

And what do th the Lord require of you?
    To act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
    Last edited by monnagran; 08-07-2018 at 9:32 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 30,630 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Morning ivyleaf I wish you would tell the others you don't need to leave your washing out for 12 hours.

The whole flat stinks like a bonfire, it must be the moor fires.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 12,378 Posts
    • 78,165 Thanks
    kittie
    Grhh, some people have no empathy, my plot neighbour has asked me to water her plot (via watering can! ) while she is on a 3 week, very highly expensive holiday. She knows I am moving and starting a new plot, so need to move my allotment hardware as well as my home. I am tamping, fuming internally. I will give it a sprinkle from time to time but not my fault if it turns to a crisp, its hard enough to water my own via cans.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 47,308 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all.

I got married in 1976, we had a first floor maisonette, we also had a hose pipe running from the bath to the garden. It was the first and last time the ex grew veggies.

We went for a walk before it got too hot but we didn't get up very early, well I did but returned to bed at CHS'S invitation! When I got up again an hour later we were surrounded fishermen, how embarrassing!

No plans for today apart from watching the British GP, cooking lamb for lunch and reading my new book Tales from the White Hart. It's written by an MSE'er she serialized it on her blog Always another chapter, I'm enjoying reading it all in one piece.

Silver oldie, hugs, I hope you are ok today.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Jul 18, 12:24 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 42,995 Thanks
    Floss
    ...We went for a walk before it got too hot but we didn't get up very early, well I did but returned to bed at CHS'S invitation! When I got up again an hour later we were surrounded fishermen, how embarrassing!...
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    Only if there were waves on the cut, or the fish were coming out with their fins over their eyes
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 12,378 Posts
    • 78,165 Thanks
    kittie
    Time for me to be a sloth, my 2 hours very early on the lottie are long forgotten. I am sitting in a cave, like many, solar blinds almost all the way down and fan on and wearing loose linen. While being slothful, I am pondering. I did all my scale drawings, decided where my furniture is being placed and am so certain, that they are all stuck down.

Main bedroom is south with a small east window and a big south window, I have chosen to put my 3` bed behind the door on a feng shui position, the only way without my head being north and tbh the room looks balanced. The other beds will be on the north side with a small window facing east and a medium window facing north. If it is hot like this again in future (and it will be) then I will be sleeping in a north facing room. These old houses are well orientated

I was putting stuff away last night and looking at the 4 wardrobes in my house, all sorts in there, not just clothes. Argh, there will not be a single wardrobe in the new house and all I want are plain white painted cupboards with hanging rails and a few shelves. Cases, so many things to put away. I will not think about it, if the floors are done then they can be dumped in bedroom 2 which is not getting a cupboard

Too hot to read, too hot to spin. What are you all doing?

lol, HuH
    Last edited by kittie; 08-07-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

7,432Users online

Martin's Twitter