Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,736Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 401
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 6th Jul 18, 10:02 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 63,428 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    It is indeed cruel silver-oldie. I never could quite accept that my mum didn't know who I was. The strange thing was that when she died my brother and I didn't grieve. It was as though we had lost her ages ago and hadn't realised it at the time.
    I found that I could remember all the good times after she died. In a strange way it was if she had been given back to me.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    That makes perfect sense monnagran x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 53,800 Thanks
    monnagran
    Cranky, I have never been to Liverpool so will put it on my list of places I must go to. Don't worry about the wool on the spare bed, I'm quite happy to creep in underneath things. I adore cats and have always had one or two all my life until recently.
    If there is ever a vacancy for a grandma for the HT, I could supply references. A bit distant but he might like to get letters.
    You have obviously done a brilliant job with the HT and he sounds like a very nice young man. Your MIL needs a poke in the eye.

mrsmac, whoever interviewed you for the volunteering job needs the same treatment as Cranky's MIL. Volunteers are like gold dust around here. People are unwilling to commit giving up their time., or they would rather play golf. It's a wonder that people aren't fighting over you.

Sorry if all this is a bit disjointed, tablet is having a hissy fit and keeps freezing on me. I've been using it on and off all day but it still says that it is 100% charged. It cant be.

ETA MMF had to laugh about your Dad refusing to wear suncream. My dad was told never to go out without it because he had a precancerous spot removed from his face. My bro and I were electrified to see him going out one day with his suncream on. He had spread a streak of cream across his forehead, a streak on both cheeks and one across his chin. He looked for all the world like Hiawatha. We had to explain that you had to rub it in. I don't suppose he'd ever seen anyone rub cream in before.
    Last edited by monnagran; 06-07-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 7th Jul 18, 1:20 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Mrsmac, you really should try the volunteering again. I found when I was wanting to volunteer a few years back that some of the folk doing it or managing it wanted to keep their domain an exclusive clique and had a strong impression of who should or shouldn't be doing the roles. I found a position I fit well into and volunteered for a year, but was turned down for a few volunteer positions which, crazily enough, I have done and still do very similar paid work in.

Cranky, huge congratulations on the running. I keep asking people who've lost weight and gotten fit when exactly they stopped feeling fat, but so far I've not found one who has. One lady I know was gastric banded 10 years ago and lost 2/3 of her body weight before having a body lift. She still expects to see the fat her in the mirror. Odd ain't it?

I've never turned a cartwheel... hmm... wonder if I could learn at 40?
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Jul 18, 6:22 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    fuddle if you haven`t read my post, now a couple of pages back, on your rumblings, have a look

Yet again, the upside of the internet. I looked up the moduleo flooring that looked great in a shop. Found it on mumsnet and 4/5 posts were bad. Phew, I could have shelled out loads on that, what a very lucky escape. I have decided to go visit a large dept store, used to use them a different branch for furnishings and am going to examine quickstep, which had very good reviews. This company gives very good service, I know that and they cover my county. As long as I get a neutral colour like a light oak or something slightly warmer

This project managing of timings is key, getting the gutting done first and he will manage the plumber and electrician. I need different rads though, so will need to look up screwfix as there won`t be time to order via internet. 3 to 1 in the conservatory as it will be upgraded. Verticals in the hall and on landing and maybe in my bedroom, so I can use my lovely long curtain without trapping heat behind it. All 20 year old rads will be replaced, the bathroom rads are fine

Ok a trip out today, would you believe that I have never been to these places, I had no need, so thank goodness for satnav

I stupidly got a 1 deal on which and gave my visa card details. I will be cancelling later today and will inform my bank, they automatically take over 10 a time from next month. No way
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    I have ADHD and a lot of autistic traits. I like the idea of friends (and often feel lonely) but when I have make new friends I'm never quite sure what to do with them. I rely on my House Troll a lot as I don't always understand if people don't mean what they say....I can ask the boy and he will tell me what I should do if anything and if there's a meaning to what has happened that I haven't understood.

Silver oldie, if you lived by us the HT would love a grandma. My dad has vascular dementia and doesn't know who he is half of the time, never mind us and the HT's other grandpa died when he was 2.

:
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Cranky I think we must be related, that's exactly how I feel. I like the idea of friends but just don't understand. I then panic and say the wrong thing.
    I wish I lived nearer, a grandma for HT and Monna's neigbour but sadly I don't live near either of you
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 7th Jul 18, 7:59 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    My son says, doing an activity side by side with a friend is the way....he has some of these problems....go for a walk, a run , knit or do the weeding, board games such as chess, make new recipes side by side, talking if it comes naturally, happy in silence if not.
    Avoid alcohol type events eg pub.

This is also how he copes with us, his parents!

Finds life tough...currently on medication
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 49,458 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I found life on the cut very isolating, I went 15 weeks without speaking to anyone apart from CHS and much as I love him he's not great at conversation.
    I'm busy at the moment as DD2 needs childcare with her new job, once the last DGD goes to school I will have more time to fill. Both my DD's are happy to have me pop in for a chat which is good.

Cranky, I'm not going to offer to be a grandma to the HT, it would be greedy of me as I have so many DGC's already, but you have had lots of offers so I'm sure you are ok with that.

Mar, oh dear what ever next, for oh dear, insert swear words of your choice, as I feel like swearing when I hear about your shoulder and you feet.

Hugs to Silver oldie, you could say anything weird to me, I probably wouldn't notice.

Well done on the weightloss Soft Stuff, it must have taken real effort.

We moved again yesterday from Woolhampton to Ufton Nervet, fortunately the GP is on this weekend so we won't move now hopefully until Monday. We moved in 2 mile increments as we stopped to fill up with diesel and water, this meant walking from lock to lock to swing bridge, then walking back to the car, it the current heat it was a bit much. Once we finally moored DD2 phoned to say she's managed to sell something of mine that I no longer needed. She asked where we were as she knew we were moving again. When I told her, she said she was In Theale and would collect me and drive me to my car. What a relief! I was very grateful, it also gave her a chance to off load, as her husband is a bit down after his bad news last week.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 31,567 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Mrsmac that other person was talking rubbish. Home Start for instance - their volunteers are helping parents of young children in the very circumstances that have been described in this thread. You can volunteer to work in their shops or as a befriender/help to mum or dad or whoever has the children. I had a friend who had twins instead of her planned second and final baby and could only take her three children swimming with a Home Start lady because there wasn't enough of her to go round (safety rules for swimming with tiny children). How utterly rude of someone to say you don't have a sense of humour anyway, especially as they seem to be lacking in the tact and good taste department.

MMF not only has my dad never worn suncream, he once stunned my sister into silence (unusual) by sitting on the beach in a red hot day with his jeans on. He refused to change into anything cooler or more comfortable or to go in the sea. He also refused to go anywhere near the doctor when he had three TIAs over a period of time. Obviously the major stroke followed coupled with two heart attacks while he was in a coma which is why we are where we are now with him. He is in a nursing home in London but he thinks he is in a hotel in Blackpool. I actually spoke to his GP on the phone several times rather than writing and they pulled him in for closer examination during his other appointments. If you explain that you are giving information rather than asking for it they're usually quite helpful.

We're up early today (for a Saturday) as the HT is going sailing in a bit so he needs to build his strength up with a couple of meals first. He has two breakfasts under his belt (or somewhere in his digestive system) so far and will probably manage another one before we leave at 9:30. I need to go and make a packed lunch now as he will be starving when he comes back to shore. I'm going to go for a nice walk along the prom while he's afloat. I know he's safe with the people that he is sailing with but I like to stay close by rather than go home and fetch him afterwards so I have about 2 hours to kill while I wait for him.

Take care all of you
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 7th Jul 18, 8:22 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Cranky that is a lovely idea. At the moment I have decided not to meet people from online, but I'm reconsidering in light of your suggestion. I don't drive, and it takes me two trains and a bus to get to the TC and several hours, but I imagine we could find somewhere mutually convenient. That has more to do with the problem of going E/W on Manchester public transport than it does with distance. We can be there in around 25 minutes with OH driving (that isn't a comment on his speed btw ). You sound like a lovely person and a brilliant mum.

Tired trophy, I think your son has the right idea, but I'm sorry he is finding life quite tough at the moment.

I've just finished breakfast and have been working on a list of short excursions for next year during term time. I've decided to put them on index cards with the name, driving time, post code, opening hours, weather preferences and what there is to do there.

There is a bit more smoke this morning than there has been. I heard in the greengrocers yesterday that they're managing to keep it contained but that is all they'll be able to do until we get several consecutive days of rain. One day won't be enough to put the peat out. I think this is probably down to a change in the wind.

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,560 Thanks
    Floss
    FPK have you been up to Blackstone Edge? Its a lovely walk - we've done it in summer sunshine, spring & autumn drizzle and January snow
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 7th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    We haven't floss and it looks great! Is there a better place to park than Hollingworth lake visitors centre? Access to toilets is nice!

OH is waiting for me to get dressed to go to the shops. I think there may be a reason he wants to get back by 3 this afternoon
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,560 Thanks
    Floss
    FPK there are toilets there, and lots of dry stone walls for hiding behind
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Jul 18, 10:00 AM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 53,800 Thanks
    monnagran
    Just lost a post again. Fed up.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Speak the truth. Even if your voice shakes.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 49,458 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    DD2 has a friend who is autistic, we've known her since she was 4, she struggles with new friends too.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 49,184 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Friends are funny things aren't they? When you are young you seem to have hundreds and as time goes on they become fewer. I am very lucky to have quite a few close friends, one would have been the children's legal guardian if anything had happened to me after my DH died. I don't see her often now due to distance but when we catch up it's like we saw each other yesterday.

When DH died I saw who my true friends were, they are the ones I still have and the children (30, 29 and 26) are all very fond of them, they saw us through some rough times.

MMF, such a worry about your in laws but good if you step in now to try to get them some help before they have more serious problems.

You're doing a fantastic job there Cranky.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 7th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 63,428 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    DD1's "kindred spirit" best friend is autistic. They met on a forum! They text daily, and when they can they meet up in London to do something interesting and have lunch. DD recently spent a lot of money she couldn't really afford, to go by train to advocate for her friend at a PIP tribunal. I was sp proud of her, especially as they won her friend wanted to pay her the money back but she wouldn't take it, so friend paid for lunch instead.

I needed to pop into church this morning and on the way home I met a lady lugging a trolley full of shopping. She commented that it was very busy at the shops this morning. I said she should have waited until this afternoon as it would be really quiet then. She hadn't realised the football was on today.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 12,605 Posts
    • 174,759 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've just popped down to the village Co Op and I've never seen so many people buying large quantities of alcohol of all kinds, the queue in the shop was l o n g and both on the way there and back I saw people with boxes full of beer, wine etc. I think there are going to be some very sore heads later today and tomorrow morning whatever the result of the game this afternoon!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 7th Jul 18, 1:29 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Thanks Floss

Our shop was also crowded, perhaps made worse by the refurb, but traffic in town was also worse than normal, I expect many wanted to get home early today. We drove to another town for Aldi (only about 20 mins) theirs is much bigger than ours and had things we haven't seen in awhile. We stocked up on frozen fruit, so I think a smoothie might be in order this afternoon as a treat. Unfortunately even with the refurb I don't think our local shop will be able to get everything in, it is quite small as is the plot it sits on.

Maggie the cat has been very intent on a particular bush in the garden for a few days now. We thought perhaps there were mice or similar in there, I expect there are many displaced by the fires. OH has just come in to say that no, there are birds in there. I think Maggie may have to be watched carefully outside for awhile, she took a swipe at a young one but thankfully missed. The poor thing was not pleased that she was made to come in after that, she can't understand.

Right, I'm off to squeeze in some exercise and then if I have any energy left and it isn't too hot I may go up the hill to see what the bilberries are like. Should be nice and quiet up there while the match is on.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,560 Thanks
    Floss
    Ooh...bilberry & apple pie nomnom x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 7th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 63,428 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Well, it's nice that we won, but not much point going to bed tonight as apart from the heat I'll be woken at intervals by people going past singing "Two-oo Nil, Two-oo-oo Nil, Two Nil, Two Nil" to the tune of Amazing Grace.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,729Posts Today

8,319Users online

Martin's Twitter